Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** SPARK** Discussion Thread

Options
1454647484951»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Alatar

So is there a replacement I should install, or is the hardware just too out of date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

jaysus lads get a firestick times have moved on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Alatar wrote: »
    So is there a replacement I should install, or is the hardware just too out of date?

its still usable for free to air stuff and Irish - its handy to have and more reliable than streaming - i use a lot of streaming but have it as back up or other option as streaming is not always working great or internet may be out other people still prefer to use it a lot more than streaming

the open atv 6.3 image is pretty upto date only a few months old - and i have it running on a mini and 8900 -

i installed wooshbuild aswell on top of that

Yeah. I have FireTV for Kodi, Netflix etc. I just need the TV for live Rugby, streams are always a few minutes behind which kills the drama when chatting on Whatsapp!

Where would I find a new image and would it run ok on this hardware, or should I just leave well enough alone while its still working?

ETA: Sorry, crossposted! Thanks!

• Advertisement

Yeah. I have FireTV for Kodi, Netflix etc. I just need the TV for live Rugby, streams are always a few minutes behind which kills the drama when chatting on Whatsapp!

Where would I find a new image and would it run ok on this hardware, or should I just leave well enough alone while its still working?

ETA: Sorry, crossposted! Thanks!

if u can update autobouqets provider files maybe and search again maybe it might work not worth reloading unless u need to -

ifs its just for rte and u cant get it updated boot to spark and search and set that up for the irish and watch them on spark

and iptv is easyer and better than kodi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

It's still the business for stream access on your phone or tablet when about the house or away from home. Dreamdoid app is perfect, bit of channel hopping lying in the bed, BT headphones and a good movie on Horror or Film4. Especially enjoyable pre covid if abroad in a hotel with only BBC world news. There's a smart Philips TV which advertises stream access to its Tuners, thats the only other option for this feature I've heard off.

Sorry guys, having no luck with this at all! Can't get the Sab Triple to boot/flash from the USB. I've tried googling, but they're either talking about old plugins for Vix or updating from Spark and none of these options seem to apply. I've tried powering off and booting up with the USB in and holding down various buttons but nothing. My image has nothing in the plugins to allow me to read from the USB. What am I missing?

Back up of hyperion
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1c-lgp9WYY4P5M59j7baKpVw0PF2uHIud

How to flash from a USB stick.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WTK80GLT8p6UIxGXvYMLZUs3RgNvxElm/view?usp=drivesdk

This will wipe your Vix 4 image. If you have downloaded and updated Vix4 flash image, it should look like the first link. A directory on the USB stick named enigma2, lower case, containing the 2 files, uImage and e2jffs2.img. This is the flash upload, done from a cold start of the box while holding down the OK button. If you download a raw new image, you will have to start from scratch, tuner setip, plugins, the works. If you use someone else's recent backup (that one I posted is old), you will need to retune for your different terrestrial location, and for changed Astra channels. Don't do this unless you have plenty of time ion your hands and are prepared to scour this thread and others. This is the amiko E2 thread I restarted some time ago, after the original was closed.
    https://www.boards.ie/mobile/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057726675&page=48

Thanks Deezell. Is there a way to backup my current image in case I want to revert back later.

Also, rather than a clean install, is there a way to just update my image in place and keep the settings?

• Advertisement

Thanks Deezell. Is there a way to backup my current image in case I want to revert back later.

Also, rather than a clean install, is there a way to just update my image in place and keep the settings?

Is there any reason you want to update, has something stopped working. You'll find a lot of users will say the earlier images are the most stable compared to later attempts.
    I think there were update links on that Vix4 site. Also links to full images. I'm not familiar with Vix, but it should be possible to take a copy of the image in flash form down to a usb stick. I keep forgetting how to do it in Hyperion, I recalled it last April during lockdown when I installed multiboot, so it's on this thread around then. I'll have a look later, some work to do now.

deezell wrote: »
    Is there any reason you want to update, has something stopped working. You'll find a lot of users will say the earlier images are the most stable compared to later attempts.
    I think there were update links on that Vix4 site. Also links to full images. I'm not familiar with Vix, but it should be possible to take a copy of the image in flash form down to a usb stick. I keep forgetting how to do it in Hyperion, I recalled it last April during lockdown when I installed multiboot, so it's on this thread around then. I'll have a look later, some work to do now.

Its working ok, but there's a few niggles. Notably, I can't tab between All Channels/Entertainment/Movies etc? Also finding it hard to locate the HD versions of RTE 1 and 2.

But mostly I just felt it was 5 years old and had probably been improved since then. Of course the corollary to that is that the hardware is also 5 years old so I don't want to install something that will struggle on older hardware.

So looking back through the thread it looks like my build is ancient. Should I do a complete reinstall with OpenATV 6.3? Does that include Enigma2? Or should I be looking at Pure?

Just to clarify, this is only for Saorview and Free to Air Satellite, with a combined EPG and recording/timeshifting. I don't need IPTV. I just want a clean and fairly speedy Sky style Menu thats navigable by a basic remote.

Any advice appreciated. The box is a SAB triple tuner combo.

Its working ok, but there's a few niggles. Notably, I can't tab between All Channels/Entertainment/Movies etc? Also finding it hard to locate the HD versions of RTE 1 and 2.

But mostly I just felt it was 5 years old and had probably been improved since then. Of course the corollary to that is that the hardware is also 5 years old so I don't want to install something that will struggle on older hardware.

if its nothing to bad id leave it off as its a lot off hassle

Nowso wrote: »
    if its nothing to bad id leave it off as its a lot off hassle

I should have waited for your reply. :)

About 3 hrs into an install of wooshbuild... seems to be hung on the plugins install but I'm leaving it run as the box is still responding!

I should have waited for your reply. :)

About 3 hrs into an install of wooshbuild... seems to be hung on the plugins install but I'm leaving it run as the box is still responding!

the plugins install faster of you have an ext 3 formatted usb /hard drive connected

if woosh build stalls reboot and go through it again with a hd . usb connected

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

No man can't, that 60 second delay between real life & IPTV makes all the difference!

Nearly there!

ATV 6.3 Installed
    Wooshbuild Installed
    FTA Satellite tuned

Now I just need to get Saorview working. No matter what I try, it finds no channels. I plugged the cable directly into the TV just to check and the Channels are tuning on the TV antenna, but not on the Aline box, so its obviously an issue with my Tuner config.

Can anyone tell me the correct settings? I'm pointing to Maghera, so should be channels 46 and 48 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

JazzyJ wrote: »
    I'm also encountering this on all OpenATV 6.2+ builds, along with some of the Pure2 and Wooshbuild, but haven't been able to resolve it. 6.1 works fine.

Anyone any ideas, or can recall if this is resolvable through some configuration changes?

I've attempted a lot of different configurations. The DVB-T tuner just doesn't find any of the channels. The satellite tuners work fine.
    Nearly there!

ATV 6.3 Installed
    Wooshbuild Installed
    FTA Satellite tuned

Now I just need to get Saorview working. No matter what I try, it finds no channels. I plugged the cable directly into the TV just to check and the Channels are tuning on the TV antenna, but not on the Aline box, so its obviously an issue with my Tuner config.

Can anyone tell me the correct settings? I'm pointing to Maghera, so should be channels 46 and 48 I think.

Myself and a few others have this issue too. I gave up on 6.2/3 and just use 6.1.

Dammit! Back to the drawing board! Thanks!

• Advertisement

Dammit! Back to the drawing board! Thanks!

on my amiko alien 2 it tunes them in fine on autobouqetsmaker may have to research but does work

if ur stuck in meantime boot into spark for rte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I had the exact same issue a few months back. In the end I just settled to watch Saorview thru' the TV instead. I think my issue maybe aerial misalignment as I need to power off the Alien to get RTE1. I also use combiners/splitters to distribute Saorview and satellite signals. If I leave the Alien box on and try to watch RTE1 via TV connection, RTE1 reception is either blank or jumpy. Once I put the Alien in standby RTE1 is crystal clear.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I had the exact same issue a few months back. In the end I just settled to watch Saorview thru' the TV instead. I think my issue maybe aerial misalignment as I need to power off the Alien to get RTE1. I also use combiners/splitters to distribute Saorview and satellite signals. If I leave the Alien box on and try to watch RTE1 via TV connection, RTE1 reception is either blank or jumpy. Once I put the Alien in standby RTE1 is crystal clear.
    You'll need ensure teresstrial tuner us set for 8Mhz channel bandwidth to scan saorview, make sure it's not set for cable tv. Also make sure antenna power is turned off, otherwise the tuner module might be short of power on its terrestrial feed through amplifier and not able to send the signals through to the TV, until you go into standby.

Wow. Must be on my 10th reinstall at this stage. Either it glitches on the install or the wooshbuild setup, or the USB key isn't read or the channels don't install. Fun times!

Wow. Must be on my 10th reinstall at this stage. Either it glitches on the install or the wooshbuild setup, or the USB key isn't read or the channels don't install. Fun times!

As I said, you need plenty of time on ypur hands!

Finally! All done.

For future reference. Here's some of the things I tried and my solutions.

1. Use OpenATV 6.1 - 6.3 refused to tune in any Saorview Channels
    2. Don't install Wooshbuild immediately. Go through the basic setup of OpenATV until you can initialise your USB
    3. Once USB is initialised, run Wooshbuild. Didn't pick up Saorview for me.
    4. When installing SkyWB skin it may hang. Wait till there's no activity for a while and then reboot.
    5. Once everything is running, go into Plugins/Autobouquetsmaker and UPDATE PROVIDERS - This was very important for me as Maghera has changed channels so even though they would tune in, AutobouquetsMaker was looking for them in the wrong place and would fail
    6. Rename the bouquets for Saorview in OpenWebIf as they are by default All Channels and HD Channels, which are duplicated in SAT

Hope thats of help to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I’m finally bowing out of the enigma 2 world after 6 years of fun, the amount of cables and stuff just dosnt make sense anymore compared to a firestick stuck into the back of the TV! Anyhow thanks for all the help and patience over the years going right back to the card sharing days. Man how times have changed. My Sab triple tuner is still working perfectly and is sitting there if anyone wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I’m finally bowing out of the enigma 2 world after 6 years of fun, the amount of cables and stuff just dosnt make sense anymore compared to a firestick stuck into the back of the TV! Anyhow thanks for all the help and patience over the years going right back to the card sharing days. Man how times have changed. My Sab triple tuner is still working perfectly and is sitting there if anyone wants it

They seem like the good old days. Trying to setup boxes with little or no pc skills, crap internet to add to the problems. But the images got better and thanks to boards and sattvhelp got there in the end. Still have my triplex for freeview channels and motor dish, some channels still work on the European sharing but rarely watch it! I occasionally check out forum just to see if anything going on but like you say times have changed.

still good to have and good to record stuff on here and there aswell

• Advertisement
Advertisement