Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which road is better?

Options
  • 09-07-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I will be driving from Dublin to Caherdaniel in a few weeks time and am trying to decide on my route. Distance wise it seems much of a muchness whether I go M8 and leave motorway at Mitchelstown or go M7 to Limerick, but obviously the road quality can make a huge difference as well. So I was wondering, which road is better:

Mitchelstown to Killarney or
    Limerick to Killarney?

thank you very much :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

spaceylou wrote: »
    Hi all,

I will be driving from Dublin to Caherdaniel in a few weeks time and am trying to decide on my route. Distance wise it seems much of a muchness whether I go M8 and leave motorway at Mitchelstown or go M7 to Limerick, but obviously the road quality can make a huge difference as well. So I was wondering, which road is better:

Mitchelstown to Killarney or
    Limerick to Killarney?

thank you very much :)
    Neither, go through Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Is Cork - Macroom - Kenmare etc really that much better? Admittedly I haven't been there in a good few years, but I just remember west cork roads as being woeful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

limerick to killarney is a good road I can get to limerick to tralee in just over the hour. no real hold ups apart from adare getting through abbeyfeale is usually ok. mitchelstown to killarney road is patchy as far as I remember my sister used to live in fermoy and we would go through Mallow but not through killarney. I do not think it has changed that much.

Also much faster to up through molls gap to sneem after hitting killarney and avoiding kenmare it is a shorter route to sneem and the roads are pretty similar.

Neither, go through Cork city.

you have to be kidding?! its about an hour and a half from cork to the turn off for kenmare and another 30 mins to kenmare through bad roads which continue all the way to Caherdaniel.

sheesh wrote: »
    you have to be kidding?! its about an hour and a half from cork to the turn off for kenmare and another 30 mins to kenmare through bad roads which continue all the way to Caherdaniel.
    OP take heed, it's hard to argue with this marvellous advice that tells us it takes 2hrs to Kenmare from Cork.

• Advertisement

do what ever you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I would say it depends on what day of the week your travelling... If its a fri afternoon when you hit adare.. Newcastle west.. Abbeyfeale.. It'll be a nightmare journey for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

It will be a Thursday - picking up my sister from the airport around 11 am and heading down from there - guess will be hitting the non motorway roads around 2/3

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

spaceylou wrote: »
    It will be a Thursday - picking up my sister from the airport around 11 am and heading down from there - guess will be hitting the non motorway roads around 2/3

only one option for me M7 Limerick-to castleisland-farranfore(left and next right)castlemaine Milltown (keep right(Killorglin Cahirciveen Waterville Caherdaniel . LONG TRIP But i do it very regularily

Live in South Kerry and would never go the Limerick route. If I had to go from Dublin to North Kerry I'd possibly take it. But for me the best option would be the Dublin Mitchelstown Mallow Killarney Sneem route. And anyone I know in South Kerry who travels to Dublin regularly takes that route. The route around Cork isn't bad, you stay on the motorway longer but it is longer too, by my reckoning 20 mins or so.

• Advertisement

OP take heed, it's hard to argue with this marvellous advice that tells us it takes 2hrs to Kenmare from Cork.

OP take heed indeed and don't go via cork city when driving from Dublin to Caherdaniel.

only one option for me M7 Limerick-to castleisland-farranfore(left and next right)castlemaine Milltown (keep right(Killorglin Cahirciveen Waterville Caherdaniel . LONG TRIP But i do it very regularily

You have your answer here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Mitchelstown to Killarney is not a particularly good road and traffic can be bad in Mallow.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Mitchelstown to Killarney is not a particularly good road and traffic can be bad in Mallow.

Much depends on the times, but traffic jams in Adare are about the worst around...but would suspect that with the day and time the poster shouldn't be hitting any jams anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

As you're able to bypass Killarney town centre, possibly best for the occasional driver to keep to the simplest route and follow above, but at Farranfore, continue to Killarney, take 3rd exit at the Lidl roundabout and head straight to Killorglin - then glenbeigh, cahirciveen, waterville & Caherdaniel.

Supervalu/Gala in Cahirciveen for food shopping en route if required.

A lot of work has been done on the Adare to Killarney road over the past couple of years, so a lot of safe 2 lane passing stretches and castleisland is bypassed.

Timewise at regular pace is about an 1hour 10min from Adare to killarney & about the same from Killarney to Waterville.

OP take heed indeed and don't go via cork city when driving from Dublin to Caherdaniel.
    Original, did you come up with that one yourself?.
    OP the answer to your question is that there is very little difference in it timewise and roads wise etc., it basically boils down to which route you would prefer scenic wise, Killarney-Molls Gap-Sneem or Killorglin-Glenbeigh-Cherciveen.
    Personally I'd do both, one on the way there and the other on the way home.

Original, did you come up with that one yourself?.
    OP the answer to your question is that there is very little difference in it timewise and roads wise etc., it basically boils down to which route you would prefer scenic wise, Killarney-Molls Gap-Sneem or Killorglin-Glenbeigh-Cherciveen.
    Personally I'd do both, one on the way there and the other on the way home.

Norfolk you're not being very nice to people who are simply trying to help out the OP.

Do you still recommend driving through Cork city or has that piece of insight been put to one side?

Advertisement