Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avent bottles and cow and gate comfort

Options
  • 09-07-2014 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

My baby is 5 weeks old and on cow and gate comfort milk because of constipation.
    I'm finding with size 2 avent teats he's finding it too hard to get the milk from his bottle, the milk is quite thick, I bought some variflow teats today and he was able to drink bottle quickly and was more satisfied but a lot was spilled! Is there any tiger option? He is getting very frustrated with size 2 teats. Will it just take a few feeds for him to get used to the faster flow? He wasn't chocking or anything just had to be changed due to spills!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I would stick with the size 2 variflow. I had this problem also. I tried size 3 tests, but far too messy. I bought two other bottles to try also, a Dr. Browns and I can't remember the other one. None were sucessful. I went back to the size 2 variflow and after a few weeks she managed them better.
    Sometimes though I had to switch it to the size 3 teat as she was so hungry and frustrated because she couldn't get it out fast enough from the size 2.

Just buy yourself lots of bibs (the towelling type).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No matter how many bibs I went through with the vari flow teats the clothes under neath always ended up soaked too...

I'm using the new boots bottles with slow flow for the stay down formula and they seem to be working well... but you said you already tried them (the new ones that are like the Tommee Tippee or the older ones?).

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Yeah I've tried the boots ones but he was terrible with getting his wind up. The formula is working, the bottles are working for wind it's just the teats ! I'll have to feed him in his nude :D

I poked a bigger hole with a sterile pin and he drank his 6 oz in no time !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

We used Avent bottles too but with Cow and Gate Nutraprem 2, which was a pain in the ass to make because it was thicker than most formulae. what worked for us, and what continue to work for use now that smallie is on follow on milk (3) were the variable teets. you can change the flow by turning the bottle until the number representing the size (1 2 or 3 ) is at the top.

i'd strongly discourage poking holes in teets.

• Advertisement

We used Avent bottles too but with Cow and Gate Nutraprem 2, which was a pain in the ass to make because it was thicker than most formulae. what worked for us, and what continue to work for use now that smallie is on follow on milk (3) were the variable teets. you can change the flow by turning the bottle until the number representing the size (1 2 or 3 ) is at the top.

i'd strongly discourage poking holes in teets.

I bought the variable teats and he ended up covered in half the bottle so I'd have to change him from head to toe. He was frustrated with size 2 unfortunatly there's no size in between so I made the teats a bit bigger using a sterile pin and it's working perfectly.. Why would you strongly discourage this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The PHN recommended the sterile pin to me too.

January wrote: »
    The PHN recommended the sterile pin to me too.

It's doing the trick can't see any other alternative !

Advertisement