Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XCOM (PCMR Edition)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

christ all might, ball park, what is the duration of the long war mod because the regular game get intense by month 3 or 4
    It is VERY long and VERY hard (it's Normal on original XCom which is two steps above normal of Xcom Enemy within) because they ramp up the number of missions you do (you'll easily see 25+ UFOs a month inc. once you will not be able to shot down and have a mission ever 2 days and since your troops got fatigue you need to rotate a lot more); I got my base invaded by month 4 (I had only laser weapons >< ) and because of the additional changes you easily fall behind and have to restart. For example I went on a light mission in Japan (i.e. 9 to 12 spawns) during the third month; I faced 2 Sectopod Commanders among those spawns... It's really really huge challenge and if you want to get an idea I'd recommend Northenlion's series on them; oh and to scar you permanently have a look at his first attempt at the Newfoundland mission :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Gluttons for punishment is the only term that applies here lads...you're mental :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Lads, I've only started playing EU yesterday (I know, wtf like?). Should I go for a playthrough on vanilla first, or is it worth getting the DLC straight away?

This may have been answered already, but I only skimmed the thread for fear of spoilers. :o

Oak76 wrote: »
    Lads, I've only started playing EU yesterday (I know, wtf like?). Should I go for a playthrough on vanilla first, or is it worth getting the DLC straight away?

This may have been answered already, but I only skimmed the thread for fear of spoilers. :o

Get the DLC. It's a far more complete game with it, and has quite a few excellent additions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

what kiith said, enemy within is the game enemy unknown should have been from the start. That being said, the original was fantastic too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I find a big part of the early stages of Enemy Within is unlearning some of the well established tactics you'll have figured from playing Enemy Unknown. The EW content does change how the game works, and like the others, I'd say for the better, but EU with no add-ons is still a fantastic game so I wouldn't get too worried about needing to get the extra content.

Thanks guys. I'm off out for the day now, but I'll check around for the best prices for the three DLC items tonight!

Try g2play for a decent price on the expansion, you might be able to pick up the vanilla version for free or trade on steam or even here on boards if you're lucky

Try g2play for a decent price on the expansion, you might be able to pick up the vanilla version for free or trade on steam or even here on boards if you're lucky

Thanks man - picked up Enemy Within there for a tenner, and I'll grab the others after I sell a few TF2 keys!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Oak76 wrote: »
    Thanks man - picked up Enemy Within there for a tenner, and I'll grab the others after I sell a few TF2 keys!
    One is armor coloring only; the second is two or three missions.

D'oh, too late. Ah well, only cost a couple of TF2 keys over on Steam Trades.

So i'm streaming an ironman marathon game atm, In the second month. Things are going well so far.. :D

So who wants their username up as a nickname on a commonly used soldier?

here's the stream if you're interested, gimmie a shout here or on steam if you're up for seeing yourself immortalised/martyred in this epic campaign :)

Sure why not. Assault class with a shotgun if you use them...right in the thick of things :P

Done :)

Sweet, here's hoping for a herioc death...cause i'm pretty sure i'll die, though hopefully not by a Chryssalid implantation :eek:

Also...cheers, i always wanted to be a Russian chick :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

I'll gladdy take an Assault class :p

will sort you out after this mission marko :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Can I be a sniper? :D

will sort you out after this mission marko :)

My luck I'll probably get the record for fastest death. :pac:

Angron wrote: »
    Can I be a sniper? :D

Sorting ye now :)

• Advertisement

Feel free to make me a Heavy. It fits :p I caught the start of your stream last night, will keep an eye out this evening when I get home :)

sorting ye out now :)

Have ye's all in there now, will continue on with it later this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Are ya playing with the long war mod? Must check it out when I get home. I'm halfway through beaglerush season 2 long war run now. And if you've room, can you stck me in as a medic!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Have ye's all in there now, will continue on with it later this evening :)
    Cool, hopefully my net will stop being poopy and let me watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Can I be support. Extra moves, extra smoke and always the first to run away and cover my tracks. I promise to drop any medipacks while sprinting behind the nearest MEC, SHIV or flowerpot!

Patser wrote: »
    Can I be support. Extra moves, extra smoke and always the first to run away and cover my tracks. I promise to drop any medipacks while sprinting behind the nearest MEC, SHIV or flowerpot!
    As Captain Hero from Drawn Together often said: "Save yourselves!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Angron wrote: »
    As Captain Hero from Drawn Together often said: "Save yourselves!"

You're in line to be 1st Friendly Fire kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Captain Kirby at the ready, sir! Make me whatever you feel you need. :)

I followed you on twitch so I'll know when you are back on. Should be fun to watch.

Will do, i have room for one or two more if ye are interested, though i think all my assault's are full.

Will try and get Irish soldiers in too at some point.

Not using long war, it's just too cruel and gruelling, playing a heap of second wave options on Ironman, Marathon Flanking angles etc.. ye can see which ones here

Starting up the stream again now in a few, just need tea first :) Again gimmie a shout in here or on steam as i play in fullscreen and only have the one monitor, i know.. the lower end of the glorious master race :D

Iggy & Kirby (edit & Patser) i'll add ye there as soon as i get on

• Advertisement

I'm only maria on the weekends...... :p

I think most people got women, they were just the highest ranked soldiers i had

Operation : "Get Nidges Drugs" was a complete success.

Blowing up that gas station was harsh though.....Somebodies livelihood man!

Watching now! Jasus, don't say my one died already :(

UFO missions always scared the crap out of me. They always used to take twice as long because I'd be so careful with my guys...........

marko93 wrote: »
    Watching now! Jasus, don't say my one died already :(

Not yet :)

Kiith, your Russian soldier has a death wish. "I choose to die!" when she enters battle. :p

I think you did :P No worries, I'll gladly take anything! :pac: (Mec/Sniper/Anything with some action :o )

Kirby wrote: »
    Kiith, your Russian soldier has a death wish. "I choose to die!" when she enters battle. :p

And she didn't even get the Blue Peter Medal for her courage/insanity :P

• Advertisement

"Kirby throws a Grenade!"
    "It's Super Effective!"

:D

That last mission was bugged, i've saved it anyway but most likely will have to abort the mission and RTB which means higher panic in india - no big deal i have a satellite nexus coming online this month anyway so it should work itself out, cheers for watching, that was a bit of craic :)

That last mission was bugged, i've saved it anyway but most likely will have to abort the mission and RTB which means higher panic in india - no big deal i have a satellite nexus coming online this month anyway so it should work itself out, cheers for watching, that was a bit of craic :)
    Which exact bug? I've had a few missions bug out with for example extraction missions not completing with all members and the person in the circle. Running everyone out of the circle and back in again got the game to realize we were actually all there.

it was an exalt hack mission, one of the dead exalt guys was still targetable and the mission refused to end because of it, tried a few different methods of making him despawn but ended up just saving the game and quitting.

It happened when he was initially killed - he healed himself for 4 points and then died - i actually laughed out loud because it looked hilarious, continued teh mission anyway and all the while he was there on the ground laughing back at me lol

Fixed the bug, resuming game from the save sorted it. Anyways, streaming again if you want to catch up on the shennanigans :)

Can I make a suggestion? You only have one monitor therefore cant read twitch chat without alt and tabbing. Why not view your stream on your phone? That way you can read chat and response on the stream. :)

• Advertisement

The Android version of the Twitch App has a "chat only" mode too (I'm sure the iOS flavour behaves the same) which is most convenient for such things.

Alternatively, stop thinking like a Console Peasant and get 2 more screens :p

Russia has left XCOM.

I blame Kiith.

Не вините меня за моей стране быть куча куриных дерьма :pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    Не вините меня за моей стране быть куча куриных дерьма :pac:
    You say he did what with the COW!()*£!"&!!

Я знаю, что это не была корова, но куры; но коровы дают так гораздо больше возможностей!
    :p

God damn, now i want to play this again. Gonna start a Long War game later, after reading about all the changes. 8 different types of MEC trooper? Hells yeah :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement