Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Has anyone got SaorSat running on an AA2 and if so what settings do I need?

You need another dish, 80 - 110 cm, and the LNB specific to the saorsat satellite. Plug this into your second Dvbs tuner and scan. Align the dish first, obviously, 9.0' East. Kit is 85€ from freetv.ie. the RTE mux is on 20185.00 Mhz, SR 25000, FEC 2/3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Thanks for that Deezell. I have all the kit and had it before on another box. Just needed the settings for the AA2

Thanks for that Deezell. I have all the kit and had it before on another box. Just needed the settings for the AA2

It's a bit of a waste to hog an entire aa2 sat tuner just for a single Mux with 8 channels, do you have an LNB switch to share the tuner between an Astra28.2 feed and the saorsat feed. Have you no saorview signal at all. (in Wicklow?)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

deezell wrote: »
    It's a bit of a waste to hog an entire aa2 sat tuner just for a single Mux with 8 channels, do you have an LNB switch to share the tuner between an Astra28.2 feed and the saorsat feed. Have you no saorview signal at all. (in Wicklow?)

What makes you think he is from Wicklow?.....;

I have the Diseqc switches etc on a multisat setup. It purely for anorak purposes:o. I used to have it before on a different setup but couldn't remember the settings.

• Advertisement

Slevster wrote: »
    What makes you think he is from Wicklow?.....;

Like John West, the clue was in the name? unless thats a real name..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 maedhbh

This is probably very obvious. I just got an amiko alien with enigma loaded and am finding it very complicated. I am trying to mount the hard drive but I can't find the plugin. I looked under all plugins on the box and downloaded plugins but couldn't find it. I thought it was under system plugins but can't see it there. I also looked under the other folders of downloaded plugins but can't find it. Where would I find the had mount manager plugin? Thanks

maedhbh wrote: »
    This is probably very obvious. I just got an amiko alien with enigma loaded and am finding it very complicated. I am trying to mount the hard drive but I can't find the plugin. I looked under all plugins on the box and downloaded plugins but couldn't find it. I thought it was under system plugins but can't see it there. I also looked under the other folders of downloaded plugins but can't find it. Where would I find the had mount manager plugin? Thanks

Which version of enigma is installed, what does it say on the boot up screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

It will be most likely openatv, first job is to get rid of that I think most would advise

Most likely, but a bit early to ask someone to start changing images maybe, get the hang of enigma first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

More FEC changes today so satellites.xml updated again. Unusual this late in the week.

Has this file updated again?

I've lost a few channels today, just trying to establish why.

Where do you find out if there has been updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ivegotafeeling

Would this affect the EPG missing the Channel 4s family program listings?

Imstuck wrote: »
    It will be most likely openatv, first job is to get rid of that I think most would advise

I think it is, I got it from free tv. I am way out of my depth and at the moment just want to be able to do basics. Is the plugin not available with this version,?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

You should format the hard drive to ext3 in spark, personally, I have never needed to mount it, it has always done it automatically.
    Do you think you would be able to flash an image? Guidelines are available on first page of this thread. Most people on here are using Hyperion 4 or 4.5 at the minute.
    Do you know how to boot into spark from enigma and vice versa?

Imstuck wrote: »
    You should format the hard drive to ext3 in spark, personally, I have never needed to mount it, it has always done it automatically.
    Do you think you would be able to flash an image? Guidelines are available on first page of this thread. Most people on here are using Hyperion 4 or 4.5 at the minute.
    Do you know how to boot into spark from enigma and vice versa?

Thanks for repluy. I don't know how to do anything on box. It was recommended to me but is too complicated! I'm just following video s on free tv. How would I know if it is already mounted for recording?

Showcase, info tv and a few others moved TP. There should be no need to change the xml file just do a rescan. The new TP is 11222 H, 27.500, 2/3, DVB-S, QPSK.

EDIT: There seems to be a lot of re-shuffling lately. Possibly it's in preparation for the retirement of Eutelsat 28a in a few weeks, once testing of 2G is finished. It should mean an improvement in signal on the lesser channels.

Showcase, info tv and a few others moved TP. There should be no need to change the xml file just do a rescan. The new TP is 11222 H, 27.500, 2/3, DVB-S, QPSK.

I don't really know what you mean there but I went ahead and downloaded a new xml file this morning and did a scan and it somehow sorted it.

It was a little strange, I still got a 'sid not found in path' message after the scan but flicking to another channel and back to the channel where the message appeared, it was then working fine.

Would this affect the EPG missing the Channel 4s family program listings?

AFAIK the data for CrossEPG wouldn't be affected by a channel changing in the xml.

I think it is, I got it from free tv. I am way out of my depth and at the moment just want to be able to do basics. Is the plugin not available with this version,?

Assuming you're on OpenATV version of Enigma, I think the disk setup is in SETTINGS/SYSTEM/EXTENDED SETTINGS ? I'm working from memory, I'm using Hyperion Enigma now. The disk may already be mounted, you might need to point things like CrossEPG, Record and Timeshift to it, using thier configuration settings. It should be plug and play, plug in the HDD turn box off and on.

Actually, if you got it from Freetv.ie, it would be OpenATV Enigma, but the box also has the SPARK system as well. This is simpler to use in the first instance. Change to Spark by holding the box OK button, switch on the on/off power switch at the back, wait for the word FORC to appear on the front panel, release OK, the press the CH+ (up) button to display the work SPAR on the screen, and the box will boot in Spark. You can change back to Enigma by repeating the process but ending with a press of CH- (down) to display ENIG. I found the learning curve of Enigma so steep that I done the above first, then progressed back to OpenATV Enigma, then replaced that with Hyperion Enigma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

Thanks for repluy. I don't know how to do anything on box. It was recommended to me but is too complicated! I'm just following video s on free tv. How would I know if it is already mounted for recording?

I would stick with Spark if you are only starting out using the box. I had my box for about 6 months before I attempted to download enigma onto it, by that time I had got the hang of where everything was and felt confident enough to try enigma.

EDIT: There seems to be a lot of re-shuffling lately. Possibly it's in preparation for the retirement of Eutelsat 28a in a few weeks, once testing of 2G is finished. It should mean an improvement in signal on the lesser channels.

Does running auto Bouquets once off not update the Channel data? I know its a pain as It puts the sky list on button 1 above your own custom list, but thats easily remedied.
    Also, if you scan TP 11777.00Mkz, V, SR 27500, this contains the entire database of current Astra TP and Channels, and it scans just them rather than doing a blind scan of the entire spectrum. EDIT this also enables 7 day EPG on certain Technomate non linux boxes so I believe
    Some channels have had FECchange from 2/3 to 7/8, which frees up bandwidth but gives those channels less protection against marginal reception. If you dish is off alignment, and you're working with low signal or low quality, expect an increase in glitches

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

I had a look at enigma-tv as you suggested deezell. As you say, streaming from the Alien 2 to anywhere on the net could be demonstrated with just VLC running on a networked PC. But enigma-tv gives you an interface to select and change what you want to stream (channels, recordings, music..) The developer is currently working on a version for Windows 10 that will run on a raspberry pi 2.

I just think the ability to watch channels from your Alien2 on any device from anywhere in the world is really cool. The catch is required upload bandwidth. Alot of people probably don't have enough. I can probably only get about 300kbps from my crappy eircom bband which I don't think is going to be enough.

Cheers,

Flex

I don't really know what you mean there but I went ahead and downloaded a new xml file this morning and did a scan and it somehow sorted it.

It was a little strange, I still got a 'sid not found in path' message after the scan but flicking to another channel and back to the channel where the message appeared, it was then working fine.
    Satellites broadcast a number of different frequencies called transponders (TPs) at the same time. Each transponder has the information for several TV, radio or data channels. Occasionally some of the lesser tv channels move to a different TP for reason best known to themselves. As Deezell says, if you have the autobouquets plugin running it should retune automatically. Likewise anyone with a Sky or FreeSat box should not have to do anything. (one of the main uses of FreeSat).
    Unusually, the satellite owners changed the actual TP settings last week which is why I edited the satellite.xml file. It only contains the list of the TP settings, not the individual TV or radio details.
    The numbers I posted above are the details for the one TP where the missing channels moved to. Some people prefer to just scan the single TP when something changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I had a look at enigma-tv as you suggested deezell. As you say, streaming from the Alien 2 to anywhere on the net could be demonstrated with just VLC running on a networked PC. But enigma-tv gives you an interface to select and change what you want to stream (channels, recordings, music..) The developer is currently working on a version for Windows 10 that will run on a raspberry pi 2.

I just think the ability to watch channels from your Alien2 on any device from anywhere in the world is really cool. The catch is required upload bandwidth. Alot of people probably don't have enough. I can probably only get about 300kbps from my crappy eircom bband which I don't think is going to be enough.

Cheers,

Flex

Right, so where do I get all the details to put into the app to stream the channels?

Cheers,

Flex

300kbs with the right compression can give quite useful pictures. If you've ever watched streamed sports on the likes of HaHasport and others , those streams are often as low as 200Kbs. If you're watching on a small device, say a tablet, then its quite Ok. Thats what the interface does, it handles all the selection of channels, trancoding, interfacing to VLC to do the transcoding etc. I've had little luck with transcoding enigma streams using VLC directly, its Ok for streaming from a file, say a movie or a video clip. Transcode requires a good bit of processing power and memory, hence it could never run directly on an AA2 or similar. The bigger enigma boxes, 8000's and the like have the power to run the transcode in the box directly, allowing outside the home lan viewing over a limited upload without the need to have a PC running. I'm going to try Enigma-TV soon, I'm currently playing with a server called MadSonic, which was primarilly developed for online access to your home music library, but the author recently published the code to add to the interface allowing the transcoding and streaming of enigma streams. I could do with access to an AA2 here in work to try it out, It works fine for fixed files. I'll install it at home when I get a chance. I like it because it draws directly on the commands for transcoding without invoking the VLC shell. It can be installed on Windows, Mac, Unix platforms, if anyone wants to get into it.

TheChevron wrote: »
    Right, so where do I get all the details to put into the app to stream the channels?

Do you mean the Enigma-Tv app and server? I've not used it yet but it works by connecting to a server you install on a PC. the stream goes from the AA2 box to the PC, from there through your router to the app running on whichever platform, an android phone say. So there are three devices to setup. the server on the PC, port forwarding to the Pc from the outside world on your router, and then enter the external IP address of your router into the configuration of the app on your phone. Its all ip addresses and ports mostly. I'll have a go and write it up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Nice one, let me know when you have it up and running.

deezell wrote: »
    Actually, if you got it from Freetv.ie, it would be OpenATV Enigma, but the box also has the SPARK system as well. This is simpler to use in the first instance. Change to Spark by holding the box OK button, switch on the on/off power switch at the back, wait for the word FORC to appear on the front panel, release OK, the press the CH+ (up) button to display the work SPAR on the screen, and the box will boot in Spark. You can change back to Enigma by repeating the process but ending with a press of CH- (down) to display ENIG. I found the learning curve of Enigma so steep that I done the above first, then progressed back to OpenATV Enigma, then replaced that with Hyperion Enigma.

I'll try that later. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

TheChevron wrote: »

The developer has made several video tutorials on how to set up the enigma-tv server and connect to it from client apps on a PC or smartphone.

There are also tutorials on the web such as: How to Use VLC to Stream Outside of My Network
    and a series of articles from How-To Geek explaining how to use VLC to stream media around your home network and how to "forward ports" on your router to stream to the outside world.

If you haven't done so already I highly recommend at least setting up the enigma2 web interface to stream Alien2 channels to your laptop. So handy. What if Ronnie o' Sullivan was on his way to a 147 and you badly needed to go number 2? Problem solved.

Flex

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement