Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

mrbloop wrote: »
    I used this image for most of last year so I think I have a backup here somewhere. I'll find it and update the channel list and get it to you later.

(I think I need 50 posts to put up a link!)

I can upload one tonight if its still a problem, champ has contacted me on another forum and i've asked him to do a Autobouquets scan with NIT scan turned on, if this fails then there must be a problem somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

I know this is slightly off topic but I know some of you lads own the alien mini or 8900.
    I have it stuck in boot going to enigma. It goes into spark OK. I flashed using the front force method as there are no plugins in spark. U LD kept flashing then it finished with a stagnant U on display, I presumed it had flashed correctly.
    Any help or ideas appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Imstuck wrote: »
    I know this is slightly off topic but I know some of you lads own the alien mini or 8900.
    I have it stuck in boot going to enigma. It goes into spark OK. I flashed using the front force method as there are no plugins in spark. U LD kept flashing then it finished with a stagnant U on display, I presumed it had flashed correctly.
    Any help or ideas appreciated!!

You sure you're using a correct image. Try a different USB key.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

You sure you're using a correct image. Try a different USB key.

install the plugns into spark its the best way to do it

ill have an 8900 spark channel list in a day or 2 if u wana add that 2

How do I install spark plugins Nowso? Where do I get them from?

Used same usb as I did on aa2, so don't think that's the problem, the image was one zardoz had, but not sure if xml file is up to date, anyone have one that is???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Hi. Anyone know if you can use wifi dongle with hyperion 4.5 Sab triple tuner

All sorted now fellas thanks. Used a different file and it worked a treat. It's an old autobouquets so just scanned and rearrange myself, and replaced xml file.
    Hopefully jobs a good un

Imstuck wrote: »
    How do I install spark plugins Nowso? Where do I get them from?

Used same usb as I did on aa2, so don't think that's the problem, the image was one zardoz had, but not sure if xml file is up to date, anyone have one that is???

you should still install spark plugins its easier to reflash etc

there in my dropbox ive posted all over the place , add the plugin folder to root of usb , put it and , and when pop up shows do you want to update your plugins select yes

ill add a 8900 channel list in a day or so handy to upload 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Hi. Anyone know if you can use wifi dongle with hyperion 4.5 Sab triple tuner
    You can, you must install the correct drivers first, it's problematic and one of the reasons most users prefer to used homeplugs or a wifi extender. These are plug and play usually, and the box does not have the extra processing load of wifi, it assumes a wired connection. Search this thread for info on drivers, suitable dongles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Anyone else experiencing EPG issues the last few days?
    My EPG is blank other than now and next.

I've tried force reloading Cross EPG downloader.
    It seems to run but just brings me back to the plugin screen. I haven't changed anything on the box recently. Very confused by it.
    Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It seems to run but just brings me back to the plugin screen. I haven't changed anything on the box recently. Very confused by it.

Thanks.
    Funny enough I was going to ask a similar Q. Lately I'm finding a lot of overlapping data and gaps. I've tried deleting the CrossEPG folder and data file from my HDD and forcing it to download again which sometimes fixes it. Today I can't find where it has put the data file even though I didn't change any settings. Most peculiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

is there still a firmware thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bren.ryan

Hi, got an alien 2 box last year, been using spark since coz i gave up on setting up enigma2, thought it was about time I got the finger out and set it up! Is it possible to set up a TV guide as simple as soarview first, then just freesat channels, along with the 7day EPG and all that goes with it? Its running e2 openatv 4.2. Be great if someone could help, Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bren.ryan wrote: »
    Hi, got an alien 2 box last year, been using spark since coz i gave up on setting up enigma2, thought it was about time I got the finger out and set it up! Is it possible to set up a TV guide as simple as soarview first, then just freesat channels, along with the 7day EPG and all that goes with it? Its running e2 openatv 4.2. Be great if someone could help, Thanks!

My advice would be to ditch open atv and start off with hyperion 4.5 if you look up zardoz image in the firmware thread or the other one from freshpots they are both really stable and zero crashes and green screens. Just my opinion but I steered clear of open atv when I had the amiko.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

phobia2011 wrote: »
    is there still a firmware thread?
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057378184

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

bren.ryan wrote: »

Pretty straigt forward no matter which version of enigma 2 you are using be it openatv hyperion open arp open pli
    Download a utility called dreamboxedit
    http://dreamboxedit.com/category/download/win-download/

you can edit your boquet ( channel list ) and arrange you channels in whatever order you like sourview first the bbc then itv
    Whatever order you fancy
    You can remove the other boquets and just have 1 if you like

There is also the option to use webif ( built in browser on alien 2 )
    just type in the ip address of your box and edit away
    Very very easy

Thanks.
    If you lost connection to your HDD or usb drive where you store your epg, the box may have deafulted the storage back to flash, which fills up. check storage locations in cross config.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks.
    Funny enough I was going to ask a similar Q. Lately I'm finding a lot of overlapping data and gaps. I've tried deleting the CrossEPG folder and data file from my HDD and forcing it to download again which sometimes fixes it. Today I can't find where it has put the data file even though I didn't change any settings. Most peculiar.
    deezell wrote: »
    If you lost connection to your HDD or usb drive where you store your epg, the box may have deafulted the storage back to flash, which fills up. check storage locations in cross config.

Ya. Same problems here. It's a massive pain in the h0le.
    2 or 3 times a week it will freeze during the EPG update. More often than not the box needs to be restarted. It'd do your nut in.
    It is always saving to the external USB I have connected though and not the internal hard drive.
    And still looking for a plugin that'll properly play MKV files. I've ended up hooking up a Sumvision Cyclone 2 to the TV because the MKV playback on the Alien was so hit and miss.

try boot into spark to play the Mkv file

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

G1032 wrote: »
    2 or 3 times a week it will freeze during the EPG update. More often than not the box needs to be restarted. It'd do your nut in.
    It is always saving to the external USB I have connected though and not the internal hard drive.
    And still looking for a plugin that'll properly play MKV files. I've ended up hooking up a Sumvision Cyclone 2 to the TV because the MKV playback on the Alien was so hit and miss.

I have tried a lot of images and know exactly how you feel. I downloaded Freshpots Hyperion V4.5 nearly a year ago and I have to say it is the most consistent, reliable and useable image I have used to date.

Picture quality excellent, no problems with epg and no green screens, how good is that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

cyndale wrote: »
    I have tried a lot of images and know exactly how you feel. I downloaded Freshpots Hyperion V4.5 nearly a year ago and I have to say it is the most consistent, reliable and useable image I have used to date.

Picture quality excellent, no problems with epg and no green screens, how good is that!

PS: I don't mess around with plug-ins or any extras!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Only time my box ever froze on epg update was on open atv, never did it on hyperion or any the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Try creating a swap file and also disabling anything apart from EIT in your EPG settings. Not much else you can do apart from keeping the plugins to a minimum or trying a different image

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

dkane wrote: »
    I've been using the image for the past 5 hours and have seen this happen twice.
    I am not able to consistently reproduce it and when it does happen there is a simple fix.
    Otherwise the image is very stable and working well.

Put this image on my Amiko Alien 2 and it runs great, first time using autoboquets which organises the channels great too.
    Having the same issue when changing channel, happens basically every time.
    Can quickly fix it by pressing Up and then exit which isn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

dav32cs wrote: »
    Try creating a swap file and also disabling anything apart from EIT in your EPG settings. Not much else you can do apart from keeping the plugins to a minimum or trying a different image
    I had major issues getting the EPG to work properly awhile back, turns out I was using a backup of the Hyperion V4.5 image that had the LNB configured to multi instead of single in the tuner setup menu, I put it back to single & all went fine,...just a hunch;)

While sitting back watching the news while keeping an eye on an FA cup match stream on my phone, and recording another channel, I was struck by this massive new ad from sky for "fluid viewing". WTF is that I thought, so I googled "WTF is sky fluid viewing" and got a hit (including the WTF, BTW). It's an amazing new service, you can record several channels while watching another, and you can stream to one (1 only) device as well, all for only €55 a month, an extra 25 over the (very) basic sub. Installation is €100 if you already have Sky broadband, otherwise its €250!! Wow! Pony up €67 a month for the Silver version and you can record and stream an extra channel each. You can kick off recordings remotely but only up to a half hour before, and keep them, but only for a week, then they're deleted automatically. We should all rush out and subscribe, I mean it must be great to be able to record, and timeshift, and pause, and stream and fork out €800 a year (plus 250 to "install"). Nice ad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

RonnieL wrote: »
    I've been searching through settings and googling but I can't seem to figure out how to connect to my webif interface using a host name. The IP address of my box changed a couple of times, so I'd like to be able to connect to webif using a host name. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Anyone have any pointers on this? I've tried several options, but no joy. Ideally I'd be able to connect to the box by name. I've found places (in the webif plugin config itself, and mount manager) to change names, but no matter what I still can't connect to the open webif interface with http://<name>:<port&gt;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

Anyone have any pointers on this? I've tried several options, but no joy. Ideally I'd be able to connect to the box by name. I've found places (in the webif plugin config itself, and mount manager) to change names, but no matter what I still can't connect to the open webif interface with http://<name>:<port&gt;

just out of curiosity
    Why a name
    Why not just assign a fixed ip address and save it as a favorite in your browser
    ive been using a fixed ip on mine for well over a year now with no issues
    Is there a particular service you like to use that needs a name ?
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

just out of curiosity
    Why a name
    Why not just assign a fixed ip address and save it as a favorite in your browser
    ive been using a fixed ip on mine for well over a year now with no issues
    Is there a particular service you like to use that needs a name ?
    j

Fixed IP would do the trick either. How do I make that happen? I assumed the router was responsible for assigning IP's?

• Advertisement

Fixed IP would do the trick either. How do I make that happen? I assumed the router was responsible for assigning IP's?

Fix the box ip in network settings. Change from dynamic (DHCP) to fixed. Use the ip already assigned by dhcp as the fixed, use the info to get this. This will always be assigned to the box by the router unless box is powered off and router is visited by new devices after a reboot. You can config most routers to allocate ip ranges to fixed / dynamic, or an ip to a specific device or Mac address ( the device hardware ID). A url or web name /address can't be assigned by a device (## see footnote ) this is done by an outside service such as No-ip, which allocates a web address, ( say ronniesbox.ddns.net) to translate, via another service know as DNS, domain name server, to your ip address. This only works for ip address outside of your local area network or lan, so its only needed for connecting to the box from outside of your house, but will work internally once set up. You can set up dynamic name hosting in your router, whereby the routers non fixed external ip address is always mapped to your choice of url. To get to the webif of your box using this url, you have to forward the http port 80 of the box to the same or another port no on the outside, otherwise you will only see possibly the Web interface of the router, though some routers will just automatically forward port 80 traffic to an internal device that has port 80 open, such as webif on the box. I think webif has to be turned on, or is on by default. Check it's config first, to make sure, and that it's using port 80 to serve. It's well worth the effort, as it allows name based access to the box and other devices such as ipcams from outside. Setting timers, using drewmbox edit, all possible away from home

## though it is possible to access a device in an internal lan by its Hostname, this is generally limited to devices running WINS or NetBios. See this for a more technical discussion.
    https://www.devside.net/wamp-server/accessing-websites-on-a-local-network-lan-web-server

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement