Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toaiseach intervenes in Brooks debacle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The reason it's a political hotbed and Kenny has gotten involved are simple, there were over 300,000 potential voters that care a lot about this issue.

The reason Kenny and co don't give much attention to homeless, job bridge, priory hall etc issues are because the electorate doesn't really care about them.

If 300,000 people lived in priory hall and it cost the exchequer nothing to fix the problem, it would have the highest priority.
    The cost to fix this problem is huge. Indeed fixing this whole problem is akin to letting priory hall happen all over again. (Pissing all over the planning laws)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

This fiasco could bring down the government :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

It's fucking embarrassing that the White House even commented on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Appalling to think that the reputation of the country as a state where the rule of law is upheld and the lessons of the past have been absorbed and applied now rests on the shoulders of one civil servant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Show me an article from another newspaper that doesn't either directly quote the Indo story or other 'reports'.
    What has the Garda pres office said about it? Can you point to a source there that says a 'major investigation' is underway?

If the Indo is making stuff up, invariably the sentence will begin with 'Sources say....'

On here we ask people to name or link to the 'Sources' for their claims otherwise you get get called on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Well done to Kenny and the rest of the pointless, spineless individuals who 'run' this Banana Republic.

We well and truly are the laughing stock of the world right now.

A simple planning matter, in which DCC are entirely correct, is now a worldwide story.

I'm ashamed and embarrassed to be Irish right now. DISGUSTING populist politicians hopping on a pathetic bandwagon and making a show of us all.

Ireland, get a grip FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Read the second part of my sig.

Those lads were not thinking about Gareth Brooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Could Garth Brooks bring down the government?

this is hilarious stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

I wish people would stop worrying about this "affecting our reputation abroad".
    They dont give a sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The concert not happening had no effect. I'd be worried that the taosieach pandering to a musician would affect it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I have years of experience of the Indo making stuff up. I am instantly on guard when no other newspaper runs with it or reports on it themselves. It's a dead giveaway.
    If you want to slur somebody's charather which headline would you chose here,

Resident was 'paid €15,000 to help his court case'

Resident recieved €15,000 towards his court expenses

both technically correct but one is designed to give the story a sinister slant.

Appalling paper
    No, not everything, but I have learned that there are ways of spotting their tripe as I have outlined.
    Thankfully most people know bull when they read it.

Here is a direct quote from the article.

"Mr Duff said he sought the money on Sunday while he was at a hurling match in Dublin. He refused to say who paid him but claimed it was people north and south of the border."

Maybe Mr. Duff can sue the Indo if the article is untrue (seeing as he has the money for a court case).

The concert not happening had no effect. I'd be worried that the taosieach pandering to a musician would affect it though.

Pandering to outsiders is what Kenny does best.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Our Taoiseach should be too busy to even think about this issue. Access to those who make the decisions should not be given lightly for pathetic reasons. What the hell are our politicians being paid for ? Every free working moment of Kennys should be spent trying to untangle more pressing issues. Its not like there is a lack of issues in this country or a lack of opportunities to learn more about issues...

And the Brooks concert cancellation is not a loss for the economy at all. If the concerts go ahead the money would just go to Brooks' bank account abroad and to the foreign holidays of a host of vested interests. it is not a sustainable investment in the economy but instead represents leakage of money out of the economy due to the cost of gas travelling there etc. I wouldn't be concerned about this. Life will continue to be sustained around Croker by other more reliable events, not some shyte cuntry singer who blows in after a few decades.

Show me an article from another newspaper that doesn't either directly quote the Indo story or other 'reports'.
    What has the Garda pres office said about it? Can you point to a source there that says a 'major investigation' is underway?

If the Indo is making stuff up, invariably the sentence will begin with 'Sources say....'

On here we ask people to name or link to the 'Sources' for their claims otherwise you get get called on it.

http://southdublin.today.ie/2014/07/09/entertainment-garth-brooks-petition-forged/

contains a rte tweet.

It was also in the Daily Mail today who were stopped from examining the public files when they went to Dublin City Council.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0710/629717-garth-brooks/

Ciaran Cuffe just confirms gardai asked him to confirm his objection.

Maybe you would correct yourself now?

Kensington wrote: »
    Define "wider interests"..

That is an easy one. The wider public interest for economic development, environmental protection, public infrastructure and social amenities beyond the narrow interests of those directly affected by the proposal.

This public interest is too frequently ignored in Ireland.

As going by your logic, should a small group of midlands people hold the ESB to ransom over erecting pylons? .

No, the pylon project should go ahead. Ludicrously, many of those objecting do so on the basis that the pylons will pass too near their houses but also the pylons are detrimental to the visual amenity for tourism purposes!!! The answer is either

(1) They are talking rubbish
    (2) Their houses are also detrimental to the visual amenity (unless they are centuries old cottages) and should therefore be demolished.

Or Airtricity for erecting windfarms?.

Again, people claim detrimental environmental effects from the windfarms - noise, visual etc. yet the continuing detrimental effects from burning coal are far higher.

After all, a stable and efficient electricity supply which is built and upgraded at the best value for money is in the "wider interest" of Ireland is it not?.

Yes

I think a major international airport is in the "wider interests" of tourism in Ireland, let's go slap an airport in the midlands, land is cheap, it's in the centre of the island to every Irish city so the tourists are only at most two hours from any extremity on the island and sure there's loads of rolling green fields. What's it if a few people in the countryside get upset? It's in "the wider interest" you see....

Just because you think an airport in the midlands is a good idea doesn't mean anyone else does.

There are already too many airports in Ireland. The only possible expansions that make any economic sense are

(1) another runway at Dublin Airport to make full use of the new overly expensive terminal
    (2) Baldonnel as a second airport for Dublin

But let's not stop there.
    Should a small island nation dictate to the UK what they can and cannot do in their nuclear power stations and waste treatment facilities?.

International law comes into play unfortunately, otherwise you would have a point.

There's a lot more people living in the UK than on the island of Ireland after all? And effective treatment of nuclear waste is in the wider interest of the EU?.

Again, the UK is a sovereign nation, nothing we can do, except through EU environmental law (which we have tried) and ineffectual lobbying (which we have also tried)
    Then, who are we to tell the US Military they can't land their planes or carry or stow arms in or through Shannon airport.
    After all, they'd argue it's in the wider interest of the Western nations?.

We do tell them whether or not they can land in Shannon. We give them full permission. What is your issue on this?

Thankfully, planning law and decision making doesn't work like that. Nor should it ever.

If it worked the way you wanted it to, nothing would ever get done or built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Godge wrote: »
    That is an easy one. The wider public interest for economic development, environmental protection, public infrastructure and social amenities beyond the narrow interests of those directly affected by the proposal.

This public interest is too frequently ignored in Ireland.

No, the pylon project should go ahead. Ludicrously, many of those objecting do so on the basis that the pylons will pass too near their houses but also the pylons are detrimental to the visual amenity for tourism purposes!!! The answer is either

(1) They are talking rubbish
    (2) Their houses are also detrimental to the visual amenity (unless they are centuries old cottages) and should therefore be demolished.

Again, people claim detrimental environmental effects from the windfarms - noise, visual etc. yet the continuing detrimental effects from burning coal are far higher.

Yes

Just because you think an airport in the midlands is a good idea doesn't mean anyone else does.

There are already too many airports in Ireland. The only possible expansions that make any economic sense are

(1) another runway at Dublin Airport to make full use of the new overly expensive terminal
    (2) Baldonnel as a second airport for Dublin

International law comes into play unfortunately, otherwise you would have a point.

Again, the UK is a sovereign nation, nothing we can do, except through EU environmental law (which we have tried) and ineffectual lobbying (which we have also tried)

We do tell them whether or not they can land in Shannon. We give them full permission. What is your issue on this?

If it worked the way you wanted it to, nothing would ever get done or built.
    Wind isn't cleaner than coal ....yet

Here is a direct quote from the article.

"Mr Duff said he sought the money on Sunday while he was at a hurling match in Dublin. He refused to say who paid him but claimed it was people north and south of the border."

Maybe Mr. Duff can sue the Indo if the article is untrue (seeing as he has the money for a court case).

Where does he say 'he was afraid' to name who contributed?

As I say, you got owned by the slant.

• Advertisement

http://southdublin.today.ie/2014/07/09/entertainment-garth-brooks-petition-forged/

contains a rte tweet.

It was also in the Daily Mail today who were stopped from examining the public files when they went to Dublin City Council.

Ciaran Cuffe just confirms gardai asked him to confirm his objection.

Maybe you would correct yourself now?

Today.ie by their own admission just gather news from other sources
    Today.ie is the one stop shop to find all your local news as it happens. We gather stories from a number of different sources

Correct what exactly? That the Indo are as usual exaggerating to suit their own agenda here? I never claimed that their where no forgeries, my objection was to the slanting and bias in the 'reporting' of it.

Today.ie by their own admission just gather news from other sources

Correct what exactly? That the Indo are as usual exaggerating to suit their own agenda here? I never claimed that their where no forgeries, my objection was to the slanting and bias in the 'reporting' of it.

No, you claimed there was no investigation and the Indo were the only source (and by implication were making it up). Ciaran Cuffe, one of those whose signatures was checked by the gardai confirmed the investigation to RTE.

Now, if you don't believe RTE and a former Green Minister, as well as the Indo, then stick to your guns.

See that is your post which is incorrect and which unfairly attacks the Indo.

Where does he say 'he was afraid' to name who contributed?

As I say, you got owned by the slant.

Who said he was afraid to name who contributed.

All that was said was that he refused to name them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

The mediation meeting has been called off thanks god !

Please let this fiasco end now

Now Enda - keep out of it

And Fianna Fail - keep your hilbilly gombeen noses out of it too . Especially you Dooley

Sinn Fein - I hate to agree with you - but you are correct there is a war in Gaza , surely this is of more importance than a fat cowboys concert

Let the fat cowboy play the three dates or not .Its up to him

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

859796542.jpg?1404991876
    Two Guards just took a statement from me to verify my #GarthBrooks objection. I don't know whether to laugh or cry

What a fcking waste of Garda time and resources... :rolleyes:

No, you claimed there was no investigation and the Indo were the only source (and by implication were making it up). Ciaran Cuffe, one of those whose signatures was checked by the gardai confirmed the investigation to RTE.

Now, if you don't believe RTE and a former Green Minister, as well as the Indo, then stick to your guns.

See that is your post which is incorrect and which unfairly attacks the Indo.

I did not say there was no investigation, I merely objected to the sensational reporting of it as if it was a major fraud, there is nothing to suggest that. If you could interpret properly it would stop these threads getting bogged down.
    Can you point to a source there that says a 'major investigation' is underway?
    The story is being exaggerated and sensationalised to suit an agenda, behaviour the Indo have been guilty of for years on behalf of big business

Who said he was afraid to name who contributed.

All that was said was that he refused to name them.

Apologies, I was flitting between 3 threads and it was said on another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

For those inside Ireland and who are able to get refunds the chances are they will spend the money elsewhere, maybe not in Dublin so it is a loss to the Dublin economy but not essentially a loss to the Irish economy.

With regard to the 70,000 I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of those are from Northern Ireland and they tend to bus down to concerts here and bus back straight away so they spend hardly anything.

As for future events once the whole licensing issue is cleared up and promoters do not push events until they have a license then I don't see an issue with future events.

• Advertisement

raymon wrote: »
    The mediation meeting has been called off thanks god !

Please let this fiasco end now

Now Enda - keep out of it

And Fianna Fail - keep your hilbilly gombeen noses out of it too . Especially you Dooley

Sinn Fein - I hate to agree with you - but you are correct there is a war in Gaza , surely this is of more importance than a fat cowboys concert

Let the fat cowboy play the three dates or not .Its up to him

Hopefully they have talked the cowboy down of his high horse and the 3 concerts will go ahead, without destroying the integrity of our laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Kenny should resign. He's embarrassing the country. Any politician worth his or her salt should steer well clear of this national embarrassment. It's not even news worthy abroad aside from Britan where it's just fodder for laughing at the stupid Irish.
    At the end of the day a few concerts were cancelled. If the council relent, breaking rules already in place so the GAA, a 'musician' and promoter can make more piles of money, they should be dissolved.

I agree . This has nothing to do with his weight , hat , or music.

Political interference in planning matters is the issue.

I agree . This has nothing to do with his weight , hat , or music.

Political interference in planning matters is the issue.

NIMBYism in planning matters is the real issue.

• Advertisement

NIMBYism

What would you say the basis for objections in 90% of planning applications is?
    People whose quality of life is affected by a development or event. Give a cutesy wee name if you like but there is nothing unusual about people using their rights to object.
    Would you withdraw everybody's right to object just because there is a profit to be made?

NIMBYism in planning matters is the real issue.

I have no problem with anyone objecting to anything in their back yard

I have a problem with politicians interfering with processes that are none of their business.

This is the root of the issue : FF politician loves GB . Convinces FF to put pressure on Enda.

When-Timmy-met-Garth-702x336.png

Seriously folks, has this country gone stone mad???????

The first 12 minutes on the national broadcaster's main news programme is about this absolute joke of a act and his dealings with DCC.
    It's the main topic in the banana republic's Dail...

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in this place, a joke too far.

Hang your head in shame, Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Tabnabs wrote: »
    859796542.jpg?1404991876

What a fcking waste of Garda time and resources... :rolleyes:

Just an aside, you have to wonder why he'd be objecting. The concerts would have no effect on him, living as he does about 4km from the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

For Reals wrote: »
    Kenny should resign. He's embarrassing the country. Any politician worth his or her salt should steer well clear of this national embarrassment. It's not even news worthy abroad aside from Britan where it's just fodder for laughing at the stupid Irish.
    At the end of the day a few concerts were cancelled. If the council relent, breaking rules already in place so the GAA, a 'musician' and promoter can make more piles of money, they should be dissolved.

Could you imagine if David Cameron were to get involved in something like this? I suspect he'd be asked to take a psychiatric examination. But for some people here this is acceptable behavior for a prime minister.
    I voted for Fine Gael, I've heard a lot of criticisms of them in regards to austerity measures but I have still given them my support, in a 'sure the others are worse' kind of way.

But right now, I'm not actually sure that Enda Kenny knows what his job is, and worse, I'm not sure that a sizable chunk of the people in Ireland know what a prime minister is supposed to do.

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Seriously folks, has this country gone stone mad???????

The first 12 minutes on the national broadcaster's main news programme is about this absolute joke of a act and his dealings with DCC.
    It's the main topic in the banana republic's Dail...

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in this place, a joke too far.

Hang your head in shame, Ireland.

There are few other issues that affect as many people, so it's not surprising it's headline news. While the issues in say Gaza are more serious, we have to be honest and realise that people only care about things that affect them.

It's also summer time when there's a general lull in news content.

Shameful or not I don't know, but it's not surprising

What would you say the basis for objections in 90% of planning applications is?
    People whose quality of life is affected by a development or event. Give a cutesy wee name if you like but there is nothing unusual about people using their rights to object.
    Would you withdraw everybody's right to object just because there is a profit to be made?
    I have no problem with anyone objecting to anything in their back yard

I have a problem with politicians interfering with processes that are none of their business.

Let us get this straight.

I have no problem with people objecting to whatever they like.

What I do have a problem with is the way the planning system (and the political system more generally) listens to those who shout the loudest on issues like this e.g. what is Ciaran Cuffe doing objecting to this? And as a former councillor and T.D., did his views have weight?

You see it time and again with the Children's Hospital, with Luas extensions, with motorway development, with all infrastructural development.

Croke Park has been the national stadium of the GAA for nearly 100 years. Bar a few dozen residents still living in inherited family homes (who could have sold out if they wanted to) the rest of them knew what they were buying into. It is de facto the national stadium and always has been. It should be somewhere where there are 15-20 concerts per year as befits a national stadium. The GAA don't use it enough for the amount of taxpayer's money that went into it. Those are the considerations that Owen Keegan should have brought to his decision but didn't.

So, no, I have no problem with the objectors, I have a problem with the idiotic decisions made by Owen Keegan and his officials and also with the idiotic restrictions put in place by ABP.

eddyc wrote: »
    Could you imagine if David Cameron were to get involved in something like this? I suspect he'd be asked to take a psychiatric examination. But for some people here this is acceptable behavior for a prime minister.
    I voted for Fine Gael, I've heard a lot of criticisms of them in regards to austerity measures but I have still given them my support, in a 'sure the others are worse' kind of way.

But right now, I'm not actually sure that Enda Kenny knows what his job is, and worse, I'm not sure that a sizable chunk of the people in Ireland know what a prime minister is supposed to do.
    Of there was an event that 5% of the UK population was attending and it was cancelled, I'm sure Mr Cameron would take at least a passing interest.

Actually as Cameron is a great man for the PR stunt over anything substantive, I'm sure he would.

What I do have a problem with is the way the planning system (and the political system more generally) listens to those who shout the loudest on issues like this e.g. what is Ciaran Cuffe doing objecting to this? And as a former councillor and T.D., did his views have weight?

You see it time and again with the Children's Hospital, with Luas extensions, with motorway development, with all infrastructural development.

Croke Park has been the national stadium of the GAA for nearly 100 years. Bar a few dozen residents still living in inherited family homes (who could have sold out if they wanted to) the rest of them knew what they were buying into. It is de facto the national stadium and always has been. It should be somewhere where there are 15-20 concerts per year as befits a national stadium. The GAA don't use it enough for the amount of taxpayer's money that went into it. Those are the considerations that Owen Keegan should have brought to his decision but didn't.

So, no, I have no problem with the objectors, I have a problem with the idiotic decisions made by Owen Keegan and his officials and also with the idiotic restrictions put in place by ABP.

I dont really disagree with you here.

But a planning decision has been made and any follow on planning matter is for planners.

Politicians should not get involved in planning matters. Politicians influencing planning matters is how Fianna Fail were able to harvest brown
    envelopes for many years .

Let us not go back

Politicians make laws , other people enact the laws

• Advertisement

Good, so stop attacking their rights to object then, with redtop hysterical terms like 'NIMBYism', you can't pick and chose based on those you agree with. People either have a right to object or they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Good, so stop attacking their rights to object then, with redtop hysterical terms like 'NIMBYism', you can't pick and chose based on those you agree with. People either have a right to object or they don't.

I don't think people have a particular objection to the right to object. Personally I have an issue with the fact that such a small group objected on behalf of so many who did not agree with them. I also have an issue with their claims on the effects of the concert on them. This is a Garth Brooks concert, not exactly the kind of event that attracts crowds of vomiting, urinating yobs. I have an issue with the guy leading the charge not even being from the area. I have an issue with the clearly arbitrary decision of the licence.

I think this is a massive stain on the reputation of both Dublin and Ireland. This was to be a major event to kick of the return tour of a massive name. It would have been a chance to show people how great Ireland can be. You can be sure the streets of Dublin would have been cleaned up for the event. Think ahead to future events. Imagine if Ireland went ahead to bid for hosting the Euros with Scotland? Do you think this farce would not be a big black mark for the bid?

And that's to say nothing of the hit on the economy which goes beyond people spending money in shops in Dublin. This is the kind of boost people need. It is most certainly something the government should be involving themselves in as it effects about 10% of the country as ticket holders alone.

There are few other issues that affect as many people, so it's not surprising it's headline news. While the issues in say Gaza are more serious, we have to be honest and realise that people only care about things that affect them.

It's also summer time when there's a general lull in news content.

Shameful or not I don't know, but it's not surprising

It certainly suits FG to have something else in the news other than their dodgy dealings and state board stuffing that's been going on for the last few weeks as ministers prepare to be shuffled out or moved to lucrative positions in Europe ok.

This place is a joke, bring back the troika.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

If Bertie were still in power he'd have sorted this by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

John_C wrote: »

There'd be no issues having it in the Bertie Bowl

There'd be no issues having it in the Bertie Bowl

To be quite honest I never did understand why the GAA didn't go for a green field site when they had the chance.
    The restrictions and hassle in where they are must be a daily drudge.

In fairness I think Garth's press conference doomed his 'game'. People now know what his 'game' is. His quote...'Just get your law in order and say yes' is all over facebook with a lot of angry 'Please do the proverbia'l comments.

The Lord Mayor had lost the will to fight on Prime Time too.
    I admin two pages and his press conference has brought a whole raft of people out to comment who weren't bothered before. Otherwise known as shooting yourself in the foot.

'Game' is up I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Course it makes a lot of sense for the govt to get all upset over some concerts. This in a country that has thousands of citizens at the end of their rope with financial worries, justice official (gardai, ministerial dept, ) that needs a thorough overhaul, laws attempting to be brought in to gag media. I could go on.

But lets have our taoiseach try to sort out some concerts before he heads off on hols. Job done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

John_C wrote: »

A dig out perhaps. Or he could hide in the cupboard.

Advertisement