Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belfast to Iceland from £31 one way

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thargor wrote: »
    Also what do you think of the chances of being able to rent a 4X4 on a provisional license up there?

Absolutely zero. You are not licenced to drive outside of Ireland so a hire firm would be facilitating you to break the law and hence won't do it.

Hiring a car without a full licence for 2 years is next to impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

No chance to rent a car with provisional licence.

I have been in Iceland twice. I drove through the whole island. First time in Toyota rav4 in November. Second time Toyota Land Cruiser in June. In November my car had tyres with spikes.

If any of you are looking a good car rental. Try www.geysir.is

From Reykjavik area to Vik roads are perfect. Tarmack. About 80-100km pass Vik gravel starts.

Just to give you an idea how the road is looks like outside the main towns.

Photos taken in 2010.

P1050964_zpscdeda877.jpg DSC_0633_zpscc145221.jpg DSC_0564_zps44c636f9.jpg DSC_0555_zpscb87224f.jpg DSC_0550_zps4445c314.jpg DSC_0548_zps7c1d9ee2.jpg DSC_0113_zps5e3e5f45.jpg DSC_0028_zps8ac3e9d0.jpg DSC_0017_zps8767ff5c.jpg DSC_0014_zps3d970329.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Slipshaney wrote: »
    Its there alright on wowair.co.uk, after Copenhagen and before Dusseldorf

Only on the main page actually, not on the booking page

ok, I see it now. Didn't seem to be there last night ...perhaps they were updating the website or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I suppose I could just buy a piece of sh1t from the local classifieds in Reykjavik as long as it runs, done that in Scotland before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I suppose I could just buy a piece of sh1t from the local classifieds in Reykjavik as long as it runs, done that in Scotland before.
    How will you get insurance when you have not got a valid licence?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're still not legally allowed drive there (or Scotland, or anywhere other than accompanied in Ireland).

Most countries have police who treat driving unlicensed extremely seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks for the pics Greg81, some superb shots there. Just wondering how you would rank those roads if you rented a car rather than 4wd? Do-able but uncomfortable or completely out of the question? The other worry I suppose is chippings from the gravel scratching the paint work, any ideas is this par for the course in Iceland given the roads or do rental companies go charging when the inevitable happens ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I cant seem to get it below €160 in june, Im also thinking of doing that trek, what dates are you looking at?

Also what do you think of the chances of being able to rent a 4X4 on a provisional license up there?

I can't remember the dates as I just threw in some random dates to see what it came back with. I think it was something like depart on a Tuesday and come back on a Monday.

Zero chance of renting with a provisional. I've been in your boat before as my primary mode of transport in Ireland is a motorbike and bicycle, I rarely drive a car so always just had a provisional. But as I travelled more it used to wreck my head not being able to rent a car so one summer I did my test. Still had to wait two years beyond the pass date so I could actually rent a car but I'm glad I got it sorted as there are a ton of places out there where not having a car is a huge disadvantage because buses either don't run in scenic areas or they don't stop to take that photo you really want. So my advice is to just get your test sorted out, its a pain in the hole when you know you won't drive a car at home here in Ireland but at the end of the day I was going to have to pass the test sometime so glad I got it sorted and can now rent abroad with no hassles.

Also I researched that trek earlier this year with the intention of doing it the summer just gone. I opted not to as the price of flights and having to go via the UK put me off but I'm now planning it for June or July 2015. If you're planning on doing the same make sure you pre-book huts to stay in for the 4 or 5 nights as I believe they can fill up. This is the organisation who book them
    http://www.fi.is/en/huts/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thanks for the pics Greg81, some superb shots there. Just wondering how you would rank those roads if you rented a car rather than 4wd? Do-able but uncomfortable or completely out of the question? The other worry I suppose is chippings from the gravel scratching the paint work, any ideas is this par for the course in Iceland given the roads or do rental companies go charging when the inevitable happens ?
    On a Subaru Forester (2.0, 4WD, auto) from geysir.is

Super CDW (€ 15/day)

Sand and ash protection (€ 10/day)

Gravel Protection (€ 10/day)

Two people could sleep comfortably in the back.... :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Those pictures have better surfaces than a lot of tarmac roads in Ireland!

