Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gar

Just an FYI.
    I changed tv and decided to change the resolution coming from the box from 720p to 1080p.
    Coincidently i lost my saorview channels but the satellite ones were fine.
    I was getting intermittent snr values on the saorview channels by moving the indoor aerial.
    Changed the resolution to 1080i and back working fine with an snr of about 50%.

Wierd...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Imstuck wrote: »
    With samba turned on I can see my box in networks, however is it not possible to see the root of the box etc to make transferring files possible like on some other boxes?
    I can see what's in my hdd etc and a couple of empty files but that's it.
    From memory, I think there is a setting in samba (under blue panel) to share root as well as media

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

deezell wrote: »
    Checked my log, only one backslash. Have a look in var/crossepg/crossepg.config to see what path is defined.

thanks for checking ... I rest the crossepg.config to remove the second backslash (strangely the file was located in /usr/crossepg, not /var/crossepg). Unfortunately still no joy.

I re-read some of your other suggestions about checking that the tuners were configured correctly. Both were configured to 28.2E. I decided to set the second tuner to "not configured" and try the crossepg download again. Now the downloader is working and I have a full EPG!

I dont think this is right though. Surely I need the second tuner configured so that I can record and watch at the same time. What should my tuners be set to?

thanks.

Try setting the second tuner equal the first B=A or whatever it is called on your box.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Setanta to Be renamed Eir sports During the week !!

• Advertisement

Try setting the second tuner equal the first B=A or whatever it is called on your box.

Thanks, I'm getting "tune failed" with that setting when recording and watching different sat channels.

Is there another configuration I could try?

With samba turned on I can see my box in networks, however is it not possible to see the root of the box etc to make transferring files possible like on some other boxes?

thats the usual same in spark

uze filezilla ftp to manage files

cian_r wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm getting "tune failed" with that setting when recording and watching different sat channels.

Is there another configuration I could try?

i normally have it as set up the same as the the other one ie 28.2 etc

thanks for checking ... I rest the crossepg.config to remove the second backslash (strangely the file was located in /usr/crossepg, not /var/crossepg). Unfortunately still no joy.

I re-read some of your other suggestions about checking that the tuners were configured correctly. Both were configured to 28.2E. I decided to set the second tuner to "not configured" and try the crossepg download again. Now the downloader is working and I have a full EPG!

I dont think this is right though. Surely I need the second tuner configured so that I can record and watch at the same time. What should my tuners be set to?

thanks.

The crossepg not working is clearly a tuner issue (at least I think so! :p)

It works if I configure only one tuner. So I was thinking there must be a problem with tuner b. But when both tuners are configured (in simple mode to 28.2E), I can watch and record different channels .... which would point to the second tuner working just fine.

this is p1ssing me off now ... lol

Is it at all possible to set crossepg to download from another provider that is available from the web rather than satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

The crossepg not working is clearly a tuner issue (at least I think so! :p)

It works if I configure only one tuner. So I was thinking there must be a problem with tuner b. But when both tuners are configured (in simple mode to 28.2E), I can watch and record different channels .... which would point to the second tuner working just fine.

this is p1ssing me off now ... lol

Is it at all possible to set crossepg to download from another provider that is available from the web rather than satellite?

If you can watch and record two channels from different transponders, (tps), then you have two working feeds. When you connect both tuners as simple 28.2, then you must run the full scan independently to make sure each tuner has the full set of TP frequencies to tune in channels and the epg info. Setting tuner C = to B means you only have to worry about scanning one tuner, B, which will share it's channel information with C. When you run crossepg, it will use the spare tuner to access the Epg channel. If this epg channel is not present in tuner C's service list( because you have it set to its own service list which you haven't scanned) no download of epg data can occur. If you disable tuner C. Then cross will use B for epg download, and it will be successful as you've scanned it. Try disabling the other one instead and it won't have a service list associated with it. Setting tuner C " = to tuner B" will work provided tuner B was the tuner used for the full service scan. If it was the other way around then you need to configure tuner B "= to tuner C" . Are you using autobouquets to populate your channel list or a manual scan? In any case you should set tuner C " = to tuner B" before you perform the scan on B. After this , crossepg will work as it has access to the same channel list regardless of tuner. Your problem comes up often when users have only a single sat cable, but leave both tuners enabled. I've also seen the problem occur with an LNB which was not polarity switching on one feed, but that's an unlikely event.

• Advertisement

Samba only "sees" attached storage devices. Hard disks, USB sticks. There is a choice of rootfs when selecting the share, but I think this refers to the disc root file system, not the ram of the box. You can mount it as a share but it's not readable, at least not in my case. I can just read the folders of Hdd, the disk. Use filezillia as Nowso says, or DCC which is so much more than an FTP Client.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Cool TV Guide has been patched so it now works with SNP,Service named picons.

Also some sad news ,the developer of Cool TV Guide ,Chris Coolman passed away last week.
    May He Rest in Peace.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Zardoz wrote: »
    Also some sad news ,the developer of Cool TV Guide ,Chris Coolman passed away last week.
    May He Rest in Peace.

Sad indeed, rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

hi all would anyone know how many channels i should get when i run a scan on astra 28

between 940 and 960ish

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

thanks.

I know you've made progress below this post but your secondary tuner isn't working.

When you have two tuners on CrossEPG is looking to use the fre one ie the one not watching the TV. If this lead has no signal (faulty, come loose etc) then your download will always fail as it will only try to use the spare tuner.

By turning it off, you are now forcing CrossEPG to use the working tuner and it downloads it fully.

Turn you 2nd tuner back on and go to Signal Finder for your image and check the signal strength to confirm.

Double check you lead is in at back of box, rest of lead looks OK, still in at dish etc

On another note, when you were trying to delete the epg.dat file earlier on you need to putty in to the box and stop enigma while you do this. Otherwise, it looks like you are deleting it but it actually refreshes itself in the background straight away as enigma is still running. Stop enigma, delete epg.dat, restart enigma.

dav32cs wrote: »

thanks.

I know you've made progress below this post but your secondary tuner isn't working.

When you have two tuners on CrossEPG is looking to use the fre one ie the one not watching the TV. If this lead has no signal (faulty, come loose etc) then your download will always fail as it will only try to use the spare tuner.

By turning it off, you are now forcing CrossEPG to use the working tuner and it downloads it fully.

Turn you 2nd tuner back on and go to Signal Finder for your image and check the signal strength to confirm.

Double check you lead is in at back of box, rest of lead looks OK, still in at dish etc

On another note, when you were trying to delete the epg.dat file earlier on you need to putty in to the box and stop enigma while you do this. Otherwise, it looks like you are deleting it but it actually refreshes itself in the background straight away as enigma is still running. Stop enigma, delete epg.dat, restart enigma.

Hi,

You are absolutely right here.

I'm still working on this trying to get it to work. Last night I noticed that while I could watch and record on some sat channels, I would sometimes get "tuner failed" on tuner B. I began to wonder if tuner B on the receiver was faulty. I did a sat scan on both tuners. Tuner A is fine, but the signal on tuner B sometimes dropped. I got a second second satellite receiver and tried the two feeds again with pretty much the same results. I noticed that while the second feed was screwed into the receiver, if I pulled at the cable slightly to the left or right, the signal would jump. A dodgy connection? So I then unscrewed and then re-screwed the F-connector, and the signal now appears to be stable.

It was getting kinda late at this stage, but I quickly re-scanned tuner B and tried the epgdownloader again. Unfortunately it still didn't work. My plan now is to delete all my original bouquets and re-scan both tuners and try again.

There was definitely a problem with the feed to tuner B (though it certainly did work for at least some channels). Hopefully I'm getting closer to fixing this now.

Hi all I have a fm triplex it was working fine now giving problems.I have ref lashed a couple of different images but I seem to be getting tunner failed on both tuners. I have checked both my cables in a amiko8900 and there fine.can anyone help as the gm box is about to learn to fly lol

Try spark before you launch it

is therfe anyway to wipe these boxs completely and start a fresh. I have reinstalled spark and that went fine but my enigma2 remains the same.i really think its a problem with enigma 2 as i seem to have tunners in spark.but i hate spark and want 7 day epg

• Advertisement

massy086 wrote: »
    is therfe anyway to wipe these boxs completely and start a fresh. I have reinstalled spark and that went fine but my enigma2 remains the same.i really think its a problem with enigma 2 as i seem to have tunners in spark.but i hate spark and want 7 day epg

spark has Full 7 day epg , better pictures , sound .

i have installed various enigma 2 but still use spark

try do a hard reload of enigma 2 through the boot method

deezell wrote: »
    I honestly couldn't notice any great difference, and I set up the mini using my own TV before handover. Your eyes and brain will accommodate large variations of brightness, contrast etc. so unless you put two tuners side by side into identical tvs....

There is a difference allright .

On some channels its not as noticeable but on others its apparent.
    I've ran two identical plasmas side by side and tweaked the picture on both as best I can ,one with an Alien 2 ,the other with numerous receivers and the Alien is a crisper clearer picture on Enigma 2 both Sd and HD.
    Obviously the difference in HD isnt much but on SD its larger.

It resolves details better ,I honestly dont know how people can say that there is no difference.
    I really wish there was no difference as I could finally upgrade from the Alien 2 .
    Im selling my Technomate Nano 3T which is a great receiver but I just cant get used to the picture quality,its not bad but its not as good as the Alien .

There is a difference allright .

On some channels its not as noticeable but on others its apparent.
    I've ran two identical plasmas side by side and tweaked the picture on both as best I can ,one with an Alien 2 ,the other with numerous receivers and the Alien is a crisper clearer picture on Enigma 2 both Sd and HD.
    Obviously the difference in HD isnt much but on SD its larger.

It resolves details better ,I honestly dont know how people can say that there is no difference.
    I really wish there was no difference as I could finally upgrade from the Alien 2 .
    Im selling my Technomate Nano 3T which is a great receiver but I just cant get used to the picture quality,its not bad but its not as good as the Alien .

Put on spark and it will be even better again lol

Nowso wrote: »
    Put on spark and it will be even better again lol

Yeah Spark is slightly better but Mrs Zardoz does not like it :o

Xtrend Et10000 is the next receiver up to be tested picture wise ,hopefully this could be the one to retire the Alien 2 but alas I fear it will not pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Tefral

Anyone done up a full image on the latest firmware version? Im still running your 4.5 Zardoz!

cronin_j wrote: »
    Anyone done up a full image on the latest firmware version? Im still running your 4.5 Zardoz!

I think 4.5 is better than 5.3 ,well on the Alien 1 anyway .
    I havent tried it on the Alien 2 yet .

4.5 boots faster and is more stable from my usage.
    Autobouquetsmaker kept crashing on 5.3 ,it runs perfectly on 4.5.
    Certain icons didnt appear in the plugins menu in 5.3.
    History Zap didnt work properly in 5.3.

I believe a few other users on here have tried 5.3 on the Alien 2 and reverted to 4.5 .

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Hi,

You are absolutely right here.

I'm still working on this trying to get it to work. Last night I noticed that while I could watch and record on some sat channels, I would sometimes get "tuner failed" on tuner B. I began to wonder if tuner B on the receiver was faulty. I did a sat scan on both tuners. Tuner A is fine, but the signal on tuner B sometimes dropped. I got a second second satellite receiver and tried the two feeds again with pretty much the same results. I noticed that while the second feed was screwed into the receiver, if I pulled at the cable slightly to the left or right, the signal would jump. A dodgy connection? So I then unscrewed and then re-screwed the F-connector, and the signal now appears to be stable.

It was getting kinda late at this stage, but I quickly re-scanned tuner B and tried the epgdownloader again. Unfortunately it still didn't work. My plan now is to delete all my original bouquets and re-scan both tuners and try again.

There was definitely a problem with the feed to tuner B (though it certainly did work for at least some channels). Hopefully I'm getting closer to fixing this now.

Have to troubleshoot and probably replace the lead or LNB possibly. Check if the second lead looks OK on both sides(box and dish), not being frayed if it goes across a point like top of a roof etc.

If all looks OK quickest way to resolve is just to one causing problems replaced.

Have to troubleshoot and probably replace the lead or LNB possibly. Check if the second lead looks OK on both sides(box and dish), not being frayed if it goes across a point like top of a roof etc.

If all looks OK quickest way to resolve is just to one causing problems replaced.

Hi,

Thanks for the tips etc. I've done a lot of investigation now and it looks to be a problem with tuner B on the STB. When I do a full manual scan on tuner A, I get ~900 channels. The same scan on tuner B, only returns half that amount. I've tried switching the feeds (i.e. put the cable from the good tuner A into the bad tuner B), but I get the same result. It must be a STB issue.

Looks like I'm going to have to return it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Tefral

I think 4.5 is better than 5.3 ,well on the Alien 1 anyway .
    I havent tried it on the Alien 2 yet .

4.5 boots faster and is more stable from my usage.
    Autobouquetsmaker kept crashing on 5.3 ,it runs perfectly on 4.5.
    Certain icons didnt appear in the plugins menu in 5.3.
    History Zap didnt work properly in 5.3.

I believe a few other users on here have tried 5.3 on the Alien 2 and reverted to 4.5 .

Ah right... thats cool. I updated it a bit to include the latest versions of the plugins and its running a treat, just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing out.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for the tips etc. I've done a lot of investigation now and it looks to be a problem with tuner B on the STB. When I do a full manual scan on tuner A, I get ~900 channels. The same scan on tuner B, only returns half that amount. I've tried switching the feeds (i.e. put the cable from the good tuner A into the bad tuner B), but I get the same result. It must be a STB issue.

Looks like I'm going to have to return it. :(
    Thats a band or polarity switching problem. That's the tone or voltage sent up the cable is missing. Check the tuned channels, are they all in the upper or lower frequencies. Most FTA in the lower band, most Sly an encrypted in the upper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement