Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Timepiece

[QUOTE

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See the Readme file in the download directory **

-[/QUOTE]
    Championc. I found the courage to try your latest OpenTV image, but try as I may, I just cannot seem to get Soarview channels to scan. I think you are getting your Soarview signal from Three rock and wondered if you might share an image with the Three rock channels included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Timepiece wrote: »
    [QUOTE

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **

-
    Championc. I found the courage to try your latest OpenTV image, but try as I may, I just cannot seem to get Soarview channels to scan. I think you are getting your Soarview signal from Three rock and wondered if you might share an image with the Three rock channels included.[/quote]

Champions images should be already set up for 3 Rock, I don't need to tune saiorview on any of his, did you check your settings for what you have selected for your terrestrial area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Timepiece wrote: »
    [QUOTE

-
    Championc. I found the courage to try your latest OpenTV image, but try as I may, I just cannot seem to get Soarview channels to scan. I think you are getting your Soarview signal from Three rock and wondered if you might share an image with the Three rock channels included.[/QUOTE]

Is there a working aerial connected? It may have been dislodged while messing with the box.

how.gareth wrote: »
    Championc. I found the courage to try your latest OpenTV image, but try as I may, I just cannot seem to get Soarview channels to scan. I think you are getting your Soarview signal from Three rock and wondered if you might share an image with the Three rock channels included.

Champions images should be already set up for 3 Rock, I don't need to tune saiorview on any of his, did you check your settings for what you have selected for your terrestrial area?[/QUOTE]

I have an older image from Championc and this was indeed setup with Three rock. His more recent image requires a scan for Soarview. I have for the present reverted to the earlier that has performed very well for many months.

Is there a working aerial connected? It may have been dislodged while messing with the box.[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned in reply to How.gareth. I have no problems working with an earlier image from champion. After many attempts to tune in Three rock I just reflashed to the older image.

It's no doubt something I have done wrong. A complete scan does nothing. I have had partial success when I specify the Three rock freqeuncies/Channel number and perform a manual scan. I don't have the box in front of me now but I recall selecting the Republic of Ireland under Tuner A selection before making the scan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Is there a working aerial connected? It may have been dislodged while messing with the box.[/QUOTE]

Hi Gerry,

Attached is a guide which contains the frequencies you will have to change depending on which transmitter you are pointing to.

Check if your setting match what is in the guide to rule out any possibilities of having the incorrect tuner settings.

Timepiece is the user trying to get 3rock on ChampionCs image. For some reason posts and quotes are being scrambled, truncated and attributed to wrong usernames.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Is there a working aerial connected? It may have been dislodged while messing with the box.

Hi Gerry,

Attached is a guide which contains the frequencies you will have to change depending on which transmitter you are pointing to.

Check if your setting match what is in the guide to rule out any possibilities of having the incorrect tuner settings.[/quote]

Which version of the box do you have? There are some boxes that can't tune the terrestrial channels on the opentv images. However if you have an image backup with them tuned, then it may work straight off as long as you don'ttry to retune the soarview channels. And may be the issue with the new image backup. It would be interesting , if you try to retune on the image you've reverted to (assuming it is an opentv image) just to see if you can pick up the channels. In the tune list (if not, it will keep the current channels- worse case , you reflash. But could give you an idea if this is the issue with the image)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

As posted earlier, was updating the brothers aa2 to a new image, he had been complaining of pixelating, stuttering etc, on one channel only. I put new image on & set up and still the same channel is doing the same thing!!??
    Anyone throw a dart at what the problem may be?

Slevster wrote: »
    Hi Gerry,

Check if your setting match what is in the guide to rule out any possibilities of having the incorrect tuner settings.

Which version of the box do you have? There are some boxes that can't tune the terrestrial channels on the opentv images. However if you have an image backup with them tuned, then it may work straight off as long as you don'ttry to retune the soarview channels. And may be the issue with the new image backup. It would be interesting , if you try to retune on the image you've reverted to (assuming it is an opentv image) just to see if you can pick up the channels. In the tune list (if not, it will keep the current channels- worse case , you reflash. But could give you an idea if this is the issue with the image)[/QUOTE]

Slevster, I think you are addressing a question I presented earlier, I have the AA2+. I have managed to get everything working after a further reflash. Auto tune did nothing for me. No channels found. I made a manual scan of both Mux's for Three rock and got all the Soarview channels. I then used Dream edit to apply all the channels from my original setup and everything is perfect.

I'll make the test you suggest at the weekend Re, retune on the old image and let you know what happens.

Many thanks to all

• Advertisement

Imstuck wrote: »
    As posted earlier, was updating the brothers aa2 to a new image, he had been complaining of pixelating, stuttering etc, on one channel only. I put new image on & set up and still the same channel is doing the same thing!!??
    Anyone throw a dart at what the problem may be?
    Ah go on. Let us in on the secret. :D
    Which channel? Terrestrial or satellite?

