Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Optus C1 at 156.0°E is Australian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

I wonder why it's on the default list, but then thats probably because of the manner in which these sats provide EPG data. Foxtel in Oz must supply EPG in the same way as Sky. Freesat and Sky epgs have always been proprietary systems. Theres no good reason why the data could not have been attached the the channel streams, except to steer people towards vendor specific boxes. I love the way linux and the ingenuity of open source coders can overcome this. Its not that many years ago the RTE took a case that the weeks TV schedule was copyright information, which could only be published in the RTE guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

deezell wrote: »
    I wonder why it's on the default list, but then thats probably because of the manner in which these sats provide EPG data. Foxtel in Oz must supply EPG in the same way as Sky. Freesat and Sky epgs have always been proprietary systems. Theres no good reason why the data could not have been attached the the channel streams, except to steer people towards vendor specific boxes. I love the way linux and the ingenuity of open source coders can overcome this. Its not that many years ago the RTE took a case that the weeks TV schedule was copyright information, which could only be published in the RTE guide.

Yes 156.0°E was on default list. I often wondered why it was there.

On another note I had to upload a new image today as my box kept returning to internal flash. It had my head done in over the last week with crashes. So uploaded new image and it recognized it straight away and did not revert back to internal flash when I backed out.

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Yes 156.0°E was on default list. I often wondered why it was there.

On another note I had to upload a new image today as my box kept returning to internal flash. It had my head done in over the last week with crashes. So uploaded new image and it recognized it straight away and did not revert back to internal flash when I backed out.

Often the best cure, flash it out. Did you manage to get 19.2 and Hotbird EPGs.? According to other blogs many channels on 19.2 carry their own full day/several days epg, not just now/next, which should display without cross downloader, rather like saorview epg.

Often the best cure, flash it out. Did you manage to get 19.2 and Hotbird EPGs.? According to other blogs many channels on 19.2 carry their own full day/several days epg, not just now/next, which should display without cross downloader, rather like saorview epg.

Yes 19.2e is fine up to 7 days. But why I asked for 19-13e EPG is 13e will load when you press on 13e channels for 6 to 7 days ahead. But when the box downloads EPG data in mornings I loose all 13e listings. I have done what you said yesterday evening but it was still the same this morning before I left for work. Maybe I didn't implement it right. Will check later.

Deezell would you know the file formula for picon transfer by usb stick. Is this right for usb /media/rear-disk/picon as I have to transfer by stick to my brothers box. I use filezilla not sure if same.

• Advertisement

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Yes 19.2e is fine up to 7 days. But why I asked for 19-13e EPG is 13e will load when you press on 13e channels for 6 to 7 days ahead. But when the box downloads EPG data in mornings I loose all 13e listings. I have done what you said yesterday evening but it was still the same this morning before I left for work. Maybe I didn't implement it right. Will check later.

Deezell would you know the file formula for picon transfer by usb stick. Is this right for usb /media/rear-disk/picon as I have to transfer by stick to my brothers box. I use filezilla not sure if same.
    Picons on the box are stored in usr/local/share/enigma2/picon, unless they've been set to store in Hdd, not a great idea in my opinion. Picons come in different flavours, If you're using Rats picon downloads the picons are now service named (RTE_One.png for example) These won't display on Cool TV guide. Service referenced look like this, 1_0_16_44F_3E9_2174_EEEE0000_0_0_0.png, for TV3. There are also ones like this, 282E_1001.png, and these are referenced by Symlinks, which are a type of file entry which points to another file, in this case a service reference number with a pointer to the .png file such as 282E_1001.png. All these types co-exist, only the service referenced and the symlink type will show up in Cool guide. You can pull all your picons (but not the symlinks) down to a USB, then FTP from there to your new picon location, either the one in flash or the Hdd . It's a bit of a mess this way. thats why some prefer to use Rats updates and forego picons on Cool guide, but you can't do any harm by FTPing to the picon folder. I've posted on this before, about laboriously trawling the picon folder for a missing picon, then editing the service reference name to the channels new reference so that it shows up. Painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Any got a new channel file/list for uk channels, enigma2 ?

lensman wrote: »
    Any got a new channel file/list for uk channels, enigma2 ?

Try this, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BztHgAu7cL-QU3F6aExZLWtXTWc/view?usp=docslist_api
    Use Webif bouquet editor to import this to your box, else expand it and ftp to named directories. This was created on a single sat tuner edision OS box, so no terrestrial channels, but the freesat/ sky channels are up to the minute, created using auto bouquets maker. satellites.xml. also current. You might need to do a full scan if some channels are blank. Adult, shopping, gaming and religious bouquets are missing. Box is temptation and forgiveness free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Try this, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BztHgAu7cL-QU3F6aExZLWtXTWc/view?usp=docslist_api
    Use Webif bouquet editor to import this to your box, else expand it and ftp to named directories. This was created on a single sat tuner edision OS box, so no terrestrial channels, but the freesat/ sky channels are up to the minute, created using auto bouquets maker. satellites.xml. also current. You might need to do a full scan if some channels are blank. Adult, shopping, gaming and religious bouquets are missing. Box is temptation and forgiveness free.
    Tnks M8, I used Rats latest Enigma2 channel list & added my own Saorview bouquet, Astra 28deg UK & Three rock Dublin Saorview, http://we.tl/9pKZRupVe2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Brought a new AA2 triple. Am finding that it won't come out of standby when left for a period of time eg: overnight. We use it with a harmony 650 remote which puts the box into standby when switching between activities such as Apple TV etc. It won't accept the front power on button and the only way to get it back on is to reboot via the rear rocker switch. It's running Hyperion 4.5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 uhooie

I'm on a 12 month old, but stable, version of Enigma, and everything has been going fine for me. However now I have a need to play back High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) files. When I play these files all I get the audio and a blank screen. I can play most all AVI and MP4 files without any problems but not the newer MKV files encoded with HEVC.

Does anyone know if there is a version of Enigma available that decodes these files? If not, should I expect a version any time soon?. From what I've read HEVC does not require significantly more processing power for decoding, so I assume this box can do it.

uhooie wrote: »
    I'm on a 12 month old, but stable, version of Enigma, and everything has been going fine for me. However now I have a need to play back High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) files. When I play these files all I get the audio and a blank screen. I can play most all AVI and MP4 files without any problems but not the newer MKV files encoded with HEVC.

Does anyone know if there is a version of Enigma available that decodes these files? If not, should I expect a version any time soon?. From what I've read HEVC does not require significantly more processing power for decoding, so I assume this box can do it.

The box does not decode the steam in it's software, this is done by the video hardware chips in the box, whose parameters are under the control of the software. These chips probably don't have the capabilty to decode HEVC (also known as H265), and it would be a big ask for the box processor to do it in software. The video chip would have the 'power', but not the instructions to decode HEVC. Its up to the box manufacturers to provide the capability in hardware, then the enigma coders can write the drivers in software to deal with these streams. EDIT if you have these as files, perhaps use a convertor (such as Format factory) to render them to a box compatible format.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭taytobreath

if i plugged out my hd out of my golden media box and plugget it into my computer and deletted all the stuff off it from there, would that feck it up or anything, ive only 20% left on the hd , but its all from epg data because ive no recordings.
    the hd is 1tb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

if i plugged out my hd out of my golden media box and plugget it into my computer and deletted all the stuff off it from there, would that feck it up or anything, ive only 20% left on the hd , but its all from epg data because ive no recordings.
    the hd is 1tb

800 gb of epg data?? You can delete anything you want while still connected to the box. just click on the file marked epg and delete the lot and download a fresh epg which is only a few mb

how.gareth wrote: »
    800 gb of epg data?? You can delete anything you want while still connected to the box. just click on the file marked epg and delete the lot and download a fresh epg which is only a few mb

hi gareth, i did what u said but its still showing that i have 20% left. ive been using this hd with about 2 years.
    i get the information on how much space is available on my hd by pressing the find button on my remote controll, its just below the zero button

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

hi gareth, i did what u said but its still showing that i have 20% left. ive been using this hd with about 2 years.
    i get the information on how much space is available on my hd by pressing the find button on my remote controll, its just below the zero button
    Are you sure its the HDD and not the system memory you are looking at?

Are you sure its the HDD and not the system memory you are looking at?

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Have you emptied the trash?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Hi,
    Is there any way to get the channel numbers to be displayed in Kodi when streaming from the Amiko to a Raspberry Pi? I use AutoBouquetsMaker on the box which gives the same numbers as Sky, but on the Pi, the channels start from 1 instead of 101.

Thanks,
    Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Maybe try booting into spark and re formatting the drive. You have no important files so harm in trying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

100%

You can find out what area of your hard drive is taking up space by using Putty and telnet your box.

• Download Putty
    • Enter your box IP address and select Telnet
    • Black screen loads up, type root and press enter. (Enter password after if you have a nonstandard one set)
    • Type 'df' (disk free command)and Enter.
    • This will list out a few locations but mainly look for your root and your storage device. Just make sure that your root Use % is not loaded up.
    • If your root is OK and it is your storage device that is high use %
    • Type 'du /media/hdd' (disk use command) and this will list out every folder on your storage device with the space it is taking up in numbers on the left. Obviously look for the one with the highest number.

Alternatively and easier, if you have no recordings or anything you want to keep on it just format or initialise it again through the box interface!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Any of you guys upgraded from the AA2?

if so what have you upgraded to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

If you are upgrading your box I'm looking to buy a aa2 so send me a pm if interested in selling cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

@Upgraded main box to VU+Duo2
    Still use the AA2 in kitchen
    But the VU is Flawless in operation

There's a lot to be said for that, a fast and reliable box. Just configured a cheap edision OS mini for family , single tuner, hassle free and very responsive on the remote, really fast epg and on Webif also. ABM and picons plugins worked first time.Has me thinking about upgrading my triple, which btw suffered it's first non recoverable crash the other day when using a mixture of EsExplorer /Dreamdroid/samba/pc to stream a pc stored movie to the box. (I Know). Box green screened, no space in memory error in log, reboot refused to reload Enigma2, though DCC would connect and Webif showed the OSD on a screen grab. No choice but to reflash, which I fortunately had a recent image for. I don't think the higher end box owners ever have these discussions, my son's edision-optimuss-os3+ just thunders along, no messing factory installed OpenAtv image. Boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Vu's are good but a bit of the price is just because of the name.

A lot similar spec boxes for cheaper or better spec(and extra tuners) boxes for similar price from Xtrend,Gigablue,Mutant etc but most are OK with the twin tuners.

The Edision Mini is the best value out there and would be perfect for most people and higher spec than the AA2 .

After the week i have had with AA2 the other half told me we have to upgrade to a new box.

I have had the Amiko Alien 2 over two years and these past two weeks have nothing but trouble with it. It has ran without any real problems until now.

My latest issue with box it will not turn on in the mornings from standby. I believe this is a flash issue. I am on my third image in two weeks currently on Vix4 everything working perfectly on this build but I have to switch it off from rear in the mornings for box to come on. I have everything directed and mounted properly even changed my external hard-drive as i thought it was it. But no, This is my third image with the box filling up internal flash at night when box is on standby before was green screens.

I usually get to the bottom of problems after some time but this one has me. Anyone any ideas. New image not going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I still cant bring myself to change from the Alien 2 for my main large plasmas.
    The picture quality is just so much better than any Mips receiver .

I've tried so many different Enigma 2 receivers but have been unhappy with the SD picture on all bar the Aliens .
    Its very infuriating that all these higher end receivers have such poor picture quality and the Vu receivers are some of the worst for picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Zardoz wrote: »

I've tried so many different Enigma 2 receivers but have been unhappy with the SD picture on all bar the Aliens .
    Its very infuriating that all these higher end receivers have such poor picture quality and the Vu receivers are some of the worst for picture quality.

i agree ill hold off untill u decide to change yours lol.alien 1 and 2 still going strong for now without any problems

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Zardoz wrote: »

Unfortunately it's just one of the drawbacks of the MIPS architecture. I'm planning an upgrade soon and I'm not looking forward to watching the football in SD on a MIPS receiver.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement