Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible to power via coax? cctv/ip cams?

Options
  • 09-07-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

As per thread title, I'm interested in getting 4x cams for my semi-d - one in each corner - to be affixed to the bottom of the soffit.

I only have the one electrical power point in the attic - and its a fair distance from any of these corners. Is it possible to collect the data from the cams over coax whilst also powering them over coax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

As per thread title, I'm interested in getting 4x cams for my semi-d - one in each corner - to be affixed to the bottom of the soffit.

I only have the one electrical power point in the attic - and its a fair distance from any of these corners. Is it possible to collect the data from the cams over coax whilst also powering them over coax?

No, long ago Philips had a CCTV kit that transmitted power and picture up the coax but that is a long time ago.
    Run a low voltage cable out to each camera and a psu there adjacent to that power point in your attic and you will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Buy a kit with your four cameras a dvr and all your cables its just plug and play after that back to one power point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Good few IP-cams are POE ( power-over-ethernet ) - so you'd only have the one cable to each camera

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

gctest50 wrote: »
    Good few IP-cams are POE ( power-over-ethernet ) - so you'd only have the one cable to each camera

Correct provided its Cat5/6, all the OP has is RG 59.

Advertisement