Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD TV questions

• 09-07-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of purchasing a WD TV when i'm in the US in two months.
    After googling them there, I've found there are two main versions now,

The WD TV Live and the newer WD TV.
    What I can tell between the differences is the newer WD TV has now Miracast support, allows for a custom home screen, but drops Netflix support.
    Now I don't mind Netflix support, as I have a PS4 connected to the TV anyways.

Does anyone else know any main differences between the two?
    The 'Live' seems to be around $80 and the newer model is around $100.

Also, does a WD TV pick up metadata for a connected USB HD? as in will it display the covers of movies and have info about them all, release date, age rating etc.

Thanks.

Another question, after looking around online, I seen that when i connect an External HD to the WDTV, I can share that HD contents over the network, so does that mean I could basically create a NAS from the External HD?
    I would have the External HD connected to the WDTV(which is connected to the WiFi), and on a laptop(on same WiFi) I could access the HD's files as a networked drive and copy/cut/paste files to and from yes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭mcw92

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

WDTV Live can display metadata and can also network share attached usb drives. Not sure about later models.

WDTV Live manual is here

degsie wrote: »
    WDTV Live can display metadata and can also network share attached usb drives. Not sure about later models.

WDTV Live manual is here

I've read the manual alright.
    Does it display metadata for files stored on the hd yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

mcw92 wrote: »
    I've read the manual alright.
    Does it display metadata for files stored on the hd yes?

If added to the library and you have the metadata scraper set up, then yes.

degsie wrote: »
    If added to the library and you have the metadata scraper set up, then yes.

Thanks for the info.

Would anyone be generous and upload a picture of what the screen looks like when browsing files on a connected HD?

As in does it look similar to this?
    WD-Live-Videos.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

mcw92 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

Would anyone be generous and upload a picture of what the screen looks like when browsing files on a connected HD?

As in does it look similar to this?
    WD-Live-Videos.png

I have one connected to a NAS. It does look like this.

Advertisement