Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm going to live in the woods.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Hugely recommend them.

The one that I that I linked was one that's on my list to get. From what I've read about it, it's about as good as you'd get - for that kind of money. There are others which come with better ratings, but they are more expensive.

If you don't mind me asking, which one do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

If you don't mind me asking, which one do you have?

https://www.powertraveller.com/en/shop/portable-chargers/outdoor-adventure/powermonkey-extreme-12v/

Originally had the 5V one but it failed one day. Needed it for an event I was doing and they sent me a replacement without even asking that I send the old one back first. Replacement works perfectly and is the 5V or 12V version, so they basically upgraded me for free.

I got mine on Sportpursuit for £59.70 which is also a pretty great saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Francis O Blibhionn

I'm just back from a week touring the wilderness alone on a bike. Though I never really strayed too far from civilization, it was pretty heavy, physically and mentally, and not how I thought it would be. That said, I think it was an immense psychological kick up the arse and one of the most important things I've ever done in my life. The shift in perspective is very dramatic.

I think you should know that you will make big technical mistakes no matter what you've read, and that even in Ireland you can hurt yourself badly in the wilderness.

I think you have different motivations than I had, and a different kind of project in mind, but I still recommend you go for a short period of time first, to get all the worst mistakes over with and confirm that it's what you're looking for.

Also, I strongly recommend this book:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

I'm just back from a week touring the wilderness alone on a bike. Though I never really strayed too far from civilization, it was pretty heavy, physically and mentally, and not how I thought it would be. That said, I think it was an immense psychological kick up the arse and one of the most important things I've ever done in my life. The shift in perspective is very dramatic.

I think you should know that you will make big technical mistakes no matter what you've read, and that even in Ireland you can hurt yourself badly in the wilderness.

I think you have different motivations than I had, and a different kind of project in mind, but I still recommend you go for a short period of time first, to get all the worst mistakes over with and confirm that it's what you're looking for.

This is fantastic Francis - will you write about your own experiences on here in more depth? I'd be very interested to read how you got on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fair play for tackling it, a heavy read that heaps a lot of classic mythology references on the poor unsuspecting reader. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP I have a solar charger that I used last year to charge my phone on a trek to Everest in Nepal. You're welcome to a loan of it if you like, I can meet in the Dublin area.

Otherwise I love your idea. Even just doing it for a couple of weeks would be fantastic. I remember a few years back I crossed the Chinese border to go into Laos in quite a remote area. It was 3pm and a scorching hot day and I had to walk approx three miles of 'no mans land' between the Chinese checkpoint and the Laotian entry point. The walk was stunning, the jungle area was just so lush and green with fan leaves the size of my kitchen hanging out of them. When I got to the Laotian side I discovered that the border guards there had knocked off work as it was 'too hot'. I was stuck between two countries, I couldn't go back to China as my visa was up that day and I couldn't proceed into Laos without an entry stamp in my passport.

So after a few hours of hanging around reading a book when darkness began to fall I walked back up the road and into the jungle. I found more than enough foliage to make a bed out of and it was plenty warm in there. I had a naggin of whiskey and sipped away at that while chomping on biscuits and cheese. I fell asleep nice and merry gazing at the most amazing show of stars and listening to the many sounds of the jungle. At home in Ireland my mother would have been shocked if she knew where I was but that night I was as happy as a pig in sh1t.

Anyway back to your idea. I agree with others that Leinster may not be the spot to do this. For me I'd be looking at Kerry/MayoDonegal. I bet Donegal has some superb places you could go, though tree cover could be a problem up there. If you got a ferry across to one of the islands off Donegal I'd say you could wild camp there as much as you liked if you find a nice patch on the coast. Even if it turns out you're on someone's land most of the locals on those islands are very easy going and there is a recognition of alternative lifestyles amongst them. You could fish off the rocks at sunset and have yourself a nice little dinner fresh from the Atlantic every evening. Just make sure your tent can stand up to wind though:)

If you really wanted to go off grid in a big way you could research uninhabited islands off the coast. Obviously you'd really want to know what you're doing here and you'd need support on land to get you out and back and a line of communications in case of emergency. It would take a good bit more organisation but surviving on your own island for a few weeks would be pretty neat, defintely a unique experience. Just hope that you can stay out of the sights of the Irish Navy if they happen to come patrolling, sure that would be part of your fun:)

Another option is the UK, I'm guessing doing what you're proposing is practiced a lot more over there. Who knows if you do some research online you might even come across things like tree houses that people have built for survivalists to use in forests. I'd imagine there are whole communities of these people in the UK, I'm not saying you need any help to carry this off, just saying be open to the idea of other countries too. While what you're proposing to do is excellent don't also forget that your days are going to be dictated by the sunlight and even now after June 21st we still have around 16 hours a day of it. So that's a lot of time to fill. If you can get in with a community who do this regularly throughout the summer you might really enjoy meeting kindred spirits and finding out lots of interesting things about how they live their lifestyles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

we could not afford a place in the woods in Ireland, so got a nice place in Sweden, surrounded by forests, off-grid.. nearest neighbour is a mile away.. we use solar energy, water comes from a well, we try to grow as much food as we can through the short growing season, we recycle what we can, even the toilet waste is composted... Basically, had to work on a way to live off as little money as possible, no dole, very little income as no job either... We have lived here for two years, through sub zero winters and blazing hot summers.. heating costs are tiny, about €300 a year, buying the logs from the local forestry guy, I then saw them with a bow saw and split them up with the axe.

