Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bit someone after hearing high pitched sounds

• 09-07-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Hi all. As much as it pains me to write this our dog bit my brother in our house today. Thankfully he did not break the skin (so in some way he controlled himself) and my brother is an adult so no harm done.

The problem is this, if our fire alarm goes off, door bell rings or a very specific phone ring tone goes off on the TV or anything he will bark, jump and become very distressed. It also used to happen if my OH knocke against crystal like things that hung from the chandelier but we removed those to stop it happening.

In this instance the fire alarm went off this morning (it is right by the kitchen door which is a bit of a nightmare) and when my brother was swishing a towel underneath to turn it off the dog was in hysterics jumping and snapping and he bit him quite badly on his back. Not a nip. A definite bite, I have seen it. My brother adores him and thankfully knows never to hit a dog so he got him into his crate and closed that until he got to check the bite and make sure he didnt break the skin.

We have consistently tried to train this out of him using reward based training but he is in a zone where we cannot reach him, and no treats have any effect like they normally do.

Up until now he has never bitten. Ever. He is a very well trained and well behaved dog is every other respect so I am wondering if particular sounds could be causing him pain? If so should I take him to the vet? Or could be be psychological - he was hurt as a pup (we think whoever did it must have had a phone that makes the ringtone noise which is why he becomes so distressed when he hears it). If it is psychological would getting a behaviorist in be our next step?

NB to ANYONE who thinks when a dog bites that they have to be put down / given up please do not post a response here. Our dog is a much loved family member with a very small problem which we want to work to resolve.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kaza2710 wrote: »
    We have consistently tried to train this out of him using reward based training but he is in a zone where we cannot reach him, and no treats have any effect like they normally do.
    Have a read of this post and you'll see exactly why that's the case and a good description by DBB on the over all process. Honestly I'd say a proper dog behaviourist coming home could help simply because they'll be able to help you start down the route of desensitivity training program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Thanks Nody, I have PM'ed DBB to ask about recommendations for behaviorists in our area.

Am just worried he might be in pain as I would hate to think that he was suffering. Could any kind of ear problem cause him to experience pain with certain pitches? Is it worth checking that out as well? Probably not based on the post I read as it does seem to be something that could be corrected by desensitizing training of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

All my dogs hate the smoke alarm but my terrier x gets incredibly upset if the smoke alarm goes off and paces around howling at the top of his lungs until it stops. Your dog got extra upset because your brother was jumping up and down and flapping around, acting out of character which caused even more confusion So in panic and fear the dog hit out. I wouldn't think these high pitched noises or the ringtone is related to him being abused either, I think some dogs just hate them and are super sensitive because of the pitch. Our normal house phone always makes my collie jump and she gets a bit uncomfortable until it stops. I wouldn't worry about anything physically wrong with his ears either, hes just getting extremely upset/fearful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Thanks, I do agree it's probably just a behavioral thing. Just being overly sensitive!!

It is so much more that howling though with certain noises he becomes vicious and his hackles rise. But only with these things he is such a docile dog normally. I think proper training from a behaviorist will sort it out. I dont think it is something we can just ignore or try to train out of him ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

kaza2710 wrote: »
    Thanks, I do agree it's probably just a behavioral thing. Just being overly sensitive!!

It is so much more that howling though with certain noises he becomes vicious and his hackles rise. But only with these things he is such a docile dog normally. I think proper training from a behaviorist will sort it out. I dont think it is something we can just ignore or try to train out of him ourselves.

He'll be fine, its a specific problem you can work on with the right person. In the meantime I would try to remain as calm as possible when he does get upset, poor old thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No input on the dog behaviour thing, but fire alarms that detect smoke are a PITA in or near a kitchen as they give loads of false alarms. A steak being cooked on a griddle pan, or even a piece of toast being toasted a little more than is good for it can set them off. You can get alarms that detect heat that are specially made for kitchens (and garages) that will eliminate false alarms like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Hi kaza have you tried using a noise desensitisation cd? They have everyday sounds that are distressing to dogs on them and the idea is you play them as part of a training programme on low volume first and then increase the volume over time. Could help him be less sensitive to high pitched noises I'm general. I've just got one that has a bany crying on it as I'm pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

change your doorbell for a start. Cheap and easy to do. while it is good that a stranger calling knows you have a dog present, it won't be good if the dog is agitated and bites the caller.

Advertisement