Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husky Dog

Options
  • 09-07-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I'm new to boards but really hoping I can get some advice regarding adopting a 4 year old Husky. The dog is being re-homed as its owners are separating and moving to an apartment complex. The dog is house trained, chipped, and is walked twice daily (approx 6/7 km), he generally seems to be a well socialized animal, mixes well with people and animals. We're friends of the son of the owners and have recently move into a new home in the country with a large dog run and plenty of space, we're both very active outdoors people and think that our lifestyle would suit him so we are thinking of adopting him. Ive been researching the breed for the past few days and its obvious they require extra care and attention so we really want to make sure that we're the right fit for the dog? Does anyone know if Huskys rehome well or if its hard to assert yourself as their pack leader when he hasn't grown up from a pup with you? Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hi, I'm new to boards but really hoping I can get some advice regarding adopting a 4 year old Husky. The dog is being re-homed as its owners are separating and moving to an apartment complex. The dog is house trained, chipped, and is walked twice daily (approx 6/7 km), he generally seems to be a well socialized animal, mixes well with people and animals. We're friends of the son of the owners and have recently move into a new home in the country with a large dog run and plenty of space, we're both very active outdoors people and think that our lifestyle would suit him so we are thinking of adopting him. Ive been researching the breed for the past few days and its obvious they require extra care and attention so we really want to make sure that we're the right fit for the dog? Does anyone know if Huskys rehome well or if its hard to assert yourself as their pack leader when he hasn't grown up from a pup with you? Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
    For starters what ever page(s) your read that claim alpha male and/or packet leader are pages you should delete and move away from. The theory behind them have not only been proven wrong by the science community in general but even the original doctor behind them has stated they are wrong yet they are still being told today as an actual truth.

Now with that out of the way the obvious thing to keep in mind is that they are very intelligent and escape prone with a high prey drive. This means they can (and will) dig / climb their way out of a "normal" dog run if you don't prepare it accordingly and require not only physical walks but as much exercising of their brain and should have very very careful unleash time (if any, inc. call back etc.). This means talking them for a walk twice a day is not going to be enough and you need to plan to put in more work than this accordingly.

Having said that if you're both outdoor people they can make a great companion to go with you if you're willing to put in the work and training required to go with it. Your work will be rewarded accordingly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mouseylocks

Thanks Nody, the run we have was previously used for grey hounds (around 15 of them so its a really big run) but i'm not sure how escape proof it is the fence is quite high probably 7 foot so i don't think he could jump it (though i could be proven wrong), but it had a grass base so he could probably dig his way out, how do owners typically prevent them from digging under it?

From reading other posts I'd gathered he may need more exercise both mentally and physically so we've really been thinking about how / if we can meet his needs. Ive seen a lot of people in my town buy huskys because they're popular/cute puppys and then a few years/months later they're trying to rehome them.

Regarding unleash time, the area we're moving into has quite a few farms as you said Huskys have a high prey drive, would it be ok/advisable to leave him off the leash in say the garden or would he always be tempted by chickens / sheep / lambs etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Regarding unleash time, the area we're moving into has quite a few farms as you said Huskys have a high prey drive, would it be ok/advisable to leave him off the leash in say the garden or would he always be tempted by chickens / sheep / lambs etc?
    Honestly I'd say no unleash time around any farms short of fully walled in area (think inside a house with closed doors) with no possibility to escape and then only outside that in an area with out farms AND with 110% sure recall and even that would be touch and go depending on the area.

Also 7ft high nets means they can climb over it so you'd need to look into doing something about both the ground and top of such a dog enclosure if used.

Also a caveat the above is talking in general for the breed; for all I know the Husky you have could not give a care in the world about hunting or escaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

From my experience and the info I have gotten from husky owners... is they are a lot like a cat character wise. Independent, great leap on them, want affection when they want it, not when you want it, not very food motivated. I think a lot of people end up very frustrated owning a husky if they have no idea what they are like.

Also I don't think I've met a husky that didn't have some sort of drive about them, I personally wouldn't leave one in a position where he could potentially terrorize other animals, I wouldn't put it past a prey drivey breed to do it for a bit of entertainment.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Sounds like they are a harry houdini breed of dog :-) thanks for the advice on unleashing think we'll go with a zero amount of time off the lead if we take him on.

As we are only going on the word of the current owners who are obviously going to say he's the best dog in the world, we just want to make sure we're fully informed on whats typical for his breed...but he does seem like a fabulous dog and from what Ive read if you put the time and effort into them they give it back to you twice as much!

• Advertisement

Sounds like they are a harry houdini breed of dog :-)

They are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭thereitisgone

What about food, here in finland huskys are normally fed very large amounts of fish in their diet what do the current owners feed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Huskies are fabulous dogs, and if you have an active lifestyle, it sounds as though you could give this dog a great home.

I have 8 huskies and never, ever let them off the lead in an unenclosed area, which would include a garden. I also had one here for rehoming that used to climb my fences like a cat.

Regarding the grass on the bottom of the run, I'd recommend paving slabs all around the bottom, under the fencing and jutting out a bit inside the run, as they do like to dig, and could get out that way.

As Nody said, pack leader is very old fashioned, and in fact huskies work really well when they are part of a team with the owner, rather than being dominated, they can be stubborn, but are definitely trainable, some of mine are food driven, and will do anything for a piece of hot dog or a bit of cheese.

Best of luck

The current owners feed him a Husky specific diet (no idea what that entails as of yet) but we'll get as much information as possible regarding what he currently eats, i love fish so i wouldn't have any issue incorporating fish into his diet if that's what he likes / what he's used to? I'll ask the owners as well if he's food driven at least then we'll know in advance how to get the best out of him.

They've also told us that he stays in doors a lot? is this typical for a Husky, i grew up with mainly Labradors and they were always outdoor dogs, saying that i wouldn't necessarily mind if he was indoors but went to bed outdoors?

Thanks for the tip re the paving slabs Muddypaws that's definitely doable, as the run is already there id prefer to use it rather than have to think about rebuilding it or changing it totally!

• Advertisement

The current owners feed him a Husky specific diet (no idea what that entails as of yet) but we'll get as much information as possible regarding what he currently eats, i love fish so i wouldn't have any issue incorporating fish into his diet if that's what he likes / what he's used to? I'll ask the owners as well if he's food driven at least then we'll know in advance how to get the best out of him.

They've also told us that he stays in doors a lot? is this typical for a Husky, i grew up with mainly Labradors and they were always outdoor dogs, saying that i wouldn't necessarily mind if he was indoors but went to bed outdoors?

They are very sociable dogs, so one of its own would do better in the house with its family, in my opinion. They love company, albeit other dogs or humans.

Foodwise, they eat less than most other dogs, due to their background, food wouldn't have been very plentiful, so they are great at utilising a small amount. My lot get frozen sardines every now and then as a treat, and they enjoy them, I also give them tinned fish mixed in with their kibble sometimes. A lot of people seem to have issues with their huskies when it comes to food, and think that their dog has allergies, but it is usually due to over-feeding. Mine are on Quest at the moment, a kibble made in the UK by a family that own sibes and are all doing well on it. Its expensive to get it over here though, so when I run out I'll probably be putting them back onto the Royal Canin 4300 high energy food as it will be coming up to working season.

Any pics OP? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Hooked

I haven't really a whole lot new to add that what Muddypaws says above... all great advice!

We have 2. And you really do get out what you put in. That goes for exercise AND food. We feed a half RAW half kibble diet. Kibble in the morning feed (we're having great success with Markus Muehle from zooplus) and a raw diet in the afternoon feed. Chicken, raw meaty bones, fish, fish heads - mixed with veg, brown rice, eggs. We buy from dogsfirst.ie

Our 2 are in a yard that is quite small. Huskies aren't exercised in a yard or run. They'll happily lie there most of the day... ONCE they're exercised at least twice daily.

As ye're an active couple - like us, then the sky's the limit. We take our two camping, hill climbing, bikejoring, running... they're my personal trainer.

Our house is their house. When I'm indoors, they're indoors. They're far far happier as a result. They are crate trained (I'm a MASSIVE fan of crate training) and sleep in their crate, indoors at night. If you can at all, keep him inside. Or he might get the urge to follow a small animal... or worse... HOWL!!!!

They're clever, quick to learn, stubborn and will test your patience at times. Expert diggers and climbers. BUT a well exercised Husky won't bother with digging and escaping. At least, our two don't! And they clean themselves, like cats. They don't have the traditional "doggie smell".

But whatever you do... don't let him off his lead. Not near a farm or small animals. High prey drive is an understatement...

Oh, and did we mention they blow their coat twice a year!!! :eek:

ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Just to add on about what others have said (although I have a Mal, not a Husky, they are very similiar) digging - yes, make sure you go down into the ground to doggy proof the enclosure. To give you an idea, Cooper has dug a hole in the corner of the backyard behind a bush that goes down at least the depth of 2.5 concrete blocks and is probably 2 blocks long at least. He literally could curl up in the hole. I'm just thankful that the builders who built the estate put the blocks that far into the ground! However it now makes a nice cool den for him on the hot days, and that is something they will do. Other than excavating that hole and one other at the base of another bush (hmmm...i see a pattern here) he hasn't dug any other holes and he hasn't enlarged either of those for a long time.

We also adopted a Mal when I was growing up - she was 12mths at the time and had no difficulty with her adapting to our family. Huskies, I'm pretty sure like Mals are not one person dogs which does make it easier if they do need to be rehomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Just out of curiosity, after reading this thread it just occurred to me I never see a Husky off leash in the area. Is this a general characteristic in Husky's to have such a high prey drive? Im assuming that's why most people keep them on lead. Do Husky owners feel they have to do a lot more walking than other dog walkers to kill the dogs energy?

My neighbours own a Husky and although the dogs spends from 7am - 6pm in doggy day care, they NEVER take the dog out for a walk in the evenings. I understand a lot of dogs would be exhausted after a full day in doggy day care but I always thought a dog as big and energetic as a husky would still require an evening walk.

(Sorry OP, I have zero experience of Husky's but very interested to see what they are like as pets!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I have a Mal who is 16mths and they would have similar activity levels to a husky, but more built for stamina and endurance than speed. I know when Cooper goes to Doggy day care for the day, he is exhausted when he comes home - he curls up in his corner and thats pretty much it for the night. If i got his lead out, he'd go for a walk because thats what they are like, but he's not looking for it, like he would be when he doesn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Hooked

Ashbx wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, after reading this thread it just occurred to me I never see a Husky off leash in the area. Is this a general characteristic in Husky's to have such a high prey drive? Im assuming that's why most people keep them on lead. Do Husky owners feel they have to do a lot more walking than other dog walkers to kill the dogs energy?

My neighbours own a Husky and although the dogs spends from 7am - 6pm in doggy day care, they NEVER take the dog out for a walk in the evenings. I understand a lot of dogs would be exhausted after a full day in doggy day care but I always thought a dog as big and energetic as a husky would still require an evening walk.

(Sorry OP, I have zero experience of Husky's but very interested to see what they are like as pets!)

As a general rule, yes... They should be kept on lead at all times. We walk our 2 twice daily and I have a rig on the front of my bike so I take him 'bikejoring', the older fella that is. As soon as the 7 month old is old enough, he'll go too. They are left 'sniff and wander' on long 8 metre leads - and we take them everywhere with us. On holidays, camping, etc...

So, on the face of it - it may seem like not being off the lead is a bad thing - but I'd argue that as everything we do is done as a group, that our dogs are happy out regardless. And they've plenty of freedom 'on the lead'.

Not waking a husky twice a day is unfair to the dog, depending of course on how much activity they get up to in 'day care'. They are a high energy breed, so require more exercise than most.

To an active and inclusive owner, they are fantastic pets. After our wedding next year, we'll be moving house - and a bigger house will mean one thing only...

More Huskies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,I dont want to scare the $hite out of you but have a read of this.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/huskies-among-most-dangerous-dogs-study-shows-191687.html

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Hooked wrote: »
    As a general rule, yes... They should be kept on lead at all times. We walk our 2 twice daily and I have a rig on the front of my bike so I take him 'bikejoring', the older fella that is. As soon as the 7 month old is old enough, he'll go too. They are left 'sniff and wander' on long 8 metre leads - and we take them everywhere with us. On holidays, camping, etc...

So, on the face of it - it may seem like not being off the lead is a bad thing - but I'd argue that as everything we do is done as a group, that our dogs are happy out regardless. And they've plenty of freedom 'on the lead'.

Not waking a husky twice a day is unfair to the dog, depending of course on how much activity they get up to in 'day care'. They are a high energy breed, so require more exercise than most.

To an active and inclusive owner, they are fantastic pets. After our wedding next year, we'll be moving house - and a bigger house will mean one thing only...

More Huskies!!!

Its a breed I always admire and would love to own one myself but I just don't think I have the stamina to look after a husky....they sound like a lot of work. I currently have a border terrier and a border collie so I know what its like to have energetic dogs! Im so grateful that I can let them off the lead and not have to worry - means less walking for me! :)

That's great that you get to do so much with your dogs! We brought our dogs on holidays to Sligo with us before and I loved it!

Good luck with the new future huskies (and the wedding of course! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/huskies-among-most-dangerous-dogs-study-shows-191687.html

Did you even read that article? It's raising the same points other posters have already raised rather than scaremongering like yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

We're friends of the son of the owners and have recently move into a new home in the country .....

I don't have much to add to the advice with regards to the dog, however if you're living in an area with plenty of farmers try to meet as many of them as you can (and be nice to them) while out walking the dog.

They're a lot less likely to....have unpleasant interactions with dogs when they know who's dog they are. Most farmers I know love a nice dog as long as it's not causing them any grief.

Also find out how they feel about walking dogs on their land, most of my neighbours are perfectly happy for me to bring my dogs onto their land, general rule seems to be if the gate is open it's okay. (don't let doggies do their business in a field of grass/sileage, it can be very bad for the cattle).

• Advertisement

The two incidents that were reported to have happened in Ireland weren't siberian huskies. One was a malamute, the other an akita or akita cross I believe. But why would we expect the press to publish the truth?

Huskies are currently suffering the same fate as pitbulls with regard to the media and hospitals. If something looks remotely like one, it will be reported as being one, even if it is an Akita, a Malamute, an elkhound etc. Same with pitbulls, so many incidents that are reported are different breeds of dog altogether.

Huskies should be very good with children, the inuit people who originally had them would use them for sledding during the day, and they would sleep with their children at night to keep them warm. Unfortunately, with the overbreeding by puppy farmers, there are some which have undesirable temperaments, so I'm not going to say that they are all great with children, as with any dog, care should be taken.

Advertisement