Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SJI Age Limits

Options
  • 09-07-2014 3:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I remember being told before that there was age limits on kids for heights of ponies, i.e. you can only jump a 128cm pony up to 12 years of age, 132cm up to 13 and from 14 on you were on 142cm and up with horses from 16 years of age and older.

Anyone else know anything about this? Can't find anything on the SJI website.

I have a new (very tall!!) 128cm pony coming Monday who's life measured but my daughter is 11 now and I'd like to get more than 12 months out of him!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That's what I've always had in my mind re. the ages. That said, I never jumped in ponies when I was show jumping as the mare I had from 14 was over 15hh, so I was in horse classes from a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

From the rule book here:

2. The height of ponies and age of athletes shall be:

2.1 .1 128 - A category defined as 128cms, for ponies not exceeding 128cms in height, to be ridden by children up to the end of the year in which they reach the age of 12 years.

2.1.2. This category may be subdivided as 128cms, for ponies not exceeding 128cms in height, to be ridden by children up to the end of the year in which they reach the age of 8 years, (known as Under 8), or, to be ridden by children up to the end of the year in which they reach the age of 10 years (known as Over 8 and Under 10).

2.2 138 - A category defined as 138cms, for ponies exceeding 128cms but not exceeding 138cms in height, to be ridden by children up to the end of the year in which they reach the age of 14 years.

2.3. 148 - A category defined as 148cms, for ponies exceeding 138cms but not exceeding 148cms to be ridden by children up to the end of the year in which they reach 16 years.

Good luck with the pony! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Cheers, that throws a slight spanner in the works. The new lad is for my oldest who was 11 in march so she can only jump him until December 2015 which is effectively just the last few shows of this summer and next summer.

He'll be perfect for my 8 year old in time but am wondering is it too much of an outlay for one year (He isn't coming cheap unnfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

If he is valuable now, do you see potential to resell? You'll still get 18months under the belt!

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    If he is valuable now, do you see potential to resell? You'll still get 18months under the belt!

Even though he hasn't many SJI points, he's worth a small fortune as he is an excellent, safe, and very consistent jumper. Can jump anything from 60cm to 1.10cm, never ever refuses a jump. We had him in Cavan last year with very little practice and my daughter flew around. I know the owner well and I know he has refused a lot of money over the years for him but he's giving him to me to help rebuild my daughters confidence and said we'll work out a deal for him.
    I'm 100% fine with this as i know it will help my daughter but recouping the money next year worries me!! I can always keep him for my youngest but she didn't ride for nearly 12 months and now has my head fried to ride every evening!! How long that lasts is anyone's guess!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

I would totally just go ahead & buy him - If you are putting mileage & SJI Points on the pony it will up the value.. Pony's like that dont come along too often at all & it will give your daughter the confidence on the 128 circuit before stepping up to a 138.
    charlieIRL wrote: »
    Even though he hasn't many SJI points, he's worth a small fortune as he is an excellent, safe, and very consistent jumper. Can jump anything from 60cm to 1.10cm, never ever refuses a jump. We had him in Cavan last year with very little practice and my daughter flew around. I know the owner well and I know he has refused a lot of money over the years for him but he's giving him to me to help rebuild my daughters confidence and said we'll work out a deal for him.
    I'm 100% fine with this as i know it will help my daughter but recouping the money next year worries me!! I can always keep him for my youngest but she didn't ride for nearly 12 months and now has my head fried to ride every evening!! How long that lasts is anyone's guess!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

That pony sounds brilliant! It could be a great investment if he gives your daughter confidence and a fun introduction to SJI competitions even if only for 18 months. It sounds like he'd be easy to sell on too, there's always demand for safe, reliable children's ponies. Is he young enough to hang onto for your 8 year old if you couldn't bear to part with him? :)

That pony sounds brilliant! It could be a great investment if he gives your daughter confidence and a fun introduction to SJI competitions even if only for 18 months. It sounds like he'd be easy to sell on too, there's always demand for safe, reliable children's ponies. Is he young enough to hang onto for your 8 year old if you couldn't bear to part with him? :)

He's a brilliant pony alright but unfortunately we've decided not to go with him, I just can't justify the outlay for such a short period of time - I'll be in the same situation this time next year selling one and looking for another.

Am going to go for a 13'2 pony instead.

Both of my kids have been jumping a few years now marianne and the pony we got last october / november was to be the step up to 90cm+ plus jumping.

Am eating my words, we went to look at him last night just to put my mind at ease, you want to see the way she was jumping him after 5 minutes. Head says no, heart says yes as he'll be the perfect confidence booster and get her going on the 90cm courses she wants to do. Ohh my head hurts!!!:)

He's a brilliant pony alright but unfortunately we've decided not to go with him, I just can't justify the outlay for such a short period of time - I'll be in the same situation this time next year selling one and looking for another.

Am going to go for a 13'2 pony instead.

Both of my kids have been jumping a few years now marianne and the pony we got last october / november was to be the step up to 90cm+ plus jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Am eating my words, we went to look at him last night just to put my mind at ease, you want to see the way she was jumping him after 5 minutes. Head says no, heart says yes as he'll be the perfect confidence booster and get her going on the 90cm courses she wants to do. Ohh my head hurts!!!:)

I think you could get quite a bit of mileage out of him, especially if your youngest takes him over in time. A good 128 is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned :)
    It's entirely up to you, but if I were in a similar position I'd probably go with the 128, skip 138s and go straight into 148s when aged out, if they were to continue with the jumping.
    Do share how you get on, either way :)

• Advertisement

Joey. wrote: »
    I think you could get quite a bit of mileage out of him, especially if your youngest takes him over in time. A good 128 is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned :)
    It's entirely up to you, but if I were in a similar position I'd probably go with the 128, skip 138s and go straight into 148s when aged out, if they were to continue with the jumping.
    Do share how you get on, either way :)

I agree 100% about 128's. So hard find good ones and anyone who has a good one keeps them, like my other one!!!

Jumped him again this evening as I'm away till Saturday night and won't get a chance to get to him before weekend. Everything went so well again we decided we might try mullingar Sunday to see how they get on. I'll keep ye posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Buy him…. the best start you can give any child is a good pony. We never had much money to spend so i was always making and selling.I had some crackers go through my hands but the few pound to from a sale was used to pay for hay, feed lessons etc.

If he's as good as you say he will only appreciate!! the league and points your daughter clocks up will put value on the horse as well as giving ye all some grey memories

Brought them to Mullingar yesterday, flew around. Skipped over the 80's as if they weren't there!! Great to be back jumping after our 13 month holiday!!

Am taking the plunge and buying the pony! Sure why not, she's only young once!

Gonna be great to be back jumping again, even i miss the buzz of watching the kids fly around!

Advertisement