Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** SPARK** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I purchased the Amiko Alien Triple Tuner loaded with Enigma 2 just recently. I found it too technical for me so reverted to Spark. Am now learning this new system so please forgive me if I'm asking questions already answered. I have read a lot of posts but still unsure of a few things. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I scanned both the terrestrial and satellite channels in and they're working fine. Of course the sat channels are all over the place! Could somebody post the exact sequence of how to install channels list using a usb please?

I just recently recorded some programmes and on watching one back last last I found the box to be freezing especially so when fast forwarding. The only solution was to switch oof and restart as I could get any response from the remote. Anybody else experience this?

Lastly, when I switch on the box it displays INIT briefly, then BOOT for what seems a while and then Spark appears on the tv screen. Is this the norm for start up?

Many thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Grats wrote: »
    I purchased the Amiko Alien Triple Tuner loaded with Enigma 2 just recently. I found it too technical for me so reverted to Spark. Am now learning this new system so please forgive me if I'm asking questions already answered. I have read a lot of posts but still unsure of a few things. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I scanned both the terrestrial and satellite channels in and they're working fine. Of course the sat channels are all over the place! Could somebody post the exact sequence of how to install channels list using a usb please?

I just recently recorded some programmes and on watching one back last last I found the box to be freezing especially so when fast forwarding. The only solution was to switch oof and restart as I could get any response from the remote. Anybody else experience this?

Lastly, when I switch on the box it displays INIT briefly, then BOOT for what seems a while and then Spark appears on the tv screen. Is this the norm for start up?

Many thanks.

you add the dbase folder with the appdb and version.xml file on your usb

then do this

yes it can skip if you fast forward to fast accessing ur usb use slower fast forward speed or press right on the centre circle that works better

the box is slow to boot up from the power off in all modes

if u just use standy its not as bad . nut its good to boot your box everyday or 2

Nowso wrote: »
    you add the dbase folder with the appdb and version.xml file on your usb

then do this

yes it can skip if you fast forward to fast accessing ur usb use slower fast forward speed or press right on the centre circle that works better

the box is slow to boot up from the power off in all modes

if u just use standy its not as bad . nut its good to boot your box everyday or 2

Nowso - many thanks for your advise. I'll remember your tip on fast forwarding in future. When you say - power off v standby - do you mean actually switching it off at the power socket v using the red button on remote?

Regarding the data for downloading from usb, do I get that from Dropbox?

Again thanks, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

Nowso - many thanks for your advise. I'll remember your tip on fast forwarding in future. When you say - power off v standby - do you mean actually switching it off at the power socket v using the red button on remote?

Regarding the data for downloading from usb, do I get that from Dropbox?

Again thanks, much appreciated.
    I think there is an option in settings for standby powersaving mode
    If you switch this on the box will shutdown completly to just a red led on front

in normal standby red led + date + time the box just kills the video output but the rest ( tuners and hard disk ) and stuff is still running all the time

I think there may be 2 modes to the power button on the remote
    Short press normal standby
    long press shutdown or maybe confusing that bit with enigma
    Nowso may confirm this :-)

yes the downloads are on dropbox - download it extract it to the format required and add it to the usb

i should update a few things on it but whats on it is ok

standby is the red button full boot is the switch at the back

• Advertisement

Technofobe and Nowso, many thanks.

in the database dont extract the appdb.tar.gz file in the folder

im going to refresh the database now, i dont add there terrestrial because of the different frequencys . just search yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

installer Plugin does not work atm

using favourites etc may make it more awkward to record 1 station when watching another. when on all channels u can record soarview while on sat

here is how to install the database

it needs to be at root of usb and in the db2014 folder
    and the appdb and version file in it

you do not extract the appdbb file

you then sercan your terestrial

Can appdb.tar and version.xml be FTPd to the box as an alternative and if so where do they go?

no your much better of using the way in the video . press red to select the version.xml file and then press red to upgrade

in the database dont extract the appdb.tar.gz file in the folder

im going to refresh the database now, i dont add there terrestrial because of the different frequencys . just search yourself

That's fine. Will tackle that later. Will this overwrite the current channels on the box or do I delete these channels first? If yes, what's the best way of deleting?

• Advertisement

it will overwrite

just do a quick terrestrial search yourself then and your away

Nowso, Having gone through the steps as above - When I select to carry out upgrade I get a message - upgrade type error!!!

Any idea why? Is it the way I copied the folder onto the usb I wonder?

u have to select database alone on the top of the screen and not app or plugin

u have to select database alone on the top of the screen and not app or plugin

Spot on. It has upgraded on this occasion. Many thanks, truly appreciated.

it needs to be unzipped after downloading and in a folder called db2014.... etc on the usb root with the 2 files inside the version.xml and the appbd.tar.gz

it needs to be unzipped after downloading and in a folder called db2014.... etc on the usb root with the 2 files inside the version.xml and the appbd.tar.gz

We crossed over with posts there. All sorted now. Thank you.

good stuff the channels are all in groups to make it easier

good stuff the channels are all in groups to make it easier

Yes Nowso. Nicely set up now. Not only have I learned more about the this box but a bit about Dropbox also, thanks to you.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Thanks Nowso, I've being doing some reading & it looks to be down to the chipset in the wifi dongle.
    Fortunately & rather predictably they make their own which seem to work no problem.
    I bought one of these & I magically predict all my problems to disappear.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Amiko-WLN-880-USB-WiFi-Dongle-Alien-8900-Alien-2-8140-8240-8360-Mini-HD-/151270253151?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item233868e25f

Further to this I just wanted to confirm the Amiko dongle arrived & it works perfectly.
    Now I enjoy the fact I have Youtube although the player app is a bit buggy.
    Can anyone recommend any of these Spark Portal Apps which I quickly browsed through ?
    There are many of them but seem mostly foreign TV.

Many thanks.

Greetings Grats, I'm in the same situation as yourself.
    The box came preloaded with OpenATV but frustration with bouquets forced me to revert to Spark, I'm liking it so far.
    There's a few things counter intuitive like having to press timeshift before doing live pause but it's just a matter of relearning after being with Sky for so long.

I decided to arrange my own list of channels, I've the Saorview's 1-9 & the Satellite channels then from 10 up. I deleted loads & just kept the BBC, ITV, CH4, E4, More4, Film 4, Sky News & their variants. It took me about 40 minutes to do it all manually & then I backed up the image just to be safe.

I've a bit more playing to do with Spark Portal Apps & then I might give Enigma2 another shot.

• Advertisement

Greetings Grats, I'm in the same situation as yourself.
    The box came preloaded with OpenATV but frustration with bouquets forced me to revert to Spark, I'm liking it so far.
    There's a few things counter intuitive like having to press timeshift before doing live pause but it's just a matter of relearning after being with Sky for so long.

I decided to arrange my own list of channels, I've the Saorview's 1-9 & the Satellite channels then from 10 up. I deleted loads & just kept the BBC, ITV, CH4, E4, More4, Film 4, Sky News & their variants. It took me about 40 minutes to do it all manually & then I backed up the image just to be safe.

I've a bit more playing to do with Spark Portal Apps & then I might give Enigma2 another shot.

And greetings to you Shiraz 4.99. Looks like we did experience similar situations and I'm heading down the road you went! Having downloaded the list from Nowso's folder last night I'm now in a better state to start "playing" around and understanding the box better. I abandoned Enigma2 as I just found it too technical. I do intend revisiting it at some stage but I'm happy with what I have for now.

The next step is to do as you did, tidy up job and rearrange channels although the what I have now is fine too. The dongle will be worth a try.

I presume you have the same issue with freezing when watching recordings?

Regards.

I presume you have the same issue with freezing when watching recordings?

Regards.

Luckily I've not had any issues to speak of with recording & playback so far.
    It's either down to your HD or the software.
    Check your image under system information & make sure it's 1.2.73 which is the most up to date.
    http://amikostb.com/?q=product&id=153

I trust you formatted your HD to Linux Ext3 using Spark.

Check your image under system information & make sure it's 1.2.73 which is the most up to date.

Yep, I purchased the HD at the same time as the box and had it formatted to Linux Ext3 by the supplier. As I said previously I only started recording this week and the one I did watch caused the box to freeze when fast forwarding. As Nowso said, if you go too fast this can happen. I need to test it more. I'll check that I have 1.2.73 later, thank you.

As a matter of interest, when you set up recordings what way do you leave the box I.e. do you have to leave it on all the time if, say, you were away for a week or so?

Yep, I purchased the HD at the same time as the box and had it formatted to Linux Ext3 by the supplier. As I said previously I only started recording this week and the one I did watch caused the box to freeze when fast forwarding. As Nowso said, if you go too fast this can happen. I need to test it more. I'll check that I have 1.2.73 later, thank you.

As a matter of interest, when you set up recordings what way do you leave the box I.e. do you have to leave it on all the time if, say, you were away for a week or so?

I've only recoded 2 programs so far & I was off watching something else at the time so the box was always on, sorry I can't help.

I've a Samsung M3 1TB HD formatted to Ext3 using Spark & last night I could FF x32 no problem.

I've a question for Nowso also, my USB dongle is in the front slot so it's a bit ungainly with the door open & the wifi antenna on view.
    Can I connect to the rear USB slot as part as a USB hub which also carries the external HD or will that bunch things up ?

I've only recoded 2 programs so far & I was off watching something else at the time so the box was always on, sorry I can't help.

I've a Samsung M3 1TB HD formatted to Ext3 using Spark & last night I could FF x32 no problem.

I've a question for Nowso also, my USB dongle is in the front slot so it's a bit ungainly with the door open & the wifi antenna on view.
    Can I connect to the rear USB slot as part as a USB hub which also carries the external HD or will that bunch things up ?

I was actually going to ask a similar question regarding the dongle. Having it sticking out the front doesn't apoeal to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You can use a hub.

http://www.satworld.ie/amiko-4-port-usb-hub.html

I presume other hubs are fine as well.

Just checked the system and my firmware is 1.2.72. It tells me the box was updated in March last year!!! Only bought the box recently and would have thought the latest firmware would be on it. Will update ASAP. Thanks for tip off.

To Nowso - do I upgrade the latest firmware in the same way as the channels? I presume I have the necessary data already on the usb from my previous download? I just noticed today that I was having difficulty trying to record a terrestrial channel and watch a satellite one - it wouldn't let me switch. Would the older firmware be the problem?

yes the new firmware will help update it via the spark portal menu

yes the new firmware will help update it via the spark portal menu

I haven't got to the stage of linking up the Internet yet. I'm assuming I would need to be in order to use the portal menu. Can I upgrade through upgrade menu as I did with the channels list? Thanks.

• Advertisement

you can download it from site and do that but via the portal is a lot easier tbh

re The dongle in the front , instead of having it sticking up have it sideways looks better

Advertisement