Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

dav32cs wrote: »
    Download DreamboxEdit (http://dreamboxedit.com/category/download/), enter your box details and sort your listings out that way. A lot easier.

is there a step by step guide for updating the firmware anywhere

thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Zardoz

is there a step by step guide for updating the firmware anywhere

thanks,

Yes here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91207497&postcount=2

Zardoz wrote: »

thanks, should keep me busy for an hour or two. will take a few days before i get to it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Hi

Looking for some help here. I have been running Open ATV 4.2 on my amiko alien 2. The box stalled this evening when I turned on TV. Turned it off and on but still would not start for me.

Tried to install a fresh image from Open ATV website (the new version is 5.1) but this won't install either. I just have the logo and a spinning blue disk in the corner. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong here?

thanks

Zardoz wrote: »

i have managed to install the new image.

how do i rescan to get rte 1 & 2 on the correct frequency

thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Hi

Looking for some help here. I have been running Open ATV 4.2 on my amiko alien 2. The box stalled this evening when I turned on TV. Turned it off and on but still would not start for me.

Tried to install a fresh image from Open ATV website (the new version is 5.1) but this won't install either. I just have the logo and a spinning blue disk in the corner. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong here?

thanks

Is it stuck on the boot screen for OpenATV?

If so try booting in Spark and I'd just factory reset in that and then flash an image from the firmware thread here and see does it boot in enigma then.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

i have managed to install the new image.

how do i rescan to get rte 1 & 2 on the correct frequency

thanks,

Menu>Setup>Service Searching>Scan

Hi

I have factory reset spark and reinstalled spark plugins for e2 from lavatronics. Just trying Open ATV 5.1 image again but it is stalling on boot-up screen.

I will try champs image and see but I am not hopeful as I tried that already and I had the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Hi

I have factory reset spark and reinstalled spark plugins for e2 from lavatronics. Just trying Open ATV 5.1 image again but it is stalling on boot-up screen.

I will try champs image and see but I am not hopeful as I tried that already and I had the same issue.
    Try the most recent image from zardoz hyperion 4.5 as that works great for most lads on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

dav32cs wrote: »
    Download DreamboxEdit (http://dreamboxedit.com/category/download/), enter your box details and sort your listings out that way. A lot easier.

A word of warning about Dreamedit and Windows 10. I used Dreamedit to back up my channels using Windows 7. I then updated my laptop to Windows 10. I had to re flash the box and restored the channels. However, the channels were completely corrupted. I cant be 100 per cent sure it was the upgrade that corrupted the files but I have used Dreamedit since the upgrade and have had no problems. If anyone has upgraded to Windows 10 I would suggest backing up your channels with the new OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭deezell

got there in the end. had to select a different provider on the menu

now
    1) figure out how to apply Zardozs' update
    2) start deleting channels i dont need

I've just got round to removing/replacing dead channels, (Setanta, Premier etc.) and digging for picons for the working replacements. Though I've been using Dreambox edit from the start for organising channels, I've always found it a pain to have to reload, effectively reboot, the box after I save a change. I've just discovered Bouquet editor at the bottom of the WebIf interface, and I have to say i dont know How this has not been flagged before in this forum. Its so quick and simple. It has the three panes just like DB edit, but changes are instantaneous. You add a channel from the services list to a bouquet, it appears live on the EPG on the box for instant confirmation. If your'e not sure which service to add (there are 4 Sly Sports 1,3,4 in my service list), just bang them all in, check which ones work, which working ones have a picon, delete the rest. no rebooting. You can use the direct epg editor on the TV to move them up and down. No picon? Just use DCC to push all the latest from rats ( http://www.satelliteworldz.co.uk/rats/dwpicons.zip) directly into the usr/local/share/picon folder and instantly the epg will show picons on those channels that are matched. I had no picons on setanta, premier, a load of others, pushing the picons in then adding all variations of these channels into my bouquet showed up which had picons and worked. Delete the piconless ones and my EPG now looks great. Also in the WebIf bouquet editior, you can select services by "28.2 New" which seems to contain all the services which were shifted around recently, making the job very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liverpoolee

Hello lads, haven't been on for ages which is a good thing because everything is working ;-)
    It may have been discussed earlier in this thread but I've just put the vix4sh4 image on the box and I'm finding it very nice indeed. User interface is a copy of the s*y one but it's easy on the eye and very 'house' friendly.
    I was about to get a technomate nano 3 because the box was slowing down a lot. It would hang on the spinner quite often. This image seems a lot more stable.
    Just thought I'd mention it.

Hi

I was using that but could not get it to complete autotimers for me so returned to Open ATV as this provided simple system for weekly timers.

I have been factory reset spark twice now (installing Spark plugins from lavatronics) and looked to reinstall open atv 5.1 but it constantly hangs. Taking 10 minutes to boot up so I leave it. I have never required that amount of time to build an image. I just want this for saorview and fta uk so I don't need bells and whistles.

Has anyone tried this new image and experienced similar problems? I beginning to think there is something wrong with the box as it does not appear to handle e2 images now. Just trying another open atv off this forum and it is not installing so will try zardoz's version and see how it goes!!!

Hi again

I have figured out what my problem is. The external HDD installed in the box was interfering with the installation of the e2 image for some reason. Has anyone ever encountered this before? I imagine I may have to reformat my external hard drive?

Hello lads, haven't been on for ages which is a good thing because everything is working ;-)
    It may have been discussed earlier in this thread but I've just put the vix4sh4 image on the box and I'm finding it very nice indeed. User interface is a copy of the s*y one but it's easy on the eye and very 'house' friendly.
    I was about to get a technomate nano 3 because the box was slowing down a lot. It would hang on the spinner quite often. This image seems a lot more stable.
    Just thought I'd mention it.

Where did you get the image?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nice_day

At the moment I cant watch a satellite channel and record another satellite channel at the same time. Though if recording the satellite channel, I could watch a terrestrial channel. Anyway, can I use a splitter on the the satelite cable so I have two satelite connections going into the Alien 2, and would that then mean I could record 1 satelite channel while watching another?

Splitters haven't been mentioned on this thread once. Is there much to it, or a particular type I should get? And most of all, will there be a loss of signal quality?

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭DopeTech

nice_day wrote: »
    At the moment I cant watch a satellite channel and record another satellite channel at the same time. Though if recording the satellite channel, I could watch a terrestrial channel. Anyway, can I use a splitter on the the satelite cable so I have two satelite connections going into the Alien 2, and would that then mean I could record 1 satelite channel while watching another?

Splitters haven't been mentioned on this thread once. Is there much to it, or a particular type I should get? And most of all, will there be a loss of signal quality?

Thanks for the help.
    You can't use splitters with satellite cable, you'll need to run another cable from your dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭techdiver

FrostyJim wrote: »
    You can't use splitters with satellite cable, you'll need to run another cable from your dish.

Just a note on this, you can actually use a stacker/destacker to combine 2 feeds on one cable if you only have one coax point in the room.

You still need 2 feeds from the dish, but if you have no way of running a second cable to the box this could be a valid alternative. They are "expensive" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

techdiver wrote: »
    Just a note on this, you can actually use a stacker/destacker to combine 2 feeds on one cable if you only have one coax point in the room.

You still need 2 feeds from the dish, but if you have no way of running a second cable to the box this could be a valid alternative. They are "expensive" though.

They are nothing but trouble, lots of times they just don't work, need a short cable run or a very high quality cable. A second cable is always the better option, it just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭techdiver

They are nothing but trouble, lots of times they just don't work, need a short cable run or a very high quality cable. A second cable is always the better option, it just works.

I agree a second cable is the best option, but sometimes that is impossible given the fact that many Irish homes only have a single tv point in each room and without drilling holes in the external wall, there is no way to run a second cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liverpoolee

how.gareth wrote: »
    Where did you get the image?

www.vix4sh4.com/downloads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I don't seem to be able to get the Irish channels on the epg, unless I go to each channel individually. I'm using openATV 4.2
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nice_day

Thanks for the advice regarding splitting cables. I'm hooked up to an external satellite dish/aerial, so running a second cable from the satellite is not an option.

I'll leave it alone - no big deal not having the two satellite feeds.

Lads can we get astra 2g on these boxes with a normal dish setup?

Lads can we get astra 2g on these boxes with a normal dish setup?
    Thanks deezel
    Yes, though some marginal reception areas might be affected. Has anyone else lost BT sport euro Hd? I've got the latest astra 2g frequency tuned, but getting "tune failed", a sure sign of a missing signal.

deezell wrote: »
    Thanks deezel
    Yes, though some marginal reception areas might be affected. Has anyone else lost BT sport euro Hd? I've got the latest astra 2g frequency tuned, but getting "tune failed", a sure sign of a missing signal.

Yeah that's my problem, went to King of sat to check the frequency and noticed the bts are all on astra 2 G since Saturday and can't find 2G in the service scan menu on the box
    EDIT just did a full scan and they are all there. Happy days

Yeah that's my problem, went to King of sat to check the frequency and noticed the bts are all on astra 2 G since Saturday and can't find 2G in the service scan menu on the box
    EDIT just did a full scan and they are all there. Happy days

Mine disappeared, though they were tuned into the correct frequency, had been working. Didn't get them on a single tp scan, bit of a mystery.. Could you hit your info button twice and see what frequency it pulled it in on? I presume you're trying to watch champions league in HD, as it's only SD on Tv3, and their Hd is locked.

deezell wrote: »
    Mine disappeared, though they were tuned into the correct frequency, had been working. Didn't get them on a single tp scan, bit of a mystery.. Could you hit your info button twice and see what frequency it pulled it in on? I presume you're trying to watch champions league in HD, as it's only SD on Tv3, and their Hd is locked.
    It seems to be dvb-s2 11973 v 29500 3/4
    Hope that helps

Hope that helps

I couldn't get them on a single scan either, had to do a full scan

• Advertisement

Hope that helps
    That's the job. Kingofsat and others not up to date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement