Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiation measurement

Options
  • 09-07-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

just wondering has anyone had a radiation level measurement done in west of the city, the east of the city is underlain by limestone, the east has granite-type rocks underneath our feet... just thinking is it worth the expense of getting a measurement done

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well, recent report by the Radiological Institute placed a couple of Galway homes in the top few worst homes in the country (think they were over 20 times the safe limit, same as getting 15 chest x-rays every day apparently), and the county in general had a huge number of cases that were over 10 times the safe limit, so definitely worth getting done I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'd recommend it, for the reassurance.

Not expensive, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Well, recent report by the Radiological Institute placed a couple of Galway homes in the top few worst homes in the country (think they were over 20 times the safe limit, same as getting 15 chest x-rays every day apparently), and the county in general had a huge number of cases that were over 10 times the safe limit, so definitely worth getting done I would imagine.

yeah, it was their report that prompted me to ask, definitely worth it esp.with young 'uns running / crawling around.... was just wondering if other boardies that had a measurement done would post their results, no address of course, just road or street etc. ta

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What is the benefit in knowing? From what I understand if your house isn't already vulnerable to it, it's only a matter of time. Take the measurements to deal with it now rather than wait...or at least that's my stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What is the benefit in knowing? From what I understand if your house isn't already vulnerable to it, it's only a matter of time. Take the measurements to deal with it now rather than wait...or at least that's my stance.

I think newer homes were constructed with a radon barrier on the lower floor, so if your home is new it will probably never be vulnerable. Older homes are most at risk and a high reading would indicated having some kind of radon barrier retrofitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My mum had it done several years ago and it was 2 or 3 times the safe level. That was on the west side of the city. At the time fitting a sump to deal with it cost around 5000 euro,or so she was quoted, it was just to expensive so nothing was ever done about it in our house. All of her neighbours were in the position to my knowledge and no one got it fixed. I'm not sure what price a sump costs these days.

Really it's an issue we should all try lobbying politicians over for the next election when they're coming to the door. There really should be grants in place to help finance the necessary measures to deal with it. So much of Galway is affected it might an issue we could achieve critical mass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Zzippy wrote: »
    I think newer homes were constructed with a radon barrier on the lower floor, so if your home is new it will probably never be vulnerable. .....

If its not put in right, it'll make really bad in whatever room its leaking into

Until you get it checked, go "foreign" style and open all the windows/doors for a good while every day

€56.90 for two little testers

"Here you can access our quick and easy online application and payment for a radon measurement in your home or workplace. The cost of a radon measurement for your home is €56.90 (inc VAT @ 23%). "

http://www.rpii.ie/Measurement-Services/Radon-Measurement/Services/Apply-For-Measurement-Online.aspx

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We got ours checked (in our 2006 built house), and it came out within the acceptable levels. We used that RPII crowd and they were excellent.

The option you have if it's over the limit, is to construct a sump. Worth every penny if you ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

So much of Galway is affected it might an issue we could achieve critical mass on.

i really wouldnt be holding my breath if i were you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

i really wouldnt be holding my breath if i were you

Can't safely breath the radon laced air, can't hold your breath. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement