Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Quick question, running frosty jims 5.1.
    When a channel changes frequency is it possible instead of running autobouquets to run an automatic scan instead? So all changes I have made to bouquets aren't messed up?
    I know you can save them on pc etc but would prefer above method if possible?

Also on some occasions a recording doesn't record, when I go to play it it is empty.
    Tuner config b&c are both advanced, and cao mapping is disabled. Sat feeds only are connected, (no soar view)
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

AFAIK running an automatic scan wont change your favourite bouquets but at the same time wont correct a moved channel. Your favourite will still point to the old settings. Likewise it wont add any new channels to your favourites. Any changes will show up in the "Last Scanned" list

I have my tuners set as C=B to keep things simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Thanks Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Imstuck wrote: »
    Quick question, running frosty jims 5.1.
    When a channel changes frequency is it possible instead of running autobouquets to run an automatic scan instead?.......
    yes, but for a single channel group it's faster to use service search / Manual Scan and type of scan set to user defined TP. You enter the Tp, the transponder frequency for the channels you're after, then press OK to scan. New channels will be in the bouquet "Last Scanned ", use remote, webif, or dreambox edit to place them in the correct bouquet, and delete the dead ones. Tp frequency can be found for any channel group. by going to Kingofsat website, though it can be a few days behind. As an example, Rte tv3 group moved to 112266 Recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

TIP: When using KingofSat site, click on the "Last Updated" column heading to bring the most recent changes to the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

TIP: When using KingofSat site, click on the "Last Updated" column heading to bring the most recent changes to the top.

or go directly here and u can see all the latest moves on 28 and can go back a page or two to find last weeks move etc

http://en.kingofsat.net/news28.2E.php

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jamesbhoy

Folks, running Zardoz's Hyperion 4.5 backup for past year and has been working great until last few weeks. Crossepg not working, I do a manual download everyday and when I go into it now the download screen comes up but nothing happens. Any ideas? It's doing my head in!!!

jamesbhoy wrote: »
    Folks, running Zardoz's Hyperion 4.5 backup for past year and has been working great until last few weeks. Crossepg not working, I do a manual download everyday and when I go into it now the download screen comes up but nothing happens. Any ideas? It's doing my head in!!!

This is almost always a storage problem. Check that cross is configured to save to the HDD, not flash, and that the HDD is mounted and functioning, and is not full. Try a quick recording. Delete the epg.dat file from the crossepg folder and run cross again. Other reason it fails is if you have both tuners tied up, or there is no signal to one. Cross uses the spare sat tuner on a twin tuner box to load the epg from the sky epg channel, 11778 V 25500 2/3. (This is unlikely to have been lost from your satellites.xml file. but check anyway). If tuner B or C has no connection you won't notice until you try to record/stream one and watch another sat channel. If trying out a twin box on a single sat feed you must disable the second tuner for cross to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

jamesbhoy reminded me of an issue I have had a lot recently- and could be similar in nature...

A lot of the time my recordings will just stop when being played for 10-15 seconds and then continue on as if nothing was wrong. Very much random when it happens too.

Second issue is getting 'busy' logo on the screen more and more, like the box is struggling to cope. Could happen from a simple a task as just changing channel.

...and lastly RTE player app is very sensitive- most of the time it will play fine, as long as you don't try to pause, rewind or ff at all!

Any ideas?

Barnaboy wrote: »
    jamesbhoy reminded me of an issue I have had a lot recently- and could be similar in nature...

A lot of the time my recordings will just stop when being played for 10-15 seconds and then continue on as if nothing was wrong. Very much random when it happens too.

Second issue is getting 'busy' logo on the screen more and more, like the box is struggling to cope. Could happen from a simple a task as just changing channel.

...and lastly RTE player app is very sensitive- most of the time it will play fine, as long as you don't try to pause, rewind or ff at all!

Any ideas?
    Just like a laptop or Pc or any small computer device, they all seem to get slower as time goes on, and for the same reasons mostly. Memory fills up, too many little routines running, disk access might slow down, swapfile gets bigger, until you long for the time the device was shiny new and fast. Try looking at the cache flush plugin, see what your working memory is like. After an overlong spinner last night I took a look and had only 1.8% memory available. Why this is I don't know, but a press of the blue button restored it to 4, which is still very low, but the box became more responsive. Some times a complete cold start is the only way to get everything back on track. Remove dead channels from the bouguets, Epg will try to find channel info for these when you select a bouquet. Some say deleting EPG.dat now and again works. Be careful if you have mounted remote network sources, PCs, NAS, router attached storage and so on. All these present an over head to maintain a connection. Delete unused plugins. Maybe backup your HDD to some other drive and reformat it. Will you ever actually watch the 120 odd movies/programs that you recorded again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Box only a few months old and started with a newly formatted HDD, but there is a few things there to go through. Thanks for the response!

deezell wrote: »
    This is almost always a storage problem. Check that cross is configured to save to the HDD, not flash, and that the HDD is mounted and functioning, and is not full. Try a quick recording. Delete the epg.dat file from the crossepg folder and run cross again. Other reason it fails is if you have both tuners tied up, or there is no signal to one. Cross uses the spare sat tuner on a twin tuner box to load the epg from the sky epg channel, 11778 V 25500 2/3. (This is unlikely to have been lost from your satellites.xml file. but check anyway). If tuner B or C has no connection you won't notice until you try to record/stream one and watch another sat channel. If trying out a twin box on a single sat feed you must disable the second tuner for cross to work.

Cross is configured to save to the HDD and recording ok. Think it might cable prob. as during the bad weather recently the cables on the dish were ripped out!! I've put them back in and getting channels but think the loop cable isn't working. It's recording ok but can't watch another channel- so it must be that. I can do without recording so how do I disable the second tuner? Thanks for your help

Cross is configured to save to the HDD and recording ok. Think it might cable prob. as during the bad weather recently the cables on the dish were ripped out!! I've put them back in and getting channels but think the loop cable isn't working. It's recording ok but can't watch another channel- so it must be that. I can do without recording so how do I disable the second tuner? Thanks for your help

Menu/Setup/Service Searching/Tuner configuration, select tuner C, change Configuration mode to disable using left- right arrows (assuming the good feed is connected to the first sat tuner, B.)

Good stuff-all sorted now. Disabled tuner C and epg downloaded staright away. Id be lost without the help on this thread. Cheers again!!

Good stuff-all sorted now. Disabled tuner C and epg downloaded staright away. Id be lost without the help on this thread. Cheers again!!

Your'e Welcome. You did mention something about a loop cable. Did you have two cable feeds from the Lnb to the box's tuners? or were you using a loop cable out from one tuner into the other? If you had two, now's the chance to swap and see if both are Ok. If they are, you would need the same tuner settings on C as B for EPG to work (set C=B in tuner configuration mode). Even with two feeds EPG will only work if If tuner C is set to look at the same channel list/satellite as B., or at least have the EPG channel in its list.
    It's working anyway, you might be inclined to leave well enough alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Brought a 2nd box and it won't come out of standby the next day. Only solution is to turn off the toggle switch at the back and do a full reboot. Am using one of the PKT Hyperion 4.5 images put up about a year ago on Boards. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Zardoz wrote: »
    I still cant bring myself to change from the Alien 2 for my main large plasmas.
    The picture quality is just so much better than any Mips receiver .

I've tried so many different Enigma 2 receivers but have been unhappy with the SD picture on all bar the Aliens .
    Its very infuriating that all these higher end receivers have such poor picture quality and the Vu receivers are some of the worst for picture quality.

Every so often, I think of upgrading. Then I seek out your posts, and , am put at ease that I'm not missing out.
    Will hold off for anorher while.

Could do with doing a fresh rebuild of the image to get that "zippy" feel back in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Slevster wrote: »
    Every so often, I think of upgrading. Then I seek out your posts, and , am put at ease that I'm not missing out.
    Will hold off for anorher while.

Could do with doing a fresh rebuild of the image to get that "zippy" feel back in the box.

Well it depends on what you want to upgrade for Slevster.

I have a smart tv and a Fire tv stick so I dont need any of the advanced streaming apps or stuff like Kodi or playing video files ,x264 etc .

For my needs the Alien 2 serves me fine .
    Watching tv ,rte player ,streaming to pc or laptop,etc.
    The major weakness is the recording aspect ,its not as reliable as on more powerful Mips receivers especially timeshift .

As I've said I've tried more powerful receivers ,a few of them are back in their boxes ,unfortunately I just couldn't tolerate the sd picture quality .
    Other people may find the picture quality fine and its not as noticeable on a smaller set to be honest .
    Its all preference.

Its not very expensive to upgrade now,boxes are very reasonable and you can always sell the receiver on if you dont like it.
    Stuff like Crossepg will run alot faster on a more powerful receiver ,you can have picture in picture ,better recording and timeshift ,better playback of video files x264 etc .And you will be able to run big addons like kodi direct ,ts panel and mediaportal.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

basill wrote: »
    Brought a 2nd box and it won't come out of standby the next day. Only solution is to turn off the toggle switch at the back and do a full reboot. Am using one of the PKT Hyperion 4.5 images put up about a year ago on Boards. Any suggestions?

Just reload your image or replace it with another if you don't have a back-up. The image gets corrupted with time so reinstalling it will bring it back to where it should be.
    Doo! misread it. Try reinstalling it with the files on the drive not in a folder on the drive. That image is excellent been using myself since it was shared.

I have a smart tv and a Fire tv stick so I dont need any of the advanced streaming apps or stuff like Kodi or playing video files ,x264 etc .

The major weakness is the recording aspect ,its not as reliable as on more powerful Mips receivers especially timeshift .

As I've said I've tried more powerful receivers ,a few of them are back in their boxes ,unfortunately I just couldn't tolerate the sd picture quality .
    Other people may find the picture quality fine and its not as noticeable on a smaller set to be honest .
    Its all preference.

Its not very expensive to upgrade now,boxes are very reasonable and you can always sell the receiver on if you dont like it.
    Stuff like Crossepg will run alot faster on a more powerful receiver ,you can have picture in picture ,better recording and timeshift ,better playback of video files x264 etc .And you will be able to run big addons like kodi direct ,ts panel and mediaportal.

PQ would be of most concern to me. I use a chromcast / PC / tablet for other activities.
    We use the timeshift feature a lot, and to be honest, it works perfectly fine. And we record a lot , usually without problems.The odd blank recording. But in general don't have problems there.
    Just get the dots sometimes. A bit sluggish, calling up channels , epg , Sticking in stand by the odd time, and occasionally, a blank channel after recording (like a tuner is turned off) etc. A reboot nearly always solves/ improves things. (And sods law, these often happen when I'm not there to fix. )
    I leave my box powered on all the time (well in standby when not in use) . the HDD could also be showing signs of slowing perhaps, as I'm sure it ain't ideal usage conditions.
    So , in reality, would only upgrade if the pq on a protential box was at least equivalent and had a bit more grunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Its all preference.

have you try,d any of the ZGEMMA twin tunner boxs have you any comments on them????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭Zardoz

massy086 wrote: »
    have you try,d any of the ZGEMMA twin tunner boxs have you any comments on them????

They are good boxes and excellent value.

I think an original receiver like the Xpeed Lx2 ,which the Zgemma is a clone of ,is better value though as it has a good warranty and better image support.

Its ~ 110 euro delivered from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Interstar-LX2-Satellite-Receiver/dp/B00FYD3ICA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461192918&sr=8-1&keywords=xpeed+lx2

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Hi Guys,

I have an amiko alien 2 which works pretty well. My sister has had MMDS from virgin media (UPC) for years so she's looking at alternatives now. She was going to get sky but I've suggested she consider a combo box. I see talk on here of more powerful boxes. Is there a clear front runner? I think it would make sense to get one with a built in hard disk. I'll happily configure it for her, but I'm hoping for something that isn't going to result in multiple calls to me for support going forward.

In summary, can someone please recommend a combo box with hard disk, capable of running enigma, and likely to run it smoothly?

Thanks,

Ronan

RonnieL wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have an amiko alien 2 which works pretty well.....

In summary, can someone please recommend a combo box with hard disk, capable of running enigma, and likely to run it smoothly?

Thanks,

Ronan

Sorry, I seem to have side tracked this thread , with my earlier post . I should have asked my question in the thread on enigma box's :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057404110&page=30

Lots of possible box options discussed there.
    Sorry again for the derailing

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Slevster wrote: »
    Sorry, I seem to have side tracked this thread , with my earlier post . I should have asked my question in the thread on enigma box's :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057404110&page=30

Lots of possible box options discussed there.
    Sorry again for the derailing

Sorry guys. I follow this thread for enigma stuff but hadn't spotted the other thread for box recommendations. I'm sure I'll be back with more relevant questions once I identify the box to buy.

RonnieL wrote: »
    Sorry guys. I follow this thread for enigma stuff but hadn't spotted the other thread for box recommendations. I'm sure I'll be back with more relevant questions once I identify the box to buy.

Was my fault earlier for posting my question to this thread.

uhooie wrote: »
    I'm on a 12 month old, but stable, version of Enigma, and everything has been going fine for me. However now I have a need to play back High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) files. When I play these files all I get the audio and a blank screen.........
    Does anyone know if there is a version of Enigma available that decodes these files?.... .

Talking of upgrading, and harking back to this question a month ago, I see that OPENPLI is available for 4k/ h265 capable boxes, which at the moment would be the VU+ solo 4k. Openpli announcement at
    http://openpli.org/news/openpli-releases-vu-solo-4k-image/
    So if anyone wants to shell out €500 for one and report back, feel free!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Hey folks I've been tinkering and need some assistance please! I've upgraded to Hyperion 5.1 and have a couple of issues, first is epg is causing a green screen when I try download, it's pointed to the drive but I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, secondly is im trying to connect via dream box edit and everything goes fine till I try receive files from the box and then it says "error retrieving file settings from dream box. Any help appreciated as ever, Nigel

K
    how.gareth wrote: »
    Hey folks I've been tinkering and need some assistance please! I've upgraded to Hyperion 5.1 and have a couple of issues, first is epg is causing a green screen when I try download, it's pointed to the drive but I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, secondly is im trying to connect via dream box edit and everything goes fine till I try receive files from the box and then it says "error retrieving file settings from dream box. Any help appreciated as ever, Nigel
    Make sure the drive partition is actually mounted. When using images it may be that the partition mounted as hdd is from another installation with a different make,and model of drive. Automount should take care of this, check it's ticked on and reboot.Otherwise. unmount the drive, discover your actual drive Partition(s), mount as hdd, reboot, check epg is still pointing to hdd. Also make sure both tuners are enabled, b=c, in order for epg channel to be read.
    Second question , make sure you have " new enigma2" file paths set in Dbedit in order to access correct file locations. Haven't tried 5.1 but I'm sure the Dbedit setting are the same, if you just reflashed your box to 5.1 then it should work, unless you ended up with a different ip address perhaps and created a new profile for that ip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I tried pk 5.1 on a amiko alien 1 and found it very buggy.went back to 4.5 happy now.have 2 setup 2 aa2,s for family what is the most stable image people are using I'm on cramp,s 4.5 on alien 1 and love it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement