Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭deezell

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Sorry Man when I posted I was abpout to F@%K the box out the window (So excuse my one line reply) :D

Ok, So reformated to NTFS, unplugged restarted Engima 2 . Setup automount and Sda1 partition. pugged in Still the same green screen when trying to access Plugins and Network.

So tried a fresh install of Hyperion . Funny thing is, everything works fine. Plugins are now accessiable but I still get green screen when trying to access Network settings. Might juts do a fresh install of freetv image that was working fine up until I changed Hard drives.

Thanks for the reply,
    BobbyT28
    I know that feeling, tho it's been a while thankfully. FreeTv image is OpenATV, might well be worth a go. Only thing I can think of at this stage is some access path in your image or in the reflash image is not being satisfied by the new disk, something that was set for the old disk. I said this before a time ago, that an image that is saved with a particular hard disk mounted may give trouble when the presented with a different box/disk combination. Unmounting and remounting should sort it. My first move from OpenAtv to hyperion was like this Magic number errors occur when some script or other is called and causes a read for a filetype, and the wrong one is returned, something like that. Hopefully nothing wrong with the box itself. Good Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

deezell wrote: »
    I know that feeling, tho it's been a while thankfully. FreeTv image is OpenATV, might well be worth a go. Only thing I can think of at this stage is some access path in your image or in the reflash image is not being satisfied by the new disk, something that was set for the old disk. I said this before a time ago, that an image that is saved with a particular hard disk mounted may give trouble when the presented with a different box/disk combination. Unmounting and remounting should sort it. My first move from OpenAtv to hyperion was like this Magic number errors occur when some script or other is called and causes a read for a filetype, and the wrong one is returned, something like that. Hopefully nothing wrong with the box itself. Good Luck!!

Thisnk I will revert back to FreeTV image. Is there some sort of generic walkthrough for anyone installing and setting up an image on enigma 2 that I could follow?

Or maybe you could give a few cruical steps I need to carry out when Starting a fresh. :D

Do I need to reformatted HDD again?
    Should it be 1 partition using EXt3?
    When I first boot up new image, should I have HDD disconnected ?
    When I connect HDD for the first time, shgould I mount it under hdd/media/sda1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just think it's something simple that I am doing wrong!

Should my flash be 78-80% used all the time? seems like a lot!

Thanks again,
    BobbyT28

Thisnk I will revert back to FreeTV image. Is there some sort of generic walkthrough for anyone installing and setting up an image on enigma 2 that I could follow?

Or maybe you could give a few cruical steps I need to carry out when Starting a fresh. :D

Do I need to reformatted HDD again?
    Should it be 1 partition using EXt3?
    When I first boot up new image, should I have HDD disconnected ?
    When I connect HDD for the first time, shgould I mount it under hdd/media/sda1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just think it's something simple that I am doing wrong!

Should my flash be 78-80% used all the time? seems like a lot!

Thanks again,
    BobbyT28
    Have a good look at freeTv Dave's videos.
    78-80% is about right if stuff is going to the HDD and not to Flash, such as crossEPg. downloads. You shouldnt need to reformat, and the disk should automount if its ticked on. OpenATV image doesn't have the blue panel, I cant remember what disk management it had in its setup. I had problems with my EXT3 disk after I installed hyperion, I went back to NTFS and got it stable eventually. I did reflash Hyperion just once during those frustrating times, Used a USB for a while for Crossepg storage, got it working, several days later before I put a disk back in freshely reformatted, and got it to work on record, timeshift, crossepg etc. It was definitly a mounting problem in my case, as nothing was finding it's way to the hard disk. HDD is not the disk, but a path to a partition which hopefully has the correct settings that match the disk you have plugged in. This should be automatic, but.... Booting up after a reflash should be done I imagine following the reflash USB stick insertion. The new image will probably use it in the early stages. I'd like to hear some other views on this also. The crashing on network settings access is a real strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Are you using homeplugs Bobby???
    Just ask as I had a similar problem with the homeplugs, when I switched to a wifi adapter it was ok.
    It was as if the homeplugs were disconnecting themself.
    Anybody know the answer to the homeplugs problem?? As I have a set in the press now doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭techdiver

Does anyone know how I can check the flash partition or memory for hardware errors?

Tried running "shutdown -rF now", but not sure that did anything apart from rebooting?

I have a box that just won't play nicely with any enigma2 image. It must be a hardware issue, but I'm being stonewalled by my retailer as they claim enigma2 isn't supported (Fair enough, but I believe the enigma2 crashes are a result of a hardware problem).

I need to prove it's a hardware issue to get any movement out of them or the manufacturer.

• Advertisement

Imstuck wrote: »
    Are you using homeplugs Bobby???
    Just ask as I had a similar problem with the homeplugs, when I switched to a wifi adapter it was ok.
    It was as if the homeplugs were disconnecting themself.
    Anybody know the answer to the homeplugs problem?? As I have a set in the press now doing nothing

No, I am using CAT6 connected to a switch connected to my modem.

No issues with Network.

Wonder would it have something to do with the Image I am using? Starnge that Plugins are working but stil unable to access network settings.

I can access them in Sparks

Thanks for the reply.
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mjatkey

Hi Guys, I'm new to the Amiko A2 and am presently running a cloned ICloud III which is a pretty good box although I was looking for a box with twin sat tuners hence the Amiko.
    Anyway quick question do I need to scan with both sat tuners and if I was recording say BBC1 on what ever transponder and hence frequency and polarisation it is and I went to another channel which was different freq and polarisation how does the box know which tuner to use? Thanks Martin

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

mjatkey wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm new to the Amiko A2 and am presently running a cloned ICloud III which is a pretty good box although I was looking for a box with twin sat tuners hence the Amiko.
    Anyway quick question do I need to scan with both sat tuners and if I was recording say BBC1 on what ever transponder and hence frequency and polarisation it is and I went to another channel which was different freq and polarisation how does the box know which tuner to use? Thanks Martin

You only need to scan once - most of the images of enigma2 that you will download will have the sat channels scanned already.
    The box will allow you watch one sat channel while recording another (from different transponders) - it does all the sorting of the tuners in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

Hi folks, I'm a newbie to the Linux sat boxes, I have an amiko alien 2 for 5he last 3 weeks from the first day I got it I've had constant problems, it keeps freezing or crashing, picon go missing, epg is located on 1tb ext hdd, but has a habit of going missing, I ordered it with the vix image as it was most sly like, it was Laggy and no good and crashed, I brought it back to shop where I bought it, the open atv image was put on and it was better but still problems continue, from reading the hyperion image is the most stable, does anyone have a link that I could copy and install through spark and get this box working for once and for all its so fustrating, thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

No, I am using CAT6 connected to a switch connected to my modem.

No issues with Network.

Wonder would it have something to do with the Image I am using? Starnge that Plugins are working but stil unable to access network settings.

I can access them in Sparks

Thanks for the reply.
    BobbyT28

Try changing the skin back to default. (Press menu button -setup-system-skins)

Was having this issue (green screen when selecting "network" in the system menu) with v4 and v4.5 , thought it was my box/ or build, but found out from the developer that certain skins cause green screens when access certain options.
    I use modified version of a pli-hd skin, which I like, but has this issue. I change the skin if I need to access network options. Did take me over a year to figure out that it was the skin causing the green screen, mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

alane20 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm a newbie to the Linux sat boxes, I have an amiko alien 2 for 5he last 3 weeks from the first day I got it I've had constant problems, it keeps freezing or crashing, picon go missing, epg is located on 1tb ext hdd, but has a habit of going missing, I ordered it with the vix image as it was most sly like, it was Laggy and no good and crashed, I brought it back to shop where I bought it, the open atv image was put on and it was better but still problems continue, from reading the hyperion image is the most stable, does anyone have a link that I could copy and install through spark and get this box working for once and for all its so fustrating, thanks in advance

Check out the first few posts of this thread. All you need is there, very helpfully maintained by some of the folks here. Have a read and a try, you'll get help here as you need it

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

Slevster wrote: »
    Check out the first few posts of this thread. All you need is there, very helpfully maintained by some of the folks here. Have a read and a try, you'll get help here as you need it

The firmware thread linked to in the first posts of this thread is closed, its replacement is :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057378184
    Hyperion is the most stable by far in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

hi guys im having a problem with my box.happened b4 on certain channels on 1 box that i try to watch i get tune failed and no signal.every other channel works.it only happens on this box.now i have 3 of these boxes so i dunno if i have 2 many or not.this one is the single tuner alien 8900.i know zardoz helped me with this b4 but its happening on every image.please take a look thanks.any help would be great

Slevster wrote: »
    Try changing the skin back to default. (Press menu button -setup-system-skins)

Was having this issue (green screen when selecting "network" in the system menu) with v4 and v4.5 , thought it was my box/ or build, but found out from the developer that certain skins cause green screens when access certain options.
    I use modified version of a pli-hd skin, which I like, but has this issue. I change the skin if I need to access network options. Did take me over a year to figure out that it was the skin causing the green screen, mind you.

You little Beauty! That was the problem! Jesus christ how frustrating!!!

Thanks a mil,

BobbyT28

You little Beauty! That was the problem! Jesus christ how frustrating!!!

Thanks a mil,

BobbyT28

Wait a minute now I can't access skins to change back to Pl-HD mod!!!

Any ideas?

BobbyT28

Wait a minute now I can't access skins to change back to Pl-HD mod!!!

Any ideas?

BobbyT28

Its ok, got it sorted. FTP'd into the box and deleted last installed skin in /usr/shared/enigma2

Thanks again
    BobbyT28

hi guys im having a problem with my box.happened b4 on certain channels on 1 box that i try to watch i get tune failed and no signal.every other channel works.it only happens on this box.now i have 3 of these boxes so i dunno if i have 2 many or not.this one is the single tuner alien 8900.i know zardoz helped me with this b4 but its happening on every image.please take a look thanks.any help would be great
    anyone have a fix for this.should i change lnb

anyone have a fix for this.should i change lnb
    Hit the info button on the remote to see if tuning info is identical to the info on a working box. If different retune. Swap feeds from LNB to confirm LNB is responding to tuning and polarity signals. Recently had this on an old Edision mini box, certain channels would not tune even after a rescan of the correct frequency. Fortunately I had two such boxes, and a channel backup via usb from the working one restored the dodgy one. You could try a channel list backup from your working box to the 8900, assuming channel list data is identical between the two, if they're both running Hyperion. Can someone confirm this.

Hit the info button on the remote to see if tuning info is identical to the info on a working box. If different retune. Swap feeds from LNB to confirm LNB is responding to tuning and polarity signals. Recently had this on an old Edision mini box, certain channels would not tune even after a rescan of the correct frequency. Fortunately I had two such boxes, and a channel backup via usb from the working one restored the dodgy one. You could try a channel list backup from your working box to the 8900, assuming channel list data is identical between the two, if they're both running Hyperion. Can someone confirm this.
    changed the cable connector also yesterday and changed the feed to a empty slot on the lnb.its trying to come through.signal seems to be there and can hear sound goin on and off but picture just wont come thru.seems the signal is there as u can see from pic.thanks

changed the cable connector also yesterday and changed the feed to a empty slot on the lnb.its trying to come through.signal seems to be there and can hear sound goin on and off but picture just wont come thru.seems the signal is there as u can see from pic.thanks
    Signal levels are poor enough, but the BER, bit error ratio, is very high. It's possible that a different box could resolve this poor feed, hence you other boxes work. Try moving the dish a little, one way then the other. Is this the level on all the feeds from the lnb? If the dish is properly aligned and there are no trees growing in front then you should be getting high 70's to 80's for level and quality. Check these readings on a different box, same feed and tuned to same channel. If they're the same regardless of box or feed, the its either misalignment of the dish or a dodgy lnb.

• Advertisement

My SNR is 84%, AGC only 36 and BER is 0, using an original 15 year old sly contract dish refitted with a quad LNB. Your levels should be better unless your in the north pole or somewhere.

Signal levels are poor enough, but the BER, bit error ratio, is very high. It's possible that a different box could resolve this poor feed, hence you other boxes work. Try moving the dish a little, one way then the other. Is this the level on all the feeds from the lnb? If the dish is properly aligned and there are no trees growing in front then you should be getting high 70's to 80's for level and quality. Check these readings on a different box, same feed and tuned to same channel. If they're the same regardless of box or feed, the its either misalignment of the dish or a dodgy lnb.
    ok same channel on other box and this is the reading.seems a big difference u think

ok same channel on other box and this is the reading.seems a big difference u think

The levels are improved, not a huge amount, but BER is 0. I assume this is from the same cable feed, if so, something is amiss in your box, poor soldered tuner connection maybe. Just check the BER on other working channels.

The levels are improved, not a huge amount, but BER is 0. I assume this is from the same cable feed, if so, something is amiss in your box, poor soldered tuner connection maybe. Just check the BER on other working channels.
    ber is now 0 on all boxes and still the same.comes with picture now and again every few secs

ive moved the dish slightly but no difference

can i pm u

can i pm u
    Go ahead

Go ahead
    just did there

just did there
    ok the ber has shot up to over 500 to over a 1000 and signal is 70%.how do i get the ber to 0

• Advertisement

ok the ber has shot up to over 500 to over a 1000 and signal is 70%.how do i get the ber to 0

Glad to hear its working again following PM conversation. A fresh satellites.xml and a rescan can solve a lot of issues. Some boxes will struggle if you have channels on the list with out of date information on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement