Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dog...what to do?

• 09-07-2014 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

My neighbours have a puppy, no expert on age but I'd say about 10 wks old. They have had him for about a month now. He's left outside most of the day and while he looks well enough I've just brought him into my house and by the amount of water he drunk he's seriously under hydrated. There is no food or water bowl left out with him from what I can see . We also live on a very busy main road and I'm terrified he might wander out and be killed.

I've rung DSPCA twice in the last week and no one got back to me. What can be done? I'm seriously tempted to steal the poor thing and drop him to a rehoming centre in the hope he will get put in the care of a responsible owner. Everyone says I can't do that and I know its awful to even think it but this family are not the sort of people to listen to my concerns and I hate seeing this little guy suffer.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Id keep ringing the DSPCA, no water or shelter is an offence. You could also ring the dog warden and report there. I would feel the same as you about taking him but its not the best idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thanks for the reply maggie, I'll keep trying but its very hard seeing this poor chap left out most of the day, he's totally vulnerable at that size and he's a dote, I know he'd be snapped up by a family who could give him the care he needs. Its very hard to pass him by and do nothing as a dog owner myself, my gut instinct is to rescue him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'd feel conflicted. One on hand I couldn't put him back out. On the other though they might just go out and get a new pup, will you rescue that too?

Against all my instincts it might be better to leave the SPCA to deal with it. That way they may rescue the puppy and the owners might think more on it than they would if their pup simply went missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Only yesterday a little dog came to our gate he was meant to be white but was almost black with dirt and in need of a serious grooming. My daughter took him in and we phoned the no on the dog tag. Did you lose your dog I said. Possibly was his answer.Well I said you did or you didnt because your phone no is on the tag. After a minuit he says yes its mine you can drop him down to me. I said no can do (even though I could) I gave him my address and 5 mins later a big fancy 12 car arrived and the wee dog didnt even wag his tail when he saw him. The man just caught him and threw him into the back seat like an old rag. If he went away he says I wouldnt even go looking for him. The wife and kids wanted him .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

OP you arent in Donegal by chance? cos im having the same problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement