Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Yes, If it mounts ok, back it up to your pc first then copy back after
    http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Thanks for that. I connected the hard drive to my laptop but nothing came on screen though the icon that comes up when a device is connected (bottom right of screen) appeared.

I installed the software from the link above and the hard drive is being recognised. However it is saying that the total size and used space are the same even though there should be 40GB free. I have attached a screen shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Copy your files and format it

Copy your files and format it

The only copy option I can see is "Copy to Clipboard" when I right click on the EXT3 drive. When I do that and then select the drive to copy to I am not getting an option to paste. Is there some other process I should be doing instead?

gazzer wrote: »
    The only copy option I can see is "Copy to Clipboard" when I right click on the EXT3 drive. When I do that and then select the drive to copy to I am not getting an option to paste. Is there some other process I should be doing instead?

Can you not browse the drive and then drag and drop

Can you not browse the drive and then drag and drop

Do you mean in Windows Explorer? If so no I cant. If I click on Drive D i get a pop up message that I need to format the drive.

• Advertisement

Do you mean in Windows Explorer? If so no I cant. If I click on Drive D i get a pop up message that I need to format the drive.

Looks like something happened the drive. Do you have a Linux pc you could check with? You could bit Ubuntu or done other Linux distro from cd or usb to check before you format it

Looks like something happened the drive. Do you have a Linux pc you could check with? You could bit Ubuntu or done other Linux distro from cd or usb to check before you format it

A friend of mine has a linux pc so I will check with him tomorrow. Thanks very much for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

I recently installed a Linux OS on my Laptop and can run it from within Windows 7. If anyone is interested it opens up all the handy tools and software of Linux to Windows users such as partitioning software (gparted) and ability to view the contents of Linux (ext) formatted drives.

Basically you install software called Oracle Virtual Box which is a 'Virtual Machine'. It lets you to run an OS within an OS. You download an image of a Linux OS such as xUbuntu and run it in Virtual Box. All the while Windows is still running so no need to dual boot.

Step by step instructions are in these two guides on YouTube:

Download and Install VirtualBox in Windows 7

Install Xubuntu 14.04 32 bit into VirtualBox

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

hallo dare wrote: »
    Why? If it's something that they are aware of and is a handy fix I'd like to know instead of having to bring it with me to Dublin someday, when it could possibly be fixed on the kitchen table.

Fair enough it's probably a handy €50 for them, but it would be nice to know if this is some sort of common issue that may happen to many a receiver.

Just about a month ago my Panasonic Plasma (2 and a half years old) packed up, the power light (red light) kept flashing and then would die. I googled it and I found that the number of times the red light flashed gave a clue as to what was wrong (mine flashed ten times) and it said that was the scanboard. Unfortunately I didn't have the 'knowledge' to figure out where the scanboard was so I had to bring it to a repair shop. They were able to figure out what was wrong so that is what I had to pay for. After the repair he showed me the part (the scanboard) that caused the problem. Had I known that I could have repaired it myself.

My point being I'm sure there are a lot of things I could have fixed over the years had I the 'knowledge' of what was wrong, because I'm pretty handy at fixing stuff. So you are paying (unfortunately) for their knowledge to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭championc

They also have the ability to work by process of elimination so they may swap around 3 bits and find the one which is required - and charge you for one (unlike a garage which keep swapping parts until the problem is resolved, and you pay for the lot - for all those parts which did not solve the issue).

So unless a problem is obvious and you know the specific part which will solve your problem, there are times when you need to pass it out to the retailer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

They can swap out the whole box for all i care. What im saying is that i have to take them at their word as to what they "change out". When they wouldn't explain to me what they thought of it to be it just makes me think that it's something handy enough for anyone to swap out. Plus, it's not their first box they have sorted with the same issue they said. It's just a handy few quid for them at the end of the day.

Plus wouldn't it be nice to know for others here also the exact cause, should they ever run into the same problem.

100% agree with you. No reason for them to be secretive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

hallo dare wrote: »
    Plus wouldn't it be nice to know for others here also the exact cause, should they ever run into the same problem.
    It would indeed be nice to know that if same happens to my box it may be a simple board swap

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You can create a bootable linux usb drive, and use that to browse the hard drive that won't connect through windows. The bootable usb should allow you then to copy it to the hard drive of the machine you are booting with, or another usb drive.

Very easy to do.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Best of luck.

MarkR wrote: »
    You can create a bootable linux usb drive, and use that to browse the hard drive that won't connect through windows. The bootable usb should allow you then to copy it to the hard drive of the machine you are booting with, or another usb drive.

Very easy to do.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Best of luck.

Thanks for that. Will give it a shot when I get home from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Latest word from the openatv forums is that v4.2 is being released in the next few days. First for mips, then sh4 boxes.

Latest word from the openatv forums is that v4.2 is being released in the next few days. First for mips, then sh4 boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Fresh Pots wrote: »

I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.
    Would prefer to see a stable SH4 4.1 image out before they move to 4.2 .

Zardoz wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.
    Would prefer to see a stable SH4 4.1 image out before they move to 4.2 .

I see it as a good thing, at least in the long run anyway. If I remember correctly hyperion v3.5 was worked on for a short time before it was scrapped and v4 came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Fresh Pots wrote: »

Thanks for the heads-up. What forums are good for keeping up to date on openatv news, finding out about plugins etc?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads-up. What forums are good for keeping up to date on openatv news, finding out about plugins etc?

For open ATV news their own opena.tv/forum is good. As for plugins etc, I get most of mine from sattvhelp.com. Great little community on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Easiest place to find all plugins together is here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91218557&postcount=3
    Its regularly updated

Just an update on my hard drive issue. I set up a PC with Linux using a bootable USB Key.

Turns out the drive is not working so I have formatted a new drive to EXT3 to use with the box.

Thanks for all the advice and help I got here.

Just wondering if anybody else has noticed this issue with their Amiko Alien when it is connected to the net and when it isnt.

I find (when the box is connected to the net) that a lot of the FTA channels (e.g CBS Drama, Horror Channel) are always freezing and can be very hard to watch. I presumed that it was just a weak frequency for these channels or that my dish was not aligned properly. It has gotten so bad that I was in the process of getting the ladder out this weekend to check all the connections and alignment of the dish.

However my internet connection was down for a couple of days (since Sunday) and those FTA channels that usually freeze were perfect. Not one problem with them. This has been the case for 4 days now. This morning an engineer came out and fixed my internet connection. I reconnected my box to the net and low and behold the channels are freezing and skipping again.

Maybe it is just a coincidence but I would have thought FTA channels would respond the same way regardless of wheter the box was connected to the internet or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

Just wondering if anybody else has noticed this issue with their Amiko Alien when it is connected to the net and when it isnt.

I find (when the box is connected to the net) that a lot of the FTA channels (e.g CBS Drama, Horror Channel) are always freezing and can be very hard to watch. I presumed that it was just a weak frequency for these channels or that my dish was not aligned properly. It has gotten so bad that I was in the process of getting the ladder out this weekend to check all the connections and alignment of the dish.

However my internet connection was down for a couple of days (since Sunday) and those FTA channels that usually freeze were perfect. Not one problem with them. This has been the case for 4 days now. This morning an engineer came out and fixed my internet connection. I reconnected my box to the net and low and behold the channels are freezing and skipping again.

Maybe it is just a coincidence but I would have thought FTA channels would respond the same way regardless of wheter the box was connected to the internet or not?

That sounds like interference to me. Is your router beside the alien. Try plugging in the router in a diffenet room or just switch it off for a bit to see if ir works. I have a similar problem with the Channel 4 suite of channels - and its because of the phone line - whenever someone rings the house - they start to skip and freeze!

That sounds like interference to me. Is your router beside the alien. Try plugging in the router in a diffenet room or just switch it off for a bit to see if ir works. I have a similar problem with the Channel 4 suite of channels - and its because of the phone line - whenever someone rings the house - they start to skip and freeze!

The router is in a seperate room. I have the Amiko connected using an Ethernet wall plug. I will turn the router off when I get home and see what the channel looks like.

The router is in a seperate room. I have the Amiko connected using an Ethernet wall plug. I will turn the router off when I get home and see what the channel looks like.

Is the wall plug direct into the wall or have you got it on a extension lead?

Just disconnect the Ethernet cable to your box. Mind you, you don't confirm which Image you're running which may help or rule stuff out. Mind you, it's the bizarrest thing I've ever heard. It shoulds like your box is doing other stuff in the backround. From Telnet, use the TOP command to check your CPU utilization when connected and when not.

Champions OpenATV AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/j8y5fW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

If you are talking about one of those ethernet powerline adapters I have found they can cause all kinds of interference so it would not surprise me at all if it could effect the alien. There is also evidence out there that these devices can interfere with FM and DAB radio.

Perhaps unrelated but after having efibre installed my powerline adaptors would interfere so much that it would cause my VDSL connection to drop, I could see the modem SNR dropping to -10. As soon as I unplugged the adaptors it would come back normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

Technofobe wrote: »
    That worked great Zardoz :-)
    I just did a manual scan & pulled them in using those frequencies
    cheers

Do you happen to know if there is an AutoBouquets for hyper 4
    & will it work if I have all my channels in 1 favorites bouquet

Thanks for your help
    Quote: ZardozCBBC has changed frequency
    New frequency is 10773.00MHz, pol.H ,DVB-S, SR:22000 FEC:5/6.
    CBBC HD is 11464 , pol.H ,DVB-S, SR:22000 FEC:5/6.

Cbbc hd and cbbc
    gone again
    is it just me
    changed freq last month as per zardoz post an all worked fine until yesterday now says service not found in pat
    they couldn't possibly have changed freq again could they
    what would be the point in that
    anyone know where they are now
    thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement