Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Imstuck wrote:
    You don't want a wifi dongle, they won't work on a lot of enigma images.

Imstuck wrote:
    A wifi adapter is what you need, one that you plug in the wall, it picks up the wifi and connects to amiko via Ethernet cable.

Not necessarily. It depends what you want to do. If you want to do things which we can't discuss, then a usb wifi dongle is fine. If you want to stream video of an SD channel, then again, a dongle should work fine too. It's only streaming HD that you are likely to struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 spuddastud

deezell wrote: »
    I've been trying it internally first. You can try it between 2 pcs, or a Pc and a device with VLC. You open the stream in VLC using the stream.m3u file which you can get by rightclicking on the stream icon on open webif. Test this by clickin play in the next pane. You can alsi click stream, whereupon you choose the type of stream, transcoding, etc. I've limited time at home to mess with this, i've done the stream part here in work using fixed files and a stream from a webcam. I'll write up a bit more when I've better results. EDIT There are a few server products out there which simplify this. One which costs 6€ is Enigma-Tv, a pc program which let's you enter the box ip and ports, has a channel selector for source, let's you set transcode size and bitrate, say 25% and 200kbps, and sets the output lP of the pc and port as the url of your streamsource. This you port forward on your router To access outside your home network. It has a full set of client apps for all platforms, and these can be used to view the transcoded lo bitrtrate streams and also to change channels. The home made vlc solution would be more difficult to configure if you wanted to choose a range of channels. I think I'll give this software a go, for 6 yoyos it's well worth it.

Hi, I have bought the Enigma TV also but can't for the life of me forward the ports on F2000 Eircom router.
    Did you have any joy? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭deezell

spuddastud wrote: »
    Hi, I have bought the Enigma TV also but can't for the life of me forward the ports on F2000 Eircom router.
    Did you have any joy? Cheers

Here's an answer from an eir(com) customer.

https://community.eir.ie/broadband-25/how-do-i-set-up-custom-port-forwarding-on-f2000-257207

It's been said on another forum that Eir don't allow port 80 and 443 forwarding, they keep them for remote access to your router, so you would need to avoid/change these, either on Enigma-tv pc software, or on Webif on your box for outside access. I notice that F2000 router has very high upload speed, so you hardly need to transcode unless perhaps for hd or if you have low download speeds at your remote location.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Here's an answer from an eir(com) customer.

https://community.eir.ie/broadband-25/how-do-i-set-up-custom-port-forwarding-on-f2000-257207

It's been said on another forum that Eir don't allow port 80 and 443 forwarding, they keep them for remote access to your router, so you would need to avoid/change these, either on Enigma-tv pc software, or on Webif on your box for outside access. I notice that F2000 router has very high upload speed, so you hardly need to transcode unless perhaps for hd or if you have low download speeds at your remote location.

upload speed depends on your connection

Nowso wrote: »
    upload speed depends on your connection

Yes, but the F2000 is a fibre Gbit router, should have seriously good upload.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Yes, but the F2000 is a fibre Gbit router, should have seriously good upload.

the reality is very different . some people have ended up with slower internet than they had with dsl. i seen one upgrade from 0.5 upload on dsl tp 1.0 ,

My upload speed is around 15, so not bad.
    I am having trouble opening ports 8085 and 8095. Do I need to change the Openwebif settings or anything else?

My upload speed is around 15, so not bad.
    I am having trouble opening ports 8085 and 8095. Do I need to change the Openwebif settings or anything else?

15 Mbs? not 1.5? 15 is more than sufficient to stream HD, provided the location you're watching at has a download of at lead 8-12 Mbs. 1.5 would probably stream, without transcoding, the really low bit rate SD channels, the ones with only 504 pixels horizontal resolution and squeezed bandwidth, such as shopping channels, religious, RTE news now and of course TV3. I can almost watch TV3 on an upload of 500Kbs, so low is their bit rate (and Quality. the 2015 Fuzzby World Cup)
    You can set the port numbers in webif config, change the HTTP port from 80 to perhaps 8080, leave the stream at 8001. If you've managed to follow the instructions in that link, you should be able to setup port forwarding from 8080 to box-ip:80 or box-ip:8080 if youve changed it, and from 8001 to box-ip:8001. Don't forget to add the port number :8080 to your router external ip when now trying to see webif, otherwise it will just go to the router web interface. Some users of Eir fibre found that they no longer had a fixed ip (use dynamic DNS for this), but also it's possible that external (your router)IP is really an internal one in the Eir fibre Lan. This is an issue with some broadband providers, and while it doesn't affect traffic between you devices and the outside world, once the path is estasblished from your device via the router , ISP, and back, it can mean that your external IP is not visible as a straight URL from an outside request. if this is the case call Eir support. I couldn't find a guide to the F2000 router web interface in a search, so I'm not familiar with the config procedure, other than that description given in that link. Sometimes it is necessary to set up firewall rules in a router to clear the way for external traffic coming through on the ports required. If you have a .PDF of the router instructions, maybe post it.
    You'll have to do similar forwarding of ports to access the web interface of Enigma TV running on your PC, again, forward the chosen external port number to PC-ip:80 for the Interface, and likewise for the transcoded stream from the PC. Use the defaults in enigma-TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

Box has been running really smoothly for the last week or two, I have pvr setup on pi 2 upstairs and in another room. Running perfect.

I do notice that aa2 becomes slow when running these those, but apart from that it's ok.

Over the last couple of days with both pi 2's turned off, my aa2 is running really slowly it could take 10secs to open favs, switch channels etc, I can hear the HDD doing stuff, and seems like it's always active.

The only hing I did recently was do a full rescan and setup webif apart from that I've done nothing.

When I try unmount HDD I get invalid argument that Ben though I have sda1 mounted.

Any suggestions what this could be?

Regards,

BobbyT28

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

Box has been running really smoothly for the last week or two, I have pvr setup on pi 2 upstairs and in another room. Running perfect.

I do notice that aa2 becomes slow when running these those, but apart from that it's ok.

Over the last couple of days with both pi 2's turned off, my aa2 is running really slowly it could take 10secs to open favs, switch channels etc, I can hear the HDD doing stuff, and seems like it's always active.

The only hing I did recently was do a full rescan and setup webif apart from that I've done nothing.

When I try unmount HDD I get invalid argument that Ben though I have sda1 mounted.

Any suggestions what this could be?

Regards,

BobbyT28
    When you say you have Pi running as Pvr, do you mean you are Recording/timeshifting to a storage device connected to the Pi?

• Advertisement

When you say you have Pi running as Pvr, do you mean you are Recording/timeshifting to a storage device connected to the Pi?

I've setup Vu+ Enigma2 pvr plugin so I can watch live TV and record.

Just noticed that when I check HDD manager everything is blank. But when I click show devices on HDD manager it says,

Detected devices:

/sda/dev: 1000.2 GB
    /dev/sda1blocks=976760001 system='linux'

I thought /dev/sda1 needs to be in mount point 1/hdd

Thanks again,
    BobbyT28

So when I use mount point 1 /dev/sda1

I show devices and it says the following:

/dev/sda1 mount on /media/hdd
    /dev/sda1 mount on /media/sad1

Is this correct? I also made hdd auto mount.

Thanks,
    BobbyT28

So when I use mount point 1 /dev/sda1

I show devices and it says the following:

/dev/sda1 mount on /media/hdd
    /dev/sda1 mount on /media/sad1

Is this correct? I also made hdd auto mount.

Thanks,
    BobbyT28

Seems to be running ok. When you power cycle box when i hangs do you need to mount drives again or should it auto mount?

Should I have a swap partition? maybe around 256MB ?

BobbyT28

Have recording going to

/media/hdd/movie

Have recording going to

/media/hdd/movie

I'm assuming VU+ PVR is a plugin that achieves the same end as WebIf, allowing you to stream to remote devices, browse epg and set off recordings (to the box HDD). Just looking at the Wiki for this plugin, http://kodi.wiki/view/VUPlus , there are comments about settings for fetching the channels and bouquets to the effect that you dont want the remote device to fetch all the epg contents, just the channels in the bouquet you are currently looking at, otherwise the box will churn.
    Folder for channeldata: Retrieving the channel data from the backend can take quite long. To avoid that the user has to wait a long time before the addon starts it stores the information about the available channels in a separate XML file. Instead of quering the backend the addon then tries to load the channels from this XML file during addon startup. This property defines into which directory this XML file will be put. The filename is "channeldata.xml". Also, the last played position of the recordings will be saved into this directory, so that the user can resume the playback of a previously stopped recording. The recording data is stored into the file "recordings.xml".
    Fetch only one TV bouquet: If this option is set than only the channels that are in one specified TV bouquet will be loaded, instead of fetching all available channels in all available bouquets
    Does this make sense? i dont have this plugin so I'm not familiar with the config, but it looks a lot like the Dreamdroid app I use on Android devices to stream, set timers, browse epg, play recordings etc.

I'm assuming VU+ PVR is a plugin that achieves the same end as WebIf, allowing you to stream to remote devices, browse epg and set off recordings (to the box HDD). Just looking at the Wiki for this plugin, http://kodi.wiki/view/VUPlus , there are comments about settings for fetching the channels and bouquets to the effect that you dont want the remote device to fetch all the epg contents, just the channels in the bouquet you are currently looking at, otherwise the box will churn.
    Folder for channeldata: Retrieving the channel data from the backend can take quite long. To avoid that the user has to wait a long time before the addon starts it stores the information about the available channels in a separate XML file. Instead of quering the backend the addon then tries to load the channels from this XML file during addon startup. This property defines into which directory this XML file will be put. The filename is "channeldata.xml". Also, the last played position of the recordings will be saved into this directory, so that the user can resume the playback of a previously stopped recording. The recording data is stored into the file "recordings.xml".
    Fetch only one TV bouquet: If this option is set than only the channels that are in one specified TV bouquet will be loaded, instead of fetching all available channels in all available bouquets
    Does this make sense? i dont have this plugin so I'm not familiar with the config, but it looks a lot like the Dreamdroid app I use on Android devices to stream, set timers, browse epg, play recordings etc.

Thanks for the reply. Will have a look at my settings and see what's set.

Box is gone slow again. No RPi's on, so not sure why it's doing this all of a sudden!! Just when everything was going perfect!

On my above posts about mounting what drives are these correct?

Regards,
    BobbyT28

Thanks for the reply. Will have a look at my settings and see what's set.

Box is gone slow again. No RPi's on, so not sure why it's doing this all of a sudden!! Just when everything was going perfect!

On my above posts about mounting what drives are these correct?

Regards,
    BobbyT28

See previous posts about unmounting and remounting, turning off all HDD settings for record, timeshift, crossepg, swap etc. If your box is recording and storing cross epg data to HDD, then I'd leave that alone. You seem to have just one partition , SDA1 which is mounted as HDD/Media, and you have the movie folder on this, so it should be fine. Disable the VU + PVR plugin maybe, then reboot and see if the box returns to normal?

15 Mbs? not 1.5? 15 is more than sufficient to stream HD, provided the location you're watching at has a download of at lead 8-12 Mbs. 1.5 would probably stream, without transcoding, the really low bit rate SD channels, the ones with only 504 pixels horizontal resolution and squeezed bandwidth, such as shopping channels, religious, RTE news now and of course TV3. I can almost watch TV3 on an upload of 500Kbs, so low is their bit rate (and Quality. the 2015 Fuzzby World Cup)
    You can set the port numbers in webif config, change the HTTP port from 80 to perhaps 8080, leave the stream at 8001. If you've managed to follow the instructions in that link, you should be able to setup port forwarding from 8080 to box-ip:80 or box-ip:8080 if youve changed it, and from 8001 to box-ip:8001. Don't forget to add the port number :8080 to your router external ip when now trying to see webif, otherwise it will just go to the router web interface. Some users of Eir fibre found that they no longer had a fixed ip (use dynamic DNS for this), but also it's possible that external (your router)IP is really an internal one in the Eir fibre Lan. This is an issue with some broadband providers, and while it doesn't affect traffic between you devices and the outside world, once the path is estasblished from your device via the router , ISP, and back, it can mean that your external IP is not visible as a straight URL from an outside request. if this is the case call Eir support. I couldn't find a guide to the F2000 router web interface in a search, so I'm not familiar with the config procedure, other than that description given in that link. Sometimes it is necessary to set up firewall rules in a router to clear the way for external traffic coming through on the ports required. If you have a .PDF of the router instructions, maybe post it.
    You'll have to do similar forwarding of ports to access the web interface of Enigma TV running on your PC, again, forward the chosen external port number to PC-ip:80 for the Interface, and likewise for the transcoded stream from the PC. Use the defaults in enigma-TV

Thanks for reply pal. But still cannot get it to connect. It will come up as 'transferring data on web page and try connecting but no good.
    Think it's these bloody modems. ll ports are open but still no joy.

Thanks for reply pal. But still cannot get it to connect. It will come up as 'transferring data on web page and try connecting but no good.
    Think it's these bloody modems. ll ports are open but still no joy.
    Note down the external IP of the box and try to reach it from outside with https://external-ip:443, this is the secure access to the router externally, should bring up the router interface if it actually is the public face of the router, but I'm guessing that eir don't allow this or else its not a reall external ip, just internal to the fibre network, rather like your box ip is only visible in your Lan. Try eir helpline, ask for a fixed external ip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Having trouble with open atv 4.2. Used champs image and then upgraded it to 4.2 so it's pretty much a bare bones image with few plugins. Did a full scan of the terrestrial and 28.2 sats and then Ftpd in my favourite channels using dreamboxedit. All was going well for a few days but now each day when we turn on the TV we get...

- last channel viewed plays fine.
    - when I try to change to another channel whether in favourites or from the other bouquets I get a blank screen.
    - tuners a, b and c all showing in light grey, effectively dimmed out
    - if I go into service searching and try either an automatic or manual scan it completes within seconds but doesn't discover any channels

Only solution seems to be a reboot. Sometimes it takes a couple as I only get sound on a channel and no picture after first reboot.

Any ideas. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

basill wrote: »
    Having trouble with open atv 4.2. Used champs image and then upgraded it to 4.2 so it's pretty much a bare bones image with few plugins. Did a full scan of the terrestrial and 28.2 sats and then Ftpd in my favourite channels using dreamboxedit. All was going well for a few days but now each day when we turn on the TV we get...

- last channel viewed plays fine.
    - when I try to change to another channel whether in favourites or from the other bouquets I get a blank screen.
    - tuners a, b and c all showing in light grey, effectively dimmed out
    - if I go into service searching and try either an automatic or manual scan it completes within seconds but doesn't discover any channels

Only solution seems to be a reboot. Sometimes it takes a couple as I only get sound on a channel and no picture after first reboot.

Any ideas. Cheers.

Sounds to me like your USB Stick/Harddrive is not mounted properly. Maybe try a different stick. The receiver can behave badly when stick not mounted correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

I am kinda disappointed I upgraded to Hyperion 4.5 now.

Box has become very unresponsive at times (eg) two or three time a week I need to turn off, as remote not responsive trying to take out of Standby.

Sometimes when the box does come out of Standby and responses to remote the channels wont load on screen.
    EPG fine but channels just wont play. Reboot required.

My old image worked fine with mu KODI/ PVR (Rpi2) setup, but since I moved over to 4.5 I cant get the channels to stream on the Rpi2.
    note: WebIF works fine on P.C etc.

Yes 4.5 is a lot faster, and I did notice better sound and image quality, but i have lost more on the swings than gained on the roundabouts.

Any idea when Hyperion 5.0 might be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Box has become very unresponsive at times (eg) two or three time a week I need to turn off, as remote not responsive trying to take out of Standby.

Sometimes when the box does come out of Standby and responses to remote the channels wont load on screen.

I'm having the first two issues that I have quoted.

@Zardos, are these expected issues?

I love the speed, but the reliability would be nice too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Lads I'm running zardoz hyperion 4.5 since he uploaded it here months ago with virtually no issues whatsoever, no mounting issues at all, no box hanging, not sure if it's certain boxes but I'm running a Sab Triple Tuner thats probably 18 months old now with a Samsung m3 500g hard drive, had no issues with champs old original arp image either, only issues I reckon is from over tinkering!

Again, Sounds to me like a hard drive/usb problem. These boxes are very particular about hard drives used and format of same. In my experience the Samsung M3 gives best results with all images.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I'd always recommend that you reboot the box at least once a day as leaving it on all the time and placing it into standby will cause these issues.
    What seems to happen is that the swap file gets too big when its in standby and as its running from a hard drive it becomes unstable.
    I actually turn off my receiver every night .

The problem with these receivers is that they only have a small amount of memory and running multiple operations on them (like the Rpi2,streaming,recording) will use up alot of memory and swap space.
    Certain skins will also use more memory ,I'm not a fan of the Sky skin for example,it seems to bring issues when taking the box out of standby.
    I dont like swap space either to be honest ,I always found it brought problems but its a necessary evil.
    So I'd recommend a daily reboot,use the Pli Hd skin ,and check on the flash and memory usage by pressing the find button every so often to see what they are.
    Again, Sounds to me like a hard drive/usb problem. These boxes are very particular about hard drives used and format of same. In my experience the Samsung M3 gives best results with all images.
    I'd agree ,most likely due to swap file issues .
    A pity with all the different versions of the Alien 2 released that they didnt double the ram to 512MB ,it would solve alot of niggles .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

givecredit wrote: »

I've actually gone without a HDD recently to see if it helps ...or have I exasperated the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I've actually gone without a HDD recently to see if it helps ...or have I exasperated the problem?

Where are you storing the epg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

how.gareth wrote: »
    Lads I'm running zardoz hyperion 4.5 since he uploaded it here months ago with virtually no issues whatsoever, no mounting issues at all, no box hanging, not sure if it's certain boxes but I'm running a Sab Triple Tuner thats probably 18 months old now with a Samsung m3 500g hard drive, had no issues with champs old original arp image either, only issues I reckon is from over tinkering!

Pretty sure I have that Zardoz image too. Another boardsie was a big help in setting me up.

Havn't had a peep of a problem touch wood in the two months I have the box running.

Have a 500GB HDD attached, leave the box in standby overnight and never turn it off, use the sky skin too.

Although I've been sure to just not tinker and mess with it, at all. Typically I'm always messing with my HTPC and other things in my house, but with this I just leave it alone. Probably partially why I don't get any problems :)

• Advertisement

I'd highly recommend plugging in a usb stick. Does not have to be a big one. 4gb is fine. (As long as you do not record)

This one works fine with OpenATV 5.1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-THNU08HAYWHT-TransMemory-Flash-Drive/dp/B00OCDQGYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444924210&sr=8-1&keywords=toshiba+usb+stick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement