Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

dav32cs wrote: »
    Works with OpenATV and OpenVix 100%.

May work with other images too but it hasn't been (or won't be) checked and tested.

Just would have to install it and see if any issues.

Im using it on the solo2 and its only compatible with open atv and vix also it causes crashes on some other images and won't install on the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Tuesday13 wrote: »
    Ok cool , I've done that(I think), so how do I browse the shared files now via NFS? sorry for all the Qs, spent a couple of hours trying to find the files and tinkering but to no avail. I have attached a JPEG of my configurations. Also Deezell, I wasn't able to see your attachments.

Can't see yours either. The drive should show up as HDD or what ever name you mounted it as in the add new network share drive. I dont have a second box to experiment with, but I did get my box to see another pen drive which was plugged into my router which has a file share built into it. It was using CIFS which is a little different, but NFS should be straightforward. Pity I cant see the screenshots. Don't forget to set to enable the ACTIVE menu item. The drive should appear as the name you give it in Local Share Name. You should be able to find it using DCC, or under list of storage devices in Media Player. Server share should be the path you set in the exports file line. I'll try sharing my own HDD and see if I can pick it up on an android device or somthing that is NFS capable. Windows isn't unless you have some higher end version of it. Comments from boarders who have an NFS share running from their main box are welcome.

Ok cool , I've done that(I think), so how do I browse the shared files now via NFS? sorry for all the Qs, spent a couple of hours trying to find the files and tinkering but to no avail. I have attached a JPEG of my configurations. Also Deezell, I wasn't able to see your attachments.

Further to this, you can go to setup/system/network/network browser and here you will see any shares available on your network.. Your server box should appear here, you select and click ok to get its details. Also an expert mode, it has an NFS scan on the green button, I don't have a NFS device sharing to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭aireng

Can anyone help with this?
    aireng wrote: »
    Hi guys. My box has started defaulting to the volume right down. Auto volume was turned off so i don't think its that. Also how do you make cool guide time devisions default to a certain value. Mine keeps only showing 1 15 minute interval. Ive to keep pushing 3 to make it the right interval. Ive got freshpots hyperion 4.5 installed. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

deezell wrote: »
    Further to this, you can go to setup/system/network/network browser and here you will see any shares available on your network.. Your server box should appear here, you select and click ok to get its details. Also an expert mode, it has an NFS scan on the green button, I don't have a NFS device sharing to try it out.

I can't get my NFS share to appear via netwrok browser on the client box, is there any way of verifying on the host box that NFS is up and running?

Also, my boxes have dynamic IPs, my host box changed over night , I assume dynamic IPs should be fine as long as I keep the configurations updated with current IPs.

• Advertisement

I can't get my NFS share to appear via netwrok browser on the client box, is there any way of verifying on the host box that NFS is up and running?

Also, my boxes have dynamic IPs, my host box changed over night , I assume dynamic IPs should be fine as long as I keep the configurations updated with current IPs.

Ip shouldn't affect the server line in exports, it just lists the subnet that has access. I assume both boxes are on the same subnet, identical first three ip address bytes. You can use a line with just an asterisk for the network, which is the same. Here's an alternative line,
    /media/hdd *(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
    You can look up the meaning of the arguments at the end. Have you tried to manually add the server on the client using the known client IP? I've had no problem discovering cifs shares from the router, a networked printer an a pc share. I don't have a Linux device to create an NFS share on to test. I'm assuming NFS is installed as the Exports file is present in the image, but I'lI look into this. The other NFS menu items are for client config, they don't indicate the presence of the NFS server. Another way to share is to install Samba, which I think is to facilitate cifs sharing.

Just a thought on the above, I wonder is NFS limited to sharing Unix formatted drives, ext2 etc. What is your hdd format.

Ip shouldn't affect the server line in exports, it just lists the subnet that has access. I assume both boxes are on the same subnet, identical first three ip address bytes. You can use a line with just an asterisk for the network, which is the same. Here's an alternative line,
    /media/hdd *(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
    You can look up the meaning of the arguments at the end. Have you tried to manually add the server on the client using the known client IP? I've had no problem discovering cifs shares from the router, a networked printer an a pc share. I don't have a Linux device to create an NFS share on to test. I'm assuming NFS is installed as the Exports file is present in the image, but I'lI look into this. The other NFS menu items are for client config, they don't indicate the presence of the NFS server. Another way to share is to install Samba, which I think is to facilitate cifs sharing.

The HDD is ext3. Both boxes are on the same subnet yeah, the enigma 2 imaged was cloned from one box to the other also. I've tried adding the server on the client yeah via the network browser(expert) but no luck. I'll try the other export line that u have provided. I might plug the hdd into the router if all else fails and see how that works....thanks again for the continued suggestions.

The HDD is ext3. Both boxes are on the same subnet............ I might plug the hdd into the router if all else fails and see how that works....thanks again for the continued suggestions.
    Lots of blogs out there with failure issues. Some say service needs to be restarted, telnet ' /etc/init.d/nfsserver restart' is one suggestion, though on my box it doesn't exist, I have nfs-kernel-server, so I tried /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart. It kicked off, Reported a lot of missing files, so I doubt if nfs is actually running, just the cifs service. I've no box to run a client on, though it should maybe report itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

Wow that skin looks really good, would it work for Hyperion 4.5?

Wow DKane - cheers for tip-off of that image.

Slyk HD image is great! I'm using OpenVix and it makes the DefAult Blue HD skin look like a really poor rip- off.

Hats off to Kiddec for pulling that image off. It was updated yesterday for those who are interested. He's also made done sweet customisation as really easy to do by editing xml files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

I can't get my NFS share to appear via network browser on the client box...
    Another way to share is to install Samba, which I think is to facilitate cifs sharing.

Ages ago I was playing around with a Raspberry Pi and OpenElec (now referred to as Kodi). I had the Pi running that slimmed down Mediserver Linux distro and it was connected to one TV. I had an external hard drive connected to the Alien 2 that I used to make recordings. The Alien 2 had Samba Server installed and running and I was able to stream the recordings from the hard drive connected to the Alien2 across the network to the Pi and watch on a different TV.

That Samba Server on the Alien2 also lets me browse the hdrive contents from my laptop over Wifi. So I'm thinking you could probably have Samba Server running on your Alien2 that has the hard-drive attached and mount those shares on a second box that's on the same network using a PKT Hyperion image Blue Panel.

Some instructions on how to install Samba Server on an Alien2 are to be found here.

This forum has the Unix incantation I used to mount the Samba share from the Alien 2 to OpenElec on the Pi.

Here is a Samba Wiki page explaining the incantations.

May the force be with you.

Flex

Ages ago I was playing around with a Raspberry Pi and OpenElec (now referred to as Kodi). I had the Pi running that slimmed down Mediserver Linux distro and it was connected to one TV. I had an external hard drive connected to the Alien 2 that I used to make recordings. The Alien 2 had Samba Server installed and running and I was able to stream the recordings from the hard drive connected to the Alien2 across the network to the Pi and watch on a different TV.

That Samba Server on the Alien2 also lets me browse the hdrive contents from my laptop over Wifi. So I'm thinking you could probably have Samba Server running on your Alien2 that has the hard-drive attached and mount those shares on a second box that's on the same network using a PKT Hyperion image Blue Panel.

Some instructions on how to install Samba Server on an Alien2 are to be found here.

This forum has the Unix incantation I used to mount the Samba share from the Alien 2 to OpenElec on the Pi.

Here is a Samba Wiki page explaining the incantations.

May the force be with you.

Flex

Sounds like a plan Flex, NFS should be simpler box to box, no passwords etc, but no joy for Tuesday13 so far. I don't have a second unix/linux box or device to use as a share to test, though I might tinker with an old desktop to see if I can install NFS sharing on it, it has windows pro. Meantime, I looked again at the setup for NFS on my box, Zardoz hyperion image. There are two NFS scripts in /etc/init.d, one is nfs-common, the other is nfs-kernel-server. From a tutorial on the digitalocean site I learned that the first only is required to be running for the client to operate, obviously the second is required for the host or server. Other blogs state you cant rely on the common or server script to autostart, so just in case, telnet '/etc/init.d/nfs-common restart 'on the client and also '/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart' on the host. I tried this, This attempt went smooth, previously had flagged missing directories, but I ran nfs-common first on the host. The only flag raised was the keyword 'soft' in the line in the file ètc/exports. I had given the line
    /media/hdd/ 192.168.1.0/24(rw,soft,upd,nolock)
    as one to use, but this version of nfs is trimmed, it can't interpret the keyword 'soft' (it helps to stop hangs between server client), so perhaps the default line
    /hdd *(rw,sync,no-subtree_check) is the one to use in exports. The asterisk instead of an IP range just leaves the server open to all requests from clients, not a security issue unless you have external access to your box open on the correct ports. To summarise, change the exports line to this one, restart nfs-common on both, restart the nfs-kernel-server, then see if the drive shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Samba server is installed by default in Hyperion but not activated.

BLUE PANEL > MOUNT CENTER > SMB SERVER

Hit SAVE SETTINGS first or you will get an error saying 'cant find config file'. Save creates the config file. Then RUN. It should start with the box by default from then onwards. You should then be able to access your HDD from any networked device.

Samba server is installed by default in Hyperion but not activated.

BLUE PANEL > MOUNT CENTER > SMB SERVER

Hit SAVE SETTINGS first or you will get an error saying 'cant find config file'. Save creates the config file. Then RUN. It should start with the box by default from then onwards. You should then be able to access your HDD from any networked device.
    Simplest solution, I'm like a dog with a bone once i got digging in NFS. Save default settings, exit and back to Samba, click green button to run, exit, go to "Network Browser" beside the Samba icon, yellow button to do a rescan and the box appears on itself, so it should pop up on any other box on the same network. Click to expand, ignore username/password, then click to mount share. Brilliant. Doing this remotely using WebIf, so I'll wait till home to find it on a PC client. NFS sucks, Tuesday13 this should sort you out. You might want to change the path to hdd/movies if thats your record directory for convenience

Simplest solution, I'm like a dog with a bone once i got digging in NFS. Save default settings, exit and back to Samba, click green button to run, exit, go to "Network Browser" beside the Samba icon, yellow button to do a rescan and the box appears on itself, so it should pop up on any other box on the same network. Click to expand, ignore username/password, then click to mount share. Brilliant. Doing this remotely using WebIf, so I'll wait till home to find it on a PC client. NFS sucks, Tuesday13 this should sort you out. You might want to change the path to hdd/movies if thats your record directory for convenience

Deezell/Gerry/Flex......glad to report that the samba server is up and running and I can watch my recordings on the client box seemlessly.....very very happy with this, another little nugget on this box. Thanks to all for the suggestions and support with this, well worth it in the end and educational along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

I cannot get Autobouquets to give a sensible channel order. +1 channels are often higher up the list than normal ones. Anyone care to share their settings? Is it worth manually customising after running autobouquets or are channel moves so frequent that it's pointless?

Nermal wrote: »
    I cannot get Autobouquets to give a sensible channel order. +1 channels are often higher up the list than normal ones. Anyone care to share their settings? Is it worth manually customising after running autobouquets or are channel moves so frequent that it's pointless?
    I
    It'possible to configure ab to do swaps after running, there is a file that can be edited. You might want to put your terrestrial Rtes first etc. It's in the forum here somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mrbloop

Hi all,

anybody else notice that Hyperion runs more smoothly with the Sky Blue skin on it?
    I have used both Zardoz's and Fresh Pot's backups and both of these seem to be more responsive when that skin is on.

However, I'm not too fond of having the Sly logos. Can I just simply ftp in to the box and remove any of these and all will be well? Or, will this corrupt the image?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Anyone having problems with RTE2 HD.
    Tried running autobouquets and a scan but RTE2HD giving me either a 'Service not found' or else just a black screen.

Any advice?

I'd rather watch the match on BBC rather than watch in SD.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

rte2 hd not clearing anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Nowso wrote: »
    rte2 hd not clearing anymore

Thanks, was not aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

Nermal wrote: »

Click on the OK button to get all the channels showing.

Select the channel you want to move, then click on Menu, scroll down the menu and you will seen enable move, click ok, click ok again now you will be able to move that channel up or down, when you have the channel where you want it, click ok again and it will stay there.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

Has anyone got a copy of Fresh Pots' Hy 4.5 image with 28.2 scanned ? I've scanned and got about 1000 channels but they just won't save. I can save OK by doing individual channel frequencies, but I'll be there forever doing this

championc wrote: »
    Has anyone got a copy of Fresh Pots' Hy 4.5 image with 28.2 scanned ? I've scanned and got about 1000 channels but they just won't save. I can save OK by doing individual channel frequencies, but I'll be there forever doing this

Are they not all sitting in the bouquet 'last Scanned '? From where you copy and paste to favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Couple of problems I'm hoping you guys can assist with:

1. Box set up with a WiFi dongle that I got off freetv.ie It works fine for downloading the EPG but nothing else that requires internet access. When I go into the setup/system/network folder the box sees nothing. And some plugins when launched, e.g RTE player, cause a green screen and shuts down. When I connect up an Ethernet cable the internet based plugins work fine. This just makes no sense to me!

2. Recording- I have a 500gb hard drive set up. The drive is a few years old but it was hardly ever used. The quality of the recordings was really poor, skipping constantly and basically unwatchable. So I decided to do a thorough reformat, took over 4 hours! Initially thought that it fixed the problem but if you try to record sport, or any two things at once, it performs really badly. It's like the hard drive can't cope with the amount of information coming at it.

<removed- double post>

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Couple of problems I'm hoping you guys can assist with:

1. Box set up with a WiFi dongle that I got off freetv.ie It works fine for downloading the EPG but nothing else that requires internet access. When I go into the setup/system/network folder the box sees nothing. And some plugins when launched, e.g RTE player, cause a green screen and shuts down. When I connect up an Ethernet cable the internet based plugins work fine. This just makes no sense to me!

2. Recording- I have a 500gb hard drive set up. The drive is a few years old but it was hardly ever used. The quality of the recordings was really poor, skipping constantly and basically unwatchable. So I decided to do a thorough reformat, took over 4 hours! Initially thought that it fixed the problem but if you try to record sport, or any two things at once, it performs really badly. It's like the hard drive can't cope with the amount of information coming at it.

your box isnt connected you need to activate the correct drivers . in the bluepanel . there are posts on it earler

2 go into spark and format your hdd to ext3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The EPG comes from a satellite transponder, does not need an internet connection.

The EPG comes from a satellite transponder, does not need an internet connection.

Thanks for the very fast replies folks! Surprised by this one. I thought the now and next came off the satellite but the 7-day epg was a download?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 mrbloop

championc wrote: »

I used this image for most of last year so I think I have a backup here somewhere. I'll find it and update the channel list and get it to you later.

(I think I need 50 posts to put up a link!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement