Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mrbloop

Hi all,

just switched back to using Freshpots Hyperion image. It's a great image and runs really smoothly - except for one thing.
    When a satellite channel is recording, the other satellite channels just give a black screen. They are not 'greyed out' on the channel list. I can still select them, but nothing shows up.

I thought it might be the tuner config, but I can't see anything wrong with it.
    A = Terrestial
    B = Advanced
    C = B

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭deezell

mrbloop wrote: »
    Hi all,

just switched back to using Freshpots Hyperion image. It's a great image and runs really smoothly - except for one thing.
    When a satellite channel is recording, the other satellite channels just give a black screen. They are not 'greyed out' on the channel list. I can still select them, but nothing shows up.

I thought it might be the tuner config, but I can't see anything wrong with it.
    A = Terrestial
    B = Advanced
    C = B

Any thoughts?
    Do you have two cable feeds from your dish to the box? if so, reverse them and see if tuner B continues to receive. before that though, set tuner B to "simple" and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Hi, Using a Hyperion 4 backup from here for well over a year now. No issues, EPG working, recording working.

Is there any need to upgrade to 4.5?

Is there anything extra or that I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Zardoz

TheChevron wrote: »
    Hi, Using a Hyperion 4 backup from here for well over a year now. No issues, EPG working, recording working.

Is there any need to upgrade to 4.5?

Is there anything extra or that I'm missing?

If its working fine then I would leave it be .
    There isn't much difference between v4 and 4.5 ,if anything v4 seems to use slightly less memory.

Has a screen freeze tonight, took two reboots to recover. Little icon on the VFD said " Full", went off when the box recovered. Anyone know what this represents?

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Do you have two cable feeds from your dish to the box? if so, reverse them and see if tuner B continues to receive. before that though, set tuner B to "simple" and see what happens.

Thanks deezell,
    so I reversed the tuners. I also set both of them to simple and still no joy.
    What I did find out was that it was only my 'other' satellite channels that were going black when a sat channel was being recorded.
    This has worked fine on other images, so I don't think there is a hardware issue.
    It's a pity, because this is an otherwise very responsive and solid image:(

Has a screen freeze tonight, took two reboots to recover. Little icon on the VFD said " Full", went off when the box recovered. Anyone know what this represents?

I've never seen this before, but maybe the internal flash is filling up with recordings or epg data and this is what might have caused the original freeze.:confused:

Thanks deezell,
    What I did find out was that it was only my 'other' satellite channels that were going black when a sat channel was being recorded.
    This has worked fine on other images, so I don't think there is a hardware issue.

By 'Other' do you mean a bouquet named Other. Can you view a different channel. on the same or different bouquet than the recording one? If you press the info button, the bar will show which tuner is being used and if the other tuners are in use. So timer recording from the sat while watching another sat and streaming a terrestrial will show B, C, and A in the infobar, with a record icon next to B.

I've never seen this before, but maybe the internal flash is filling up with recordings or epg data and this is what might have caused the original freeze.:confused:
    I'd been messing around with one channel plugin, it had crashed at one stage, maybe it left the system memory full, cache was high enough when it resumed, less than 11% which jumped to18 after a flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Thanks deezell,

Have you streamed from the AA2 to another device by any chance?

I had an issue a while back where after I streamed to an android tablet using an app, if I tried to record something on the box I wasn't able to watch any other channels at the same time.

I was told that sometimes streaming doesn't release the tuner it was using after you have stopped streaming. A reboot of the box sorted this for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 amd64

Thanks deezell,

In emu CA01 should be disabled

amd64 wrote: »
    In emu CA01 should be disabled
    That did the trick. Thank you very much.:)

That did the trick. Thank you very much.:)

'other', haha, that's a good name for them alright. Funny, I don't suffer that restriction.

'other', haha, that's a good name for them alright. Funny, I don't suffer that restriction.

Hee hee, I was trying to avoid the wrong sort of attention and maybe went a bit too vague ;)

BTW, what with the recent discussion about TV3 Hd being on the sky HD package only, I've just noticed that TV3 sd isn't even proper SD. It's broadcast at a measly 544 X 576, saorview and astra. Same goes for TG4 and 3e. SD channels on astra such as BBC1 are 720 by 576. I know that this has to do with squeezing into the Mux and the pay by bandwidth model for saorview, But it's galling to think that the world cup wont even be in basic DVD quality, while half of the saorview Mux broadcasts test cards. Btw, RTE2 HD is only 1440 X 1080 on saorview, it's 1920 X 1080 on astra. ITV 4 which carries many of the ITV world cup matches is a decent 720 X 576 SD as well, far superior to TV3's terrestrial offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

BTW, what with the recent discussion about TV3 Hd being on the sky HD package only, I've just noticed that TV3 sd isn't even proper SD. It's broadcast at a measly 544 X 576, saorview and astra. Same goes for TG4 and 3e. SD channels on astra such as BBC1 are 720 by 576. I know that this has to do with squeezing into the Mux and the pay by bandwidth model for saorview, But it's galling to think that the world cup wont even be in basic DVD quality, while half of the saorview Mux broadcasts test cards. Btw, RTE2 HD is only 1440 X 1080 on saorview, it's 1920 X 1080 on astra. ITV 4 which carries many of the ITV world cup matches is a decent 720 X 576 SD as well, far superior to TV3's terrestrial offering.

Always wondered why tv3s picture quality was so poor, it's like watching TV in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Zardoz

how.gareth wrote: »
    Always wondered why tv3s picture quality was so poor, it's like watching TV in the 90s

The Alien 2 actually does a good job with low quality SD streams ,believe me it will look much worse on other receivers.

Most people have the settings on their tvs set incorrectly which does SD channels no favours.
    Contrast and brightness are usually too high , Gamma setting is usually too low which highlights every little flaw in a low resolution picture.

Zardoz wrote: »
    The Alien 2 actually does a good job with low quality SD streams ,believe me it will look much worse on other receivers.

Most people have the settings on their tvs set incorrectly which does SD channels no favours.
    Contrast and brightness are usually too high , Gamma setting is usually too low which highlights every little flaw in a low resolution picture.

Yeah true I have messed around with all those kind of settings and the difference is unreal, would really need one setting for HD and one for SD

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liverpoolee

Hello lads, haven't been on for ages which is a good thing because everything is working ;-)
    It may have been discussed earlier in this thread but I've just put the vix4sh4 image on the box and I'm finding it very nice indeed. User interface is a copy of the s*y one but it's easy on the eye and very 'house' friendly.
    I was about to get a technomate nano 3 because the box was slowing down a lot. It would hang on the spinner quite often. This image seems a lot more stable.
    Just thought I'd mention it.
    Shows you what I know.
    Nothing but trouble the last few days. Oscam ymod turning itself off randomly. Constant freezes even on fta channels.
    I've gone back to hyperion image. It's only when you go to something else you realise how good the original image is.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

Got my new alien 2+ setup with hyperion 4.5 and am having two small problems I have had to reboot it once or twice but when the box cane back on the volume was set to zero?? Also I cannot get recordings to stream using either webif or dreamdroid (I can stream channels fine). I get an internal server error when I click on movies any ideas?

• Advertisement

Shows you what I know.
    Nothing but trouble the last few days. Oscam ymod turning itself off randomly. Constant freezes even on fta channels.
    I've gone back to hyperion image. It's only when you go to something else you realise how good the original image is.

Yep stick with zardozs hyperion 4.5. still going strong in my gaf virtually stress free

dominoman wrote: »
    Got my new alien 2+ setup with hyperion 4.5 and am having two small problems I have had to reboot it once or twice but when the box cane back on the volume was set to zero?? Also I cannot get recordings to stream using either webif or dreamdroid (I can stream channels fine). I get an internal server error when I click on movies any ideas?

Have you authentication on in the WebIf plugin settings (username/password required). Are you using the default port 80? Webif streams live Tv on port 8001, this is working for you, but streams from the HDD on the port set in the plugin settings (default 80). When playing recordings from WebIf it will pick up the port used to open the interface (80 if the default), on Dreamdroid you set the connection port for recorded movie streaming in the connection profile, (defaults also 80). You can also set login if required, if you have webif login enabled, then you will need to have recordings streaming login ticked.. I presume it's internal network streaming? Try changing the http port on the WebIf setting, say to 8080, change the http port in dreamdroid to match, see if it changes anything

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Shows you what I know.

Running here since release no problem. You could manually install a different version other than ymod if you thought that it was the issue.

With freezing on FTA channels indicates another problem other than ymod because none of them would need that to run.

Have you authentication on in the WebIf plugin settings (username/password required). Are you using the default port 80? Webif streams live Tv on port 8001, this is working for you, but streams from the HDD on the port set in the plugin settings (default 80). When playing recordings from WebIf it will pick up the port used to open the interface (80 if the default), on Dreamdroid you set the connection port for recorded movie streaming in the connection profile, (defaults also 80). You can also set login if required, if you have webif login enabled, then you will need to have recordings streaming login ticked.. I presume it's internal network streaming? Try changing the http port on the WebIf setting, say to 8080, change the http port in dreamdroid to match, see if it changes anything

Tryed all these changing the port in the plug-in meant I also had to change it in dreamdroid to connect but it still did not work for movies. Everything else works except streaming recordings. Is there any other to stream recordings?

dominoman wrote: »
    Tryed all these changing the port in the plug-in meant I also had to change it in dreamdroid to connect but it still did not work for movies. Everything else works except streaming recordings. Is there any other to stream recordings?

I'm assuming you have authentication off, which means no user/password when streaming a recording ( port 80) The other difference in recording streams from live streams is the url. Both streams use a file of type .m3u, ts.m3u for recorded streams, stream.m3u for live. Ts.m3u contains the ip of the box, port no and then the path and file name of the recording, like this, http://192.168.1.80/web/ts.m3u?file=/hdd/movie/20150820%201729%20-%20TV3%20-%20TV3%20News_%20The%205_30.ts
    If the pc or the phone doesn't have a media player that can play files of type ts then it won't work. I had to install vlc player on my pc and associate files of type. M3u to get streams to play. If your live streams are playing via windows media player, install vlc and associate . M3u to it, also ts as well. On Dreamdroid I also had to install a few media players, MX player and vlc to get streams to work. Another thing to check is the path for recordings. I changed mine from hdd/movies to media/hdd/movies, it's some kind of virtual path as the directory media references hdd.

I'm assuming you have authentication off....
    Yes authentication is off. I also have all the players vlc etc installed. The one thing I am not sure about is the path on the STB, I will check tonight that the files are stored at media/hdd/movies.

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Would anyone be interested in setting this up for me for a reasonable payment. I live in Cabinteely. I have followed steps on page 1, can get UK , channels , but not IE

Im not sure if Enigma or Spark installed

WE used to have IE and UK, was set up, by a third party, who has since left the country

Have Amiko Alien 2
    Saorview Ariel,
    SAT dish
    USed to pick up IE and UK channels, I think the pre loaded image has stopped working

Need UK and IE channels, standard Saorview, and Standard UK, Freeview/freesat
    EPG,CooolTVGuide or similar, ability to record and watch Catch UP (to USB) , Standard Catch up services : would be nice, C4 player, ITV player, RTE player,
    latest version of Enigna
    Latest image firmware, Hyperion or similar

Dont need premium Sky channels

Amiko is connected to Sat and Arial, Network port rj45 avail if needed, or wireless router

Thanks

PM me if interested

You are far better off learning how to set it up yourself so you can solve any future problems easily then, it's not as difficult as it looks, what have you tried and what went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Would anyone be interested in setting this up for me for a reasonable payment. I live in Cabinteely. I have followed steps on page 1, can get UK , channels , but not IE

Im not sure if Enigma or Spark installed

WE used to have IE and UK, was set up, by a third party, who has since left the country

Have Amiko Alien 2
    Saorview Ariel,
    SAT dish
    USed to pick up IE and UK channels, I think the pre loaded image has stopped working

Need UK and IE channels, standard Saorview, and Standard UK, Freeview/freesat
    EPG,CooolTVGuide or similar, ability to record and watch Catch UP (to USB) , Standard Catch up services : would be nice, C4 player, ITV player, RTE player,
    latest version of Enigna
    Latest image firmware, Hyperion or similar

Dont need premium Sky channels

Amiko is connected to Sat and Arial, Network port rj45 avail if needed, or wireless router

Thanks

PM me if interested

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057378184

Follow instructions in this thread and download whatever image you prefer.

All what you need will be either already installed(especially in the case of Zardoz or champions images) or you can install through Plugins yourself(internet required).

All you need to do to bring in your Irish channels is a scan(terrestrial and satellite) and a sort through AutoBouquets.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭TomPetty

Hi Folks,
    Regarding Vix 4 E2 Project - I tried this out today ( upgraded from Spark ).
    The Sat Tuners were fine but I could not pull in anything on the Tuner A Terrestrial ? ?
    Any ideas ?
    Have I some configuration incorrect ?
    Works fine in Spark - I get all the Saorview channels but not on the above ..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

dav32cs wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057378184

Follow instructions in this thread and download whatever image you prefer.

All what you need will be either already installed(especially in the case of Zardoz or champions images) or you can install through Plugins yourself(internet required).

All you need to do to bring in your Irish channels is a scan(terrestrial and satellite) and a sort through AutoBouquets.

Ok, Thx Folks, will retry.
    Two questions, I think I have installed Enigna, which I guess is the OS, how do I check I have Enigma and not spark

and re Image, how do I apply / install the image

Thx a Mil :)

PS is the front USB port the one to use for setting up the box

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement