Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin tips

Options
  • 09-07-2014 9:05pm

I'm visiting Dublin this weekend and am the designated tour guide for first time foreign visitors.

Looking for the best tips for the following:

- 'Hidden gem' tourist attractions
    - Most value for money good restaurant
    - Best 'old school' Dublin pubs

My plan is Guinness Storehouse, Trinity College, Grafton St. during the day, and Camden St / Harcourt St at night

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Dublin Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Dublin Forum.

Bad suggestion. Wouldn't bring tourists there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I'm visiting Dublin this weekend and am the designated tour guide for first time foreign visitors.

Looking for the best tips for the following:

- Best 'old school' Dublin pubs

Dáil Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Chester Beatty Museum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They have a new rodeo open in the Cowboy District, ask a taxi to drop you off on Sheriffs Street.

Also you should check out the dolphins whilst you're here, they're over in Dolphins Barn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Coppers and The Liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭glenq

Garth Brooks gig coming up in a few weeks. Problem with gigs is the crowd, it could be lively or quite as a mouse.
    You takes yer chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Having a pint of Guinness in Dublin is a very touristy thing to do. You can have a pint in the Storehouse, but I also recommend having a drink in one of the Porterhouse bars. They brew their own beers. They've a great selection of stouts, ales, and lagers, as well as bottled beers and whiskey's from all over the world. There's one in Temple Bar (my favourite, much cosier) and one on Nassau Street. They don't serve Guinness. I've been in there many times when a tourist walked in and asked for a Guinness, only to walk out when they're told it's not available. They don't know what they're missing! Tell your tourist friends that there's more than one beer in Dublin. They won't be disappointed with the selection on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Chester Beatty Museum

+1

The jewel in Dublin's crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The world street performers championship is on in Merrion Sq this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Guinness storehouse is good fun and great views of the city from gravity bar, kilmainham gaol is impressive and "the little museum of Dublin" is interesting too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

TheZohan wrote: »
    They have a new rodeo open in the Cowboy District, ask a taxi to drop you off on Sheriffs Street.

Also you should check out the dolphins whilst you're here, they're over in Dolphins Barn.

Very good tips there. The Fin-glass factory is also fascinating, just head to Finglas and ask a local to direct you to the blowers. The Fettercairn museum of Motoring is also a must-see. Head out to picturesque Tallaght and ask for directions, it's a go-to for any visitor.

Avoid Killiney and Dalkey at all costs, very rough and nothing much to see out that way. Ballsbridge is also another no-go area for out-of towners. Mugger central. If anyone suggests Stephens green, just laugh and tell them you're not falling for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Cant say enough about Mount Joy, so named because of all the residents love being there so much. they go back time after time

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Head down to the Diggers in Glasnevin AKA Kavanaghs for a good Guinness any taxi will get ya there. Once there it sounds morbid but the graveyard is a fantastic walk about leading to the pub and once after try the botanical gardens just around the corner its lovely and free !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

- 'Hidden gem' tourist attractions

This one has great reviews, and you get to touch the hand of an 800-year old corpse.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186605-d214996-Reviews-St_Michan_s_Church-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moved from After Hours. Please rrad the current charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My personal favourite is the Library bar, upstairs in the Central hotel at corner of Exchequer St, there actually are bookshelves with real books.
    Upstairs in the Lord Edward near Christchurch is another little charmer but probably not enough room for a large group...but it IS round the corner from Burdocks, best chipper in the whole town (according to many)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Head down to the Diggers in Glasnevin AKA Kavanaghs for a good Guinness any taxi will get ya there. Once there it sounds morbid but the graveyard is a fantastic walk about leading to the pub and once after try the botanical gardens just around the corner its lovely and free !

There's actually a walk way between the gardens and the cemetery now, no need to leave either to get to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

January wrote: »
    There's actually a walk way between the gardens and the cemetery now, no need to leave either to get to the other.
    Nice ill be home for the UFC next week must check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Memorial Park on a summers day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Havent lived in Dublin in almost 20 years but some of my favourite things /places

Burdocks Fish and Chips near Christchurch

St Audeons-where you can touch the mummy

Go into the Four Courts when they are in session-great comedy and pageantry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Take your pick of Gino's or Murphy's eat your choice of ice cream while sitting on a field or the rock garden in Steven Green park.
    Can't be bet on a sunny day.

For lunch, the food market in meeting house square every Saturday in Temple Bar.

Mulligans on Poolbeg street for a real Dublin pub with a great pint of Guinness. They also sell a decent selection of craft beer.
    No TV or radio unless there's GAA on. ;)

We have a number of great museums, all of which I've been away from for far too long.

If you're into a good walk but don't want to stray too far from the City, you can ramble for hours in the Phoenix Park, there's also two cafés and a tea house in different corners of the park so you can stop an eat.
    Also worth looking for the heard of wild deer that live in the park and the old Magazine Fort it worth a look. Sadly there's no access into it but it's great to get close to.
    There's also a bike rental service at the main gate by the court house.

Don't go to Starbucks or Costa, we have far to many independent coffee shops to choose from, never a need to give in to that rubbish!

Fitz Williams Street is great for food and nightlife, you've got grub and pubs for all ages there.

Cliff walks in both Killiney and and Howth are both beautiful.
    Get down by the sea in both spots and you're bound to see a few seals floating around.
    If you're there when the fishing boats get in they're always around grabbing the left overs!

Running blank at this stage, if there's anything else I think of I'll post again. :)
    Hotel worker signing out. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Having a pint of Guinness in Dublin is a very touristy thing to do. You can have a pint in the Storehouse, but I also recommend having a drink in one of the Porterhouse bars. They brew their own beers. They've a great selection of stouts, ales, and lagers, as well as bottled beers and whiskey's from all over the world. There's one in Temple Bar (my favourite, much cosier) and one on Nassau Street. They don't serve Guinness. I've been in there many times when a tourist walked in and asked for a Guinness, only to walk out when they're told it's not available. They don't know what they're missing! Tell your tourist friends that there's more than one beer in Dublin. They won't be disappointed with the selection on offer.

I would recommend J.W. Sweetman over Porterhouse. Nicer beer (which they also brew themselves), more interesting interior, more interesting view from the upper floors out onto the Liffey and less touristy.

Go in, sit by the window upstairs and get the tasting tray. Also, not sure if they still do it but the last time I was in there on a Thursday evening there was a music/comedy duo that was hilarious.

If you're over near Grafton Street I'd check out the Powerscourt Centre just because the interior is pretty nice. Then afterwards maybe wander through George's Arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Few cheap gags on here so far (among some genuine recommendations), how is a visitor looking for good advice meant to differentiate between the two?

Fairly low form of wit lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

The gravediggers pub recommendation is genuine as is Mulligan's pub and library bar and StMichans church. If you do gravediggers then botanic gardens are too be considered as well as the cemetery

Number 29 merrion sq is worth a visit.

Porterhouse IMO is overrated and the own brew there is alright but nothing to get too excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Few cheap gags on here so far (among some genuine recommendations), how is a visitor looking for good advice meant to differentiate between the two?

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Take a trip out along the coast on the DART on a clear day,some spectacular scenery and sea views.Get off in Dalkey and have a wander down to Coliemore Harbour and have a look out at Dalkey Island.

Sit outside Grogan's pub on a nice day, have a pint and a toasted sambo and watch the beautiful people of Sth William Street go by.

Iveagh Gardens are a lovely spot,and usually less packed than Stephens Green on a sunny day.

Rent a bike and have a cycle around the Phoenix Park.

International Comedy Club can be good craic on a Friday or Saturday night,only a tenner in as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Birneybau wrote: »
    What are you on about?

Mod note: to clarify, this thread started in After Hours and was moved at post 17 after which the Dublin City forum charter applies ie. helpful answers only. There are some good suggestions before post 17 which are: 5, 9-12, 15, 16. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The top floor of the car park on the St stephens green shopping centre has an impressive view of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

- Most value for money good restaurant

Excellent value throughout the city if you stick to early birds Wojtek... Any particular type of food your group would be keen on?

Market bar is very very reasonable, good atmosphere, helpful staff (if you're wasting your money getting two of something, they will advice a larger portion of one etc...) You will need to book though. Fallon & Byrnes have a cracking early bird deal all night Sunday to Friday, it's €24 for two courses. The Pig's Ear do a slightly more expensive Irish three course early evening meal (out before eight!) for about €27.

Advertisement