Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** SPARK** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

all these new boxs and still Spark is the one i prefer as i want to use it for watching and recording tv .

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

deezell wrote: »
    Poor retailer !!. You'll find that android devices and their interfaces have a different type of supporter, people who are into streaming, movie downloading and building a single entertainment and media centre type of device. If you like Netfix, XBMC (Kodi) app, Google pay music etc. then your'e that kind of user....

Thanks Deezel,

I've been using E2 for over two years now and am familiar with all the different images. The problem is the bugginess remains - even on the higher end boxes.

I'm not convinced that as an OS E2 is sufficiently mature yet. I love the innovation of the community but the quality control is often lacking.

I can see why Nowso sticks to Spark, it sure underpromises but largely delivers on that 'underpromise'.

Android is an incrdedibly popular OS, has a lot of similarities to E2 community regarding innovation but 'possibly' has better QA before it does App releases etc. It's this bit I'm interested to test.

If not, it's back to E2 I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Based on my experience with a high-end Sony android TV I wouldn't recommend it. Mine crashes at least once a week for no obvious reasons. Being android big Brother Google is watching everything you do. It tweets whatever your watching which you cant disable.You need your Google acc AND your Sony Playstation ACC even just to update the firmware. Likewise nearly all apps want your Google login. There's 100s of things running in the background most of which I can't even guess at their use. I'm sorry I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Based on my experience with a high-end Sony android TV I wouldn't recommend it. Mine crashes at least once a week for no obvious reasons. Being android big Brother Google is watching everything you do. It tweets whatever your watching which you cant disable.You need your Google acc AND your Sony Playstation ACC even just to update the firmware. Likewise nearly all apps want your Google login. There's 100s of things running in the background most of which I can't even guess at their use. I'm sorry I bought it.

I DETEST poxy social media interference and monitoring of my activities. Did you know embedded facebook app on your phone LISTENs to your conversations and uses speech to text recognition to pick out key words, then transforms that into saleable data so the popup ads on your screen are about stuff you've just been talking about? Imagine that on your receiver!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

I DETEST poxy social media interference and monitoring of my activities. Did you know embedded facebook app on your phone LISTENs to your conversations and uses speech to text recognition to pick out key words, then transforms that into saleable data so the popup ads on your screen are about stuff you've just been talking about? Imagine that on your receiver!!

As long as you've nothing to hide...,

I'm joking, sounds horrendous! I May rethink my course of action so.

Appreciate the input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

...and don't get me started about Windows CIA edition 10 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

Having an issue with recroding & subtitles. The subtiles show up while a show is recording but then they are not availlable when I view the recording. Anyone know anything about this?

there is a search subtitle online function if you hit the green butten - not sure if its working

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I think my Amiko Alien 2 has given up the ghost. It started playing up a few weeks back. I reflashed it with the Hyperion 4 image (the same one I have used for almost 2 years. However anytime I booted into it the word STARTING would appear on the LCD screen and stay there. Anytime I watched anything the box would (after about 10 minutes) show that green screen and reboot. It became impossible to watch anything so I reflashed with the same image but now the box is stuck in Boot Mode when I go back into Enigma.

I have tried Hyperion 4.5, 5.1 and 5.5 images as well as a number of others over the last few days but the problem still persists. The image updates on Spark but when I boot into Enigma the BOOT display remains on the display on the box.

Is there some way of JUMP STARTING the box :) to start working again in Engima or is it time to get a new box?

Thanks.

gazzer wrote: »
    I think my Amiko Alien 2 has given up the ghost. It started playing up a few weeks back. I reflashed it with the Hyperion 4 image (the same one I have used for almost 2 years. However anytime I booted into it the word STARTING would appear on the LCD screen and stay there. Anytime I watched anything the box would (after about 10 minutes) show that green screen and reboot. It became impossible to watch anything so I reflashed with the same image but now the box is stuck in Boot Mode when I go back into Enigma.

I have tried Hyperion 4.5, 5.1 and 5.5 images as well as a number of others over the last few days but the problem still persists. The image updates on Spark but when I boot into Enigma the BOOT display remains on the display on the box.

Is there some way of JUMP STARTING the box :) to start working again in Engima or is it time to get a new box?

