Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭deezell

topper1978 wrote: »
    Similar question to the VPN question - is it possible to configure the box to connect to a proxy server? Can't find anything on the interweb. Has anyone set this up?
    The problem with box and proxy is getting it to work on the device, its usually straightforward on a PC, less so on the box. I don't know if there is a proxy plugin for the box. There is a third method called DNS redirect, which involves configuring your boxes Domain name server to point to an offshore one. This can be a free or paid service. Good link here explains the three methods. http://www.techspot.com/guides/569-access-locked-content-anywhere/
    As you may have to pay for such a service, its worth checking if the on demand provider has a paid version for expats, might be more reliable. Rte player is geo blocked abroad, but they have a subscription version I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Anyone have any problems playing .mkv video files or certain mp4 files on h v4.5 default media player?
    Any media player I could download that supports most codecs?

cork_south wrote: »
    Anyone have any problems playing .mkv video files or certain mp4 files on h v4.5 default media player?
    I've read IPTVPlayer plugin will play everything, 'the VLC of enigma2 ' someone called it. I haven't tried it, but have a go and see. Here's a source. http://www.euro-sat-image.com/extra-addons/index.php?dir=Plugins%20IPTV/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭topper1978

I have found the default mdedia player very buggy when playing MP4 files. No issues the the .ts files. Crashes out with mp4 especially if you try and fast forward. Annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

deezell wrote: »
    I've read IPTVPlayer plugin will play everything, 'the VLC of enigma2 ' someone called it. I haven't tried it, but have a go and see. Here's a source. http://www.euro-sat-image.com/extra-addons/index.php?dir=Plugins%20IPTV/

Thx. Nice app, but it only plays the audio, video is black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience setting up or configuring openvpn client on the pkteam hyperion 4.5 image? I've tried various guides on other forums with no joy. Just wondering if anyone has this set up?

You probably have to install an OpenVPN client on the Alien2. This may not be possible given that the Alien 2 is built on a custom Linux kernel, though worth trying it may not have all the necessary libraries and dependencies. Another option would be to connect a Raspberry Pi to the Alien2 and use Kodi installed on the Pi to browse the epg, stream channels and other stored content... An OpenVPN client can be installed in Kodi. I'm not sure if that would work either since maybe Kodi just serves up content the Alien2 gives it.

Cheers,

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭topper1978

You probably have to install an OpenVPN client on the Alien2. This may not be possible given that the Alien 2 is built on a custom Linux kernel, though worth trying it may not have all the necessary libraries and dependencies. Another option would be to connect a Raspberry Pi to the Alien2 and use Kodi installed on the Pi to browse the epg, stream channels and other stored content... An OpenVPN client can be installed in Kodi. I'm not sure if that would work either since maybe Kodi just serves up content the Alien2 gives it.

Cheers,

Flex
    Hi Flex - the PKteam Hyperion 4.5 image has OpenVPN installed on it. It is how to configure the files that is causing me issues. There do not appear to be any tutorials up on the net. To complicate things different providers have differant configuration files. My VPN provider has advised me to open a ticket with them. Was look for the easy option, in case anyone has already done this, before I go down that route.

Hi Flex - the PKteam Hyperion 4.5 image has OpenVPN installed on it. It is how to configure the files that is causing me issues. There do not appear to be any tutorials up on the net. To complicate things different providers have differant configuration files. My VPN provider has advised me to open a ticket with them. Was look for the easy option, in case anyone has already done this, before I go down that route.

You may need to open ports to the box ip on your router, or enable firewall rules., ask your VPN provider about this.

Thx. Nice app, but it only plays the audio, video is black.

Another option is to install an apple airplay plugin, stream the video from an apple or airplay equipped android device. There's one on that resource site.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nice_day

I've been using the Blackbox app on my iPhone to stream content on the home network. It works great. But I've failed to get it working on an outside network or on 4G. Coming up to Christmas while staying with the in-laws, this would be the dream. I've forwarded the ports. I set up a NO-IP address so I could access my network from an outside network but it didn't work.

I can't find any guide for it. In the plug-in download list on Hyperion, there are a couple of dns plug-ins. I downloaded them but they didn't appear in my plug-in list. When I go to delete apps, I can delete them, but I still can't access them anywhere. Even if I could get into them, I wouldn't know what to do then anyway.

There's very little online about setting this up with an Amiko. I see Deezel posted about it - I'm wondering would you have a guide?

Has anyone set up outside streaming on an AA2 running Hyperion 4.5 and using No-IP or another free DNS service?

Any help would be very appreciated.

• Advertisement

Worth noting that streaming across the net won't work unless you have very good upload speed from your AA2 at home and download speed to your device from where ever you want to stream to. I wouldn't get your hopes up if planning on streaming from Alien2 to a phone via 4G.

What you need to get working first is 'Port Forwarding'. Depending on what router you have the instructions may be a bit different so best to google about that as it applies to your router. Technically speaking you don't need No-ip at all to stream outside your network. That just gives you a no-ip web address to put in your browser instead of having to remember the external ip address of your router. And that ip address may change especially if you re-boot your router.

Basically port forwarding allows your router to map your routers external ip address and a port number to an internal ip address, say of your Alien2 and the port number an application runs on. For instance if you run the OpenWebIf plugin from the plugin menu you can set what ports it runs on then map those ports in the router to external ports and then to access from outside your network you would type something like this in to your browser:

http://[ip address of your router]:[port number]/

Flex

nice_day wrote: »
    I've been using the Blackbox app on my iPhone to stream content on the home network. It works great. But I've failed to get it working on an outside network or on 4G. Coming up to Christmas while staying with the in-laws, this would be the dream. I've forwarded the ports. I set up a NO-IP address so I could access my network from an outside network but it didn't work.

I can't find any guide for it. In the plug-in download list on Hyperion, there are a couple of dns plug-ins. I downloaded them but they didn't appear in my plug-in list. When I go to delete apps, I can delete them, but I still can't access them anywhere. Even if I could get into them, I wouldn't know what to do then anyway.

There's very little online about setting this up with an Amiko. I see Deezel posted about it - I'm wondering would you have a guide?

Has anyone set up outside streaming on an AA2 running Hyperion 4.5 and using No-IP or another free DNS service?

Any help would be very appreciated.
    Do as Flex says, also go through my posts, I've replied on this many times. A few tips. If you have it working internally, that means you can connect the interface and watch the live streams, and also I presume streams from recorded movies. On the box, WebIf is the engine which provides the access for Blackbox, Dreamdroid on Android, and of course the WebIf interface on a PC. WebIf connects at interface on port 80, standard http port, so if this is forwarded on your router to the internal IP of the box, then typeing the external IP of the box into a browser should bring up the WebIf interface. You can test this even on your internal network, as the browser has to send the packets out to what is in effect an external IP address, which it then recognises as the router itself, and then sends them on to the device which accepts port 80 traffic.
    Without port forwarding, typing in your external IP should connect to the user interface of the router itself. Prior to port forwarding, If you have not been able to connect to the routers interface from an outside PC using the routers external IP, this would indicate that your external IP is in fact only visible within your ISP's network. If you can bring up your router's web interface from outside your network, then with port forwarding you should get the WebIf interface. After that, its just a question of configuring BlackBox with the external IP or the No-IP alias.
    For apps like Blackbox or dreamdroid, port 80 is used for the initial interface, and for connecting streams of saved movies, but the default port for live TV is 8001, so you must enter this into the Blackbox/Dreamdroid configuration, and you must also port forward this on your router, as this port will not be set up by the initial interface connection on port 80. Hope you can follow this.
    If all these steps are successful, you should at least be able to test streaming on your home network, but using the external IP/No-IP url to make the connection. If your external IP is a 'true' external IP then the next step is to test it away from home. The interface should work, streaming depends entirely on your upload speed from the router and the download speed to the phone. My upload is only 250-400 KBS, so away from home using wireless to my phone I can just about get sound and 1-2 frames /sec of video on a lo-res image like TV3.
    If your external IP is blocked or 'internalised' on your ISP, you will have to contact them and ask for a visible IP, fixed preferably. The normal test for an external IP is to 'Ping' it from an outside source (ping is a dos command on a PC), but many ISPs block Ping to their client routers' external IP, so your IP may be visible even though it doesn't respond to Ping.
    If you get it to work, final advice is to make sure the box internal IP is fixed, and that that IP can't be allocated to some other device if the box is off. Most routers tend to keep the last used IP allocated to the device anyway. Using No-IP prevents the problem of your external IP changing in the event of the router powering off, provided you have put in your No-Ip details into the router so that it updates the no-IP DNS in the event of an external IP change. Even without external streaming, the interface is priceless for being able to set off remote timers, browse the full epg etc, and the upload speeds are good enough for live radio when abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nice_day

Flex and Deezel, thanks a million for those very detailed posts. I've followed them very close and done what I've had to do. I reckon it might be a case that my external ip is 'internalised'. I'll give the broadband provider a call tomorrow. Much appreciated lads.

deezell wrote: »
    If your external IP is blocked or 'internalised' on your ISP, you will have to contact them and ask for a visible IP, fixed preferably.

I didn't realise some ISPs block access to your routers external IP address. I'm with eir(com) and it's not a problem. It might be some other step nice_day is doing wrong? Who do you get your internet from and out of interest what upload speed do you get?

It may not be as easy as asking for a visible IP and you won't get a fixed IP without paying someone!

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

have flashed v5.1 .
    First impressions are that , there doesn't seem to be alot of change. PQ on sd doesn't see as good (1080i,50hz rgb). Had been using Zardoz's mod on v4.5- so may be not comparing like with like.
    Can record a sat hd (2 hd channels) and watch rte 1 hd on soarview without break up of the screen (was only a quick 5 minute test)
    Sound was fine with PCM output, but did have lag on certain channels when source was ac3 and spdif output - which was an issue on previous versions solved with elf fix. Didnt notice much difference in volume between channels (eg bbc hd and itv sd channels, however, sinse i run sound through an amp, i didn't notice this issue as much as others, so may still be something there)
    As previously mentioned, there is a curious issue with the EPG, with the exit button not actually exiting out of the epg (set it up with the "ok" to zap and exit, which works fine. but to exit from the guide, i need to actually select achannel and press the ok button. even if it was the channel i was currently viewing. Also had to set up the guide with the wee preview window for the zap and exit button to work- but didnt investigate after i set up the buttons to my liking within plugin).
    Got the picons working (not with coolguide). had to apply the same render script for rats updater as per v4.5
    I use a modded pli-hd skin, (had done since v3), which green screens when i try to access the network settings (quirk of the skin)- issue still present.

Overall- doesnt seem to be much difference, except on initial testing, does seem to handle recordings better (recording and viewing soarview issue on v4.5) but PQ (sd) doesn't seem as good, but havent tinkered, so wouldn't condemn it on that score yet.

Have it set up as v4.5 (nearly), so should pass thje familly test, and will leave it running for continuous testing (need to alter the keymap)

I didn't realise some ISPs block access to your routers external IP address. I'm with eir(com) and it's not a problem. It might be some other step nice_day is doing wrong? Who do you get your internet from and out of interest what upload speed do you get?

It may not be as easy as asking for a visible IP and you won't get a fixed IP without paying someone!

Flex
    The 'external' ip of your router can be an internal IP of the ISPs router, just as all your devices have internal IPs. It may also be that port access is blocked to prevent running web servers or the like unless you pay more. I'm with digiweb, 7mbs/500kbs, that's the max my rural phone line can manage,proper external IP and they fixed it on request, no charge. I don't know what the situation is with other providers, fibre providers, tv cable etc, wireless broadband etc, but I know from other fora it's an issue for some. I recall someone with sky broadband had this problem I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I've only tried v5 briefly on the Alien 1 so far ,it seems very similar to v4.5 .
    RTE Player and 1channel dont work in version 5 ,I suspect its a Gstreamer issue which is disappointing.

Memory usage seems to be lower on V5 than V4.5

Regarding picture quality ,it does look slightly poorer but may be the same.
    I have actually reverted to the original Hyperion video.elf file ,the same as Neutrino ,from the modded Hdmu video.elf file I changed to a while back.
    Reason being the hdmu elf file was too noisy on sd channels ,it had too much colour saturation .

This file will fix the Cool Tv exit button problem for you Slevster
    ftp into usr/lib/enigma2/plugins/extensions/CoolTvGuide

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

I followed this guide and it worked LINK

Don't forget to change your DNS to the VPN providers DNS to prevent any DNS leaks you can edit resolv.conf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Looking for a plugin which will allow access to Channel 4's on demand service. Has anyone any suggestions? (I'm running Zardoz's Hyperion 4.5 image.)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Zardoz wrote: »
    I've only tried v5 briefly on the Alien 1 so far ,it seems very similar to v4.5 .
    RTE Player and 1channel dont work in version 5 ,I suspect its a Gstreamer issue which is disappointing.

I have actually reverted to the original Hyperion video.elf file ,the same as Neutrino ,from the modded Hdmu video.elf file I changed to a while back.
    Reason being the hdmu elf file was too noisy on sd channels ,it had too much colour saturation .

Will you you posting a back up of v5 for the alien 2 at all by any chance?

• Advertisement

how.gareth wrote: »
    Will you you posting a back up of v5 for the alien 2 at all by any chance?

I will yes ,I am pretty busy at the moment so I havent had a chance to do it yet but I prefer to iron out the issues first before making a backup .
    Looking for a plugin which will allow access to Channel 4's on demand service. Has anyone any suggestions? (I'm running Zardoz's Hyperion 4.5 image.)

I'm pretty sure that 4OD (4 On Demand) wont work on any receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I will yes ,I am pretty busy at the moment so I havent had a chance to do it yet but I prefer to iron out the issues first before making a backup .

I'm pretty sure that 4OD (4 On Demand) wont work on any receiver

Cheers man, much appreciated as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

That seems to have sorted the exit issue from CoolTVGuide. Only thing is the path (on my box anyway) is
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/CoolTVGuide

but you are allowed the odd typo Zardoz ;) Thanks again for your hard work.

how.gareth wrote: »
    Cheers man, much appreciated as ever

Why not have a go at building yourself. Its pretty straight forward really. If you can make a backup of your current image and use dreambox edit to take a backup of your channels ,(which saves a lot of time), and can use a ftp application, then you will have no problem setting it up.
    After that its just applying the plugins you want. Its a good learning experience, and all here will help with anything if you get stuck.
    Give it a go. It will be like climbing your own Everest (I may be exaggerating that somewhat)

BTW. Ff and rewind are mapped to the ff and rewind buttons in v5.1 out of the box.

Zardoz- did you alter the coolman keymap, or take it from a previous version?
    Also, wrt to the video.elf , did you change on both alien 1 and 2? I hadn't noticed any noise. I know from previous posts that you have changed around your gamma et al settings to get the colour you want. Was it with these enhancements that you noticed noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Samba server not working in hyperion v5.1. It installs but is nowhere to be seen in plugins or blue panel. I imagine this is a bug that will be fixed soon.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Samba server not working in hyperion v5.1. It installs but is nowhere to be seen in plugins or blue panel. I imagine this is a bug that will be fixed soon.

Got it working alright.

Go to blue panel-mounts and go into the samba server. Enter the IP of your box and then run

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Slevster wrote: »
    Got it working alright.

Go to blue panel-mounts and go into the samba server. Enter the IP of your box and then run

Was looking in the network menu in blue panel! Thanks Slevester.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Samba is there by default in >blue panel>mount center

EDIT: Slevester is faster at typing

• Advertisement

Slevster wrote: »

Zardoz- did you alter the coolman keymap, or take it from a previous version?
    Also, wrt to the video.elf , did you change on both alien 1 and 2? I hadn't noticed any noise. I know from previous posts that you have changed around your gamma et al settings to get the colour you want. Was it with these enhancements that you noticed noise?

No I didn't alter the Coolman keymap ,its the same one I was previously using .

Regarding the video.elf files I experimented with the Hdmu video.elf file on both the Alien 1 and 2 .
    Initially I was liking the Hdmu elf as it was a brighter picture (I always felt the Hyperion video.elf gave a duller picture) but after a while I felt that the Hdmu.elf file made the SD channels look poorer as the pixels had too much energy .
    HD channels on the Hdmu elf look better ,the higher contrast makes it have more punch but this higher contrast results in greater noise in SD channels .

Its all personal taste of course and it will vary from tv set to set but as most of my viewing is SD I have gone back to the Hyperion elf and increased my contrast and brightness levels to tweak it.
    I also increased the backlight setting one one of my Plasmas.

You may prefer the Hdmu video.elf (its actually used on Open Atv and Open Ar too) ,its all personal choice but its nice to have a choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement