Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** SPARK** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Fhearmai wrote: »
    Hello all. I just today received my SAB UNIX Triple from FreeTV.ie. How could I possibly say no for €78 delivered.

Anyways, I have connected up sat and tv cables and everything is fine straight of the box and a bit of tuning. Job done ....

I am running this atm as is and assume the software is the Spark software. My version number is 1.2.76. The last few posts are telling me that I do not have the latest version on my stb. I have not decided on Hyperion or PurE2 yet but my question is ...

Do I need the 1.2.83 version of Spark to be able to flash the latest versions of either of them?

1.27 is on sab i think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

cyndale wrote: »
    I have been using Freshpots version of Hyperion 4.5 and it has worked consistently for me, no green screens. I tried a couple of the later versions but they all crashed.

Jesus you're getting good milage out of that. I was freshpots many moons ago!! Glad it's still serving you well!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

DopeTech wrote: »
    Jesus you're getting good milage out of that. I was freshpots many moons ago!! Glad it's still serving you well!

I just didn't mess around with it. YOU'RE THE MAN! THANK YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Jesus do you remember the good oul days of eagerly awaiting freshpots and championc uploading a new image! The whole card sharing thing was mental and the poor mods were driven demented trying to stop all the bold boys talking about things that weren't allowed, I know zardoz and deezel are still on here and I see Gerry wicklow posting away regularly. I got the itch again after trying pure2 and spark so I'm now giving hyperion 5.5 another go, I know I had trouble a few years back with the epg not populating so that should be fun trying to solve

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Jesus do you remember the good oul days of eagerly awaiting freshpots and championc uploading a new image! The whole card sharing thing was mental and the poor mods were driven demented trying to stop all the bold boys talking about things that weren't allowed, I know zardoz and deezel are still on here and I see Gerry wicklow posting away regularly. I got the itch again after trying pure2 and spark so I'm now giving hyperion 5.5 another go, I know I had trouble a few years back with the epg not populating so that should be fun trying to solve

I remember well all the goings on. Waiting in anticipation, I have plenty of time, ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Great days, great fun messing and ruining a perfectly good setup, then trying to figure wtf you had done wrong. I remember my first go at imageing the box after I got fed up of dodgy OpenATV that came with it, (I had dropped Spark after a week). Hyperion 4.5 so versatile and stable that I'm still using it, and still learning. Version 5.5 you say? Now it just happens I have a spare partition on my disk, and I've just noticed install manager on 4.5 beckoning, though I have Image Manager working perfectly. Maybe I'll use Install manager to image partition 1 with 5.5, I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Blue Panel/Install Manager/Multiboot menu

508601.jpg

I like it! The Pk teams website still has all the basic images on it for the sab from 4 right up to 5.5. I didnt see any for the alien 2 but I presume they'll all work. They are now up to 7.1 for the boxes they still support like the formuler. The head pk guy said he dosnt do the sh4 anymore cause he has no decoder (whatever that means)

I like it! The Pk teams website still has all the basic images on it for the sab from 4 right up to 5.5. I didnt see any for the alien 2 but I presume they'll all work. They are now up to 7.1 for the boxes they still support like the formuler. The head pk guy said he dosnt do the sh4 anymore cause he has no decoder (whatever that means)
    I didn't see Alien or Sab on their site, but I r3call golden media Tripllex was the same clone, here;
    http://e2.pkteam.pl/index.php?dir=IMAGE%20GOLDEN%20MEDIA/

Anyway, it's on the partition and booting as we speak. Let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The head pk guy said he dosnt do the sh4 anymore cause he has no decoder (whatever that means)

He doesn't have an Alien receiver anymore is what he means .
    Gorski was heavily involved in Hyperion ,he is involved with PurE2 now .

I had no time to play with the Aliens till this Corona virus outbreak.

Well that was a monster cluster***k. Boot stopped and displayed "Triplex". That was it. Several power on off cycles to no avail. I powered on +OK button, went into Spark, so strange, last seen over 5 years ago. Powered off, i had enigma2 image on usb at the ready, but no need, second time I powered up and changed back to enigma, but before I plugged in usb flash image, it reverted to the Box flash image, hyp 4.5. So if you boot a duff E2 image on a usb disk from multiboot, it seems to revert to the image in the box after a bit of tinkering. Maybe I could do with a better version of 5.5, I'm presuming either the Golden balls version was corrupt in some way, wasn't suitable for my Sab Triplex, or just is more trouble than it's worth. Still, I'll try again later.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Well that was a monster cluster***k. Boot stopped and displayed "Triplex". That was it. Several power on off cycles to no avail. I powered on +OK button, went into Spark, so strange, last seen over 5 years ago. Powered off, i had enigma2 image on usb at the ready, but no need, second time I powered up and changed back to enigma, but before I plugged in usb flash image, it reverted to the Box flash image, hyp 4.5. So if you boot a duff E2 image on a usb disk from multiboot, it seems to revert to the image in the box after a bit of tinkering. Maybe I could do with a better version of 5.5, I'm presuming either the Golden balls version was corrupt in some way, wasn't suitable for my Sab Triplex, or just is more trouble than it's worth. Still, I'll try again later.

I wouldnt bother with Hyperion 5.5 Deezell , 4.5 performed better from my experience.

Zardoz wrote: »
    I wouldnt bother with Hyperion 5.5 Deezell , 4.5 performed better from my experience.

I think you're right. If if fails on multiboot..... I'm like a kid with a toy. I'll concentrate on Pure and Hyp 4.5 for now, try some plugins for the former. It has a torrent player plugin apparently, though saying that likely to incur the wrath of the Mods. Like old times.

Yeah I love 4.5 and have nearly zero issues with it, recordings sometimes freeze for a few seconds, hard drive would be 4/5 full so that could be causing a few issues, it was the golden media 5 5 image I downloaded. I dont know why I thought that was the company who makes the sab box but it booted up no problem and I had it set up and running with epg the only issue. I'm off work today so I might try a few others like opentv or openpli or whatever the kids are using nowadays

..... I might try a few others like opentv or openpli or whatever the kids are using nowadays
    Kids? using Enigma2 ? At this stage it's almost Mens' Shed territory. Kids (i.e, <30) probably are all streaming VM or Disney on their Phones, or going to Netflix parties. Even the demographic of Twitter is ageing, though it's now has been well exposed as a cesspit of misinformation because of the current crisis. If I have to listen to Miriam O'Callaghan saying "But I read on Twitter today....." once more. And she's no kid
    My Hyp 5.5 didn't write to the partition at all, hence box freeze. I'll give it a go later, for the crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭pegasuspub

i have an old sab triplex that has the original enigma as ive never updated it, i was looking at hyperion 4.5 on your link and there are 4 options , would it be worth upgrade, i have a hdd on it and basically use it to watch saorview and free to air and record the odd program, on spare tv?

pegasuspub wrote: »
    i have an old sab triplex that has the original enigma as ive never updated it, i was looking at hyperion 4.5 on your link and there are 4 options , would it be worth upgrade, i have a hdd on it and basically use it to watch saorview and free to air and record the odd program, on spare tv?

your better off upgrade to latest open atv 6.3 with wooshbuild maybe everything upto date

pegasuspub wrote: »

The bottom 2 are for the Triplex. The third one is for the cold start USB install method, here.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WTK80GLT8p6UIxGXvYMLZUs3RgNvxElm/view?usp=drivesdk

The bottom one is for hot installation from within an image, or from the Spark E2 install plugin I think?
    Third one needs to be decompressed until you have just a folder named enigma2 with 2 files in it. Its up to you. What E2 have you got , OpenATV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Nowso wrote: »
    your better off upgrade to latest open atv 6.3 with wooshbuild maybe everything upto date

sorry folks for the newbie question.. is there a step by step guide as to how to do it. open atv version 6.2 is only supported on the box. 6.3 and 6.4 have no images when you go onto to open atv website.

wooshbuild says you just install it via the webro ap but i cant see that on the sab.

sorry folks for the newbie question.. is there a step by step guide as to how to do it. open atv version 6.2 is only supported on the box. 6.3 and 6.4 have no images when you go onto to open atv website.

wooshbuild says you just install it via the webro ap but i cant see that on the sab.

Download flash Image,
    Extract the two files, e2jffs and uImage.
    Place on a FAT32 usb stick in a folder named enigma2 (lowercase essential).
    Insert in the rear of the Sab.
    Hold OK button, power on.
    When the word FORC appears on the front display, release OK, , press channel down button, ENIG displays.
    Press Volume up button, FACT displays
    E2 Loads from the USB.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WTK80GLT8p6UIxGXvYMLZUs3RgNvxElm/view?usp=drivesdk

PurE2 is forked off Openatv ,you'd be better off going with that .
    I never liked Openatv on the Aliens ,performance was poor and it often froze at 49% on bootup.

• Advertisement

Zardoz wrote: »
    PurE2 is forked off Openatv ,you'd be better off going with that .
    I never liked Openatv on the Aliens ,performance was poor and it often froze at 49% on bootup.

open atv been a lot better on 6.3 for a while now

6.3 is available for amikos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Nowso wrote: »
    6.3 is available for amikos

can i download the amikos version and use it on the SAB?

might be worth a try ok not sure ?

Yes, sab Triplex is a clone of Amiko alien triple, but I'd concur with Zardoz, PurE2 be better, fully supported. Just remember to disable cable scan on the sat tuners config, or they'll stay stuck on DVB-C when you try to scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Do u still need a sky dish to sky dish as I still have 2 amiko alien 8900 in attic.

Do u still need a sky dish to sky dish as I still have 2 amiko alien 8900 in attic.
    What do you mean by "sky dish to sky dish"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

What do you mean by "sky dish to sky dish"?

Sorry that was a typo do u still need a sky dish for the 8900

Sorry that was a typo do u still need a sky dish for the 8900

Yes Unless you are not using it for free satellite reception. For Saorview you'll need a terrestrial aerial or an indoor aerial if you have strong signals. For IPTV, just a decent broadband connection.

• Advertisement

Yes Unless you are not using it for free satellite reception. For Saorview you'll need a terrestrial aerial or an indoor aerial if you have strong signals. For IPTV, just a decent broadband connection.

yes u need a sat dish for 8900 as its a satellite only box

Advertisement