Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Thanks for everything guys I will deco look into this when I get back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

deezell wrote: »
    If you have the Webif plugin running on your image, then you can control your box from it's web interface. If you've never tried this before, first try the local ip address of your box from a local pc ( get box ip from the box network settings or information). From Webif you can change channel, stream, view EPG, set timers etc. Once you have the hang of WebIf, next task is to make your box and Webif visible from outside your home. For this you need the external Ip address of your router, and you will need to configure port forwarding on your router to transfer outside http:// requests ( port 80) to your router to the internal IP of the box. This done, you can uset webif anywhere.

Would this allow you to stream channels on Webif if you were away from the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

how.gareth wrote: »

Yes, but you'll need a serious upload speed on your Internet connection, 2-4 mbs for SD, up to 9 for HD. Search this thread for previous posts on streaming, transcoding, etc. Also you may need to forward the stream port 8001

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

You would need to a very good and fast up load speed from your provider.
    Transcoding would be your friend here, but the box isnt up to it.
    A few pages back, this was discussed, and a third party app and use of a PC for the transcoding was discussed as the most likely successful way to go about it.
    Do a search on this thread for enigma TV , and you should come across the posts.

Edit - too slow on the posting! see above.

Yes, but you'll need a serious upload speed on your Internet connection, 2-4 mbs for SD, up to 9 for HD. Search this thread for previous posts on streaming, transcoding, etc. Also you may need to forward the stream port 8001

Ha ha - typing at the same time, what are the chances

• Advertisement

Slevster wrote: »
    Ha ha - typing at the same time, what are the chances

Quicker on the draw! If only my upload was as quick. On the subject of the Dreamdroid updates, anyone else find it buggy, or maybe it's my version of Android. I tried the picon sync, never gets past 80%, which is most Picons I need. It keeps throwing up the channel detail info panes I had opened in a session, have to keep pressing back button to go through them.

Quicker on the draw! If only my upload was as quick. On the subject of the Dreamdroid updates, anyone else find it buggy, or maybe it's my version of Android. I tried the picon sync, never gets past 80%, which is most Picons I need. It keeps throwing up the channel detail info panes I had opened in a session, have to keep pressing back button to go through them.

Haven't tried the picon sync yet. (Will do now, just to see, and report back shortly) . but haven't found it buggy. The "version more" bar at the bottom is a bit odd/annoying (pressing on the more , and then OK clears it, but seems pointless) . still no pause button ( but have altered my keymap to set the play button to pause live stream)

Update- just synced the picons (ensured that the remote location was set to the correct path, then synced. (Named picon option untucked) . I use an older picon set with approx 1600 picons, which I have built up over the while. Took about 1 min to complete) picons are now next to channels in the lists (running a custom rom of 5.1.1 btw )

Screenshot working , takes a little time to come through

I should have added that for watching programmes abroad, the low upload speed can be got around, sort of, by recording rather than streaming. You can then go into the movies tab and download the recording, and start viewing it when you have it downloaded, or even before it is fully downloaded. It could take a long time to download, a half hour soap might take 2-3 hours if your upload speed is only 500 kbs.

Cheers for the replies lads, I saw the previous posts about streaming and the like but didn't really understand the terminology, was mainly thinking if I was in a mates house with decent wifi could I stream a channel on his computer for example?

Short answer, yes, but it's the wifi back at at yours pushing out the stream that's the issue. Upload speeds are often only one tenth of download speeds. if you have fast 50 mbs Internet, your upload is probably good enough for SD. Your mate's download only needs to be basic Internet of about 5-7 mbs to download a good SD stream, and a possibly Hd. If upload at home is only a half mbs, you can't push out even SD unless you transcode it down to below this speed, with resultant loss in picture quality and resolution. To get your box to stream beyond the border of your router, you have to get into port forwarding, though some routers will connect to the box from outside if it's the only device with an open http:// port. They will perform automatic port translation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BopperSnr

Need some help. I am looking for the best enigma 2 image for this box. seems the firmware thread is closed down. Anyone have a link to a stable image that is recommended please? Ideally set up for Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

BopperSnr wrote: »
    Need some help. I am looking for the best enigma 2 image for this box. seems the firmware thread is closed down. Anyone have a link to a stable image that is recommended please? Ideally set up for Dublin area.

