Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Have you considered using raspberry pi?? I use 2 one in bedroom and the other in front room. I use a pvr client on both and point it to AA2 I'll post you thread that I follow to set this up. Great job.

BobbyT28

Here is the link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057182938

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭deezell

Hello,

I'm running PKT4 and the image seems to be maybe in need of shifting up because the image seems to be a pixel or three too low along the top edge of the TV. Photo attached.

I looked through the menus in PKT and in the Sony TV menus also but can't see where the image could be adjusted to remove those white lines along the top edge of the screen.

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Flex
    Try this OSD adjustment plugin
    https://56343a41a76effbb954c1dc1e45287ca77b901ea.googledrive.com/host/0B4ZtbqH07yplOEZuZ29wcmJzY0U/enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-osdadjustment_1.0-r2_sh4.ipk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I looked through the menus in PKT and in the Sony TV menus also but can't see where the image could be adjusted to remove those white lines along the top edge of the screen.

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Its called overscan .
    There is usually an option on the tv menu to enable it,its often called screen fit .
    Overscan on will remove the white lines but its effectively cropping the picture and rescaling it so there is a loss of picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nice_day

I'm running Open ATV (Champion's image I think) on the AA2 since I got the box a few months ago. It was a steep learning curve at first.

It is beginning to crash a little too often for me now despite almost weekly reflashes. I'm fairly sure I have things set up right - mounting, swap files, epg etc.

Anyway, as I'll have time this week, I thought I'd try a new image. What is the most stable image to go with? Do most people use Zardoz's Hyperion image from the Firmware thread? I won't be doing anything too special bar setting it up for recording.

Thanks for all the help so far.

nice_day wrote: »
    I'm running Open ATV (Chamgopion's image I think) on the AA2 since I got the box a few months ago. It was a steep learning curve at first.

It is beginning to crash a little too often for me now despite almost weekly reflashes. I'm fairly sure I have things set up right - mounting, swap files, epg etc.

Anyway, as I'll have time this week, I thought I'd try a new image. What is the most stable image to go with? Do most people use Zardoz's Hyperion image from the Firmware thread? I won't be doing anything too special bar setting it up for recording.

Thanks for all the help so far.
    Go for it, make sure to mount your disk properly, you might get away with just plugging in and rebooting, automount should take care of it. Make sure crossepg
    , recording and timeshift are all pointing to it. Reboot after setting these, check you have a valid network connection, run autoboquets to update the service list, then run crossepg and do a test recording.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Actually your right cyndale... I only seem to have the problem on TG4 ! Sometimes you get good movies on TG4 and if I record them I have those white lines along the top. Annoying.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

Actually your right cyndale... I only seem to have the problem on TG4 ! Sometimes you get good movies on TG4 and if I record them I have those white lines along the top. Annoying.

Flex

Yeah, same here, TG4!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

hi all has anyone any experience with golden media 990.i am just looking to use it as a backend for kodi and might use it downstairs.im just trying to get into enigma 2 and that whole scene.

massy086 wrote: »
    hi all has anyone any experience with golden media 990.i am just looking to use it as a backend for kodi and might use it downstairs.im just trying to get into enigma 2 and that whole scene.

I have 2 of them ,they are excellent receivers .
    Pretty much the same receiver as the Alien 2 or GM Triplex but only a single tuner .

Zardoz wrote: »
    Pretty much the same receiver as the Alien 2 or GM Triplex but only a single tuner .
    Ye iv been pottering away at it tonight I got it 4 a song on adverts so happy I could do with a full channel list as im missing a lot of the sly, s and Rte if u can help even by pm if needed cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

Anybody know how to skip to a certain time while playing back recordings? E.g. I am watching the Apprentice and I want to skip to 30 minutes withouth fast forwarding from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭DopeTech

dominoman wrote: »
    Anybody know how to skip to a certain time while playing back recordings? E.g. I am watching the Apprentice and I want to skip to 30 minutes withouth fast forwarding from the start.

You can press the numbers 3 6 and 9 to fast forward, you can get the skip amounts in settings. I have 9 set to 270 seconds. The average duration of an ad break.

Zardoz wrote: »

In other words, a pointless receiver to own.

Flex

Flex
    Why pointless???

massy086 wrote: »
    Why pointless???

The GM990 has just ONE tuner for satellite and can't receive saorview at all. Kodi can only give you flexible viewing of channels on other devices if your satellite receiver can supply that choice because it has several tuners. You could have gotten a triple tuner for a song and a half, better purchase.

Flex

The GM990 has just ONE tuner for satellite and can't receive saorview at all. Kodi can only give you flexible viewing of channels on other devices if your satellite receiver can supply that choice because it has several tuners. You coult d have gotten a triple tuner for a song and a half, better purchase.

Flex

Better still, get an edision optimuss Os3+, about two songs and an encore, but top speed, perfect for multiple steams and viewing, and possibly transcoding down the road for outside streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

deezell wrote: »
    Better still, get an edision optimuss Os3+, about two songs and an encore, but top speed, perfect for multiple steams and viewing, and possibly transcoding down the road for outside streaming.

is the Edision range the new kid in town when it comes affordable Linux boxes?

are they a better spec than the AA2?

is the Edision range the new kid in town when it comes affordable Linux boxes?

Processor: Broadcom 1300 MHz Mips Processor (BCM 7356)
    Memory: 256 MB NAND Flash / 8MB NOR Flash / 1 GB DDR3 RAM

Interesting. It does look like a successor to the Alien 2 alright. Faster Broadcom processor, more memory and an internal hard drive is the way to go for stability and responsiveness from the remote. Cheaper than a similarly spec'd Technomate box. I guess the OS3+ has sold out, I can't find it anywhere.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Interesting. It does look like a successor to the Alien 2 alright. Faster Broadcom processor, more memory and an internal hard drive is the way to go for stability and responsiveness from the remote. Cheaper than a similarly spec'd Technomate box. I guess the OS3+ has sold out, I can't find it anywhere.

Flex

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057354767&page=35

seems a thread going on this box a while now

• Advertisement

Flex

Free.tv doing the oS2+ with the third tuner on the USB, http://www.freetv.ie/edision-optimuss-os-3-plus.html
    Comes in less than the OS3+ used to be, they're only adding €20 extra for thetuner, its €37 seperately. Depends on if you want a sticky out terrestrial tuner. If you have to go this option, there is also the OS1+, same spec as OS2 plus but without the front panel display.on this site, https://abel.tv/optimuss-os1-plus-1tb-festplatte-hd-dvb-s-2-linux-schwarz.html#technischeDaten
    Its priced at 199 including a 1Tb built in hard drive and a wireless USB stick. Thats a good 80€ worth. Add in the terrestrial stick from them for 29. Shipping to Ireland is 12.

Flex

Yes very pointless ,that's why I have two .:mad:
    The GM990 has just ONE tuner for satellite and can't receive saorview at all. Kodi can only give you flexible viewing of channels on other devices if your satellite receiver can supply that choice because it has several tuners. You could have gotten a triple tuner for a song and a half, better purchase.
    He paid 40 euro for the Gm990 ,its a song at that price.
    Going by your logic nobody would buy a single tuner receiver .
    Not everyone needs two tuners especially if its a receiver for the bedroom or second room.
    There is so little on tv worth watching that I wouldnt have much need for a twin tuner myself ,however the wife wouldnt be able to cope .:p

I actually find the Alien 1/Gm990 performs better than the Alien 2 ,its a slightly different chipset ,and Enigma 2 runs better on it.
    Its a really nice and solid receiver .

I do know what you are getting at though,its true that alot of receivers are now coming in single and twin tuner variations and the price difference isnt much.

Not long a go ,only a few years ,there was a huge difference between a single and twin tuner in price .
    The Edision receivers have numerous software issues ,they are a buggy box and seem to have overheating issues as well.
    I wouldnt recommend one ,there are better options for a similar price or less.
    Cheaper than a similarly spec'd Technomate box. I guess the OS3+ has sold out, I can't find it anywhere.
    The Technomate Nano 3T whilst similar in spec ,its made by the same company,DAGS, is a much superior receiver in performance than the Edision .
    The images for it are better ,it also has Vix support .
    I have one ,its a great receiver ,I've had one green screen ever .
    s the Edision range the new kid in town when it comes affordable Linux boxes?

Its a better spec yes ,the Alien 2 is getting old now ,its been on the market almost 4 years .
    Its near the end of life now with regard to support but its been a great servant.

Personally ,I think the Xpeed LX2 is the best value twin tuner around .
    Its actually available for 135 euro delivered from Germany at the moment
    http://www.satkontor.de/golden-interstar-xpeed-lx2-hd-usb-pvr-e2-hdtv-linux-twin-sat-receiver-2x-dvb-s2.html?listtype=search&searchparam=lx2
    Its been out a few years so the images are very mature for it at this stage and it has a very nice spec.
    750Mhz cpu ,512Mb of Ram and 512Mb of flash.
    It can also accommodate a cheap 7 euro usb terrestrial tuner for use with Saorview if you want to make it a triple tuner.

The Zgemma Star is a very similar specification , in some ways its a clone of the LX2.
    Its available for less than 100 euro and is also compatible with the cheap usb tuner.

For a single tuner receiver there are lots of options like the Vu Zero or Technomate Nano but as these cost 115-125 euro ,you are probably just as well to get the LX2 as its a twin tuner.
    The Alien 1 is a fine receiver but at ~95 euro the Vu Zero is a better bet .
    The picture quality on the Alien receivers cant be beaten though ,much better than Mips especially on a larger set.

If you want to spend a bit more money on a receiver then you can move up to the 1.3Ghz cpu receivers which have 1Gb of Ram.
    There are a good few of these in twin and triple tuner variations.
    The cheapest ones are the Xtrend Et8000 and the Vu+ Solo SE V2 for ~ 207 euro delivered.
    The Xtrend can accommodate an internal hard drive but the Solo SE V2 cant, but its good to see Vu addressing the mid market range ,their receivers have been overpriced for years.

The Xtrend 8000 in the triple tuner version is ~237 euro currently .
    https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdtv-receiver-sat/xtrend/1939/xtrend-et-8000-hd-2x-dvb-s2-tuner-pvr-ready-linux-full-hd-hbbtv-receiver?c=52

Moving up a bit in price the Vu+ Solo 2 is around 275 euro ,a fine receiver but limited to two internal tuners but can run a third via usb.
    At the same price is the Gigablue Quad which can accommodate 4 tuners ,it comes with 2 as standard .
    Both these receivers have excellent image support.

There are lots of other receivers on the market ,but these are the main ones .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Where can you get the €7 USB tuner?

Any suggestions here would be very welcome...

I've just changed over to Hyperion 4.5 and OpenATV was crashing too much. I mounted the drives, serviced scanned and updated my bouquets, set up recording, and updated the oscam. There appears already to be a 64mb swapfile, though not sure if it's being used.

But it's freezing loads on me. Like, when I go into the blue panel, it may just freeze. Or when I switch EPG views, it might freeze. Probably a dozen times. If it doesn't freeze while just watching TV and not tinkering with settings I'll be happy. But there must be something I need to fix.

Can anyone advise what might be causing the crashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mrbloop

I've just changed over to Hyperion 4.5 and OpenATV was crashing too much. I mounted the drives, serviced scanned and updated my bouquets, set up recording, and updated the oscam. There appears already to be a 64mb swapfile, though not sure if it's being used.

But it's freezing loads on me. Like, when I go into the blue panel, it may just freeze. Or when I switch EPG views, it might freeze. Probably a dozen times. If it doesn't freeze while just watching TV and not tinkering with settings I'll be happy. But there must be something I need to fix.

Are you using all your tuners?
    I find that if you are not using 1 or 2 tuners and don't have them disabled then this can cause the image to be a bit glitchy...

hey all i have a amiko alien 1 running enigma 2 .what i am trying to do is stream the tv channels to my openelec chromebox.can anyone tell me the best way to do this cheers all

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

@Zardoz,

I know quite a few people that have ended up with zgemma star's, and purely by the cost of them I'm surprised at your admiration of them.

Seeing as I don't use a terrestrial tuner, I suppose I should be looking along the lines of these as my next purchase.
    Would the picture quality be as good as the aa2 on my 50'' tv?
    Also, where would one find a selection of images for this box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

Have you checked that your crossepg is saving to the HDD rather than internal memory

mrbloop wrote: »
    Are you using all your tuners?
    I find that if you are not using 1 or 2 tuners and don't have them disabled then this can cause the image to be a bit glitchy...

mrbloop, thanks a million, you nailed it exactly. I have a communal satellite feed so I only have one terrestrial and one satellite cable coming into the house. I've now disabled the second satelite tuner and for the first time I have a reliable box.

amikoalien2, thanks for the advice. I did figure that one out awhile ago, and it made a big difference alright.

• Advertisement

Imstuck wrote: »
    @Zardoz,

I know quite a few people that have ended up with zgemma star's, and purely by the cost of them I'm surprised at your admiration of them.

Seeing as I don't use a terrestrial tuner, I suppose I should be looking along the lines of these as my next purchase.
    Would the picture quality be as good as the aa2 on my 50'' tv?
    Also, where would one find a selection of images for this box?

The Zgemmas are an excellent receiver for the money .
    I dont think the Zgemma would be much of an upgrade for you though considering you already have an AA2.
    Its a starter receiver really ,for less than a hundred euro .

Would the picture quality be as good as the AA2 ?
    No ,no it wouldn't.
    HD would be quite similar but sd would be noticeably inferior,especially in lower light conditions.

The Alien 1 and 2 have the best picture quality of the enigma 2 receivers on the market,no Mips receiver can really compare .
    Believe me I have tried so many Mips receivers and whilst they have more power the picture quality is not one of their strong points ,which is a bit baffling really as picture quality should be of primary importance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement