Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liverpoolee

Well, same thing that happened with miraclebox is happening on my new alien mini. Box is fail tuning on sky $ channels. Crossepg wont scanned sky uk channels. I'm using Zardoz new 4.5 hyperion image. All is well for 5 minutes then channels tune out. Fta are still ok along with  bt $ channels. Tried the box downstairs where my alien 2 works perfectly and same thing happens using different lnb's.
    Curiously when I boot into spark the sky $ channels stay ok but it won't pick up some Fta channels like bbchd, itvhd. neither image working correctly.
    What I don't get is if it was a new quad lnb that was needed why would my alien 2 and skybox f5s be ok on the same upstairs feed that the alien mini is failing on. I've also used a vix4sh4 image and the same thing is happening.
    Tried all different softcams. Tried everything.
    I just cannot work this one out.
    Any help appreciated. It's driving me insane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

if you update your spark channel list from my updated one i posted a few days back on the spark thread will get your spark channels

ill do another update next week maybe

zardoz image has stopped clearing for a few people now so not just you

whats the best way to go re english dnds for itvplayer in ondemand plugin or is it just handier to use vpn on laptop

Nowso wrote: »
    if you update your spark channel list from my updated one i posted a few days back on the spark thread will get your spark channels

ill do another update next week maybe

zardoz image has stopped clearing for a few people now so not just you
    this is a problem I've been having on different boxes and images though. It's either a fault in the dish or lnb or a setting in enigma. The last box I sent back was tested perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Get a new LNB on your dish so.. nothing to loose, except a few euro. The dish itself might also be a bit rusty. Both have to be replaced eventually.

Flex

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

The dish itself might also be a bit rusty. Both have to be replaced eventually.

Flex
    cheapskate me took the dish down wirebrushed and painted with a tinny of black spray from lidl
    Bored :-)

Nowso wrote: »
    whats the best way to go re english dnds for itvplayer in ondemand plugin or is it just handier to use vpn on laptop

I would imagine smart dns

as vpn will throttle the speed and probably make it unwatchable

• Registered Users Posts: 23 noleybaby

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to install mgcam on Enigma.
    I am looking for the ipk and any instructions anyone can give, just for the install part, i'll figure out the config from there.

Thanks

noleybaby wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to install mgcam on Enigma.
    I am looking for the ipk and any instructions anyone can give, just for the install part, i'll figure out the config from there.

Thanks
    Post number 2 of this very thread describes how to install an IPK

Thanks to champ

Installing IPK files
    If you need to install IPK files, there are two methods.

1. Copy the IPK to maybe the /TMP directory on the box, using Filezilla or some other FTP program. Telnet to the box using PUTTY or some other telnet client and type

sudo su
    cd /tmp
    ipkg install xxxxxxxx.ipk

• Registered Users Posts: 23 noleybaby

Post number 2 of this very thread describes how to install an IPK

Thanks to champ

Installing IPK files
    If you need to install IPK files, there are two methods.

1. Copy the IPK to maybe the /TMP directory on the box, using Filezilla or some other FTP program. Telnet to the box using PUTTY or some other telnet client and type

sudo su
    cd /tmp
    ipkg install xxxxxxxx.ipk

Thanks, sorry I put this in the wrong thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Just in case anyone is looking for a Golden Interstar LX2 XPEED HD there is a used one in good condition available and sold by Amazon Warehouse for €119 delivered to Ireland or €113 delivered to Parcel Wizard if you use one of the free deliveries you get when you register at ParcelWizard!

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B00FYD3ICA/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I also grabbed a cheap USB Terrestrial Tuner so looking forward to getting it now and as it is sold by Amazon they have extended the returns period until 31st Jan so if I don't like it then I can return it for basically free.

Now which is the absolute best image for the LX2? is it VIX?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Well, same thing that happened with miraclebox is happening on my new alien mini. Box is fail tuning on sky $ channels. Crossepg wont scanned sky uk channels. I'm using Zardoz new 4.5 hyperion image. All is well for 5 minutes then channels tune out. Fta are still ok along with bt $ channels. Tried the box downstairs where my alien 2 works perfectly and same thing happens using different lnb's.
    Curiously when I boot into spark the sky $ channels stay ok but it won't pick up some Fta channels like bbchd, itvhd. neither image working correctly.
    What I don't get is if it was a new quad lnb that was needed why would my alien 2 and skybox f5s be ok on the same upstairs feed that the alien mini is failing on. I've also used a vix4sh4 image and the same thing is happening.
    Tried all different softcams. Tried everything.
    I just cannot work this one out.
    Any help appreciated. It's driving me insane.

I've found the Alien Mini does not pick up all the channels as good as the Alien 2 or other boxes...poorer quality tuner maybe??

With it happening for you across a few boxes though I would get your equipment checked out first to make sure everything is OK and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Imstuck wrote: »
    A lot of enigma images (most) aren't properly configured for a wifi dongle to work, better off with a wifi adapter so the box 'thinks' it's wired via Ethernet.

Never had a wifi dongle fail to work on any enigma image

dav32cs wrote: »
    Never had a wifi dongle fail to work on any enigma image

i set up the latest open atv last night to try it out to get the wifi working you need to connect it to ethernet to download the the correct drivers .

a bit silly - then the image fell apart so i reflashed the vix4e2 image

i also loaded a powerboard image no wifi there either and no way to easily set it up so moved on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Slevster wrote: »
    Thanks for the analysis. You must have a donkey load of remotes lying around!
    Had been toying with the idea of an upgrade, but completely agree with you that pq is the key criteria _ function of a stb. Would like a box with a bit more umph , but not at the expense of pq. (Can live with the aa2 - what you don't have you don't miss and all that).
    Having said that, and in relation to your previous post , is there any box that you would think is worth considering upgrading to?

Yes I have loads of remotes.
    I really should start selling off some of my receivers to be honest .

I think if someone is going to upgrade from an Alien 2 ,the Xtrend 8000 is probably the best option.
    The Xtrends have the best picture quality of the Mips receivers (Vu+ are probably the worst) and the 8000 is a very powerful receiver that ticks all the boxes.

dav32cs wrote: »
    I've found the Alien Mini does not pick up all the channels as good as the Alien 2 or other boxes...poorer quality tuner maybe??

With it happening for you across a few boxes though I would get your equipment checked out first to make sure everything is OK and go from there.
    The alien 2 is fine on double lnb feed downstairs and upstairs on single lnb. I've tried alien mini and miraclebox now upstairs and downstairs and both have week signal. It's probably new dish/lnb needed but I can't be arsed. I'm getting an openbox tomorrow to see if that works.
    what I don't understand is that the channels are fine for 4/5 minutes then they pixelate. If it was a week signal surely I wouldn't get anything. And the channels stay on fine on the spark side of the box but the interface is terrible on spark.
    The whole business is doing my nugget in now.

what I don't understand is that the channels are fine for 4/5 minutes then they pixelate. If it was a week signal surely I wouldn't get anything. And the channels stay on fine on the spark side of the box but the interface is terrible on spark.
    The whole business is doing my nugget in now.

When they pixelate does the signal strength drop ?

Alan Higgy had some issues with Hyperion not picking up certain channels on his Alien 1 a while back ,I think they worked on Openatv.

Although you had the same issue with the Miraclebox and the vu+duo so its probably a hardware issue.

It could be an lnb issue,sometimes the vertical polarity channels can not work .
    They need 18v to operate the lnb properly whereas horizontal channels require only 13v.
    Perhaps switch the lnb outputs around or get a new lnb.
    The Aliens might be able to supply a more stable voltage than the other receivers .

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Zardoz wrote: »
    Yes I have loads of remotes.
    I really should start selling off some of my receivers to be honest .

I think if someone is going to upgrade from an Alien 2 ,the Xtrend 8000 is probably the best option.
    The Xtrends have the best picture quality of the Mips receivers (Vu+ are probably the worst) and the 8000 is a very powerful receiver that ticks all the boxes.

Thanks. Looks very interesting. Read the review on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

There's also the XTrend ET10000 that looks like a mean machine. It works out at about €450 which is about 3 x the cost of an Alien 2 mind you. It depends on what you want from your receiver I suppose. I don't like menu lag and the odd freeze up if my Alien 2 is trying to do too many things at once. But I have doubts I really need to pay a lot more for a receiver that will end up giving me a very similar experience to the AA2 overall.

The only thing is hardware transcoding which the XTrend can do.. Being able to stream channels/recordings from your receiver to where ever in the world you happen to be, that's a cool feature people would use if it was easy. Granted it relies on having fast internet upload and download.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Has anybody ever came across an issue where they have the sound from the channels but no picture? The menus are working but just no picture from the channel. I've reinstalled the image but still no joy.

I've been running a stable Enigma 2 image since July and only started having issues last week

Did you resolve this issue? It's only been happening on and off the last few days for me on both my GM triplex and Alien 2 boxes.
    Both on the same image, sky skin.
    Both boxes reboot overnight.

I've tried rebooting etc but it doesn't fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Thought it might be skin related. I get green screen when I try to change skin.

Slevster wrote: »
    Thanks. Looks very interesting. Read the review on the other thread.

You are welcome.
    Btw there is a good thread on the best enigma 2 receivers where people have posted some good buys
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057404110

Zardoz wrote: »
    When they pixelate does the signal strength drop ?

Alan Higgy had some issues with Hyperion not picking up certain channels on his Alien 1 a while back ,I think they worked on Openatv.

Although you had the same issue with the Miraclebox and the vu+duo so its probably a hardware issue.

It could be an lnb issue,sometimes the vertical polarity channels can not work .
    They need 18v to operate the lnb properly whereas horizontal channels require only 13v.
    Perhaps switch the lnb outputs around or get a new lnb.
    The Aliens might be able to supply a more stable voltage than the other receivers .
    just set up an Openbox-V8S and everything is fine and dandy. All channels clearing including hd versions. Picture is perfect. It's a cracking little box actually.
    I would suggest that the alien mini needs a very strong signal to work properly. Its going back anyway.

Anyone have an issue with the SAB triple tuner not tuning in BBC HD 1-4?

All other channels are tuned in but cannot get these in even though have run an autobouteques update and checked the frequency etc and it all looks fine.

All the other channels are available in both Spark and Enigma2 but just not the BBC HD channels!

Anyone any ideas?

3 and 4 wont appear as named channels until after 7pm . all ok on spark on my amiko alen 2 . as i updated the transponders

Even when I manually scan the exact transponder frequency there are no channels found so I am not sure what is going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

reni10 wrote: »
    Even when I manually scan the exact transponder frequency there are no channels found so I am not sure what is going on!
    Make sure you are using 23000 rather than the more common 22000 SR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Anyone using Hyperion 5.0 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Anyone using Hyperion 5.0 yet?

Its not out yet. Should be any day now though since it tested ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

Make sure you are using 23000 rather than the more common 22000 SR

I'm having same issue strangely... HD BBCs won't display. SNR at 0% in infobar too! Sobitsnlikevthervis no signal.

Retuned, full scan Also single transponder but no joy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement