Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish and Canadian authorities sign reciprocal driving license agreement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

In BC they only brought in the rule a couple of years ago, prior to 2013 (I think) you could hold 2 licenses so would keep your Irish one, since then you have to surrender the Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Ah ffs, there's only seven Irish people living in Manitoba. :(

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stevplum

Be careful, my mate from back home in Ireland called me last week and explained, apparently someone came back to Ireland from canada recently and their Irish drivers licence is no longer valid after it was given back to them in canada. They now have to re-do the practical and theory again.

My mate heard this through the joe Duffy show. After the first caller there was many others who followed by calling in and complaining about it.

I think shame on the two countries that they can't sort this issue out. How hard is it. It's easy done everywhere else in the world eg Australia.

I find everything is made massively over complicated in canada. That's just my opinion from my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Good to know. Thankfully I should be ok, as I was able to renew my licence when I was home last October. It was due for renewal then anyway I didn't let on that I hadn't been living in Ireland. So I'm good now until 2024. I'm moving home in a few months so I'll probably still be there in 9 years!! haha!

stevplum wrote: »
    I find everything is made massively over complicated in canada. That's just my opinion from my experience

Couldn't agree more. It's mad how complicated they make things. Also I find everything here is designed to make money!!

CBCB2 wrote: »
    Good to know. Thankfully I should be ok, as I was able to renew my licence when I was home last October. It was due for renewal then anyway I didn't let on that I hadn't been living in Ireland. So I'm good now until 2024. I'm moving home in a few months so I'll probably still be there in 9 years!! haha!

So do you also have a Canadian driving licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

stevplum wrote: »
    Be careful, my mate from back home in Ireland called me last week and explained, apparently someone came back to Ireland from canada recently and their Irish drivers licence is no longer valid after it was given back to them in canada. They now have to re-do the practical and theory again.

My mate heard this through the joe Duffy show. After the first caller there was many others who followed by calling in and complaining about it.

I think shame on the two countries that they can't sort this issue out. How hard is it. It's easy done everywhere else in the world eg Australia.

When I rang the NDLS to get my driving record sent out, I asked if this was the case (surrendering my license in Canada means losing it altogether)- the guy assured me that I wouldn't have to re-apply for my license. I'll be pretty angry if it turns out that they were giving out misinformation :mad: drives me nuts how hard it is to get a straight answer on this.

AmyPL wrote: »
    When I rang the NDLS to get my driving record sent out, I asked if this was the case (surrendering my license in Canada means losing it altogether)- the guy assured me that I wouldn't have to re-apply for my license. I'll be pretty angry if it turns out that they were giving out misinformation :mad: drives me nuts how hard it is to get a straight answer on this.

I was also told that if you surrender your Irish licence in Canada then you'll have to reapply for your Irish licence again if you return home.

And still no sign of a licence exchange agreement between Ireland and Alberta.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

el diablo wrote: »
    So do you also have a Canadian driving licence?

Yeah I have an Ontario one and an Irish one.

My OH is Canadian and lived in Ireland he has both too, they didn't ask him to surrender his Ontario one in exchange for his Irish one.

He did have to sit the test though, they would have given him a straight swap for an automatic only licence. So he did the test to get a full licence. That was in the pre NDLS days.

That might be where people are having trouble the agreement as far as I know is that for North American licences is they can be converted into automatic only. As I know a couple of Americans who have automatic only licences for this reason.

• Advertisement

Here's the info straight from the NDLS. In summary, no, you don't need to resit your test after surrendering your license.
    Thank you for your email.

We do not currently hold an exchange agreement with Vancouver. If they do require you to surrender your Irish liecnce there i.e. hand it over to them, then upon your return to Ireland you can apply for a replacement Irish licence provided your Irish licence has not expired by more than 10 years.

In order to make an application for a replacement, you will need to present yourself at your local NDLS centre. All applications have to be made in person by the driver.

You will be required to provide the following:

An application form D401 signed and stamped by An Garda Síóchána
    Passport
    BC Canadian licence (not to be surrendered only to be produced)
    Proof of your PPSN
    Proof of address dated within 6 months if changed since your last licence was issued
    Fee of €35

If you answer 'Yes' to any of the medical questions, then a medical form D501 will be required. The medical report must be submitted within 30 days of the date of the medical.

If you have any queries in relation to this communication, please contact our Customer Services Team on +353 (0) 761 087 880 and quote your case reference number, or visit the National Driver Licence Service website www.ndls.ie

Yours sincerely

Customer Services Team
    National Driver Licence Service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

June 22nd its happening. ICBC employees for BC received a memo this afternoon. Said it'd be announced in the coming days. 31 dollars and they take your Irish one.

FFS and I surrendered my license three days ago. Can't believe this. If I'd just held onto it for another couple of days. I'm actually raging.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    June 22nd its happening. ICBC employees for BC received a memo this afternoon. Said it'd be announced in the coming days. 31 dollars and they take your Irish one.

Just BC? Any news on Alberta?

FFS and I surrendered my license three days ago. Can't believe this. If I'd just held onto it for another couple of days. I'm actually raging.

I also submitted my licence a few days ago (in Calgary). Surely you can avoid doing the test if the agreement is finally implemented?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Canada is more like a loose confederation of separate countries in some ways, each of them jealously guarding their laws and tariffs. This deal should have been federal, between the govts of Canada and Ireland, but that would have been too easy.

I rang the ICBC and they said it isn't retroactive. Because I'm now on a learner's permit and already surrendered my license I can't avail of this. Just thinking of all the hassle I'd be avoiding if I'd just waited another couple of days to do my bloody knowledge test- sickened! :(

I rang the ICBC and they said it isn't retroactive. Because I'm now on a learner's permit and already surrendered my license I can't avail of this. Just thinking of all the hassle I'd be avoiding if I'd just waited another couple of days to do my bloody knowledge test- sickened! :(

That's annoying. :( You know what the waiting time is for processing it in BC?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

el diablo wrote: »
    I also submitted my licence a few days ago (in Calgary). Surely you can avoid doing the test if the agreement is finally implemented?

I actually kept following this thread even after I got my Ontario licence just to see when you would cave and finally sit the test! :pac:

RichFTW wrote: »
    I actually kept following this thread even after I got my Ontario licence just to see when you would cave and finally sit the test! :pac:

Ha ha, I've been putting it off for far too long. Now you can finally unfollow this thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Im going to burn ICBC down for this.

Cūnts

Looks like my previous post can be ignored, I rang them today and the ICBC person told me that people who initiated the process prior to June 22nd are still eligible as long as they haven't failed a road test. He seemed a lot more knowledgable than last night's person and read the relevant section of the memo out over the phone from me. Just need to pop in from the 22nd onwards with a copy of driver history apparently.

Yup, my friend who works in ICBC informed as well.

I have my driving history sent over, odd thing though is that it doesn't say what kind of licences they were (full or provisional) hopefully it will still work though.

Hmm, mine has two sections: Full License Detail and Learner Permit Detail with dates and categories for both.

Debating whether or not I should contact NDLS and request a more recent one. car2go wouldn't accept it because it was >90 days old, I have no idea if the ICBC are as fussy.

Hmm, mine has two sections: Full License Detail and Learner Permit Detail with dates and categories for both.

Debating whether or not I should contact NDLS and request a more recent one. car2go wouldn't accept it because it was >90 days old, I have no idea if the ICBC are as fussy.

I had a feeling that they might have made a balls of it, and it would appear so yes.

I might just get them to re-issue one with proper sections, ICBC are a pain in the head at the best of times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I believe your licence itself should work as proof of driving experience, assuming it was issued more than 2 years ago. It has a date of issue on it.

I also have a Driving History letter from NDLS, but it was issued last summer. Not sure if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Wow, lucky I read this here as we are heading over end of month!

Arcto wrote: »
    Wow, lucky I read this here as we are heading over end of month!

Where?

Anyone have a link confirming the reciprocal agreement between BC and ROI?

I did a search and can't find any info.

• Advertisement

Its not been released yet, but people calling ICBC have confirmed it. Just waiting for the proper announcement.

Advertisement