Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish and Canadian authorities sign reciprocal driving license agreement

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

No need to get a new one but you will need to get your driving history off NDLS.

They won't keep your license either, as far as I know it will be shredded.

Why do the Ontario dudes shred it? Isn't that a major pain if I come back? Will I have to resit an Irish test?

Is there any way that I can just use my Irish license in Ottawa?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

newwan wrote: »
    Why do the Ontario dudes shred it? Isn't that a major pain if I come back? Will I have to resit an Irish test?

Is there any way that I can just use my Irish license in Ottawa?

Think you can use your Irish license for up to six months or something but maybe it's different for Ontario. Think you would have to resit the Irish test if you hand in your Irish license for an Ontario license. And there is a reciprocal agreement between Ireland and Ontario so the NDLS will know you relinquished your Irish license.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

You don't have to resit the test when you get back as long as your Irish license hasn't expired. Best to renew your Irish one before you come over so it will be in date longer. You should also take a scan of the new Irish license (front and back) so you can use it to get insurance in Ireland if you come back for a few weeks and want to drive.

Insurance is crazy expensive in Canada so best do the swap to get the full Ontario license. Otherwise you will have to go through the Ontario system which I think involves getting the equivalent of a provisional and having to wait another 2 years before you are eligible to sit the full test.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Grand so will I apply for a brand new one here before I leave so I have 10 years on it? Or will my Irish one be no good if and when they Ontario dudes hand it back to me?
    Get the letter from NDLS, and give it and your license to ServiceOntario when you get over here.
    Just file a "lost license" form when you get back to Ireland, and you'll get your license back.

the_syco wrote: »
    Get the letter from NDLS, and give it and your license to ServiceOntario when you get over here.

Just file a "lost license" form when you get back to Ireland, and you'll get your license back.

Don't think that'll work if you have an Ontario license because they'll know you handed in your Irish licence due to the reciprocal agreement. Works for Alberta licenses though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

the_syco wrote: »

Yes lying on an official form that needs to be witnessed by Gardai. Super idea :rolleyes:

Yes lying on an official form that needs to be witnessed by Gardai. Super idea :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The letter from NDLS is the "Driver Statement/ Letter of entitlement".
    From the NDLS;
    As there is no exchange agreement in place with Alberta Canada, it would be expected that you would apply for the Canadian Driving licence by entering their licencing system as a first time applicant and by taking the relevant driving tests prescribed for applicants in that country.

If they take up your Irish licence in order to issue you with a Canadian licence then you would be required to ask to have your Irish licence restored to you when your stay in Canada ends. If they confirm to your that they are not, at that time, in possession of your licence then you would be required to declare this licence as lost.

In order to make an application to replace a lost licence you will need to present at an NDLS centre. All applications have to be made in person by the driver.

Please be advised that there is a booking system in place. This service is available exclusively online. We advise that you make an appointment prior to presenting to the NDLS centre. If you cannot avail of this, every NDLS centre nationwide offers a number of walk-in appointments on a daily basis. Please be aware that available appointments for people walking in are on a first come first served basis and may become unavailable. These walk-in appointments cannot be reserved or booked. It is advised to attend the NDLS centre as close to the 9am opening time as possible to avail of a walk-in appointment.

You will be required to provide the following:

An application form (D201/D401) signed and stamped by An Garda Síochana as a declaration that the licence has been lost
    Current Canadian licence
    Photographic ID: Passport
    Proof of your PPSN
    Proof of address dated within the last six months, if your address has changed since your last licence was issued.
    Fee of €35
    If you answers 'Yes' to any of the medical questions, then a medical form D501 will be required. The medical report must be submitted within 30 days of the date it was issued.

The new licence will have the same expiry date as your existing licence. If the licence that you surrendered would have expired then the fee applied would be €55 as oppose to €35.

As part of the application process your photograph will be taken, so there is no need to submit photographs with your application

If you have any queries in relation to this communication, please contact our Customer Services Team on +353 (0) 761 087 880 and quote your case reference number, or visit the National Driver Licence Service website www.ndls.ie

Yours sincerely

Customer Services Team
    National Driver Licence Service

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

el diablo wrote: »
    Don't think that'll work if you have an Ontario license because they'll know you handed in your Irish licence due to the reciprocal agreement. Works for Alberta licenses though.

Why would it not work? Isn't that the whole idea of reciprocal? Both sides both know about the exchange and recognise it

I know nil about it but I'd be amazed if it wouldn't work. Otherwise it wouldn't be called reciprocal. It's be a 1 way yokie or whatever the opposite of reciprocal is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

The province of British Columbia has been added to list of authorities you can exchange your licence for in Ireland. Great news!

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2017/minister-ross-announces-reciprocal-agreement-exchange-driving-licences-british
    [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Minister Ross announces reciprocal agreement on exchange of Driving Licences with British Columbia[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, "Helvetica Neue", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Tahoma, "Helvetica Neue", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Friday 11 August 2017
    The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Mr Shane Ross TD, has today signed an agreement with the Canadian province of British Columbia on reciprocal exchange of driving licences.
    This means that holders of Irish driving licences who take up residence in British Columbia may now exchange their driving licences for British Columbia licences, and holders of British Columbia driving licences taking up residence in Ireland may exchange their licences for the Irish equivalent.
    Speaking today, Minister Ross said ‘I am very pleased to announce this agreement on driving licence exchange with British Columbia.  For some time now we have been working towards agreement on driving licence exchange with the Canadian provinces.  With this agreement we now have exchange arrangements in place with four of the ten provinces, meaning over half of Canada’s population is now provided for, and work is continuing on reaching agreement with the remaining six.’
    ‘This agreement will be of particular benefit to Irish people who have moved to British Columbia or are planning to.  It will also help people from British Columbia – including returning Irish emigrants – to move more easily to Ireland.  This agreement underlines in particular our commitment to Ireland’s diaspora, whether those currently seeking work abroad or those who wish to come home.’
    The agreement with British Columbia is the fourth such agreement with a Canadian province, following those already in place with Ontario, Manitoba, and Newfoundland & Labrador. 
    Ends
    Press Office, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport 01 604 1090 / 01 604 1093  
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [size][font][size][font][size][font]  [/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size] [size][font][size][font]
    Initial Publication Date: 
    11/08/2017

[/font][/size][/font][/size]

• Advertisement

Joe Schmo wrote: »
    The province of British Columbia has been added to list of authorities you can exchange your licence for in Ireland. Great news!

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2017/minister-ross-announces-reciprocal-agreement-exchange-driving-licences-british
    [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Minister Ross announces reciprocal agreement on exchange of Driving Licences with British Columbia[/font]

I thought BC was added a couple of years ago.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

For some reason, BC would exchange Irish licences for a BC one, but Ireland would not exchange a BC one for an Ireland one- http://www.icbc.com/about-icbc/newsroom/Pages/2016Jan20.aspx
    I'm not sure why, but based on the above this agreement must have been signed a few years ago but only now is the Irish authority implementing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

In nut shell if you turn up at the NDLS and say you want to get your Irish drivers license back . You can get it. Transfer from a BC to Ireland provided it is within date, like it would have expired by 2020 for Example.

Also is there any case where you would have to go through the whole Irish learner driving course again. Even though you drove in Ireland for 20 years before getting a Canadian license?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

And what about Alberta. When are they going to have a reciprocal agreement?

The 12th of Never. Don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 crimon222

I too would like to see Alberta jump on the reciprocal agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Joe Schmo wrote: »

This is great also because i can change my BC motorcycle licence over when i get back to Ireland as well.

Happy bloody days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Yup yup yup

Guys any idea if time spent on a learner permit counts as driving experience in Ontario?.

Have my full Licence less than two years but my learner permit quite a while.

Really don’t want to surrender the full Irish one for a learner permit and wait until my full Licence is over two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

In BC they took my wife's learner permit and let her go straight to "New Driver" instead. Still has to spend 2 years on that to sit the actual (piss easy) driving test.

Advertisement