Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

Lads - feel bit silly asking this one but...

Anyone figured out how to post a comment on Openatv forum?

I've joined but I cannot find post button! Is it just me?

Help appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

openatv_zpso3fsmpn2.jpg:)

Could be that as a new registration you may have to wait till account is verified or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Zardoz wrote: »
    I recall alanhiggy had the same issue a a good while back.
    He'd get a tune failed on certain channels on Hyperion but they worked fine on Openatv.
    Zardoz wrote: »
    I recall alanhiggy had the same issue a a good while back.
    He'd get a tune failed on certain channels on Hyperion but they worked fine on Openatv.

Hmm, can't get the ones that were working back working on Open Atv now.. Very odd altogether..

I'm beginning to think my dish my be slightly out of alignment all of a sudden

Edit: looks like I can only see a few of the channels that have moved to Astra 2g

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

Technofobe wrote: »
    openatv_zpso3fsmpn2.jpg:)

Could be that as a new registration you may have to wait till account is verified or something like that

I registered about 6 months ago so don't think it's that. Anyone here posted on it and could advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

zefer wrote: »
    I think it might be a hardware issue as I've put Hyperion on 2 boxes, 1 works no problem and 1 has this issue. My one is the older version of the gm triplex
    my one sab unix f solo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭deezell

Hmm, can't get the ones that were working back working on Open Atv now.. Very odd altogether..

I'm beginning to think my dish my be slightly out of alignment all of a sudden

Edit: looks like I can only see a few of the channels that have moved to Astra 2g
    I recall previous discussion on this, and mention of the fact that 2g has a different footprint and lower FEC on some channels, which will affect marginal reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Slevster wrote: »
    Does this happen when recording other channels? Or just during normal viewing?
    Is it happening on MUX 1 and MUX 2 channels?( rte 1 and rte 2)
    Happening on SD channels?
    Happen while time shifting /paused TV?
    Have you tried clearing the cache (think there may a cacheflushe plugin with Zardoz's backup. When pixelating, go to the pludin and run. See if that has an immediate effect)
    Check if your signal strength is good.(check to see if you have tuned to the correct tower in your area. You may be between areas and are tuned to the weaker signal)
    Have a look at all your tuned terrestrial channel list and see if there are multiple instances of the channels epg rte 1 x2 (press the OK button to bring up the channel list, then press the red button to enter the "all" channels , then press whatever coloured button to show only the terrestrial channels)

Thanks again for the suggestions. It ended up with the box booting, but no picture was visible, just the audio. It wasn't that the video was misconfigured, because you could see the channel info banner, just not the picture. It also stopped responding to the remote.

I reinstalled Zardoz's latest Hyperion image and it's back to normal (for now!)

Partymack wrote: »
    I registered about 6 months ago so don't think it's that. Anyone here posted on it and could advise?
    When your logged in you dont see the +post new thread blue button like in my post ?

FYI,TV3 HD testing on 11758H, 29500, channel name 3881, but only on SKY hd box I assume. No sign of Hd on terrestrial, rugby world cup looming.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

deezell wrote: »
    FYI,TV3 HD testing on 11758H, 29500, channel name 3881, but only on SKY hd box I assume. No sign of Hd on terrestrial, rugby world cup looming.

TV3 HD is only going to be on Sky & UPC, due to be going live this month
    Can't see anyway it'll be on terrestrial unless RTE Networks change their pricing model..

• Advertisement

TV3 HD is only going to be on Sky & UPC, due to be going live this month
    Can't see anyway it'll be on terrestrial unless RTE Networks change their pricing model..
    Have to say I agree with tv3 on this, they vacated an entire uhf channel capable of carrying multiple digital channels, hd included, but were expected to pay more for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I just recently installed Enigma2 following the 2nd post in this thread. Slowly getting around to installing more features.

Just wondering about adding recording abilities. Do I just plug in an external hard drive or do I need to do something else to get it to work?

I remember having to change one of the tuners while scanning to receive CH4 and E4 etc. Would this mean I'm restricted to watching these if I record another channel?

Wheety wrote: »
    I just recently installed Enigma2 following the 2nd post in this thread. Slowly getting around to installing more features.

Just wondering about adding recording abilities. Do I just plug in an external hard drive or do I need to do something else to get it to work?

I remember having to change one of the tuners while scanning to receive CH4 and E4 etc. Would this mean I'm restricted to watching these if I record another channel?
    For recording you should ideally have 2 feeds connected from the dish to your amiko if you want to watch 1 channel while recording a different channel
    Plug in a usb hard drive formatted as fat32 will work but some recommend ext3
    In the hyperion 4.5 version of enigma2
    go to menu
    blue panel
    mount center
    Mount the drive ( probably show as sda1 or maybe name of the drive )

test by pressing pause and see if the station pauses

if that works ok
    press epg highlight a programme and press green button ( timer)
    select if you want once or weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

Have been running Hyperion 4.5 now for 6 months and its really stable and I'm very happy with it.

One thing Ive noticed recently is that the response on video playback it quite sluggish for pause, rewind ff etc. It could take 2-5 seconds to get a response.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this? I don't remember it being as slow when I initially installed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Griffinx wrote: »
    Have been running Hyperion 4.5 now for 6 months and its really stable and I'm very happy with it.

One thing Ive noticed recently is that the response on video playback it quite sluggish for pause, rewind ff etc. It could take 2-5 seconds to get a response.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this? I don't remember it being as slow when I initially installed it.

Do you restart it often?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Hi again guys

I put in two boxes today in my mothers and uncles house. One was a Triplex like mine and the other an Alien Mini.

The Triplex went in fine but with the Mini alot of the freeview channels aren't tuning in(BBC etc).

I checked it in my house then and the BBCs etc will show up. I went back an reinstalled it in the other house and did a channel scan and when the list repopulated the BBCs and others were greyed out and unavailable for selection. I went in to 'All' then to see if they had been picked up at all but they weren't even on that list, but most of the regional BBCs(Wales,NorthWest etc) had been picked up and were OK to view.

I used the bouquets settings I have and sent them to the box. Why would they be picking up OK with the exact same settings in my house but not picking up at a place a couple of miles away when approx 690 other channels are receiving OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Possibly due to the alignment of the dish at the other house the reception may be "marginal" for channels with certain frequencies. You could check the signal strength on the affected transponders and compare with others whose channels are tuning in fine and if necessary get the dish re-aligned.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

Imstuck wrote: »
    Do you restart it often?

No not very often. Ive tried restarting a few times to see if it helps the response but it doesn't really seem to make a difference.

Possibly due to the alignment of the dish at the other house the reception may be "marginal" for channels with certain frequencies. You could check the signal strength on the affected transponders and compare with others whose channels are tuning in fine and if necessary get the dish re-aligned.

Flex

Hi

I had kind of ruled that out as they had a Sky box with just the freeview and they had been picking up all the channels no problem. I've just come back from a friends house where I've checked it and same thing - didn't pick up free view but others were OK. Picks up 911 channels in my house and it only picked up 690 after an automatic scan at this house ( even though they have a sky subscription also with all channels working OK), seems too much of a coincidence to happen in two houses with no reception problems from before?

I'm wondering something to do with the image but that doesn't explain why its working at my house running the same.Or the fact I'm sending my bouquets and satellite info from a different receiver but I can't imagine how that would be any effect of it because they're both two enigma boxes ?

Flex

Checked there and some transponders aren't picking up so I guess that is it. Is it strange though that the Sky box on freeview beside it with a connection from the exact same dish can pick up channels that the Amiko Mini can't??For instance one of the freeview kids channels TinyPop plays no problem on the Sky box but isn't picked up at all by a scan through Amiko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

deezell wrote: »
    Have to say I agree with tv3 on this, they vacated an entire uhf channel capable of carrying multiple digital channels, hd included, but were expected to pay more for less.

Unfortunately will end up watching ITV HD then for a lot of the matches. Their coverage during the last WC was a bit painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

dav32cs wrote:
    I had kind of ruled that out as they had a Sky box with just the freeview and they had been picking up all the channels no problem. I've just come back from a friends house where I've checked it and same thing - didn't pick up free view but others were OK. Picks up 911 channels in my house and it only picked up 690 after an automatic scan at this house ( even though they have a sky subscription also with all channels working OK), seems too much of a coincidence to happen in two houses with no reception problems from before?

dav32cs wrote:
    I'm wondering something to do with the image but that doesn't explain why its working at my house running the same.Or the fact I'm sending my bouquets and satellite info from a different receiver but I can't imagine how that would be any effect of it because they're both two enigma boxes ?

Why do a re-scan ? You are using the same satellites. Set it up in your house and just bring it to the other and plug it in

dav32cs wrote: »
    Hi again guys

I put in two boxes today in my mothers and uncles house. One was a Triplex like mine and the other an Alien Mini.

The Triplex went in fine but with the Mini alot of the freeview channels aren't tuning in(BBC etc).

I checked it in my house then and the BBCs etc will show up. I went back an reinstalled it in the other house and did a channel scan and when the list repopulated the BBCs and others were greyed out and unavailable for selection. I went in to 'All' then to see if they had been picked up at all but they weren't even on that list, but most of the regional BBCs(Wales,NorthWest etc) had been picked up and were OK to view.

I used the bouquets settings I have and sent them to the box. Why would they be picking up OK with the exact same settings in my house but not picking up at a place a couple of miles away when approx 690 other channels are receiving OK?
    One possibility is a problem switching polarity on the LNB. Check to see if channels of both polaritys are being received, by hitting the info button on a selection of channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Griffinx wrote: »
    No not very often. Ive tried restarting a few times to see if it helps the response but it doesn't really seem to make a difference.

It has worked for me previously, I think it's best to restart every couple of days, also what helped was deleting all EPG.data files from hard drive & everything in crossepg

Slevster wrote: »
    Unfortunately will end up watching ITV HD then for a lot of the matches. Their coverage during the last WC was a bit painful.

I watch all RTE from terrestrial at home, but since setting up a receiver in Europe for family, I've noticed RTE2 HD can be received. Perhaps when TV3 HD goes live it will also be receivable.

Would this hard drive work with the Amiko Alien 2?

Seagate Expansion 500GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black

Everything I found online seems to be a couple of years old. Some people are saying you need a mains powered drive while others are saying usb powered works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Would this hard drive work with the Amiko Alien 2?

Everything I found online seems to be a couple of years old. Some people are saying you need a mains powered drive while others are saying usb powered works fine.

Yes, that will work fine. No need for mains power for a portable HDD.

Cheers. Will be hooking up a temporary Ethernet cable to the box too (will be getting the house wired soon and will get the cables hard-wired). Will try and get the EPG working properly then.

Just finding my feet with this box. Do you know what image was linked in the 2nd post of this thread? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056882713

It's a few years old and I'm just wondering if there is a better/more up to date image? Nearly 300 pages here. It's a lot to look through.

Thanks.

Cheers. Will be hooking up a temporary Ethernet cable to the box too (will be getting the house wired soon and will get the cables hard-wired). Will try and get the EPG working properly then.

Just finding my feet with this box. Do you know what image was linked in the 2nd post of this thread? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056882713

It's a few years old and I'm just wondering if there is a better/more up to date image? Nearly 300 pages here. It's a lot to look through.

Thanks.

That resource is updated frequently, the image for hyperion was updated in may if you look through the Dropbox folders. EDIT In fact the alien 2 zip backup was done only 22 days ago. This is Zardoz backup, very stable, in post #3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Any one got a link to the latest channel list for UK channels, enigma2 not spark,...thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement