Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy food?

• 09-07-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi i have just got a new bull terrier and i am unsure as what food to give her i bought pedigree puppy as i thought it wud be good but i keep hearing that it leaves dogs looking malnourished and unhealthy anyone no a good puppy food as i want her to grow nice and strong to run with me when she grows up thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What did the breeder feed? Did they not give you some food with the pup? Def stay well away from pedigree or anything bought in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bloodynine

andreac wrote: »
    What did the breeder feed? Did they not give you some food with the pup? Def stay well away from pedigree or anything bought in the supermarket.

they were feeding him pedigree puppy, and gave me a small bag of it too. Any recommendations for a quality food ?

All depends on your budget. Try and go for a food with high meat content.

Go on to the likes of zooplus and there are lots of great offers.
    Orijen and taste of the wild are very good quality, then you have the likes of Arden grange, clinivet, eukanuba, burns and so on. All much better than pedigree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bloodynine

andreac wrote: »
    All depends on your budget. Try and go for a food with high meat content.

Go on to the likes of zooplus and there are lots of great offers.
    Orijen and taste of the wild are very good quality, then you have the likes of Arden grange, clinivet, eukanuba, burns and so on. All much better than pedigree.

thanks very much d budget wont matter unless d are looking for crazy money i just want a strong pup to grow big and healthy :)

The thing about the better quality foods is that you don't have to feed as much so it will last bit longer and is much better for them.
    A big bag should last a bull terrier well over a month so 50/60 euro isn't that much really when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The basic rule of thumb, and this goes especially for Bull Terriers who are demons for digestive upsets and skin trouble, is to opt for cereal-free foods... So, no wheat, corn, barley or oats, though the latter two are not as allergenic as the first two.
    If your chosen food must contain cereal, rice is the most benign of them all.
    That said, cereals perform little function other than to make the dog feel full, and as they're cheaper than meat and veg, cereal-free foods tend to be pricey. But, if your dog turns out to be one of the unfortunate allergy-prone ones, you'll have little option!
    Andreac has named a couple of cereal-free foods there, I'll add one more, and that's Eden. Andreac has also listed some of the more popular and generally ricey foods too. I'll add another to that list too, to me a fine food for the money, and that's Barking Heads.
    You also have the option of high-quality tinned food such as Rocco, Rinti, Lukullus or Naturediet, all available on www.zooplus.ie, and there's no reason why you shouldn't feed this alone, or as well as dry food. These tinned foods, unlike the stuff you buy in supermarkets, are very high in meat, and most of them contain no cereal, not even rice. Most dogs love it.
    The raw or fresh diet is another option, again on its own or as well as dry or tinned, which is a super way to feed a dog, but you need to do a lot of reading up, and have freezer space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I don't feed any of my puppies puppy food after they are a few months old. They move onto adult food. I like them to grow slowly & I find they mature better but I'm coming from a confirmation point of view.

The higher quality foods mentioned above also mean far less waste to clean up.

Advertisement