Try Zardoz hyperion 4.5 image.It had everything I needed. Very stable.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94610978

Third post down. You may need to rescan for terrestrial channels.

Short answer, yes, but it's the wifi back at at yours pushing out the stream that's the issue. Upload speeds are often only one tenth of download speeds. if you have fast 50 mbs Internet, your upload is probably good enough for SD. Your mate's download only needs to be basic Internet of about 5-7 mbs to download a good SD stream, and a possibly Hd. If upload at home is only a half mbs, you can't push out even SD unless you transcode it down to below this speed, with resultant loss in picture quality and resolution. To get your box to stream beyond the border of your router, you have to get into port forwarding, though some routers will connect to the box from outside if it's the only device with an open http:// port. They will perform automatic port translation.

Cheers deezell I will see what upload speed I have and try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marko_eire

Hi lads,

A bit of a wayward question from the above discussion... i've recently bought a SAB unix triple tuner and looking to get access to the root folder. I'm using DCC which i have used in the past for such access but it keeps failing on a socket error 10057 i can access the unit web page which is also very basic compared to the amiko alien (not sure if this is just the image) i'm using the default user name and pswrds
    of

root root
    root HDMU
    root dreambox

any ideas ? is it a router issue?

thanks !

marko_eire wrote: »
    Hi lads,

A bit of a wayward question from the above discussion... i've recently bought a SAB unix triple tuner and looking to get access to the root folder. I'm using DCC which i have used in the past for such access but it keeps failing on a socket error 10057 i can access the unit web page which is also very basic compared to the amiko alien (not sure if this is just the image) i'm using the default user name and pswrds
    of

root root
    root HDMU
    root dreambox

any ideas ? is it a router issue?

thanks !
    Is this a brand new box? Is it booting into Spark, or have you another Image. A new Sab would arrive with Spark as the default, unless you specified an additional Enigmas OS. Depending on who supplied it, this could be Open ATV, HDMU or other. The box might still initially boot in Spark unless you or the supplier changed it. If it is booting in spark and is a new box, the default password is usually blank. DCC would connect without a password, and you would then set it using telenet. If you installed your own enigma image, the password may be already set depending on the image source. If you can see a web page from the box, then you at least have a network connection from PC to Box, so its just a question of getting the DCC configured with the correct IP, and then the username and password. username is invariably 'root', but password, if set, can be 'root' 'dreambox', 'enigma', 'pkteam', 'alien' there are probably others. If the password is set and you don't know it, there is plugin browser/editor (tuxbox commander) which allows you to navigate the box file structure using the remote, and from there you can edit the password encrypted string to return the password to the blank default, allowing you to connect with DCC and set it.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Is this a brand new box? Is it booting into Spark, or have you another Image. A new Sab would arrive with Spark as the default, unless you specified an additional Enigmas OS. Depending on who supplied it, this could be Open ATV, HDMU or other. The box might still initially boot in Spark unless you or the supplier changed it. If it is booting in spark and is a new box, the default password is usually blank. DCC would connect without a password, and you would then set it using telenet. If you installed your own enigma image, the password may be already set depending on the image source. If you can see a web page from the box, then you at least have a network connection from PC to Box, so its just a question of getting the DCC configured with the correct IP, and then the username and password. username is invariably 'root', but password, if set, can be 'root' 'dreambox', 'enigma', 'pkteam', 'alien' there are probably others. If the password is set and you don't know it, there is plugin browser/editor which allows you to navigate the box file structure using the remote, and from there you can edit the password encrypted string to return the password to the blank default, allowing you to connect with DCC and set it.

To add to the above.
    1. Make sure you are using the latest version of DCC. There are a lot of buggy earlier versions floating around the web.
    2. You didn't say if you are accessing via LAN or externally. Try and access using Putty to see if you can login that way and so isolate where the problem might lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

So I've taken the plunge and got myself an Amiko Alien 2.

It came pre-flashed with Enigma2, think its version 4.2.

Reading through this thread it looks like I can use something like Rats bouquets for getting a full channel list and adding picons?

I have Cool TV Guide. Is this the best solution for EPG?

On top of this I've enabled the AutoTimer plugin. Do I need to do anything special to have timeshift functionality.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting or suggested plugins?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

have updated my amiko alien 2+ to zaps inspirion 4.5 image. Rescanned the dvb t tuner and found the channels I also used the boutique in the setup menu.

Rte still isn't working on the number listing but it is in the saorview folder on channel 2188 - 2196. I also have a rake of channels I dont have access to like sky living can I get rid of them or at least hide from the channel list.

So how do I set it up properly?

Sorry complete newbie any help much appreciated.

mjquinno wrote: »
    have updated my amiko alien 2+ to zaps inspirion 4.5 image. Rescanned the dvb t tuner and found the channels I also used the boutique in the setup menu.

Rte still isn't working on the number listing but it is in the saorview folder on channel 2188 - 2196. I also have a rake of channels I dont have access to like sky living can I get rid of them or at least hide from the channel list.

So how do I set it up properly?

Sorry complete newbie any help much appreciated.

Do you mean Zardoz' Hyperion Image? Do you mean 'Bouquet' or the 'AutoBouquets' plugin? Any way, to sort channels into lists, without connecting a PC, just press the OK button for the basic view of the EPG, then use the blue button to select which list (bouquet) you want to scroll through. While in this epg view, press MENU to bring up options to move and delete channels from the list you are in, or add them to another list. This way you can (slowly) build a list of your favourite channels, and by moving that favourite list to the top of all the lists, you wil get the remote number buttons 1,2, etc to correspond to the channels in that list. Running AutoBouquets will replace the top list with a Sky type list of channels from the satellite, but will not include the terrestrial ones so you will have to edit to put these into one of your lists. When you run a scan of the terrestrial tuner ( or a sat tuner), the channels found are put in a list know as "Last Scanned", which is at the bottom of all the lists. You have to move them from here to whichever list you want them in, and delete the entries out of that list you don't want. It's tedious but possible using the remote, much easier to connect by a PC using the DreamBoxEdit software discussed elsewhere in this forum.

So I've taken the plunge and got myself an Amiko Alien 2.

It came pre-flashed with Enigma2, think its version 4.2.

Reading through this thread it looks like I can use something like Rats bouquets for getting a full channel list and adding picons?

I have Cool TV Guide. Is this the best solution for EPG?

On top of this I've enabled the AutoTimer plugin. Do I need to do anything special to have timeshift functionality.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting or suggested plugins?

Thanks.
    Cool is best for viewing a days programs over a list of channels. The basic EPG ( press OK) is handier for a quick look at whats on, changing bouquet, and can be used to edit the channel lists, so both have their uses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

guys quick question is anybody having trouble downloading a movie from tsmedia.mine wont download at all.starts to download then disappears.was working fine before.using the latest 9.6

guys quick question is anybody having trouble downloading a movie from tsmedia.mine wont download at all.starts to download then disappears.was working fine before.using the latest 9.6
    I never use this, but as no one has replied to you, could I suggest you test you hdd and connection. Is the disk full, run a check on it. Test record from a tuner. Is there a disk path setting in the plugin? Check this.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

There were a few of us having problems with large amounts of network data being used by the machine, I think I have found the problem.

It is the Transmission plugin, even if you "stop" it or pause all the torrents there is a huge data flow (in and out) from it.
    After you download a torrent, you need to reboot the machine and not start the plugin to stop the data usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭techdiver

I'm really at my wits end with enigma at this stage.

I regularly have to re-flash my box, almost daily due to lock-ups and then corruption of some sort.

I have a 1TB external hard drive attached reformat with the ext3 fie system.

I just installed the Hyperion v4.5 base image and only added oscam, autobouquets, cool tv guide and crossepg.

For example yesterday after a hard re-boot it got stuck in a boot loop, so it had to be reflashed. Then yesterday evening I tried to open the Cool TV Guide and the box locked up and after a hard re-boot the entire image was corrupted, as in the menus etc would not open (except for some random icons on the screen).

Another thing I noticed is after each hard re-boot the crossepg folder has a modified date of 01/01/2000 and is sometimes corrupted.

I have created a task to delete the crossepg folder and epg.dat file on a nightly basis. I'm not holding out much hope for that helping either.

It's just so frustrating that enigma2 is so fragile that the slightest error in an application can cause either a lock-up or green screen and then often lead to the box becoming unusable until it is reflashed!

Is there any alternative to enigma2 that can give similar functionality (channel list, oscam, 7 day epg, etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

I have not experienced anything like this. It sounds very frustrating

You probably should try SPARK - see the other thread here :http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057246284
    People who have stability problems generally report more success with it.

bappelbe wrote: »
    I have not experienced anything like this. It sounds very frustrating

You probably should try SPARK - see the other thread here :http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057246284
    People who have stability problems generally report more success with it.

I believe that spark lacks the extra functionality that enigma2 has? Such as 7 day epg etc? Or am I mistaken?

Edit: I've just read that you can install crossepg on Spark. I'll look into that.

techdiver wrote: »
    I believe that spark lacks the extra functionality that enigma2 has? Such as 7 day epg etc? Or am I mistaken?

Edit: I've just read that you can install crossepg on Spark. I'll look into that.

There is 7 day epg available on spark.

But your problems with the enigma images sounds very odd. I know from your previous posts, that you have tried different solutions, and that you do know what you're doing (as much as the rest of us do, bar the few very well qualified folks on here). Wonder is it some hardware, or signal issue with your set up?
    Would be interesting if someone could do a box exchange with you. What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Slevster wrote: »

But your problems with the enigma images sounds very odd. I know from your previous posts, that you have tried different solutions, and that you do know what you're doing (as much as the rest of us do, bar the few very well qualified folks on here). Wonder is it some hardware, or signal issue with your set up?

Sounds like a hardware issue allright ,perhaps faulty Ram ,Hyperion 4.5 is a rock solid image ,you shouldn't be having much issues with it .

Have you tried using a different hard drive Techdiver ,maybe a usb flash drive ?
    Is the one you use usb powered or mains powered ,perhaps its not getting enough power ?

What skin are you using now ,you were using the PKT Silver before .

I'd say try Spark and see if thats unstable too.
    If it is I'd look for a replacement unit from where you bought it .
    Would be interesting if someone could do a box exchange with you. What part of the country are you in?
    Thats not a bad idea at all ,I was thinking the same thing myself

I'm going to give spark a go when I get time to set it up.

What leads me to think the issue is not with the box is the way the lockups and crashes happen.

It could be the hard drive. It's a USB powered one, so perhaps that could be an issue too.

One of the latest issues is when on some hd channels and I try and bring up the audio option for that channel using the yellow button, the box will hang. Sometimes a hard reboot resolves it but other times it corrupts the image.

I'll soldier on with a few different test setups. It's frustrating as I work as a software developer and the last thing I want to be doing when I get home is troubleshooting these issues LOL! :-)

• Advertisement

techdiver wrote: »
    I'm going to give spark a go when I get time to set it up.

What leads me to think the issue is not with the box is the way the lockups and crashes happen.

It could be the hard drive. It's a USB powered one, so perhaps that could be an issue too.

One of the latest issues is when on some hd channels and I try and bring up the audio option for that channel using the yellow button, the box will hang. Sometimes a hard reboot resolves it but other times it corrupts the image.

I'll soldier on with a few different test setups. It's frustrating as I work as a software developer and the last thing I want to be doing when I get home is troubleshooting these issues LOL! :-)

I agree with Zardoz on this, sounds like faulty flash memory or ram. This kind of problem will only show when code or data written to the faulty blocks is called, causing failure and crashes. I think these memory ICs are soldered onto the box motherboard, not an easy fix. It is possible to monitor box output in someway during flashing, using a console or telnet I think. This might give an indication of memory write fails. Are there logs also that can be analysed by experts, someone out there might help, I see a good bit of this on other fora, guys posting log listings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement