Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baitcasting lures; yay or nay?

Options
  • 09-07-2014 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭

Gents I've been looking for a light rod just to start off sea fishing.

Sea angling has never been my bag in the past, freshwater flies and spinning were my thing and I'm getting back into them too at the moment.

Looking to keep it light, just off some rocks near piers or the end of beaches maybe as the freshwater would be my main focus. My uncle who is into pier fishing has suggested some lures on a baitcaster road and multiplier as he knows some people that have got into it in the last while and enjoy it.

Just doing some googling on lures etc. it looks like it would suit me, less hassle than traces, weights etc.

Anyone have any opinions yay or nay on it or any alternative suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

What are you hoping to catch?

These are great for pollock and really handy. Just clip onto a swivel and away you go!

Edit: Thought it was lure suggestions you were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I don't know what I would be targeting really, I know that you kinda of have to know that before you start buying gear etc.

Something that would do a few different species if possible, I don't want to get too specific and end up with a rod for every fish:pac:

My uncle just suggested looking into a baitcaster because it's just lures and a rod. I've no experience with them so I didn't know if it would even suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be honest a baitcaster set up is for bigger fish. For general light lure fishing stick with a conventional spinning rod and reel.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Do you mean spinning lures/feathers with a beachcaster rod/multiplier set up? I've only ever used this set up when fishing off a steep drop off or on my way home after fishing on a beach as I didn't have a spinning rod with me (just to give a few casts off a pier)

I've got the older version of this rod. It's a spinning rod but a bit tougher. It's light but strong and quite versatile. Paired with a nice spinning reel it should cover a few different scenarios for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

To be honest a baitcaster set up is for bigger fish. For general light lure fishing stick with a conventional spinning rod and reel.

Yeah I was thinking that myself, he said he has a spinning rod he could give me if I wanted but to look into the baitcaster because he knows some lads that have got into them, he's not really too au fait with them himself.
    Do you mean spinning lures/feathers with a beachcaster rod/multiplier set up? I've only ever used this set up when fishing off a steep drop off or on my way home after fishing on a beach as I didn't have a spinning rod with me (just to give a few casts off a pier)

They're a smaller version of the bigger multipliers from what I understand, like this;

www.tackletour.com/images11/pictrapalashiftcaster012.jpg
    dmc17 wrote: »
    I've got the older version of this rod. It's a spinning rod but a bit tougher. It's light but strong and quite versatile. Paired with a nice spinning reel it should cover a few different scenarios for you.

Cheers, I'll probably just go with a spinning set up, wanted to see what the thoughts were on baitcasters first.

Blay wrote: »
    They're a smaller version of the bigger multipliers from what I understand, like this;
    www.tackletour.com/images11/pictrapalashiftcaster012.jpg

The reel is all that is different though. I considered getting one myself but decided it probably wouldn't be for me. I actually have the rod in this photo but with a spinning reel on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dmc17 wrote: »
    The reel is all that is different though. I considered getting one myself but decided it probably wouldn't be for me. I actually have the rod in this photo but with a spinning reel on it.

The rod is very different too. Baitcasting rods are designed with the reel seated on the top, above a trigger grip.

The rod is very different too. Baitcasting rods are designed with the reel seated on the top, above a trigger grip.

Cheers. Didn't realise that. I've been using it like this with a smaller reel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I would just stick with the fixed spool gear and your freshwater rod to start.

I have lots of baitcasting/multiplier gear and to be honest I only use it jerkbaiting for pike, trolling or boat fishing for bigger Pollock etc.

On the shore I prefer a fixed spool. Casting is easier, you can cast lighter lures more easily, the retrieve speed is faster so you can get fish up out of the kelp if needed.

I would also use braid if you can with a mono trace. Braid again will cast better, will give you more feeling and the mono trace will give you abrasion resistance.

In addition I would advise avoiding the end of piers etc. In my opinion its an immensely dull way of fishing. Get your hiking boots on and try some rock fishing dropping lures into little bays and gullies.

I would advise a selection of soft baits with jig heads, standard lures like tobys etc, and some plugs/crankbaits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Sounds like you need a decent spinning outfit.

Teklon Concept 7ft is a fantastic rod. Can be had for about 130 euros.
    If budget is a bit of a concern, I hear the Shimano Vengence is super value for money. Havnt used one yet, but just got my brother one so will give it a go in the next few weeks. get great reviews.

With regards to reels, id say shimano all the way. If you can push id go for the Aerenos ( about 125 quid)
    Next up, prob not far off the aerenos is the exage for about 80 quid.
    Finally at the cheapest end is the Catana for about 45 quid. I havnt used this but got this for my brother also so will play with it in a week or two.

That setup should leave you well prepared for a bit of lure/jelly worm fishing in the sea or even a bit of freshwater spinning if you find yourself in that situation.

As recommended already, get out the old hiking boots and walk along the coast dropping the lure in ( where its safe of course!). You might not catch as much, but what you do get will be much more fun than piles of small flatties or dogfish. Also, there's nothing more exciting than seeing a fish clear the water after your surface lure! The strike is always super aggressive, saltwater or fresh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

90% of the fishing I do is sea fishing, from rocks, so I'll give you my two pence on it.

I use a Penn surfblaster 7000 as my all purpose sea fishing reel. Perfect for spinning but powerful enough for bait fishing too. I find it a very well built reel for the price and way more versatile. Yesterday I pulled up a dog fish AND a conger on this without a bother. If you are looking at something a little cheaper, you can't go wrong with the Daiwa emcast sport 6000.

My normal set up is an 11ft silstar rock and pier rod, its a cheap rod but its served me well and takes quite a bit of abuse. When going to more difficult to access areas I use a 9 ft Penn overseas 2 piece rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

to get started I would get a salmon spinning rod (a cheaper one) or ron thompson do a nice range of 10ft spinning rods at the €50-60 range pair that with shimano 4000 size reel and 10-14lb breaking strength line you will get good long casts if you need to and will be able to do it all day.

the breaking strength on the line is mainly to give you the ability to pull yourself out of weed when you get caught .

spinners like german sprat and kilty catcher are good for pollock mackeral and the like, smaller german sprats can get you sea bream as well apparently.

this set up works perfectly for float fishing too.

Advertisement