Muahahaha wrote: »

Lets call it it would be "unconfortable" to use non 4wd car. I would recomend to use 4wd. You can buy extra insurance to protect against gravel chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you saw the Walter Mitty movie, the roads look a little different than that.
    Ben-Stiller-in-Walter-Mit-008.jpg

Saruman wrote: »
    If you saw the Walter Mitty movie, the roads look a little different in that.

True. There are places with roads like that.

DSC_0743_zps1c56c369.jpg DSC_0745_zpsdf5cfe71.jpg DSC_0713_zps4a5a7a61.jpg DSC_0646_zps9a42582f.jpg DSC_0480_zps644a3ab2.jpg DSC_0444_zpsf063513e.jpg DSC_0283_zps3790c96d.jpg DSC_0282_zps9f59944a.jpg DSC_0074_zps3978b90b.jpg

All that empty road and a 90kph speed limit at most.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

€118 return to Keflavik all summer long.
    Wow from Dublin 2 June - 29 September

Not sure if it's a bargain as you only save €90 on normal prices, bags cost extra & it is a very expensive place. http://www.groupon.ie/deals/getaways/ga-wow-air-2/59828530

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

snubbleste wrote: »
    €118 return to Keflavik all summer long.
    Wow from Dublin 2 June - 29 September

Not sure if it's a bargain as you only save €90 on normal prices, bags cost extra & it is a very expensive place. http://www.groupon.ie/deals/getaways/ga-wow-air-2/59828530

I've always wanted to go Iceland and now I am :-)

€118.00 return is a good deal.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Myself and my girlfriend just got the Groupon flights there. We'll probably rent a car and do the ring road around the island.

One of the guys in work was there the other week. They rented a car and had to be rescued from a snow storm. Hope you have better luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Myself and my girlfriend just got the Groupon flights there. We'll probably rent a car and do the ring road around the island.

Be sure you read up on the advise for car rental , ash damage cover etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

There's one here in Longford, but I wouldn't bother flying, you could drive it in 3 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ive just picked 2 dates on their website (Jun 28th - Jul 2) without purchasing the groupon and the price is still €118.

Is the groupon just advertising for flights at the price they are anyway?

retalivity wrote: »
    ive just picked 2 dates on their website (Jun 28th - Jul 2) without purchasing the groupon and the price is still €118.

You are right but I'd prefer to go in September - end of peak season, cheaper accommodation and the weather is supposed to be good (hopefully).

Also I went through fatcheese.ie for 5% cashback from Groupon :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

retalivity wrote: »
    Wowair.ie sez €200.42 for those dates.
    I presume you enter (please enter the Groupon voucher code in the "Gift certificate" field) to acheive the €118 price

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Also I went through fatcheese.ie for 5% cashback from Groupon :-)

In my experience, its fat chance getting anything from fatcheese.ie

dermiestv wrote: »
    In my experience, its fat chance getting anything from fatcheese.ie

I've used them before and I got my cash back paid out. It did take a while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

All booked in, 24/09 - 29/09. Thanks OP! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

how does the groupon work in this case?

does all fights go down to free as you already paid Groupon?

bpb101 wrote: »
    how does the groupon work in this case?

does all fights go down to free as you already paid Groupon?

Groupon send you a link to book your flights on the Wow airlines website. They also send you a code. You put in your code that Groupon sends you and the money comes off. It's a similar idea to putting in a discount code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Groupon send you a link to book your flights on the Wow airlines website. They also send you a code. You put in your code that Groupon sends you and the money comes off. It's a similar idea to putting in a discount code.
    its says the flights from 119 are limited ,
    so what the deal , are there many left at 119?

if you buy the groupon , are all fights between june and september 119?

• Advertisement

bpb101 wrote: »
    its says the flights from 119 are limited ,
    so what the deal , are there many left at 119?

if you buy the groupon , are all fights between june and september 119?

Ya, if you buy the Groupon all the flights between June and September are 118. Myself and my girlfriend booked our flights yesterday. Without the Groupon the flights would have been 204 each.

I think the limited you are referring to is the availability of the Groupon offer itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rcanpolat

Cool, must head there some time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Ya, if you buy the Groupon all the flights between June and September are 118. Myself and my girlfriend booked our flights yesterday. Without the Groupon the flights would have been 204 each.

I think the limited you are referring to is the availability of the Groupon offer itself.

Did you see availability for weekends?

Did you see availability for weekends?

I think they only fly to and from Dublin on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. We booked Sunday to Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Jeez, lucky I checked my voucher... my Groupon deal for Reykjavik that I got a week ago has to be booked by tomorrow !

Oh that's a nice feature.
    The groupon deal didn't apply any discount at all. I went in straight on the wowair website and the price for the flights I booked were the same as what I paid for the voucher.

I see what they did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

did you find a solution to this Samhail? i am having the exact same probem but there is no way that is right.

samhail wrote: »
    Oh that's a nice feature.
    The groupon deal didn't apply any discount at all. I went in straight on the wowair website and the price for the flights I booked were the same as what I paid for the voucher.

I see what they did there.

What dates are you looking at? The price of my flights without the voucher for my chosen dates would have been €204.

• Advertisement

I guess it was just an advertisement for wow air to get people to buy flights.
    If you miss out on the flights at that price then you have to pay the difference. I initially looked at flying the week after the one I picked, and it would have cost me about 450euro total, so I would have had to pay the difference after €118 voucher was used.

i am looking at 28th july - 6th august. but they are just taking the €118 that i have already paid groupon off the price of the tickets (€270 so they are asking me to pay €152 on top). the groupon clearly states that the cost of the return flights is €118, not that the €118 is a discount?

What dates are you looking at? The price of my flights without the voucher for my chosen dates would have been €204.

I booked 18/06 --> 18/06. I added baggage and airport connection (though should have paid the extra 2 euro to goto the hotel rather than the bus terminal, hopefully i can change that)

RedivideR wrote: »
    i am looking at 28th july - 6th august. but they are just taking the €118 that i have already paid groupon off the price of the tickets (€270 so they are asking me to pay €152 on top). the groupon clearly states that the cost of the return flights is €118, not that the €118 is a discount?

It does state:
    Groupon value: €118.00

and I saw somewhere else that said that flights at this price are limited, so hurry... but can't find that right now

RedivideR wrote: »

I wasn't asked to pay the 86 euro difference in my fare. I clicked on the link to the Wow air website that Groupon sent me and put in my dates. It came back that the flights were 204. I then put in my code that Groupon sent me and the flights were brought down to 118.

That's weird, did you get any extras that would be outlined on the right?
    I didn't see that.
    When it says it expires tomorrow... is that tomorrow... or like 20min time :)
    Maybe you can call them tomorrow.

• Advertisement

samhail wrote: »
    I booked 18/06 --> 18/06. I added baggage and airport connection (though should have paid the extra 2 euro to goto the hotel rather than the bus terminal, hopefully i can change that)

We added a suitcase between the two of us. We'll be there for a week so we'll probably need it. We added the airport connection for two as well. It came to €100 for the suitcase and return airport bus. The actual airfare was still on €118 though.

the only extras i have added are seats for €3 each way but it is still asking me to pay €117.66. the flight costs €235.66 altogether. this is definitely wrong.

Ye boys were getting me worried that I didn't add it up right before I paid :)

Payment details

CHARGE(S)
    Adult fare EUR 83.31
    Taxes EUR 34.69
    2 x BAG1 EUR 58
    Fees EUR 21.00

PAYMENT(S)
    MSCD - ****072322 - 13Apr 2015 EUR 79
    CASH - ******** - 13Apr 2015 EUR 118
    EUR 197
    BALANCE EUR 0.00

Fairs where 118, then I paid 58 for baggage, and 21e for transfers.
    79e came from my mastercard, and 118 was used with the voucher.

Looks OK on my side.

did you have to put in your credit card details before you got the discount? also how much did just the flight itself say it would cost before voucher?

€197 before I put in the voucher.
    emmm - I put in the voucher before I put in my cc details and paid for the outstanding amount.
    I need to hit the hay, up in 6 hours for the gym... need to get a rockin body for all the beach time in Iceland! all 6deg C of it.

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement