Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

championc wrote: »
    Hi all

Has anyone any feedback (good or bad) regarding OpenATV 5.1?

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See the Readme file in the download directory **

Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link -

Just flashed it there an hour ago, while the house was empty.

Had been running a Hyperion 4.2 up till now, which the box always seemed to struggle with, & it needed to be rebooted every time I needed to record something.

This OpenATV seems very snappy in comparison.

One thing about OpenATV, though, is that if I change the resolution to match my 720p Samsung, the menus & EPG always get scrambled/pixellated on screen, even though the content is fine. I tried a couple of your previous builds before & it happened to all of them.

Happily, my TV downscales HD content to 720, so I just leave the resolution as you have them set up.

Also, it is a huge improvement on any previous image I've had on for watching Sly stuff. We've really crap broadband, cos we're 8km of copper from the cabinet, so <2Mb but glitching is very significantly reduced.

Anyway, I'm very happy with it so far. Thumbs Up Champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

I am not fully understanding that HD is set to 720p, why is this if one has a 1080p TV and the Amiko is capable of 1080i or 1080p?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭championc

Thanks @denis for the positive feedback. I had a feeling it was a winner but you can never be absolutely 100% sure.

I set the default display to 720p so everyone can get an initial display and then change things as they wish. The last thing you want after flashing an image is to get a black screen and be stumped.

In addition, the image was built with NO hard disk attached, so it won't be in any way tied to my setup in this way either.

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **

Thanks @denis for the positive feedback. I had a feeling it was a winner but you can never be absolutely 100% sure.

I set the default display to 720p so everyone can get an initial display and then change things as they wish. The last thing you want after flashing an image is to get a black screen and be stumped.

In addition, the image was built with NO hard disk attached, so it won't be in any way tied to my setup in this way either.

:confused::P

Can you use the BBC iPlayer or ITV Player with OpenATV V5.1?

• Advertisement

Yes and No.

Yes, you can using the Ondemand plugin.

No you can't unless you have a uk ip address from your ISP or do clever stuff with routers and VPN's

• Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

Best image I've had on this box since I bought it 2 years ago. Absolutely no glitching & I've just checked the kids, who were pulling 2 YouTube feeds at the same time. Herself is well impressed.

Definitely worth handing her the debit card for a half an hour to get her out of the house till you can get this on your Alien/Triplex. 👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Couple of questions about EPG/bouquets/channel ordering.

Am running Hyperion 4.5. Autobouquets has been run and I've also tuned in the Saorview channels and put them all into favourites (they're the only thing in there).

Sometimes I'm 'stuck' in a bouquet, if I pick a sports channel, then when I press enter/EPG, only the sports channels are available - how do I back out of that bouquet and see them all?

Is there any way to put favourites before entertainment so the Saorview channels are at the top of the EPG? Is there any way to remove SD channels for which there's a HD equivalent? Other than just manually editing things, since running autobouquets again will ruin it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Nermal wrote: »
    Couple of questions about EPG/bouquets/channel ordering.

Am running Hyperion 4.5. Autobouquets has been run and I've also tuned in the Saorview channels and put them all into favourites (they're the only thing in there).

Sometimes I'm 'stuck' in a bouquet, if I pick a sports channel, then when I press enter/EPG, only the sports channels are available - how do I back out of that bouquet and see them all?
    This happens when you enter the sports channel by pressing blue and going down to the sports bouquet and selecting the channel you want there. What you need to do if you don't want to get stuck is enter into the channel via the main boquet with all channels in it. Sports channels start at 401. You could enter the channel by typing 401 into the remote either. If you are in the EPG and find yourself "stuck" in sports you can use the left right buttons down the bottom of the remote to navigate through the bouquets.
    Is there any way to put favourites before entertainment so the Saorview channels are at the top of the EPG? Is there any way to remove SD channels for which there's a HD equivalent? Other than just manually editing things, since running autobouquets again will ruin it all.
    Its not possible to put favourites at the tip if using ab as it will throw all the numbering off for the rest of the bouquets. 101 will no longer be bbc1 etc. Which SD channels do you want to get rid of? The HD versions should appear higher up the list when available assuming you have it set that way.

If you manually edit any of the bouquets other than favourites they will revert back once you run ab again. Just something to note about ab.

While most people see the - - Entertainment group as being the top bouquet, the heading of 28.2E UK Bouquets is actually a bouquet too, with the advantage of these channels being numbered 1, 2, 3.. giving quick access to channels in the "old fashioned" way of 1 for BBC1, 2 for BBC2, 3 for UTV, 4 for Channel 4, 5 for RTE1, 6 for RTE2 and so on.

• Advertisement

I keep it simple, I have my own favourites channel list and when I turn the settopbox it defaults to RTE News Now.

I just click the OK button and my list comes up... Terrestrial Channels, followed by all the BBC channels, followed by all the ITV channels, followed by CBS Reality, etc.

This just suits me, fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭deezell

Once you have your own favourites bouquet created it's relatively easy to put it to the top of the bouquets after you run autoboquets. It won't be altered by running ab, just moved below the 28.2 bouquet created by ab. Move it back on top. If you have edited out sd channels from this they remain edited out. I prefer to just scan with a clear before scan and a new satellites.xml file.

Hi all

I uploaded it earlier today and had to revert to Hyperion V4.5.

When I uploaded it, it started ok, then within 5 minutes I started to have problems.

When I pressed menu on the remote the screen image broke up completely and I couldn't get it. I turned off the back and let it restart but again when I pressed the OK button to select a channel it took ages.

At some stage or other in the first hour I had to keep turning off box because it froze.

From an off position it took five minutes to load to get to working normal!

Sorry, just too many issues for me at the moment! Reverted to Hyperion V4.5 and it is stable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gar

Hi guys,

trying to back up my current enigma image in spark before i go playing with 5.1.
    i have navigated to the directory i want to back up to in the plugin and then press green button to back up.
    It completes really quickly and says success. i know somethings wrong! no files in the directory.

Never had any issues before. Spark is up to date. I have never updated the enigma2 update plugin. Should I? and if so where can I find the file.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AlonzoHarris

gar wrote: »
    Hi guys,

trying to back up my current enigma image in spark before i go playing with 5.1.
    i have navigated to the directory i want to back up to in the plugin and then press green button to back up.
    It completes really quickly and says success. i know somethings wrong! no files in the directory.

Never had any issues before. Spark is up to date. I have never updated the enigma2 update plugin. Should I? and if so where can I find the file.

Thanks

I had the same issue yesterday.
    All I did was change the target directory down a few levels and the backup worked.

I had the same issue yesterday.
    All I did was change the target directory down a few levels and the backup worked.

Perfect!!

Thanks!

Hi all

Hi championc,

i put it on last night and seems to be an improvement for me from hyperion 4.2.

issues I have had. using crossepg to update i get a no valid NIM found. i press epg button on remote and there is an epg there so i am not complaining.
    it is pointed to my hard disk in config.
    it slowed up a bit on my while throwing channels back and forth. i guessing that was to do with openwebif and ftp going and me pressing buttoins on the remote.
    it is a bit more sensitive to the saorview signal. using an internal antenna and had to do a bit of manuvering to stop picture breaking up. saying that i have a great picture with a SNR of 24%!

i do think the picture is better.

Will get the litmus test this evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Hi Championc. Gave it a shot but hangs on boot at 49%. It keeps flashing the boot screen and then blue as if trying different settings but no further. Tried unplugging HDD in case that was it but no joy. It's possible there is a subtle hardware difference between our boxes as I seem to remember issues before with your backups on my box.

gar wrote:
    Will get the litmus test this evening...

Interesting code word to use:) If it passes, you may even earn a brownie point - although many have possibly been more familiar with the "could you not have done that 3 months ago" retort !!!

Interesting code word to use:) If it passes, you may even earn a brownie point - although many have possibly been more familiar with the "could you not have done that 3 months ago" retort !!!

I hope you weren't offended by my comments when I tried your image. For some strange reason your OpenATV 5.1 image just caused problems from the moment I flashed it. I 'felt' something was wrong from the moment I tried to use it.

Is there a way to clear a previous image completely before flashing a new one. Or is it just a case of flashing the new image over the old one.

Of all the images I have flashed this one didn't work from the getgo!

I was really disappointed, was looking forward to giving it a spin!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Hi all

I gave your Sab image a quick go while the house was empty and it booted up with no problems, nice and fast. had all my channels up and running, only thing it is missing for me is sky skin, memory usage was the same as hyperion 5. Thanks all your hard work as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

I'm running Zardoz original 4.5 & recently installed new XML file but it didn't help with certain channels.
    For example, there are two 'sports' folders, one under 28.2 bouquets and another two pages down below the 'general' folder.
    Now between the two of them I have every channel there is but in the 'bouquets/ sports I have lfctv and sky box office, that are t in the other sports folder, whilst there are a few channels that are vice versa in those two folders.
    Any idea why??
    An autobouquets setting perhaps?

Also, what would cause soarview to pixelate when recording on sat?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

vlcsnap-2016-01-05-21h16m06s200_zpswjpr1pna.jpg

Anybody recognize this fixtures stream from a sports plugin

i looking to identify it and get a get a new update etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

how.gareth wrote: »
    I gave your Sab image a quick go while the house was empty and it booted up with no problems, nice and fast. had all my channels up and running, only thing it is missing for me is sky skin, memory usage was the same as hyperion 5. Thanks all your hard work as usual
    How did u flash it. It caused my amiko 8900 to not boot

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

massy086 wrote: »
    How did u flash it. It caused my amiko 8900 to not boot

I thought the 8900 used a different image?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

8900 is single tuner yes

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Running Hyperion 4.5 on Amiko Alien 2 and wondering if there is any way to set where the Saorview EPG data is stored.
    It uses the EIT EPG data to populate the EPG.
    This works fine except that the Saorview EPG is empty every time the box boots. I guess it is storing the guide in SWAP.
    Would ideally like to store the guide on HDD similar to how CrossEPG works. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Nowso wrote: »
    8900 is single tuner yes
    I flashed this
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image

cyndale wrote:
    I hope you weren't offended by my comments when I tried your image. For some strange reason your OpenATV 5.1 image just caused problems from the moment I flashed it. I 'felt' something was wrong from the moment I tried to use it.

It's important for people to let others know about potential issues. What version of box do you have ? By any chance are you on a GM Triplex?

I created it on an AA2+ and loaded it onto my Dads AA2 without issue. Looks like the SAB one is fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

Just to give my tuppence worth I've an older AA2(Not the + model) and for some reason have never had much success running your OpenATV images. It will always boot but becomes unstable typically it will lock up or suffer audio drop outs and occasionally green screen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement