Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleas on Dog

• 09-07-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭

I have just noticed little black specs on my dog and after a quick Google it seems to be flea dirt.

Does anybody have any advice? Do I go to the vet for flea treatment or is there any products you recommend?

Also how should I got about getting them and their eggs out of the house?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Have you tried testing the specks on your dog to see are they flea dirt? There are a couple of ways to do it, one is to put a couple of them on white card and squash them whilst dragging them across the card. If they leave a rusty-red streak, it's probably flea dirt.
    You'd want to confirm it's fleas, as treating your home for them is like nuclear warfare. I'd prefer to avoid it if it wasn't necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bluejelly

Is your dog scratching? Get flea treatment from the vet, not pet shops. I would recommend you wash bedding, blankets etc at high temperature (u r meant to wait 24 hrs after treating your dog when fleas are killed and drop off). Hoover everywhere, ESP corners, around skirting boards etc, I have done this several times to be sure to be sure. You can get spray from the vets too for bedding couches etc.

Advertisement