Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish and Canadian authorities sign reciprocal driving license agreement

Options
  • 09-07-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Or for BC, just started on this myself here and did the computer test last week for both car and motorbike, its such a hassle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

What are the odds of BC implementing this between now and January...? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stevplum

Does this come into affect straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

stevplum wrote: »
    Does this come into affect straight away?

In Ontario I think its already begun.

For BC? I think hell will have to freeze over.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

If you get the Ontario licence are you okay to then drive in other states e.g. B.C.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Against wrote: »
    If you get the Ontario licence are you okay to then drive in other states e.g. B.C.?

Yup.

Don't like the idea of a license exchange though. I did mine the old fashioned way, did my written test and skipped straight to the final driving test to get my Ontario license, which I now hold as well as my Irish one

• Registered Users Posts: 5 murdock1970

I contacted Service Ontario about this. They replied on Aug 15th as follows:

"Thank you for contacting ServiceOntario.

We apologize for the delay in getting back to you; your message was recently redirected to us.

The details for the exchange process in Ontario have not been completed but, they are in the final stages.

A date when the exchanges can begin has not been announced.

We hope you find this information helpful"

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I contacted Service Ontario about this. They replied on Aug 15th as follows:

"Thank you for contacting ServiceOntario.

We apologize for the delay in getting back to you; your message was recently redirected to us.

The details for the exchange process in Ontario have not been completed but, they are in the final stages.

A date when the exchanges can begin has not been announced.

We hope you find this information helpful"

Good to know! Hope it happens soon!

Anybody know how far on this agreement actually is or how I could go about finding out, as my 60 days grace is nearly up and it's important I have a licence for work.. Otherwise Is it true that I have to start from the very beginning of the Canadian licence procedure,seems a little silly as I have a valid full Irish licence??.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Anybody know how far on this agreement actually is or how I could go about finding out, as my 60 days grace is nearly up and it's important I have a licence for work.. Otherwise Is it true that I have to start from the very beginning of the Canadian licence procedure,seems a little silly as I have a valid full Irish licence??.

I'm guessing at least a year. Don't hold your breath.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You do the written test first, then skip through to the final test. You can get it all done in a month id say and you'll have a basic license as soon asy pass the written exam.

From what I heard, the licence exchange program is now working. Rumour has it that you can go to 777 Bay to exchange your licence.

From what I heard, the licence exchange program is now working. Rumour has it that you can go to 777 Bay to exchange your licence.

And where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Phonehead wrote: »

It's only for Ontario I see. No sign of an agreement for Alberta yet.

Heard it initially from work colleague.

Also received following email from Service Ontario.

Thank you for contacting ServiceOntario.

If a person wants to drive in Ontario and has a valid driving licence from one of the other Canadian provinces or territories; Canadian Forces Europe; Australia; Austria; Belgium; France; Germany; Great Britain; Ireland; Isle of Man; Japan; Korea; Northern Ireland; Switzerland or the United States then for details about Out-of-Ontario driver’s licence exchanges to an Ontario driver’s licence please see the information and links provided on the webpage at drivetest.ca

"will be allowed to exchange it for an Ontario class G licence if they have two or more years of driving experience in the past

Heard it initially from work colleague.

Also received following email from Service Ontario.

Thank you for contacting ServiceOntario.

If a person wants to drive in Ontario and has a valid driving licence from one of the other Canadian provinces or territories; Canadian Forces Europe; Australia; Austria; Belgium; France; Germany; Great Britain; Ireland; Isle of Man; Japan; Korea; Northern Ireland; Switzerland or the United States then for details about Out-of-Ontario driver’s licence exchanges to an Ontario driver’s licence please see the information and links provided on the webpage at drivetest.ca

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bizguy

This is brilliant news! Does anyone know if the exchange can be done in any of the centers in ON or must it be in Toronto?

Any update on this, I could really do with getting it changed over. I'm well over the allowed time frame.
    Also if it is possible anyone know if it can be done in Cambridge, Kitchener or any surrounding areas??.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

It is now available in Saskatchewan too. I'm in Alberta and no news so far. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and just do the test again.

• Advertisement

Any updates? I don't fancy doing another driving test. :confused:

Nope - nothing at all being mentioned about it since last October when they brought in the agreement with Ontario.
    My boyfriend got his at the weekend - he said it was grand as the tester knows its just a formality & that he had years of driving experience. I'll be doing my theory this week :eek: and the driving hopefully in 2 weeks. Its a pain but its gotta be done

JenL wrote: »
    Nope - nothing at all being mentioned about it since last October when they brought in the agreement with Ontario.
    My boyfriend got his at the weekend - he said it was grand as the tester knows its just a formality & that he had years of driving experience. I'll be doing my theory this week :eek: and the driving hopefully in 2 weeks. Its a pain but its gotta be done

Think I'll finally have to bite the bullet too and do the test.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Anyone know if I can drive rental cars using my Irish license even if I've been in Canada over two years? I'm not a Canadian resident.
    I contacted Service Canada but they can't give me an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

As far as I'm away the rental company doesn't usually care and will give you a car on an Irish license.

That said, if you are involved in a incident, they might easily use the argument that you were not legally allowed to drive since you've been in the country over 6 months on a foreign license, and you could be without insurance.

COYVB wrote: »
    Yup.

Don't like the idea of a license exchange though. I did mine the old fashioned way, did my written test and skipped straight to the final driving test to get my Ontario license, which I now hold as well as my Irish one

I know this guy has a closed account but I'm not sure how he was able to keep his Irish licence after gaining a Canadian licence. You can only hold one driving licence at any one time, can't you?

It is illegal in Alberta to hold an Alberta licence aswell as any other licence.

https://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm

Still no info about a reciprocal agreement but since Varadkar moved from being the Minister for Transport nothing more has changed really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

el diablo wrote: »
    I know this guy has a closed account but I'm not sure how he was able to keep his Irish licence after gaining a Canadian licence. You can only hold one driving licence at any one time, can't you?

Correct. In BC, they take your old license off you and shred it before taking the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

I did my test in Ontario 2 years ago, they didn't ask me to hand in my Irish one. So I've both now. I think it depends on who you get though. I'd to do a written test to get the G1, but was able to skip right ahead to doing the G.

Also my other half took the rest in Ireland 5 years ago. He wasn't asked to hand in his Canadian one, so he holds both too. He could have swapped it for an automatic only but he would have had to give up the Canadian one. He could drive standard anyway so just did the Irish test.

So if it's illegal to hold 2 licences both countries slipped up!

• Advertisement

CBCB2 wrote: »
    So if it's illegal to hold 2 licences both countries slipped up!

It's illegal in Alberta to hold an Albertan and any other driving licence -link above. Ontario has it's own rules.

Advertisement