10341420_10152566374576590_4861570914374932173_n.jpg?oh=76358fb375f6ee7e9f90935e9a7d7839&oe=5451AE84

CamperMan wrote: »
    we could not afford a place in the woods in Ireland, so got a nice place in Sweden, surrounded by forests, off-grid.. nearest neighbour is a mile away.. we use solar energy, water comes from a well, we try to grow as much food as we can through the short growing season, we recycle what we can, even the toilet waste is composted... Basically, had to work on a way to live off as little money as possible, no dole, very little income as no job either... We have lived here for two years, through sub zero winters and blazing hot summers.. heating costs are tiny, about €300 a year, buying the logs from the local forestry guy, I then saw them with a bow saw and split them up with the axe.

10341420_10152566374576590_4861570914374932173_n.jpg?oh=76358fb375f6ee7e9f90935e9a7d7839&oe=5451AE84

CamperMan, I am insanely jealous - do you live in Sweden full time? If you don't mind me asking how are you able to make ends meet, do you have a small income ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wow that's amazing Camperman, looks like your own little paradise. Though I'd say the winters were tough, how is it insulated? And do you might me asking of costs, is it possible to buy plots of land in Scandanavia for cheap? I lived in Finland once myself and loved the summer there, it rarely got dark and we used to head out to friends summer cottages in the woods and lakes for days on end, good times:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

My point exactly, how counter-productive it would be to follow the rules of a system while simultaneously trying to avoid the system. Sure I nearly got fined last year for fishing for Perch on the Liffey. It defeats the point of government if people start living off the grid...I get it....I just choose to disregard it.

They're are thousands of people living off the grid.....They're called the homeless.

They're are hundreds of people sleeping rough in Dublin city centre. In winter some go into emergency hostels, but there are others who'll completely rough it. There are always homeless people camped in the Phoenix park, and I believe always a few in the Wicklow mountains. There have been a few stories of people who've lost everything in the last few years, moving into the woods.

Homeless people outside of the cities tend to live in wilderness areas. There is a danger of being murdered by hill billies. From someone I knew who was homeless in rural Ireland, they were attacked several times, so they began sleeping in graveyards. The first time they did it they had an awful shock - they thought they were seeing ghosts, but it was other homeless people.

• Advertisement

we were very lucky to buy this place so cheap, cost us 50,000 SEK about €5500 at the time (2012), the guy who we bought it off wanted €25,000 but was seriously strapped for cash so sold it cheap.. hard to find for this price now, you can still get houses like this for about €20,000 to €30,000.. ideal for off grid living... a link to some for sale here, http://www.blocket.se/bostad/saljes?cg_multi=3040&sort=&ps=0&pe=3&ss=&se=&ros=&roe=&mre=&q=&is=1&l=0&md=th&f=b&ca=13&w=3

It is very well insulated, in the winter, outside it can be minus 20 Deg C day and night for months, inside, it will be plus 20 Degrees C, it's built from logs, and has glass fibre insulation in the walls and ceilings, it also has double glazed windows.. We find the winters here no problem... and the summers are amazing, hot and sunny and as you said, rarely get's dark in the summer.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wow that's amazing Camperman, looks like your own little paradise. Though I'd say the winters were tough, how is it insulated? And do you might me asking of costs, is it possible to buy plots of land in Scandanavia for cheap? I lived in Finland once myself and loved the summer there, it rarely got dark and we used to head out to friends summer cottages in the woods and lakes for days on end, good times:)

here it is in the winter time...

1614558_10152193582391590_1383016883_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A huge amount of Swedish people have these as country retreats, dacha-style and would leave the cities en masse in Summer to stay in them. Swedes tend to have a very outdoorsy life, with virtually everybody having a boat of some kind and access to lakes, cycling, walking, fishing and so on.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hope you guys are nowhere near the huge forest fire in Sweden. Looks like a great set-up.

CamperMan wrote: »
    we were very lucky to buy this place so cheap, cost us 50,000 SEK about €5500 at the time (2012), the guy who we bought it off wanted €25,000 but was seriously strapped for cash so sold it cheap.. hard to find for this price now, you can still get houses like this for about €20,000 to €30,000.. ideal for off grid living... a link to some for sale here, http://www.blocket.se/bostad/saljes?cg_multi=3040&sort=&ps=0&pe=3&ss=&se=&ros=&roe=&mre=&q=&is=1&l=0&md=th&f=b&ca=13&w=3

It is very well insulated, in the winter, outside it can be minus 20 Deg C day and night for months, inside, it will be plus 20 Degrees C, it's built from logs, and has glass fibre insulation in the walls and ceilings, it also has double glazed windows.. We find the winters here no problem... and the summers are amazing, hot and sunny and as you said, rarely get's dark in the summer.

Incredible to see property prices so cheap in such a relatively wealthy country. €30-40k here buys virtually nothing inhabitable.

It's the same over the border in eastern Norway. €40k+- will get you a run down small holding with house, barn and 70 acres. http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/homes/object?finnkode=50317754

the forest fire is about 160 km north of us..
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    Hope you guys are nowhere near the huge forest fire in Sweden. Looks like a great set-up.

Incredible to see property prices so cheap in such a relatively wealthy country. €30-40k here buys virtually nothing inhabitable.

It wasn't always like that. Ireland used to be a destination for European hippies to buy small holdings and small houses for next to nothing. There was a huge amount of abandoned property. You could literally buy a castle on a budget.
    It's the same over the border in eastern Norway. €40k+- will get you a run down
    small holding with house, barn and 70 acres. http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/homes/object?finnkode=50317754

If you buy the farm, are you then classed as a Norwegian farmer, and do you get the Norwegian farm grants. They have a different system. They guarantee a minimum income of 40k for farmers. Norway has lots of oil money to spend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Off the grid living and bringing a kindle...jesus wept.

If you buy the farm, are you then classed as a Norwegian farmer, and do you get the Norwegian farm grants. They have a different system. They guarantee a minimum income of 40k for farmers. Norway has lots of oil money to spend.

An interesting question, I don't honestly know, but yes this particular smallholding is still registered as a farm according to the advert.

My main concern would be if that 40k in "benefits" would be wiped out by a 40k property/land/fresh-air tax ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

I think you need permanent residence/citizenship & its not easy to get, there are plenty of people who have been waiting 7+ years for a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Property Tax

Municipalities in Norway are entitled to impose a tax on real estate property located in their jurisdiction. The tax is levied at the assessed value of the property, which is about 20% to 50% of the property’s market value. Property tax rates range from 0.2% to 0.7%, depending on the municipality.

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/Norway/Taxes-and-Costs

An interesting question, I don't honestly know, but yes this particular smallholding is still registered as a farm according to the advert.

My main concern would be if that 40k in "benefits" would be wiped out by a 40k property/land/fresh-air tax ;)

I don't really know the story. I have two Norwegian friends who both own farms, but they're cagey on what the actual deal is. A thing is these farms can be incredibly remote. "no one for miles" is not an overstatement. I do know Norwegians buy these small holdings to get the grant, but many may not be able to stick living in remote areas. I know my friends can't.

Norway's oil makes much of the rest of their economy uncompetitive, which leads to unemployment. So they do things like buying Anders Breivik a farm and giving him cash to farm it......Which he spent on guns and used the fertilizer to make a bomb.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Off the grid living and bringing a kindle...jesus wept.

Hey. hey don't hate the Kindle - mine is solar powered, it's legit! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Hey. hey don't hate the Kindle - mine is solar powered, it's legit! :)

I think ebooks are perfect for off the grid living. Hundreds of books in a tiny space. Uses virtually no power. Easily charged with a small solar panel.

Khannie wrote: »
    I think ebooks are perfect for off the grid living. Hundreds of books in a tiny space. Uses virtually no power. Easily charged with a small solar panel.

Provided you have a spare Kindle or two, I think you'll be OK. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Yep.

Also, the old Kindle Keyboard 3g had a monthly quota of 'free' 3g built into the price, so you could have free Internet/email access, in addition to the originally intended purpose of having access to Amazon for books. The Kindle Keyboard 3g has gone out of production but is still supported, afaik. You can still get those Kindles on eBay.

Amazon has restricted this in its current products, afaik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Nah man...bring a pencil and paper and write a book about your experiences.. Bringing an electronic device is a cop out imo

Nah man...bring a pencil and paper and write a book about your experiences.. Bringing an electronic device is a cop out imo

Can't you do both?

While we're on the subject I actually did read a book written last year about a man going to live in a run down cottage in the woods for five years in Wales.

It was actually not very enlightening as he didn't go into any details about how he was able to grow enough food etc. There was also abundant firewood of which he made liberal use and he had managed to receive a small stipend from a local University to monitor bird boxes so he would make supply runs to the local supermarket an hour's walk away every now and then.

It made for interesting reading but from a practical perspective I got more out of Robinson Crusoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Why is it a cop out ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Id say its a cop out if you have a kindle with internet access etc so you can read the news, chat to your mates etc.

If it just loaded up with a book or two I'd say it's fine. Only downside is you've to be so careful you keep it dry or it's just a waste of space.

Advertisement