Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** SPARK** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

deezell wrote: »
    Just finished reading this thread, all 28 pages. Got a sab triple this weekend, after many years with an Edision combo. Enigma had me pulling out hair after a day, ( how do you edit the channels, and show the terrestrial and sat in one nice List). Anyway, I'll cut my teeth on Spark first, epg looks exactly like the Edision so the tut factor will be lower when the box is introduced. Cross epg working without a hitch, channels tuned but will download Nowso's channels database to save time. Picture definitely better than the Edision. Can this box record to a network attached storage instead of a usb? I could play back pc media files as well as recordings without plugging in usb sticks. The Rte 1+1 issue worries me, we use that a lot, often switching just before 7 Pm for the 6 news, which would be when there is no signal. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it crashes. Also, is that Lavatronics auto channel updater just for Enigma2?

Not that I'm pleased to read that you were pulling your hair out with Enigma but it is exactly my experience. With the help from posters here I reverted to Spark and am happily using the box at this stage. Now that I've learned so much I do intend tackling Enigma again soon.

Two follow on questions I have - is it worth upgrading to the latest firmware 1.2.74? And, with regards to the recordings on the HDD attached to the box, is it possible to copy those recordings via a laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Nowso's previous answer seems to say you can access the USB connected HDD from your laptop, which should be the case if you can share the drive. It would be nice to have the opposite, a view of your PC hard drive, so you can play PC stored media file.The other option is a network attached storage, NAS, a hard drive connected by ethernet which is visible to the box and to Pcs on the network. I'm interested in that setup, I'm curious as to it's performance for recording and time shifting though. I'd imagine that the USB connected drive would be more solid in this regard, there's a lot of Data slewing down the line when you time shift or record. I'll get back to Enigma when I've time and opportunity, and If i can't get what I need from spark. 99.9% of my viewing is terrestrial, with a small bit of streamed content usually via a chromebook. I had tried RTE player in Enigma and it worked first time, but the sound was slightly out of sync. Are there on demand plugins for spark?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

if you can update to the latest firmware do your channel list and plugins are not effected

no on demand plugins just use your chromebook for now

you can copy / move recording and play them on vlc Media Player on your laptop

it works on fta and the encrypted channels if you have them

if what you want is watching tv and recording spark is better , for the odd on demand programme i want i use my laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Nowso wrote: »
    if you can update to the latest firmware do your channel list and plugins are not effected

if what you want is watching tv and recording spark is better , for the odd on demand programme i want i use my laptop

Many thanks for advise.

Tried the channel update, got the " stbid doesn't match " error. I assume I need to up the firmware. Mine is 1.2.69, which is Dec 2013, though the box is brand new. The U boot is at 4 though. Sab currently is at 1.2.72, though amiko is at 1.2.74. Probably because I ordered Enigma, the suppliers would disregard the spark version, could easily be in stock for a year. So, will my Oscam and crossepg plugins remain after upgrade. Should I go to 72 or 74.

• Advertisement

ahh I had that issue . i tried to load the channel list for an Amiko Alien 2 on an 8900/alien1 and it wouldnt work and i had to organise the channels on the 8900 seperately

So the channel list for an AA2 might not suit a SAB triple running Spark, or it might if I up the version. Current SAB is 1.2.72, your XML version file shows system at 1.2.73. I wonder if this is where the upgrade decides that the stbid is a mismatch. Is it because my system version is older or is it the model id in the Version.XML file, "Stbmodel="0C000A00" ,that aborts the upload. The devil in me is tempted to tinker with this file and substitute whatever Stbmodel= number my box would generate if I saved my current unsorted channel list. I'll have a meddle tonight, start by going to 1.2.72 from the SAB upgrade. I don't think I should use the next versions from amiko, I fear messing up the box, though I could just revert if this happens. Why this urge to tinker before i've even got to use it for its original purpose. Maybe just sit down and sort the channels by hand, a few hours well spent.

the list was done on 73 . next update will be done on 74

id say its the box id changing it might be worth a go if it all goes wrong load the rescue image

the list was done on 73 . next update will be done on 74

id say its the box id changing it might be worth a go if it all goes wrong load the rescue image

Upgraded to 1.2.73. To use Nowso's channel list (created on an Amiko) on my Sab triple, I edited the "Stbmodel="0C000A00" part of the version.XML file, to "Stbmodel="0C000E00" . I got this id from a save of my own random channel list. It worked. Rescanned my terrestrials and stuck them on front. The rte1+1 is a real issue though, just crashes the tuners, sat and terrestrial. Menus still work, but nothing gets it going again except a reboot. The CrossEpg is great, I have it set to reload at 4am, but one dide effect is that it doesn't exit back to the tuner after this, you're left with the CrossEpg information pane, and have to press exit when you come home and switch on. I've turned reload off to see what happens tomorrow.

thats good that it worked

the rte1=1 is worse with some of the english freeview stations if your in the area to pick them up

leave rte1+1 off and just record anything u cant watch on rte1 might be the idea

if u need it u can do tune it in a few seconds

ill do an updated channel list in the next week or so , as there have been a few changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭rb25

When the amiko is shut down at night and then restarted the plugins seem to say that they are running but they are actually not running and need to be stopped and started.

How can I get the mgcamd plugin to start automatically in Spark?

rb25 wrote: »
    When the amiko is shut down at night and then restarted the plugins seem to say that they are running but they are actually not running and need to be stopped and started.

they are running but the the connection might have been lost so then needs to be restarted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

rb25 wrote: »

Happens mine as well. Pita.

I just leave the box on.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Happens mine as well. Pita.

I just leave the box on.

you would be better of using another option it better than the emu

the instructions were in my spark utilities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

2 questions I hope someone may be able to help with.
    Any sign of a good EPG on spark being able to show all channels with whats on now and over next few hours without having to do it channel by channel?

Has anyone managed to remotely view a cctv using the amiko alien 2? Using opera I can go to the static ip address of my cctv and log in but I cant view it without installing active x controls?

the channel to channel bit of the epg is annoying .you can trick about with it

it depends on your system different webcams need different plugins/ software to view them ,

I noticed the strong similarity in the GUI of the spark interface to that of the interface on my old Edision combi tuner. In particular, channel organisation, tuning and EPG are remarkably similar, but the Edision, when in EPG Schedule mode, displays the channels on the left with the full days programs listed on the right and the day selector overhead. It's a nuisance on spark to have to press the blue button to switch between cahnnels on the EPG. I'm wondering if the coders who developed the edision have some interest in the spark interface, perhaps thay could look at this aspect of the interface and develop it in line with the more intuitive Edision EPG.

it would be good to change it but its unlikely

it still is the most stable set upto watch and record tv from simular boxs

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Has anyone figured out a way of triggering Timeshift from the remote without the HDD wearing permanent Timeshift being on from the menu? I can live with the EPG (I use TVGuide app anyway) but that was the one thing that drove me nuts, I don't use the box as much anymore but whenever I do it still bugs me if I want to pause it. Why they never fixed it so pause triggers Timeshift I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

deezell wrote: »
    ... It's a nuisance on spark to have to press the blue button to switch between cahnnels on the EPG. I'm wondering if the coders who developed the edision have some interest in the spark interface, perhaps thay could look at this aspect of the interface and develop it in line with the more intuitive Edision EPG.

It's nearly two years since I got my AA2. Ever since at least that far back there has been the debate about the Spark interface and it's awkward EPG. Once you are comfortable with flashing, backing up and using Spark you should invest some time in the enigma2 images. Even if they are a little less stable if you take the time to learn you can always solve the problem yourself and in the meantime they give soo much more functionality: EPG, streaming channels to another TV or laptop with interfaces that are feature rich and actually work.
    it would be good to change it but its unlikely

it still is the most stable set upto watch and record tv from simular boxs

I stuck with Spark for about 6 months and learned how to use it. It's true, it is more stable and the picture is better on it too. But stability is no excuse for not improving its EPG. Even the look and feel of it is so dated.

Cheers,

Flex

• Advertisement

what i use it the box for is watching and recording tv .i have enigma 2 set up but dont need or want to use it .

it is old and bit awkward but works best for me and may suit a few others aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eoin McGlynn

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but I need some expert advice.

My Amiko Alien 2 STB (about 4 months old) has stopped booting.

It had some issue earlier in the week where it froze and needed rebooting. This happened several times. I tried to load the recovery image via USB but it would not read the image. I tried 3 images (mine, the one from Amiko, and Nowso). I also used several USB drives, but i know at least one of the drives should work as i have used to upload enigma images when i both the box initially). I made no changes to the software prior to the problems.

When I couldn't upload the image i did a factory reset. that worked initially, then it froze. i restarted, but it will not even boot now.

Any help is appreciated.
    Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Hi Guys,

It had some issue earlier in the week where it froze and needed rebooting. This happened several times. I tried to load the recovery image via USB but it would not read the image. I tried 3 images (mine, the one from Amiko, and Nowso). I also used several USB drives, but i know at least one of the drives should work as i have used to upload enigma images when i both the box initially). I made no changes to the software prior to the problems.

When I couldn't upload the image i did a factory reset. that worked initially, then it froze. i restarted, but it will not even boot now.

Any help is appreciated.
    Eoin.
    Bit of a long shot but try unplugging the satellite coax cables and see if it boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

Hi Guys,

It had some issue earlier in the week where it froze and needed rebooting.......

Any help is appreciated. f
    Eoin.
    Eoin, AFAIK the Sparc image only likes Kingston USB's. Enigma is less fussy but it was the reason I moved to Enigma initially because i hadnt got a Kingston lying around the house.
    Keep meaning to go back and update but never get round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

and sorry Eoin that doesnt really help where you are at now :(

Bit of a long shot but try unplugging the satellite coax cables and see if it boots.

thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work

thegreek wrote: »
    and sorry Eoin that doesnt really help where you are at now :(

good info for when I do get it fixed :)

is it not booting into spark or enigma 2

small drives formatted to fat32 to load the resue image it needs to be loaded by forcing method

is it not booting into spark or enigma 2

small drives formatted to fat32 to load the resue image it needs to be loaded by forcing method

Its not booting at all. When I power it on, the clock comes on, but otherwise nothing. It does not say "boot" on the LCD. When I hold the OK key, it does not enter the force mode.

When it was booting, I tried to load the recovery image using boot.

• Advertisement

Its not booting at all. When I power it on, the clock comes on, but otherwise nothing. It does not say "boot" on the LCD. When I hold the OK key, it does not enter the force mode.

When it was booting, I tried to load the recovery image using boot.

send it back spark is covered under the 1 year guarantee

Advertisement