Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Zardoz wrote: »
    It can also accommodate a cheap 7 euro usb terrestrial tuner for use with Saorview if you want to make it a triple tuner.

@Zardoz: Where can you get this €7 USB Saorview Receiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Zardoz

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

deezell wrote: »

Hi Deezell,

I used 7Zip to unzip that ipk down to the OSDAdjustment folder and then used FileZilla to copy it into: /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins which is the way it is packed in to the ipk file. After a restart/reboot however I still can't see a new plugin menu entry for OSDAdjustment under PKT4. Is there some different way of installing it or magic incantation to get it running?

Cheers,

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

Hi Deezell,

I used 7Zip to unzip that ipk down to the OSDAdjustment folder and then used FileZilla to copy it into: /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins which is the way it is packed in to the ipk file. After a restart/reboot however I still can't see a new plugin menu entry for OSDAdjustment under PKT4. Is there some different way of installing it or magic incantation to get it running?

Cheers,

Flex

It should show up when you press menu as OSD asjustment. See my post in this link with a screen dump.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97130399&postcount=4682

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

Has anybody ever came across an issue where they have the sound from the channels but no picture? The menus are working but just no picture from the channel. I've reinstalled the image but still no joy.

I've been running a stable Enigma 2 image since July and only started having issues last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Has anybody ever came across an issue where they have the sound from the channels but no picture? The menus are working but just no picture from the channel. I've reinstalled the image but still no joy.

I've been running a stable Enigma 2 image since July and only started having issues last week

Had this before, but that was after a reboot.

I just rebooted again and it solved the issue.

Regards,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

What ever happened freshpots? Was trying to find the last image he posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

BARGAIN ALERT on the Amiko A3

Dont know how good they are but looks like a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gleannboy

BARGAIN ALERT on the Amiko A3

Amazon Reviews

Amiko A3 missed a trick here no quad core processor 1 gig of ram and no ac wifi it's just a basic android box with a TV tuner bolted on, if you don't need sat get a fire TV or mini neo 8-H plus far far better and cheaper or event a vu+ plus satellite box as the new owe run kodi fine

A lot of bugs and glitches on this device which is unacceptable for the price! Resolution issues, unable to view anything on 1080p due to pixel quality being poor! There's also sync issues with picture and sound, the sound being 6 or 7 seconds behind. This seems a very unstable box and doesn't justify it's price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liverpoolee

Hello again chaps. I've been running the hyperion pkt image from here for the last two years with minimal problems on my amiko alien 2 downstairs.
    After a disaster trying a couple of broadcom boxes in the bedroom I've opted for the alien mini hd satellite box for my single lnb feed.
    my question is thus, can I just put my hyperion image on the new box and just close the second lnb in settings?
    It's coming with that openvix sky copy image preinstalled but I don't like it very much.
    Or is there a dedicated hyperion image for that box? Any pointers appreciated.

Ps. I hope I haven't missed a dedicated thread for the box but I couldn't find one.

• Advertisement

Hello again chaps. I've been running the hyperion pkt image from here for the last two years with minimal problems on my amiko alien 2 downstairs.
    After a disaster trying a couple of broadcom boxes in the bedroom I've opted for the alien mini hd satellite box for my single lnb feed.
    my question is thus, can I just put my hyperion image on the new box and just close the second lnb in settings?
    It's coming with that openvix sky copy image preinstalled but I don't like it very much.
    Or is there a dedicated hyperion image for that box? Any pointers appreciated.

Ps. I hope I haven't missed a dedicated thread for the box but I couldn't find one.

The Alien 1/Alien Mini uses different images to the Alien 2 so you cant use your Alien 2 backup on the Alien Mini.
    It just so happens I updated my Alien 1 Hyperion 4.5 backup last week so you can install that if you are looking for an up to date backup.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jrebpmrcfotpkjs/AABdlKi29vezpPQ58fkCqCiea?dl=0
    I'm uploading a copy of my Hyperion 4.5 backup for the Alien 1 aka Alien 8900 aka Golden Media Reloaded 990 aka Sab Solo.

I've included a few mods and tweaks in this image to improve performance.

Firstly it has the amixer audio boost script running so the audio levels are louder and more like Spark and other receiver levels.
    You will no longer have to increase the volume levels on your tv to high levels and the fix doesn't distort the audio.

The tuxtext.ttf file has also been replaced,the teletext font is alot more rounded,larger and easier on the eye ,unlike the inbuilt teletext which is designed for eastern european languages.

History Zap Selector is included ,handy for channel browsing .(Prev/Next Button or Recall)
    Use 0 to switch between 2 channels.

Record Infobar is also included

I have also tweaked a few of the button mapping configurations and settings .

It is configured for 28e and all picons(rats) are installed as is an up to date channel list .
    Autobouquets (Nov 2015 build) is installed if you'd prefer to use this .
    Autobouquetsmaker,v2.3,is also installed

The following plugins are installed and working well:
    AutoTimer
    AutoVolumeAdjustment
    CacheFlush
    CrossEPG 0.8.1
    CoolTVGuide v7.3 (opens on EPG)
    RTE Player,
    1channel (latest version)
    IPTV List Updater
    Rats Channel Updater
    Rats Picon Updater
    TSmedia 9.2
    Media Portal
    Navibar 1.1
    WebInterface

Oscam is installed and running,you just need to edit the oscam.server file ,/var/keys
    Oscam port: 8888 user: root, pass: oscam
    FTP: user:root ,pass:pkteam

Crossepg 0.8.1 is configured to update when the box is in standby .

It is running PLi-HD skin but there are a few other skins to try inc Metrix HD and Sky HD if you dont like that.
    Plenty of free flash space is available to install other plugins .
    The image is setup to use DHCP automatically and is also set for HDMI at 720p.
    The On Screen Display plugin is also installed

This is an extremely solid image and very quick ,the Alien 1 has alot more free memory than the Alien 2 so it doesn't rely on a Swap file very often which improves performance.
    Many thanks to the PKT team,data devil, and other plugin developers who have put in sterling work with the different code involved in this backup.
    Enjoy

Great that Zardoz. I'll give that a go when I get the box. Hyperion still the best imho.

Great that Zardoz. I'll give that a go when I get the box. Hyperion still the best imho.

Good man.
    The Mini is a nice box it runs Hyperion really well,better than the Alien 2 to be honest.
    What problems did you have with the Broadcom based receivers out of curiosity ?

Hyperion 5.1 has tested ok on the Alien 1 and Alien 2 so we should expect to see an official release soon .
    Good to see continued support from PKT.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Alien 1 is a nice box . have one in the kitchen and it does a good job , where a smaller single box is suited better . any changes and a reboot is needed , but runs good

Good man.
    The Mini is a nice box it runs Hyperion really well,better than the Alien 2 to be honest.
    What problems did you have with the Broadcom based receivers out of curiosity ?
    I bought a miraclebox micro to replace a sky box f5s upstairs in the bedroom. Everthing would be great at first install using vix image. After about 5-10 minutes the $ channels would go off citing tune fail. Only sky channels though. BT $ channels were fine. I was fiddling with it for well over 40 hours in total trying to figure it out. Tried dozens of images, every softcam imaginable but no dice. I had enough in the end and sent it back to world of satellite for a refund.
    I had similar trouble with a vu+duo a few years back. For some reason on my set up I can only use amiko alien and f5 type of boxes in my house.
    Wos reckoned I needed a new quad lnb but why would the alien and skyboxes work so well?
    I'm sticking with amiko for now. I'm hoping they're gonna bring out a faster version of the alien 2 triple tuner because it's a little lacking in muscle I think. I've hardly got anything on mine and the spinner is a regular on my tv.

As an aside Zardoz, will the amiko alien mini hd box update crossepg and autobouquets in standby?
    It's mainly gonna be in standby you see except for a few hours every night.
    I'm sure my alien 2 triple tuner has to be on for those plugins to update the box. Or have I been leaving it on for no reason for 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Zardoz' images are generally setup to download crossepg in standby as a rule.
    Just check it out in crossepg configuration.

Hi,

Weird thing has started to happen, anytime I setup series link (record a program weekly or daily). Example on Monday the missus said that Home and Away wasn't recorded that day but it was the week before. So I went to EPG and could see that it wasn't red (set to record).

So I set it up again and after about 3 days the same thing. No recordings. Any idea?

I have the box setup to download epg evry night/morning at 04:00. Could this be causing it, I doubt it as I have always had it setup this way and this has just started to happen.

Apart from that and the odd power off and back on, the box has been running smootly.

Another question, how many times a month on average would you have to reboot your box cause of freezing or green screen?

I find that sometimes when I an watching a recording and try and fast forward it sometimes crashes! setup for forwarding is (2 4 8 16 32 64 128) Should I change this?

Would this have anything to do with my HDD being powered and about 10 years old? Its a WD 1TB HDD powered by plug.

Thanks,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Would think that the freezing most likely is your hdd. (Think you are using z's backup ) . try checking it in the utlity in spark, just for your own reference)
    Are you using the autotimer plugin for your series link? Check the time settings. I use to get odd results with it (too many , recordings of a show, or recordings ending before the end of the show.) So , ended up not using it as much, but have gone back to it recently. Am just careful about the parameters I use, as am not fully trusting of it. (It let me down badly with love/hate last year. Thought had everything recorded, then when went to view it a few weeks after it finished, found that it missed the last 10 mins of some episodes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Hyperion 5.1 has tested ok on the Alien 1 and Alien 2 so we should expect to see an official release soon .
    Good to see continued support from PKT.

Anywhere a list of improvements etc?

• Advertisement

Slevster wrote: »
    Would think that the freezing most likely is your hdd. (Think you are using z's backup ) . try checking it in the utlity in spark, just for your own reference)
    Are you using the autotimer plugin for your series link? Check the time settings. I use to get odd results with it (too many , recordings of a show, or recordings ending before the end of the show.) So , ended up not using it as much, but have gone back to it recently. Am just careful about the parameters I use, as am not fully trusting of it. (It let me down badly with love/hate last year. Thought had everything recorded, then when went to view it a few weeks after it finished, found that it missed the last 10 mins of some episodes)

I tend to agree with you on HDD. Might invest in this HDD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimline-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B008PABFX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447321181&sr=8-1&keywords=m3+1tb+usb+3.0+slimline

Most of the time when I set it up I do the following:

Favourites - Sports- skysports 1 (press epg and go down to say soccer am) pres green button (Timer and add schedule) Is this the correct way to do it or should I be doing it on Crossepg?

Thanks for the reply,

BobbyT28

Believe me I have tried so many Mips receivers and whilst they have more power the picture quality is not one of their strong points ,which is a bit baffling really as picture quality should be of primary importance.

Thanks for the analysis. You must have a donkey load of remotes lying around!
    Had been toying with the idea of an upgrade, but completely agree with you that pq is the key criteria _ function of a stb. Would like a box with a bit more umph , but not at the expense of pq. (Can live with the aa2 - what you don't have you don't miss and all that).
    Having said that, and in relation to your previous post , is there any box that you would think is worth considering upgrading to?

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    I tend to agree with you on HDD. Might invest in this HDD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimline-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B008PABFX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447321181&sr=8-1&keywords=m3+1tb+usb+3.0+slimline

Most of the time when I set it up I do the following:

Favourites - Sports- skysports 1 (press epg and go down to say soccer am) pres green button (Timer and add schedule) Is this the correct way to do it or should I be doing it on Crossepg?

Thanks for the reply,

BobbyT28

Depends on how your buttons (coloured ones) are set up in your epg. But sounds like you are just adding a one off recording. I think , if memory serves, that if you hold down the green button , it will bring you to the autotimer stteings, where you should have the option to set up repeated recordings, (you can define different parameters for it to look for to set the recordings eg look at rte 1 on Sundays between the hours of 8 and 10 for a program called love hate)

You can change the function of those coloured buttons in the epg by pressing the menu button while in the epg.

There are other ways of adding a series link. But the epg is handy.

Slevster wrote: »
    Depends on how your buttons (coloured ones) are set up in your epg. But sounds like you are just adding a one off recording. I think , if memory serves, that if you hold down the green button , it will bring you to the autotimer stteings, where you should have the option to set up repeated recordings, (you can define different parameters for it to look for to set the recordings eg look at rte 1 on Sundays between the hours of 8 and 10 for a program called love hate)

You can change the function of those coloured buttons in the epg by pressing the menu button while in the epg.

There are other ways of adding a series link. But the epg is handy.

No I have an option to record weekly daily once off etc. Which is why I can't understand why all of a sudden it isn't working. I haven't made any changes that would have caused this.

Baffled!!

Regards,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Is the SKY HD Blue Skin available and fully working on the Hyperion 4.5 image that is posted here?

Also what are the actual differences between Hyperion 4.5 and OpenATV 4.2 and which would be the most stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Anywhere a list of improvements etc?

Was going to ask the same thing. I tend to just leave the box and imagine alone and try not to fiddle. Few times I have, I've made a meal of things :D

Be interested to know those whats coming in this new release, if it's anything substantial.

Since I removed the Sky Blue skin and went to some default one, box is operating a bit snappier and no real issues.

Yes, the sky blue skin is available on 4.5.

Can't remember the actual differences between the images as atv didn't last long in our house, buggy as hell.

Hyperion in a different league imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Need a little help. Running Enigma 2 on the Alien 2 and got a wifi dongle. its the Ralink RT5370 and when i go to plugins and press the green button to download, the option to install drivers isnt there.

Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong? Its connected to the net via a lan

cronin_j wrote: »
    Need a little help. Running Enigma 2 on the Alien 2 and got a wifi dongle. its the Ralink RT5370 and when i go to plugins and press the green button to download, the option to install drivers isnt there.

Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong? Its connected to the net via a lan
    A lot of enigma images (most) aren't properly configured for a wifi dongle to work, better off with a wifi adapter so the box 'thinks' it's wired via Ethernet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

reni10 wrote: »
    Is the SKY HD Blue Skin available and fully working on the Hyperion 4.5 image that is posted here?

Also what are the actual differences between Hyperion 4.5 and OpenATV 4.2 and which would be the most stable?
    In my humble opinion Hyperion 4.5 is more stable

From memory openATV used to have an update almost every week
    the recommended way to upgrade was always to flash the latest update and not to use the online updater

I liked openATV but found the box ground to a halt every few weeks
    and then when flashed it would work ok for another few weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement