Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Folks,

Next door neighbour wants to get a sat box after seeing my setup. I've recommend the aa2 but just wondering is there another box that would be slightly better?

My worry is that she is not that tech savvy and don't really want to be getting called everytime something happens.

Can you recommend a box for this that runs enigma2. she wants to be able to record and watch TV. AA2 fits the build would like to use this opportunity to test a different box. Budget is €100-130 maybe a little more with a push.

Was looking at the zgemma does anyone have any experience with this?

Regards,
    BobbyT28

Just don't mention that she can run Enigma2 on the box. Straight out of the box Spark is just fine for someone like her!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭deezell

cyndale wrote: »
    Just don't mention that she can run Enigma2 on the box. Straight out of the box Spark is just fine for someone like her!
    ;)

Except for the RTE1+1 crash problem, Spark is fine for starters, as you can have 7 day epg and other linux goodies, with an interface that is very similar to non linux boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

deezell wrote: »
    Except for the RTE1+1 crash problem, Spark is fine for starters, as you can have 7 day epg and other linux goodies, with an interface that is very similar to non linux boxes.

What is the RTE1+1 Crash problem on Spark?

Is there no fix for it?

reni10 wrote: »
    What is the RTE1+1 Crash problem on Spark?

Is there no fix for it?

If you select RTE1+1 while it is off air, box freezes. Channel is shared with RTE Junior, so the reverse is true. I think this is also true for Astra shared channels, such as BBC4 which shares with Cbeebies or CBBC I think? No fix the last i heard
    See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94031652

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

satellite share channels do not crash on spark when they are not transmitting

i just delete rte1+1 and rte junior in my saorview set up

if you just wanna watch tv and record spark is the best set up

just load my channel lists its a lot easier to mantain than an unstable enigma image

• Advertisement

Nowso wrote: »
    satellite share channels do not crash on spark when they are not transmithing.....e
    Correct, memory failure there, I think its terrestrial freeview channels for those in norn iron who also have the problem

deezell wrote: »
    Correct, memory failure there, I think its terrestrial freeview channels for those in norn iron who also have the problem

they would yes on the same tuner . but that signal is not as strong and only available to some and then again a lot wouldnt use them when you have a satellite feed connected

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭swoofer

can anyone confirm if the amiko alien 2 will out put a signal via scart at the same time if hdmi is used? I dont have the box but a poster on sats is having a problem with an rf modulator.

swoofer wrote: »
    can anyone confirm if the amiko alien 2 will out put a signal via scart at the same time if hdmi is used? I dont have the box but a poster on sats is having a problem with an rf modulator.
    Yes, in SD resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

Having an intermittent problem at times on E2 whereby 1/2 of my channels appear greyed out under my favourites and when selected the screen is blank. After a few hours it seems fine again but can be frustrating. I've noticed it mostly with the saorview channels. Has anyone experienced this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Saorview broadcasts 2 groups of channels on 2 freqeuncies known as muxes. Your box can only watch one frequency at a time.
    If you are recording or streaming a channel from Saorview, you will only be able to access other channels from the same mux. E.G. if recording RTÉ1, you can only access UTVi and RTÉ1+1/Jr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

If you were going to upgrade your aa2 what box would you go for?

Friend of mine is looking at getting a sat box similar to my setup, I've had trouble with my aa2 so I was gonna suggest something faster (more flash and ram). What would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance

BobbyT28

Hi,

If you were going to upgrade your aa2 what box would you go for?

Friend of mine is looking at getting a sat box similar to my setup, I've had trouble with my aa2 so I was gonna suggest something faster (more flash and ram). What would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance

BobbyT28

Maybe this needs to be moved to best enigma 2 boxes thread? Sorry if I've gone off subject here.

BobbyT28

;)

I ordered it with enigma 2 preloaded. What's the best way to get the box to only run sparks?

Can she still record and watch a channel get epg and update channels when free is changed?

Is there a noticeable performance improvement when just using sparks? Hope.it is as I don't fancy being tech support!

Thanks for reply
    BobbyT28

I ordered it with enigma 2 preloaded. What's the best way to get the box to only run sparks?

Can she still record and watch a channel get epg and update channels when free is changed?

Is there a noticeable performance improvement when just using sparks? Hope.it is as I don't fancy being tech support!

Thanks for reply
    BobbyT28

Just using Spark is absolutely fine, sometime I wish I had never heard of enigma2. Spark is user friendly, to me picture quality is better than enigma2!

Just using Spark is absolutely fine, sometime I wish I had never heard of enigma2. Spark is user friendly, to me picture quality is better than enigma2!

How do I go about taking enigma off?

What v Rosion of sparks is the latest? Is it easily upgraded?

Can she still record and watch channel at same time? Can she get 7 day egp?

Will the usual plugins be available like in enigma?

Thanks the reply,
    BobbyT28

spark has its own topic . you dont get all the plugins

you can leave enigma on box and boot into spark

there is 7 day epg but not as user friendly

Picture quality is better than enigma

How do I go about taking enigma off?

What v Rosion of sparks is the latest? Is it easily upgraded?

Can she still record and watch channel at same time? Can she get 7 day egp?

Will the usual plugins be available like in enigma?

Thanks the reply,
    BobbyT28

On the Amiko Alien 2 triple tuner
    Power off box (using switch on the back of the box)
    Power back on while pressing in the 'OK' button on front of the box
    This will cause the display on the front of the box to display prefix of the operating system
    Use 'CH-' button to scroll and choose 'Spark'
    Press 'OK' button
    The box will boot up using the Enigma 2 operating system
    Takes 1-2 minutes

On the Amiko Alien 2 triple tuner
    Power off box (using switch on the back of the box)
    Power back on while pressing in the 'OK' button on front of the box
    This will cause the display on the front of the box to display prefix of the operating system
    Use 'CH-' button to scroll and choose 'Spark'
    Press 'OK' button
    The box will boot up using the Enigma 2 operating system
    Takes 1-2 minutes

Thanks.

I know how to boot into sparks had a brain fart there!! I've never used sparks myself for TV. I have all the channels setup like sky so I just use DBE to send channels to my box. Can I do the same when in sparks?

Does auto bouquet Work?

Thanks again.
    BobbyT28

Thanks.

I know how to boot into sparks had a brain fart there!! I've never used sparks myself for TV. I have all the channels setup like sky so I just use DBE to send channels to my box. Can I do the same when in sparks?

Does auto bouquet Work?

Thanks again.
    BobbyT28

Spark is a 'fixed' system you can't do anything with it!

• Advertisement

my channel lists are in the spark thread you can load that if you want

heres a link to spark downloads

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vdcgbqqnhywxao8/AAAUP3hhyz1smLPNuSr_an2Ma?dl=0

Nowso wrote: »
    my channel lists are in the spark thread you can load that if you want

heres a link to spark downloads

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vdcgbqqnhywxao8/AAAUP3hhyz1smLPNuSr_an2Ma?dl=0

Do I need to be on the las test firmware for this? What is the latest firmware for sparks and where do I get it? Is it the same upgrade process as flashing a new image.

Sorry for all the questions but I have never really gone near sparks on for flashing and hdd formatting.

BobbyT28

hit menu - then into spark and load the latest 1.2.80 firmware is the easiest way

Do I need to be on the las test firmware for this? What is the latest firmware for sparks and where do I get it? Is it the same upgrade process as flashing a new image.

Sorry for all the questions but I have never really gone near sparks on for flashing and hdd formatting.

BobbyT28

Spark is not like Enigma2, it is just plug and play software. You can't change anything on it, except to keep the version of Spark up to date. The previous poster has said how you do that. Spark is foolproof, no messing about with it. As I said as far as I am concerned the Spark picture quality is better in HD and SD. Others might disagree!:eek:

there are 2 webtv plugins in my dropbox that allow iptv in the webtv part of networking . some of the channels wouldnt suit your mother though lol

spark pictures are better in hd and sd - its a bit more obvious in sd

Spark is a 'fixed' system you can't do anything with it!
    Hi,

Thanks for the help,

Can you set timers and record and watch a channel though? As that is important to her?.

BobbyT28

yes menu / channel / organise timer

here is the spark thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057246284

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭satelliteman20

I miss sti based pq but the boxes are too slow the most noticable difference with picture quality in spark is less artifacts with motion and hd has higher clarity

in enigma 2 on the broadcom boxes older versions of open atv 4.2 before july 2015 have the best pq because they have boosted the overall contrast with the newer open atv versions after june and it makes sd in particular look worse

it will be interesting to see how the new vu solo 4k compares to both broadcom and sti boxes since it uses an arm processor and it is reported to have a superior picture quality

I now have a duo 2 running open atv 4.2 from early june 2015 and find the pq very good but still falls short compared to the alien 2

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joeyineire

Lads in desperate need of help, can I ask about ccccam here ? I have put the cccam.cfg file into the /etc folder but I have no idea what's next, plugins has nothing there for cccam I even tried to install a cccam extension with no luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Joeyineire wrote: »
    Lads in desperate need of help, can I ask about ccccam here ? I have put the cccam.cfg file into the /etc folder but I have no idea what's next, plugins has nothing there for cccam I even tried to install a cccam extension with no luck

Can't ask about that type of thing here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement