Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

TheDoc wrote: »
    Ugh actually despise WiFi.

Got the alien 2 WiFi adapter from freetv for the Dad. Was able to enable the drivers and can see the wifi network when I scan, it jus won't connect

the encryption method can vary , and also the new eircom routers have a space in there name and then 2.4 and 5ghz . some boxs do not handle the space in the wifi name .

for spark on the amiko alien 2 i edited the name to take out the space and anything after that in the modem setup and then they all connected

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭aireng

TheDoc wrote: »
    Ugh actually despise WiFi.

Got the alien 2 WiFi adapter from freetv for the Dad. Was able to enable the drivers and can see the wifi network when I scan, it jus won't connect

This wifi adapter takes your wifi signal and converts it into ethernet. Tried it on the box for months and works perfectly https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Bridge-Dongle-Dreambox-Microsoft/dp/B005OIB6XI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1469143160&sr=8-9&keywords=wifi+to+ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Got it all working in the end. Disabled his password and then it connected and took down dns, gateway and **** (ridiculous you cant enter static ip details) and then turned security back on and fine. Da is chuffed

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GSeamus

Amiko Alien 2 triple tuner, Enigma2 Hyperion V4.5 - How do I play AVI, MKV files, do I use the front USB port or the back?

JG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

GSeamus wrote: »
    Amiko Alien 2 triple tuner, Enigma2 Hyperion V4.5 - How do I play AVI, MKV files, do I use the front USB port or the back?

JG

Been a while since I used it but I almost certain Hyperion doesn't like mkv files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 GSeamus

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Been a while since I used it but I almost certain Hyperion doesn't like mkv files.

I put the USB in the front port, I have one in the back for epg/picons. I can't see the usb at all to get to the AVI files. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I put the USB in the front port, I have one in the back for epg/picons. I can't see the usb at all to get to the AVI files. Any ideas?

Try swapping the USB sticks? Try another USB stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

JG

It really only likes avi if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

cian_r wrote: »
    Hi all
    Been a few days since I updated on this long running issue ;)

So sent the box back and the supplier confirmed a problem with the second tuner. So, new box installed and things are better but still a couple of issues I would be grateful for some advice on. Here is what I have done so far:

1) Manual scan on tuner A returns ~950 channels ... OK
    2) Manual scan on tuner B returns ~950 channels ... OK
    3) Run crossepg downloader ... OK
    4) Run crossepg downloader again (just for the hell of it) ... OK
    5) Add new custom bouquet of channels (with dreambox edit) ... OK
    6) Restart engima and check new bouquet is there ... OK
    7) Run crossepg downloader again ... NOT OK

When I run crossepg downloader after I edit the channel list with dreambox editor, the downloader hands at the stage "parsing summaries". The new bouquet is a mix of Saorview and FTA Sat channels. I've left it running for 30 minutes or more and it doesnt come back.

Any thoughts??

Unless you have two Seperate satellites to tune in, you are better off just tuning in B and setting C = B. That way any calls from the epg or timers will always reference B and then C, so both tuners have access to identical service lists. Cross needs C to be free but also to have the epg channel info in its service list. I can't say for sure if tuning the the two tuners independently but with the same sat will cause it to behave differently than just tuning B and setting C = B, but my guess is that it would.
    EDIT. I'm thinking that independent tuners set up like you have will only work until you start creating your own bouquets. These will reference a particular tuner, as if you had them independently tuned. If you are using that tuner the cross may not recognise the other tuner as being available for scanning the epg channel. Cross can be set up to scan different epg sources depending on which sat you are connected to. For sure if you disable one tuner cross is able to use the other even though it is in use for program, but when both are enabled, they have to sing off the same sheet for epg scanning to work. I left a stream open on my phone in a vlc window in the background overnight, the other tuner was showing a different channel on tv and during the night the scheduled cross epg download stuck as both tuners were occupied, so it's touchy in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 noleybaby

I've created my own customised channel list and manage this through dreambox edit. When an update comes through from autobouquets my list gets overwritten. My work around right now is to disable the update, save my channel list and then now and again run a new update and change my channels around to suit. What I would love to happen is that the channel list I've made remains as is but the channels within get updated by autobouquets. Any ideas if this is possible ?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

noleybaby wrote: »
    I've created my own customised channel list and manage this through dreambox edit. When an update comes through from autobouquets my list gets overwritten. My work around right now is to disable the update, save my channel list and then now and again run a new update and change my channels around to suit. What I would love to happen is that the channel list I've made remains as is but the channels within get updated by autobouquets. Any ideas if this is possible ?

Thanks.
    With Autobouquets (not AutobouquetMaker, different plugin), when you run it , it creates a Sky like channel list at the top of the bouquet tree, You custom list should be intact further down, It's just a matter of moving it back up the list to be the default bouquet on startup. Channels in this bouguet and their references will be the same, though if channels in the service list have been updated then some of your references may be dead. You can delete these and replace from the new service list, or from the AB generated bouquets. I recall way back that there are config file possibilities in AB to decide the structure of the EPG when it's run, which might ensure that your custom list stays on top, but I never got into it. DB edit will swap the order of bouquets in an instant, or easily done from the remote control

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Anyone tell me what the best/newest version of these boxes is out for approx €150-€200?

Have an original Amiko Alien 2 triple tuner and looking to upgrade

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

zefer wrote: »
    Anyone tell me what the best/newest version of these boxes is out for approx €150-€200?

Cheers

funny that as im looking to upgrade myself.i have a budget of 200-250.nearly time to retire my alien 2 to a spare room

funny that as im looking to upgrade myself.i have a budget of 200-250.nearly time to retire my alien 2 to a spare room

the thing is the box has still the best picture quality around of any simular boxs

so its a waste of money buying anything else

Nowso wrote: »
    the thing is the box has still the best picture quality around of any simular boxs

ya i agree but mine is getting sluggish and slower even after a fresh install

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Ok, phrase it a different way. If you were recommending a box to someone that doesnt have one, what would you recommend?
    The alien 2 can be so slow and laggy going through menus etc..

it can i use spark mostly . try do a force install through the boot and instead of selecting enigma 2 with the middle button hit right its slower but might change it a bit

other than that try a different image . i have the vix4 image installed , its more upto date and there are some others around

if mine stopped working id end up having to buy A replacement tbh

it can i use spark mostly . try do a force install through the boot and instead of selecting enigma 2 with the middle button hit right its slower but might change it a bit

other than that try a different image . i have the vix4 image installed , its more upto date and there are some others around

if mine stopped working id end up having to buy A replacement tbh

Have u got a backup we can use thanks

Have u got a backup we can use thanks

Or a link to one please cheers

Or a link to one please cheers

theres one from end of june to try , needs Changing soarview set up for your area in antenna setup and autobouqetsmaker, then Channel scan and autobouqetmaker update and turning epg on

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2tjkyq2tlcgg4gw/Alien2-Vix4-2.2.3-20thJune.zip?dl=0

• Advertisement

theres one from end of june to try , needs Changing soarview set up for your area in antenna setup and autobouqetsmaker, then Channel scan and autobouqetmaker update and turning epg on

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2tjkyq2tlcgg4gw/Alien2-Vix4-2.2.3-20thJune.zip?dl=0

thank you has this the sky q skin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Zardoz

ya i agree but mine is getting sluggish and slower even after a fresh install

You see thats your problem there
    Those Sky Skins are crap ,they are hugely demanding ,that's why your receiver is slow and menu switching is sluggish.
    Use a light skin like PLi HD ,it gives much superior performance.

its got a blue hd skin . there are others you can download from plugins i think

Zardoz wrote: »
    You see thats your problem there
    Those Sky Skins are crap ,they are hugely demanding ,that's why your receiver is slow and menu switching is sluggish.
    Use a light skin like PLi HD ,it gives much superior performance.

thats what im using and its still sluggish after a few days even with clearing with cacheflush

thats what im using and its still sluggish after a few days even with clearing with cacheflush

You really need to reboot the receiver at least once a day ,otherwise the swap file becomes sluggish and slows the receiver down.

You really need to reboot the receiver at least once a day ,otherwise the swap file becomes sluggish and slows the receiver down.

really is that what is needed to keep the box in perfect order.mine is always in standby.didnt think it made a difference

zefer wrote: »

Cheers

There is a good thread here about the best Enigma 2 boxes .
    Some good bargains in there .
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057404110&page=36

For a low budget the Edision Mini is great value
    http://www.freetv.ie/edision-os-mini-twin-tuner.html
    €114.56 for twin tuner with "boards.ie" coupon discount. (7.5% discount)
    One of these for 6 euro makes it a triple tuner with dtt.
    http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_188372.html
    This combination works perfectly with VIX image.

The Xpeed LX2 ,is similar to the Edision Mini but its cpu is a bit slower and it doesnt have wifi built in.
    Its ~100 euro on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Interstar-LX2-Satellite-Receiver/dp/B00FYD3ICA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1470233487&sr=1-1&keywords=xpeed+lx2

Moving up in power the Xtrend Et8500 and Et10000 are currently on offer at Hm-Sat.
    The Twin tuners are 207 euro delivered and the Triple tuners are 247 euro delivered.
    These are pretty high end receivers ,especially the Et10000,its a similar spec to the much higher priced Vu Duo 2.
    https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdtv-receiver-sat/xtrend/2431/xtrend-et-8500-hd-2x-dvb-s2-tuner-linux-full-hd-hbbtv-receiver-pvr-ready?c=52
    https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdtv-receiver-sat/xtrend/2099/xtrend-et-10000-hd-2x-dvb-s2-/-1x-dvb-c/t2-hybrid-tuner-white-pvr-ready-linux-full-hd-hbbtv-receiver?c=52

Those are some of the good upgrades you could get at the moment.

Nowso is right though re picture quality ,no other enigma2 receiver will come close to the picture quality of the Aliens.
    Its probably not as big an issue on a small tv but on anything over 40 inches its very noticeable .

really is that what is needed to keep the box in perfect order.mine is always in standby.didnt think it made a difference

It makes a huge difference .

It makes a huge difference .

thanks for that will do it from now on and see

• Advertisement

ok loaded that vix image quiet fast but how do i get th0se channels working.totally different setup here to huperion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement