Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Grooming

• 09-07-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I wonder would anyone know if there are classes to learn how to groom your own dogs like a professional? I have two large dogs & the cost of grooming is 60 euro upwards? I have checked some places on the net &classes are for people who wish to make a business for themselves. I just want to be able to groom my own dogs clip their nails & do their ears myself. Can anyone steer me in the right direction Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Where are you based? Mutt Ugly in Dublin run a course that will give you the basics on maintaining your own dog.

http://www.muttugly.com/teach-me/just-for-fun/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tara king

I'm in Cork.......

Wow that would be ideal...& the price is well worth it....I wonder if there is any where in Cork that would do something like that..Thanks!

tara king wrote: »
    Wow that would be ideal...& the price is well worth it....I wonder if there is any where in Cork that would do something like that..Thanks!

Maybe you could contact them and ask. Or make a weekend of it in Dublin if you find a dog friendly hotel :-)

I found their facebook page & mailed them. Fingers crossed... Thanks so much...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you're in Cork, then check St John's College. That's where I did mine...

St.John's is closed for the summer,& it's mostly for people who want to make a career out of it,but thanks for your reply

St.John's is closed for the summer,& it's mostly for people who want to make a career out of it,but thanks for your reply

Not necessarily. I did the first year, but don't work as a groomer. I groom to a good enough standard I can do my own dog. Suppose I can do the 2nd year if I wanted, but choose not to ATM. Isn't that what you wanted?

Yes I want learn how to do the scissoring mostly as I make a good enough job of the rest...I think the course that Borderlinemeath sent is just what I'm looking for but such a pity it's in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dkod

Creedons doggie daycare. They run various courses and grooming is one of them. Let us know.how you get on. This is in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Brill, just what I've been looking for as well. The class costs the same as groom.

Yes it costs the same as grooming,but if you have more than one dog (I have 6) it becomes very expensive. As I stated earlier I make a good hand of the washing & brushing but I really want to learn how to cut & do the nails bit myself..... I just rang Creedons . Waiting to hear if they do such a class so will let you know as soon as someone contacts me.

Received a reply from 'Creedons'

Our one day course is on hold at the moment. Our professional courses are still up and running if that would be of interest? So I'm back to square one! Anyone here willing to teach me & give me a crash course! *Grins*

quick update, I asked a private Groomer if she would teach me.
    I was to bring my own dog which she would groom ,but she would be charging me 70 euro upwards for a chow & up to 130 euros to groom a newfoundland or Bernese depending on the dog's coat.
    as well as 125 euros to watch & learn.To be honest it's way outside my budget, am I the only one here who thinks this is exorbitant or is it fair & reasonable? I would welcome your feedback on this.

Which groomer did you ask?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jayney :o
    For the cost of just sitting there watching her, you'd get the train up to attend that perfect course in Dublin, lunch, and the train back home again, one of these Saturdays :)

Sure you could watch a youtube tutorial for free, If I was paying to learn I'd want to actually get my hands on the clippers and dog.

I don't know if I'm allowed to name the groomer? I don't want to get banned! but if it's ok to give her name then I will :).....I have searched utube for a tutorial without success......as for getting the train to Dublin...are dogs allowed on trains? Fed up now :( any more ideas out there please.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I don't know if I'm allowed to name the groomer? I don't want to get banned! but if it's ok to give her name then I will :).....I have searched utube for a tutorial without success......as for getting the train to Dublin...are dogs allowed on trains? Fed up now :( any more ideas out there please.

No, don't name her :)

You can indeed bring dogs on the train. Bigger dogs will have to travel in the parcels carriage where the conductor travels, but you'll occasionally meet a nice conductor who'll let you bring a smaller dog into the normal carriage with you.:)

DBB thanks for that....I didn't know about the train. I will do the course in Dublin...just such a pity that we don't have one here in Cork.

(( For 65 euro You will learn how to de-mat a coat, do the hygiene points (cut nails, clean or pluck ears, anal glands, clean the pads, clip the groin), correct technique for brushing out, washing and fluff drying. Basic scissoring if applicable. Your dog will be the model and you will practice what was demonstrated on your own dog.(got that from their site :) )) 65 euro seems more than fair to me versus nearly 200 euro The next one is 9th August so I will aim for that. I still can't believe it could cost approx. 130euro to groom a large breed dog .....crazy money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB thanks for that....I didn't know about the train. I will do the course in Dublin...just such a pity that we don't have one here in Cork.

Well aim for that then - do the course and get good and then you could be the one teaching in cork. :)

Another suggestion - if there's a breed specific forum there may be a grooming section. eg goldenretrieverforum.com has threads and links to videos/pages on grooming ;)

(( For 65 euro You will learn how to de-mat a coat, do the hygiene points (cut nails, clean or pluck ears, anal glands, clean the pads, clip the groin), correct technique for brushing out, washing and fluff drying. Basic scissoring if applicable. Your dog will be the model and you will practice what was demonstrated on your own dog.(got that from their site :) )) 65 euro seems more than fair to me versus nearly 200 euro The next one is 9th August so I will aim for that. I still can't believe it could cost approx. 130euro to groom a large breed dog .....crazy money!

In fairness, I would never underestimate the work groomers do, it's very, very physical, so a larger double coated breed would take a lot of work. Plus the fact that they do things that we hate doing ourselves like anal glands and nails. I don't mind doing my pairs nails but I understand how it's really tough for some owners.

I just rang my groomer this morning to see can she do Benson and maybe Coco. Coco can be tough work, she squirms, wriggles, will attempt to nip if she feels cornered and has managed to get the better of a vet, a vet nurse and me trying to hold her to get a KC vaccine up her nose (I had to bring it home and sneak it into her when she wasn't expecting it) and she's capable of knocking over equipment like blaster guns and pulling out of harnesses. I know she'll feel better after a clip to get rid of the excess hair and it won't catch so much debris in it when we're in the fields so a little torture pain for a lot of gain but it will cost me €120 for the two of them :)

In fairness, I would never underestimate the work groomers do, it's very, very physical, so a larger double coated breed would take a lot of work. Plus the fact that they do things that we hate doing ourselves like anal glands and nails. I don't mind doing my pairs nails but I understand how it's really tough for some owners.

I agree with you,it's a lot of work.... I just think it would be great if there was such a course in Cork for people who want to groom their own dog for a reasonable price & I'll be honest here, I just couldn't justify spending that amount of money grooming 6 dogs.... I enjoy doing it myself ,it's a big part for me owing a dog...I would do a lot of walking on the beach & in the fields around my house ,so they can get pretty messy.

As for learning & teaching it myself in Cork....I would have no problem sharing & showing someone what I learned without charging them & would be willing to help anyone. :)

OP Creedons are running a grooming course soon and accepting bookings... but it's €2500 :eek:

Way over my budget :( Guess there is no resession in Cork :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dkod

To be fair that is a professional course which to be me.would imply that you could then have a profession dog grooming. I think what the op wants is basics for her own dogs. I thought Creedons did a basic course too. Apologies if wrong. Oops just noticed you are the poster Tara.

dkod wrote: »
    To be fair that is a professional course which to be me.would imply that you could then have a profession dog grooming.

Could you really though? If I (won the lotto haha :P ) and took my dogs to be groomed I'd want somebody with expedience to do it - not somebody straight off a course. By experience I mean somebody who has groomed loads of retrievers and also has experience with dogs who maybe are afraid to have their nails cut or might be nervous etc etc etc - that imo comes from experience not from a textbooks and power point slides. For a different thread but I don't agree with the production line/cookie cutter "dog professional" factories we have these days.

EDIT - ROFL somebody is reading boards?...just saw this on FB
    As dog groomers with a behaviour background we are interested in investigating the current opinion of dog owners in relation to dog grooming. We are interested in finding out if there is a demand for a science based training approach to dog grooming.
    Please answer questions as honestly as possible.
    As a thank you, we invite you to enter your email address in the final question if you would like to receive a 50% discount of P.A.T. Dog Grooming

I contacted Creedons & was informed they have stopped their day grooming course as there wasn't enough interest in it. The lady said if I could get 4 people they would think about doing it again, however she didn't give me a price for the day course. I too would be wary about having one of my dogs groomed by a newbie....that's why I stated above that whatever I learned on the course I would be willing to show someone else without charging.....It's one thing messing up your own dog,but someone elses :( ooops I don't think I would take the chance!!

Advertisement