Ah go on. Let us in on the secret. :D
    Which channel? Terrestrial or satellite?

Sat Gerry.
    Usually features two men in a ring lol. 'Nation'

Ok If its specific to a particular channel, first thoughts would be local interference from something like a cordless phone or baby alarm near the box or dish. If there is anything like that nearby try turning it off and see if the pictures improve.

Cheers Gerry will tell him to give it a shot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Imstuck wrote: »
    Cheers Gerry will tell him to give it a shot

Did u try what it is like on Spark

the Hd version is good for live stuff

could be the coax connection , recut the end of it maybe

also might be a dish positioning , check the strength of the signal , if its low a slight push might fix it

Sadly I have abandoned Hyperion 5.3 because of reliability issues. I've had up to 5 random crashes in one night while doing nothing to the box. I also got occasional 'tune fail' errors. Another thing was a peculiar issue with random bits of the skin appearing/disappearing on banners and menus. I use the Allien(sic) skin but checked with the default as well. Not a biggy in itself but a sign of something astray somewhere.
    The only benefit I could see between 5.3 over 5.1 was improved memory usage. But given that it still has the same bugs as 5.1 and a few of it's own........

That's my experience to date using a bog standard AA2. Others may have different results with different boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Sadly I have abandoned Hyperion 5.3 because of reliability issues. I've had up to 5 random crashes in one night while doing nothing to the box. I also got occasional 'tune fail' errors. Another thing was a peculiar issue with random bits of the skin appearing/disappearing on banners and menus. I use the Allien(sic) skin but checked with the default as well. Not a biggy in itself but a sign of something astray somewhere.
    The only benefit I could see between 5.3 over 5.1 was improved memory usage. But given that it still has the same bugs as 5.1 and a few of it's own........

That's my experience to date using a bog standard AA2. Others may have different results with different boxes.
    Fair play for trying it out. Out of curiosity, was this a vanilla image from pkteam site or a preconfigured image? I'm wary of images with other's settings embedded in them. Terrestrial settings, hdd, network, maybe a few errors in there in tuning, old satellite.xml, dead channels etc. I'd like to hear a report of a full basic install, with each stage added by the user.

deezell wrote: »
    Fair play for trying it out. Out of curiosity, was this a vanilla image from pkteam site or a preconfigured image? I'm wary of images with other's settings embedded in them. Terrestrial settings, hdd, network, maybe a few errors in there in tuning, old satellite.xml, dead channels etc. I'd like to hear a report of a full basic install, with each stage added by the user.
    Straight from the horses mouth (pkteam.pl) with only the basic plugins I normally use, Cooltvguide, crossEPG, autotimer and so on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

5.3 is still only a beta image I've used it on solo2 it is pretty solid id say in another while on aa2 it will be good too.

jayo26 wrote: »
    5.3 is still only a beta image I've used it on solo2 it is pretty solid id say in another while on aa2 it will be good too.
    Yeah, it's taken a few weeks to port over to the AA2 so has a bit of catching up to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Yeah, it's taken a few weeks to port over to the AA2 so has a bit of catching up to do.

To be fair I haven't seen much of a difference in 5.1 to 5.2 or 5.3 it might be different for the aa2 as some bugs get fixed but for The most part on solo 2 they work the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I have 5.3 running a few days now (the bare image Gerry uploaded) and it's going great so far, I only have cooltvguide and epg installed and using the default skin. Recordings are miles better than the last image I was using. I had thought my hard drive was to blame but it's flyin with this image

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hey,

Just upgraded my box from Amiko Alien 2+ to an Edision OS mini. The difference is night and day.

I'm running the latest OpenViX and it is completely stable. I'm having one issue though and was wondering if anyone has any ideas? I want to use my NAS to store recorded content. I was able to do this easily on the Amiko in Spark, but having a few issues thus far with E2. I have tried mounting both NFS and CIFS and I can see the dives when I ftp to the box. The problem is I cannot set it as the default recording device in the recordings settings. The only one selectable is the HDD I have attached to the box, which I just want to use for CrossEPG/TimeShift/Picons etc.

The mount is writeable as I can create directory using WinSCP etc. So far it seems the only way to use it is to select it as a hard drive replacement, but then this disables the physical drive I have connected to the box. Any ideas?

Edit: I think editing bookmarks might be the way to go. I'll check again when I get home. From my reading it's a bit clunky to use but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stevo_

techdiver wrote: »
    Just upgraded my box from Amiko Alien 2+ to an Edision OS mini. The difference is night and day.

As somebody who's owned an AA2 for a year now, and never been able to love it because of the multitude of issues I've had, can you elaborate on why the OS mini is so much better?
    I'm tired of reflashing, random crashes, missed recordings and the ever-present fear of the box rebooting every time I touch the remote. I love the Enigma2 system and wonder if it performs properly on the OS mini. I use mine to record to my NAS via NFS, to be able to watch back later on any of my other devices.

And one more question, did you get the triple tuner version, which I believe uses a USB DVB-T tuner? I'm on the brink of ordering, just need some confirmation that I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

stevo_ wrote: »
    As somebody who's owned an AA2 for a year now, and never been able to love it because of the multitude of issues I've had, can you elaborate on why the OS mini is so much better?
    I'm tired of reflashing, random crashes, missed recordings and the ever-present fear of the box rebooting every time I touch the remote. I love the Enigma2 system and wonder if it performs properly on the OS mini. I use mine to record to my NAS via NFS, to be able to watch back later on any of my other devices.

And one more question, did you get the triple tuner version, which I believe uses a USB DVB-T tuner? I'm on the brink of ordering, just need some confirmation that I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks

Well, I've only had it 2 days but so far it has been rock solid no matter what I do to it. Actually it did crash once, but that was because of something I did (manually modified one of the abm userbouquets and corrupted it), when I reverted the change I made it worked perfectly again.

Like you, I found Enigma2 on the AA2+ unstable and unusable to the point that I just reverted to using Spark.

The OS mini is way faster and more stable. It's officially built to run on E2, so it's not using a ported version or anything. I have mounted my NAS successfully now for recordings, but I don't have it long enough to comment on the reliability of timers etc. Scrolling through the guide with full epg and picons is smooth with absolutely no lag. It's a complete departure for me from the AA2+. Like you any time I tried to do anything on enigma2 on the Alien I was doing it with fingers crossed it wouldn't either hang or crash completely. This has not happened with the OS mini thus far and I have sent 2 full evening tinkering with it. Plugins install without crashing, they run without crashing. I'm running the latest openvix version.

The box is just a step above the Amiko in all cases bar the extra tuner. It's got a faster dual core processor and more available RAM. I'm very pleased thus far.

Thanks
    I've installed OS mini single tuner and OS3+ triple tuner for family. They are fast, especially the Plus. Very fast response to WebIf also for browsing EPG on phone without upsetting SHMBO, much faster than Alien. The triples seem to have disappeared off the market, and the Plus versions with super fast processor, buckets of memory, facility for internal disk, mains supply (the mini is powered via an adapter), fan cooling etc are scarer than hens teeth. To get a triple you do indeed have to by a twin sat tuner and add the USB terrestrial dongle. Assuming a USB sat dongle is also available, you could buy the combo single sat /terrestrial and end up with the same thing. The edision mini is all that seems to be out there. The supplied OpenATV works well, if a little limited in comparison to PKT hyperion, but you get used to it. It works well and fast, and I've had no crash reports from either user.
    There are a few online shops with the beefier OS2 Plus twin sat in stock, try amazon. The odd OS3+ on ebay and ads. appears now and again, but I'm unsure as to why these models are out of stock everywhere.

Of course if you change to the mini or other mips processor box, you will have insufficient suffering points to participate on this forum. You'll have to use the alien in another room to keep your "wings".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭Joeface

Speaking of Enigma , Had been using the latest of Champion's version , and found it very sluggish and It hated everything.
    Playing back my own media , a movie or something like that I would have to restart the box after playing. EPG updated would crash ever second day. So I was constantly restarting it. I didn't want to give up even after a fresh install i was still having the issues ,

Removed the MediaPortal Plugin . made a massive difference . over 2 weeks now without a restarted or EPG crash when updating. Can record , and playback something else with , can even play movies one after another off the nas.
    Never used the mediaportal side so probably should have removed this earlier .Might help others but I didn't see anyone else complaining so I assumed it was something I did wrong on my setup.

When I check the cache clear plugin now Its always between the 9% & 11% free. it use to be 4% or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stevo_

deezell wrote: »
    Of course if you change to the mini or other mips processor box, you will have insufficient suffering points to participate on this forum. You'll have to use the alien in another room to keep your "wings".

I've often thought about giving it wings alright, so I could throw it out the window.

• Advertisement

I've often thought about giving it wings alright, so I could throw it out the window.

Here's the Edision OS1+, a twin sat tuner trimmed down version of the OS2+, same 1.3Ghz processor, 256Mb Flash, 1Gb RAM. It includes a 1TB internal hard drive and the WIFI antenna dongle for €199 plus 15 postage to Ireland. The USB Terrestrial tuner is €34.90 extra. Twice the speed and RAM of the Edision mini twin, for about the same price or less all in with hard disk, tuner dongle and WiFi dongle.
    https://abel.tv/optimuss-os1-plus-1tb-festplatte-hd-dvb-s-2-linux-schwarz.html#.Vz2cm_krIdU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement