Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

Hi Champ,

Not sure if others had my problem but results weren't good.

On DTT channels I kept getting a black line across the top which had service data in it! Even on RTE you could read satelite info, SNR etc. might have been the settings changes I made after flashing, didn't restore my settings but did my usual tweets - 1080 from 720 etcetera.

I've gone and flashed the latest OpenAtv 5 image (now updating again nightly after brief hiatus) and restored my settings. Have to say it is working really well, without doubt 5 is there stablest version yet. I've had do do a lot of messing to get it to crash. Normally crashing was a bi-weekly event!

Thanks anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thanks lads, I'll probably go for it! Just wondering where's the cheapest place to pick one up? Also hardware wise any issues with component's failing/dodgy tuners etc? Also is there just the one hardware revision of the box as in no Mrk1 or Mrk2?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

The best version of the Alien 2 is the Alien 2+ model which has two satellite tuners and one DVB-T2 terrestrial tuner which can receive all the Saorview channels.

A few people have had hardware issues like tuners, motherboard and display but they seemed few and far between. You're covered by a warranty for 12 months I think and thereafter its like anything else... if you have it on all the time I suppose something will give eventually. I've had it for two years, never gave any hardware trouble.

I don't think anyone is selling it for less than freetv.ie who'll deliver it to you in a few days for €150.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Thanks lads, I'll probably go for it! Just wondering where's the cheapest place to pick one up? Also hardware wise any issues with component's failing/dodgy tuners etc? Also is there just the one hardware revision of the box as in no Mrk1 or Mrk2?

Probably FREETV. IE, Sab triple, 139€ but out of stock at the moment, 146 for the amiko triple. Enigma pre installed a few euro extra, postage included. Also check satworld.ie, tvsatstore.ie, also actual real shops if you prefer to buy over a counter, Google for these. I think all the triples are clones of each other, but I haven't researched it that well. Golden media triple is Android/enigma dual boot, from Sattvhelp.com, but with a DVB-t2 terrestrial tuner, you will need Enigma images with the correct drivers. I can't say for sure if the images here will work on it, but plenty images on the Web. The android image would of course allow a vast choice of apps, but the box memory would limit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Zardoz

deezell wrote: »
    Probably FREETV. IE, Sab triple, 139€ but out of stock at the moment, 146 for the amiko triple. Enigma pre installed a few euro extra, postage included. Also check satworld.ie, tvsatstore.ie, also actual real shops if you prefer to buy over a counter, Google for these. I think all the triples are clones of each other, but I haven't researched it that well. Golden media triple is Android/enigma dual boot, from Sattvhelp.com, but with a DVB-t2 terrestrial tuner, you will need Enigma images with the correct drivers. I can't say for sure if the images here will work on it, but plenty images on the Web. The android image would of course allow a vast choice of apps, but the box memory would limit it.

The Golden Media Triplex is the same receiver as the Alien 2 and the Sab Triple,its not Android.
    You are probably thinking of the Golden Media Hypercube which was pretty much a flop ,due to hardly any support,its dual-boot ANDROID and ENIGMA2.

140 euro is probably the cheapest you will get the Sab triple for at either free.tv or here
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171136350524?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think there are 3 revisions of the receivers now ,the original model which had a DVB-T tuner,then the DVB-T2 model and then the + model.
    The best version of the Alien 2 is the Alien 2+ model which has two satellite tuners and one DVB-T2 terrestrial tuner which can receive all the Saorview channels.

The DVB-T model can receive all the Saorview channels too ,I think its less problematic tuning Saorview channels too and didnt have the front display issues either.

• Advertisement

Zardoz wrote: »
    The Golden Media Triplex is the same receiver as the Alien 2 and the Sab Triple,its not Android.
    You are probably thinking of the Golden Media Hypercube which was pretty much a flop ,due to hardly any support,its dual-boot ANDROID and ENIGMA2.

140 euro is probably the cheapest you will get the Sab triple for at either free.tv or here
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171136350524?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think there are 3 revisions of the receivers now ,the original model which had a DVB-T tuner,then the DVB-T2 model and then the + model.

The DVB-T model can receive all the Saorview channels too ,I think its less problematic tuning Saorview channels too and didnt have the front display issues either.
    DVB-T2 is required for UK terrestrial, not needed here. I suppose the advise then is to avoid the Golden media triple, and chose between aa2 or Sab. The eBay listing above is also freetv.ie, the address is portarlington where freetv has its depot.

deezell wrote: »
    DVB-T2 is required for UK terrestrial, not needed here. I suppose the advise then is to avoid the Golden media triple, and chose between aa2 or Sab. The eBay listing above is also freetv.ie, the address is portarlington where freetv has its depot.

Why would one avoid the Golden Media Triplex,its the same receiver as the other 2
    In fact the Triplex is by far the most popular version sold in Europe.

15/04/2015
    Added code to deal with unlinked bouquets. Thanks Lraizer
    Changed default service details
    Renamed Scan FTA Only and options
    Added ITV Encore HD to suppplement file

27/04/2015
    Some GUI rework
    Renamed some options/values to make then easier to understand
    Re-ordered options too
    Ipk now using all architecture.

Why would one avoid the Golden Media Triplex,its the same receiver as the other 2
    In fact the Triplex is by far the most popular version sold in Europe.

If for no other reason than to avoid confusion over the android version, which is being discounted and sometimes described as 'golden media triple.'
    EDIT sold out here at only 79€ ! http://www.orbitadigital.com/en/descatalogados/797-golden-media-hypercube-hd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

championc wrote: »

P.S. Anyone with any feedback on my OpenATV v5.0

Hi champ
    I'm using the v5 openatv.
    It's a nice quick, snappy image. I've updated Xbmc to kodi and seems to work well.

I've noticed on 2 boxes I've installed it on that the cross epg overnight update seems to hang the box though. I've had to reboot the last couple of days after coming in from work as the box is stuck on about 60% when doing cross epg update..

• Advertisement

In case anyone is interested ,Rats has resumed his brilliant bouquets and picons plugins .
    New plugins are available here
    http://www.satelliteworldz.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

In case anyone is interested ,Rats has resumed his brilliant bouquets and picons plugins .

Never tried those Zardoz, would I just simply 'run' them on my Hyp4 image?
    What effects would take place?

I've used them on my dreambox and they are great if you just use 28deg but there are no settings for other satellites like 13 and 19deg.
    I mostly use vhannibal settings and they actually have an enigma plugin as well that updates from the dreambox rather then using dreambox edit. Not sure if it would work on these boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Imstuck wrote: »

It's a picon updater, run it it pulls down an updated set of picons to the box

It's a picon updater, run it it pulls down an updated set of picons to the box

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

I've used them on my dreambox and they are great if you just use 28deg but there are no settings for other satellites like 13 and 19deg.
    I mostly use vhannibal settings and they actually have an enigma plugin as well that updates from the dreambox rather then using dreambox edit. Not sure if it would work on these boxes.

I've seen that vhannibal plugin but never used it. Might give it a whirl. Anything I need to know about it beforehand , or is it straight forward enough?

Slevster wrote: »
    I've seen that vhannibal plugin but never used it. Might give it a whirl. Anything I need to know about it beforehand , or is it straight forward enough?

It might be a bit picky with the image you use, I got it working on one image (forget the name) but on an openpli image it didn't work, haven't had a chance to try it again as I was trying to install more then one plugin at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Was only messing around with the old plugin the other night, tiding up after the recent changes.And was planning to set up the channel name picons which you posted about a few days back.

Thanks Mass, the plugin was already installed on my image, would I have to load a new plugin from Zardoz link or would the one on my image still work?

Thanks Mass, the plugin was already installed on my image, would I have to load a new plugin from Zardoz link or would the one on my image still work?

You'll have to remove the old plugin and install the new one

• Advertisement

Struggled with the FTP ing some months ago, and been avoiding it, looks like I may have to give it another go! ��
    Where do I put the downloaded plugin exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

15/04/2015
    Added code to deal with unlinked bouquets. Thanks Lraizer
    Changed default service details
    Renamed Scan FTA Only and options
    Added ITV Encore HD to suppplement file

27/04/2015
    Some GUI rework
    Renamed some options/values to make then easier to understand
    Re-ordered options too
    Ipk now using all architecture.

I'm running Hyperion 4.5. Will this update work with 4.5?

Griffinx wrote: »
    I'm running Hyperion 4.5. Will this update work with 4.5?

Yes ,it will

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Could somebody upload these plugins to Dropbox? Can't download unless I have 5 posts

Could somebody upload these plugins to Dropbox? Can't download unless I have 5 posts

Just ftp the files into the corresponding folders

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Thanks a lot Zardoz

I presume that you extract them first from their zip files, then ftp them to the folders on the box matching those in the zip files. There is no rats picon updater on the plugin list on the hyperion image I'm using, ( yours from a month or two ago). Do I need to run the script file that's in the zip. The instructions on Rats site for installation are different, just put the zip in temp and press the blue button and proceed with installing.
    This is a quote from his site -
    "it's very easy to install though so dont worry
    FTP the ipk to tmp folder
    Depending on image used, on your receiver
    Press Blue
    Software Management
    Install Local Extention
    Memory /TMP
    make sure a tick is in the file(s) you want to install
    Green to install
    Some images you may have to get to software management via menu"

Cant help noticing that none of the files are .IPK, which I understand is the format for plugins, so more confusion. Also, contained within the first Zip is a script file, "rat_plugin_update.sh" which installs Rat's bouquets, which I presume will overwrite all the changes I've made to the same bouquets, e.g. 'Entertainment'. Virtually all my channels on Cool EPG have nice picons, I don't want to start updating or installing stuff which might mess up what seems to be OK. Unless i can find a definitive set of instructions for moving from these two zip files to a non eventful install/upgrade, I'll leave well enough alone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hi,

About a month ago, I flashed a clean/core version of Hyperion 4.5 and everything is running much smoother.

Even so, what frustrates me is that 2 weeks ago I went to turn the box on from standby and it wouldn't respond, so I did a hard re-boot, but then the box was in a boot loop for no reason what so ever. I hadn't changed any configuration, hadn't installed any more plugins. How can this happen so regularly?

I re-flashed again and now I regularly have to do a hard re-boot every few days as when I leave it on standby it tends to lock up again.

Even though the box itself is good, Enigma is not stable enough for wide use. I couldn't recommend any non-techy person to buy one and use enigma as it takes far too much of my time to babysit it. Some of the error handling in the plugins is horrendous, e.g. green screen because a png file cannot be located etc.

Every day I go to turn it on, it's fingers crossed that it responds. It's not as if I have much installed and running on it. Since my earlier experiences I just use it 100% as a TV box. I do not try and run any IPTV, Plex, DLNA etc.

The only thing I can point to is crossepg. It is the only thing that runs when the box is in standby that could be causing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

I don't ever put mine in to standby. Not ideal I know.

Flex

• Advertisement

techdiver wrote: »
    Hi,

About a month ago, I flashed a clean/core version of Hyperion 4.5 and everything is running much smoother.

Even so, what frustrates me is that 2 weeks ago I went to turn the box on from standby and it wouldn't respond, so I did a hard re-boot, but then the box was in a boot loop for no reason what so ever. I hadn't changed any configuration, hadn't installed any more plugins. How can this happen so regularly?

I re-flashed again and now I regularly have to do a hard re-boot every few days as when I leave it on standby it tends to lock up again.

Even though the box itself is good, Enigma is not stable enough for wide use. I couldn't recommend any non-techy person to buy one and use enigma as it takes far too much of my time to babysit it. Some of the error handling in the plugins is horrendous, e.g. green screen because a png file cannot be located etc.

Every day I go to turn it on, it's fingers crossed that it responds. It's not as if I have much installed and running on it. Since my earlier experiences I just use it 100% as a TV box. I do not try and run any IPTV, Plex, DLNA etc.

The only thing I can point to is crossepg. It is the only thing that runs when the box is in standby that could be causing issues.

My Intuition tells me that something is amiss with writing to your HDD. I'm no unix expert, but it appears to me from my cross/HDD problems that the box is scripted to refer 'HDD' to the box memory when there is no or problematic HDD connection. Cross will quickly fill this, and if the box is in standby when cross updates the EPG, perhaps not leave enough memory for soft reboot. My installation pointed cross to the HDD, yet was not using the actual disk for storage until I unmounted and re-mounted the exact correct partiton of the disk, which then became 'HDD'
    What happens if you don't use standby? (I don't). Will the box work away for days on end without problems. Change the cross upload time for a time when the box is live maybe, or just turn it off and do a manual update while slouched in front of the telly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement