Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optic question

Options
  • 09-07-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Lads thinking of getting 36-44 mm objective lens on scope for .22
    The rifle is quite short and compact and want to keep it neat as possible
    Is ok to go with smaller objective for rimfire ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

For target or hunting?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Shaner82

Strictly hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

What's you budget and what mag are you after? What would you be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Shaner82

Budget is between 2-3
    Just wondering is it ok to go for smaller objective or should I stick with the 50mm

I'd say unless you're shooting in low light that you'd be sound. For your budget you could look at the Hawke endurance /nite eye range. They would suit you sound. If that doesn't suit then hawke or bushnell would do the job grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Personally I wouldn't go less than 40mm, gives you a good field of view compared to a smaller objective, used a 3-9 x 40 for years on my 22, but now use 50mm. You'll still get a fairly light scope with 1 inch tube and 3-9/12 mag in 50mm. It's all the whistles and bells, 30mm tube, bigger mag, illuminated cross hairs etc, that will add wieght. Think about what you will mainly be doing with it, then its a trade off between compactness, wieght and what you really need in a scope.

A second hand hawke endurance 3-12x50 would be a good bet. There's bound to be one in the for sale thread, actually. I think there is,. If you can get one you'll be well sorted. Should be able to pick one up for under €200...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Shaner82 wrote: »
    Strictly hunting

Hunting what? Smaller game, I assume.

As a rule of thumb, you want big magnification for little targets and little magnification for big targets.

Also, generally speaking, bell size matters when you shoot at dusk or dawn, without a lamp. When shooting in low light (without a lamp) the bigger the bell, the great the light gathering capacity of the scope.

I use a 3-9x40mm Burris Fullfield II on my 10/22 and Burris Illuminated E1 on the 700 for hunting deer.

THe 3-9x40mm works great lamping bunnies at night. Have hit them at considerable distances.

Which is more important, the low end magnification or the high end? Or, are they equally important. The problem is that when you gain the high end, you lose the low end: 3-9, 4-12, 5-12, 6.5-20, and such. Bigger magnification means a smaller field of view. I have lost a few bunnies that flushed at my feet when I had the magnification set at 9x.

I bet the 40mm would be fine. The one thing I like about scopes with small bells is that you are able to seat them close to the barrel.

Advertisement