Thanks.

you can use spark

try loading an image via the boot recovery method , turn on hold the middle button etc and go to enigma 2 but instead of hitting ok to boot push right to force load the image from the usb

• Advertisement

Nowso wrote: »
    you can use spark

try loading an image via the boot recovery method , turn on hold the middle button etc and go to enigma 2 but instead of hitting ok to boot push right to force load the image from the usb

Thanks for that info. So (just so I am clear). Instead of me booting into spark and loading the image from there I just do what you have said above. OR do I do what you have said AFTER I have loaded the image through Spark?

Sorry if that is a stupid question :)

gazzer wrote: »
    Thanks for that info. So (just so I am clear). Instead of me booting into spark and loading the image from there I just do what you have said above. OR do I do what you have said AFTER I have loaded the image through Spark?

Sorry if that is a stupid question :)

Yes, don't boot into spark. Flash straight from usb.
    Read this
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BztHgAu7cL-QUVVrNFpxYXlGYTQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Yes, don't boot into spark. Flash straight from usb.
    Read this
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BztHgAu7cL-QUVVrNFpxYXlGYTQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Perfect. Thanks for that info. Really appreciate it. I will try it out when I get home this evening.

there is a search subtitle online function if you hit the green butten - not sure if its working

I haven't got it connected to the network yet. I have switched back from E2 recently where it woked on it. It was the crashing that brought me back to Spark though. TBH Spark crashes just as much, its just that I don't have to wait multiple days for it to recover. I couldn't even get into the recovery mode. I'm might try go back to it with an updated image. This whole experience has been just hassle though. Doing it for my folks... :(
    cheers

smjpl wrote: »
    I haven't got it connected to the network yet. I have switched back from E2 recently where it woked on it. It was the crashing that brought me back to Spark though. TBH Spark crashes just as much, its just that I don't have to wait multiple days for it to recover. I couldn't even get into the recovery mode. I'm might try go back to it with an updated image. This whole experience has been just hassle though. Doing it for my folks... :(
    cheers

Spark should not be crashing - only for the rte1+1 on soarview not transmitting which is better deleted.

any other minor issues in spark are fixed by powering off and on with back switch

i have 5 boxs set up for parents relatives and friends on spark and networked up and there able to use it fine now

Spark should not be crashing - only for the rte1+1 on soarview not transmitting which is better deleted.

any other minor issues in spark are fixed by powering off and on with back switch

i have 5 boxs set up for parents relatives and friends on spark and networked up and there able to use it fine now

I'm not sure why its crashing. I didn't add RTE+1 to the FAV list so I don't think that is the issue. It seems to happen when you change channels quickly but it only happens intermittently (~ 1-2 times a week) and is quickly fixed by power cycling.

I am using the default Spark image from the box. Should I be using a fresh image (I've see posts here saying 'download an image instead')? And if so, should't I get it from amikostb.com? I see people here linking images from google drive or dropbox instead of directly from Amiko.

there is the latest 1.2.83 spark

i know the error you mean re changing channels , only rarely happens to me . when u hit the middle ok button instead of just holding up or down to change channels , the programme up/ down moves 10 channels up and down and does not cause errors .

the image is here http://www.amikostb.com/?q=product&id=153

if connected to net you can do it in the spark menu

other options u have seleted in menus might affect it

there is the latest 1.2.83 spark

i know the error you mean re changing channels , only rarely happens to me . when u hit the middle ok button instead of just holding up or down to change channels , the programme up/ down moves 10 channels up and down and does not cause errors .

the image is here http://www.amikostb.com/?q=product&id=153

if connected to net you can do it in the spark menu

other options u have seleted in menus might affect it

Thanks. I appreciate all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Think I will go for a fresh install as box hangs every few days.
    Nowso sending you a PM as looking for help please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Im using the SAB triple unix box running Enigma2 images for over 2yrs now & happy enough, I notice the version of Spark on my box is 1.2.76 & that is also the only version available on the SAB web site.
    The latest spark software available for the Amiko Alien 2 is 1.2.83 & I'm assuming this latest version would have various improvments & bug fixes over the older versions like the version on my box & the one on the SAB site.
    Now to my questions:
    1..Can I load the latest Amiko Alien 2 Spark software on my SAB box without causing any issues?
    2..If I do load a new Spark version to the box will it interfer with my present Enigma2 instalation?
    Thanks...

• Advertisement

Spark should not affect enigma 2

there is not a lot of difference between 1.2.76 + 83 . mainly updated web apps

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Hey

How do I check if a tuner card is fecked, is it possible that it can pick up some channels and not others. running enigma 2 on Sab Triple, when I scan its only finding 520 channels, when i scan on my amiko box i get the 900, I am using the same E2 image on both boxes, it seems to be the same on both tuner cards on the sab

It was working fine last week, brought it to my father in laws house and then half the channels were missing and were grayed out in the menu, now its doing the same in my house.

When i install a fresh image from my amiko box onto sab, BBCs work fine, otheres dont work like E4/Ch4 etc, but when I rescan the BBCs then dont work and I can find versions of C4 that do work. I am totally confused

Any ideas what could be causing this, could I have fried tuner cards plugging the sat cables in and out?

Cheers

wellboss wrote: »
    Hey

How do I check if a tuner card is fecked, is it possible that it can pick up some channels and not others. running enigma 2 on Sab Triple, when I scan its only finding 520 channels, when i scan on my amiko box i get the 900, I am using the same E2 image on both boxes, it seems to be the same on both tuner cards on the sab

It was working fine last week, brought it to my father in laws house and then half the channels were missing and were grayed out in the menu, now its doing the same in my house.

When i install a fresh image from my amiko box onto sab, BBCs work fine, otheres dont work like E4/Ch4 etc, but when I rescan the BBCs then dont work and I can find versions of C4 that do work. I am totally confused

Any ideas what could be causing this, could I have fried tuner cards plugging the sat cables in and out?

Cheers
    If the LNB is not switching either band or polarity, you will be missing up to half the channels. Check cable connector at rear of box. Check a sample of received channels, use info to see their frequency and polarity, this will indicate if they are all H or V polarity, or else all above or below the 11.7 Ghz band split. If you see either pattern, then your lnb is faulty or your box signalling up the cable is amiss. Check received signal level also, your dish may be misaligned causing the loss of some but not all TPS..
    This answer is a copy on one I gave on Enigma thread, here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102712464&postcount=6873

Read through the discusion for more detail and some tests. Start with an image with full channel list,
    If you blind rescan with missing polarity or band switching you can get strange results.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Thanks will have a good look on that link. using the same lnb into my own amiko box, which works fine but channels missing on the sab box when I try that. To me suggests that its the box rather than the input

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

wellboss wrote: »
    Thanks will have a good look on that link. using the same lnb into my own amiko box, which works fine but channels missing on the sab box when I try that. To me suggests that its the box rather than the input
    I have a sab triplex with the very same issues.iv flashed a few different images and none cured the problem. I have tried the box on a few different dish's and the same result.my zgeema box tunes all 900 channel,s no probs.

massy086 wrote: »
    I have a sab triplex with the very same issues.iv flashed a few different images and none cured the problem. I have tried the box on a few different dish's and the same result.my zgeema box tunes all 900 channel,s no probs.

That suggests a problem switching polarity or band on the Lnb. Either will lose you half the channels, though most FTA in the lower band. Connect a multimeter to tuner socket and test for change in the DC voltage when switching from H to V channels. Here's a chart to identify which channels are affected and if the problem is polarity switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭taytobreath

how do u free up the memory on an amiko alien through filezilla or that kind of access, i cant access the box because its stuck in boot and i no its because the memory is full to the brim

how do u free up the memory on an amiko alien through filezilla or that kind of access, i cant access the box because its stuck in boot and i no its because the memory is full to the brim

if its s took in boot on spark , load the spark rescue image and then reload everything

on enigma 2 , there are variour reasons for crashing and if your in boot reload your back up in new image

in spark filezila username is root - pass is root

in enigma 2 it varies depending on image

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭taytobreath

i tried the rescue image and it loads for about 5 mins then brings up this weird 'eyy' (the y's are back to front) message on the front panel. its the right rescue image for the brand of box.

i can get into the menu for enigma. with no picture it lets me navigate the menu.but with a picture the receiver freezes completely

when it gets stuck in spark it displays the message load

• Advertisement

the spark rescue image takes about 8 or 9 minutes to load .

install that n go from there

add it to a usb stick and have the spark folder on it with the 2 files inside

Advertisement