Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

bk wrote: »
    I know that the Alien 2 can support both Saorview and FTA Sat, but I wonder can it also support analogue TV, in particular UPC's Analogue TV service?

If yes, then:

- Can you use UPC Analogue, Saorview and FTA sat at the same time?
    - Can the UPC Analogue be on the same EPG as the others?
    - Can you record, etc. the UPC Analogue service?

Thanks for any help.

Doesn't work with Upc analogue. I tried before!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I know that the Alien 2 can support both Saorview and FTA Sat, but I wonder can it also support analogue TV, in particular UPC's Analogue TV service?

If yes, then:

Thanks for any help.

No it wont support UPC analogue as it isnt a digital signal .
    The Alien 2 has one DVB-T/C tuner so it can decode either a digital (Mpeg) terrestrial or cable signal ,i.e Saorview or UPC Digital ,but not both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

If yes, then:

Thanks for any help.

I don't see why it shouldn't as long as it's not encrypted, it supports cable as it's got a standard dvb-t tuner that supports mpeg4 which is backward compatible with mpeg2. It'll not support Saorview and another frequency on the tuner at the same time, the same reason you cannot record from both Saorview muxes at the same time.

Edit, corrected above, disregard the first bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Just installed Fresh Pots new Openatv Beta image, all seems to be working fine apart from web access.

I have it connected to the internet via homeplugs, its capable of downloading and using RTE player etc but I cannot access it via the boxes IP address - I just get a *ip* is not available through a browser but it does ping via command prompt and succeed - any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

You are entering :8888 after the ip address aren't you!?

• Advertisement

hallo dare wrote: »
    You are entering :8888 after the ip address aren't you!?

Yep, found out the issue was even stupider than that! In trying to find out what IP the box was being assigned I checked my routers active sessions but it was only showing the Wi-Fi ones although the box is connected via ethernet so I was attempting to connect to the wrong IP - thanks anyways though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mossym wrote: »
    Okay fixed the egg issue. User error

Definitely something up with the champion image I downloaded though..sat channels work fine. Rtenl channels messed up though. Rte one doesn't work at all and causes the box to stutter big time. Others work but stutter. All rtenl were working okay before I installed the image. Any ideas? Multiple rescans tried

fixed the missing Rte1 too. however, now i'm having massive stuttering on all Saorview channels. Satellite are fine. RTE's fine on all other tv's boxes in the house .

mossym wrote: »
    fixed the missing Rte1 too. however, now i'm having massive stuttering on all Saorview channels. Satellite are fine. RTE's fine on all other tv's boxes in the house .

Seems to be a problem with lots of skins on openatv 4.2. Only one that I can get to work smoothly is the default metrix one. Running this image with a USB 3.0 hard drive seems to improve it though. Fixes the slowness on saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Running this image with a USB 3.0 hard drive seems to improve it though. Fixes the slowness on saorview.

That seems odd as the usb ports on the receiver are USB 2.0 .
    Maybe the newer revisions are 3.0 ??

Zardoz wrote: »
    That seems odd as the usb ports on the receiver are USB 2.0 .
    Maybe the newer revisions are 3.0 ??

No, my box is at least 2 years old at this stage. A few people have said it in the past about the usb3.0 hdds working better. Don't know what it is, they just work better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

MAIN FEATURES

MPEG-Fully DVB-S / DVB-S2 / DVB-T / DVB-C HD compliant
    Dual Boot - Linux Embedded OS
    Two Conax Embedded Card Readers
    HbbTV - Interactive Television
    Interactive Web Applications right on your Television
    Youtube, SHOUTcast, Picasa, Twitter, Google Talk!, RSS Reader, and much more!
    Opera Web Browser with FlashLite
    USB WiFi Connection & 3G Internet Modem Support
    USB Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Support
    Ethernet Connection RJ45
    Multi-Satellite Reception with DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and USALS
    S/PDIF for PCM Audio, Dolby Digital Bit-Stream output
    FullHD 1080p output via HDMI
    Endless channels (TV and Radio) programmable
    Two High Speed USB2.0 Ports (with USB HUB Support!)
    AVI, MKV, MPG, TS, M2TS, FLV, DAT, ASF, MP3 playback
    Online Subtitles
    TimeShifting and Recording on different Channels at the same time
    Easy-To-Use Online Software Upgrades & Channel Lists
    Online User's Manual & F.A.Q Videos
    Alphanumeric VFD Display
    Endless possibilities with Plug-In support
    Program and Channel information transfer from receiver to receiver
    Software Upgrade support via USB or Internet
    <0.5W Power Consumption in Stand-By Mode
    Design & development by X-Port

Yep acording to the spec its usb 2.0

And I believe the usb 3 drive will slow down to usb 2 speeds when plugged into a usb 2 port 480mbs
    That 480 mb is shared between devices on the bus

http://superuser.com/questions/278670/using-usb-3-0-to-speed-up-transfer-between-usb-2-0-devices

After installing Fresh Pots OpenATV image, all is working perfectly bar CrossEPG.

When I installed the image, I had a flash disk in it formatted to FAT32 in order to have it work with spark - once I booted I realised that Permanent timeshift required a drive formatted to EXT2/3

I formatted the drive to EXT3, and permanent timeshift/recording works perfectly - but CrossEPG is intermittent.

Yesterday, I could not get it to work until I temporarly switched the storage from usb to internal and toggled it back - which it then downloaded the EPG, but since the update last night channel information has gone missing?

Is there an issue with the format my USB key is in or what's the resolution?

cheers,

Kev

Kevin! wrote: »
    After installing Fresh Pots OpenATV image, all is working perfectly bar CrossEPG.

Is there an issue with the format my USB key is in or what's the resolution?

cheers,

Kev

Haven't had any problems with it myself other than when I try and download the schedule manually. It then seems to stick some times but I think that was more down to the bluehd skin hogging all the memory. I went back to the default metrix skin nd that seems to have fixed things.
    Have you definitely got it to update during the night? And have you got it set to force epg reload on boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

championc wrote: »

I understand the views of others saying to stay away from the Beta OpenATV but I can't find much wrong with it to be honest. The only feature I can find so far that won't work is HDMI-CEC.

I did a software update on your image today and the HDMI-CEC is now working:)

Overall I have experienced a few crashes and other problems with this image - but I am still using it after almost a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I switched from hyperion4 to fresh pots openatv image today. So far so good. For anyone switching I hope I'll save you some time by telling you to go into the hdd manager and making sure swap is set up. As the swap location is different it needs a swap file created. Otherwise it runs with flash swap and crashes when trying to do a crossepg download. I also had an issue with the time shift plugin, where it was disabled and yet it continued to write to the disk, so I had to remove that.

In the course of setting up the image I updated the software and then found that openwebinf was causing a reboot loop. So I removed that plugin manually by moving the extension folder aside. I went to see if I could reinstall the plugin but could not find it anywhere via the download options. I did find the webinterface extension and that installed but it's not configurable anywhere and when I look at it it looks like it partially links back to the nonexistent openwebinf.

You'll note that I am interchangeably using plugin/extension, as I'm confused about whether there's a difference, especially as there are multiple places to configure the same thing...

Ix

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Am using Fresh Pots Hv4 for a number of months happily.
    Last night I upgraded TSMedia to 7.8 from 7.5 and none of the links work anymore, they fail with "Unable to get stream link"
    I uninstalled it from the plugins and tried to reinstall 7.5 but 7.8 is the only version available.

- Anyone know how to downgrade TS media back to 7.5?

- Also, would people suggest moving from Hv4 to freshpots new openATV image or is it worth the hassle seeing as Hv4 is working well for me ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

cork_south wrote: »
    Am using Fresh Pots Hv4 for a number of months happily.
    Last night I upgraded TSMedia to 7.8 from 7.5 and none of the links work anymore, they fail with "Unable to get stream link"
    I uninstalled it from the plugins and tried to reinstall 7.5 but 7.8 is the only version available.

- Anyone know how to downgrade TS media back to 7.5?

- Also, would people suggest moving from Hv4 to freshpots new openATV image or is it worth the hassle seeing as Hv4 is working well for me ?

Have you a backup made? Quick reflash and you're sorted!

I'm also using FP's HV4 and think it's great. I flashed the open ATV image and didn't like it at all. Went straight back to HV4, it does all I need in relation to channel viewing, I'm not bothered about anything else after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I flashed the open ATV image and didn't like it at all. Went straight back to HV4, it does all I need in relation to channel viewing, I'm not bothered about anything else after that.
    +1 on that. I've tried several peoples ATV images and my own builds but find ATV slow, clunky and very unstable still. After many hours of frustration with it I invariably return to my own build of Hyp4 which does pretty much all I want with 99% reliability.

okay, over hte weekend i got the box pretty much set up to my liking, only issue remains that rte1 is completely unwatchable . freezes/stutters constantly. no matter what the skin. everything else works fine now though, epg sorted, streaming over webif, all good.

just a question on the previous few posts, what is the difference between ATV and hyperion, are they both just e2 images?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Have you a backup made? Quick reflash and you're sorted!

I'm also using FP's HV4 and think it's great. I flashed the open ATV image and didn't like it at all. Went straight back to HV4, it does all I need in relation to channel viewing, I'm not bothered about anything else after that.

I have backups taken, but anytime Ive tried to apply my own backup in the past I've had issues.
    I found a 7.5 version of TSMedia here if anyone else gets affected, I uploaded it to /tmp and installed it from PKteam Blue Panel. All is working again.
    7.5: http://www.gulfup.com/?FIq8ub

Thx for the heads up on OpenATV, I am happy with Hv4 so dont want to go down the route of putting buggy s/w on the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I keep getting a green screen when trying to do an automatic scan on a Hyperion 4 backup image (Fresh Pots). I've got the log but it means nothing to me unfortunately.

I was going to try and do a manual scan to mimic what is is happening in the automatic scan, but just fo rthe satellite channels.

I've downloaded a new satellites.xml and ftp'ed to the box. Its in the correct location, i found the details for this on the old enigma 2 thread.

When i go into manual scan and select OK with the default options, it only scans 12 channels. I noticed that an option (I'm in work now so i can't check to see what they are) can be changed but i left it at that last night as i wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do.

What do i need to change the options in the manual scan to mimic what happends in the automatic scan for sat channels?

TIA

cork_south wrote: »
    I have backups taken, but anytime Ive tried to apply my own backup in the past I've had issues.
    I found a 7.5 version of TSMedia here if anyone else gets affected, I uploaded it to /tmp and installed it from PKteam Blue Panel. All is working again.
    7.5: http://www.gulfup.com/?FIq8ub

Thx for the heads up on OpenATV, I am happy with Hv4 so dont want to go down the route of putting buggy s/w on the box.

May be a little late but
    If you uninstall Ts Media then go back in to download plugins
    it installs 7.5 and you have to upgrade again to get 7.8

Scrap that
    I upgraded from 7.5 to 7.8
    Was very slow and did not load any streams even on youtube
    I uninstalled the whole thing
    Went back into download plugins and it downloaded 7.5 again I checked for updates and it updated to 7.8 I upgradeded again still slow & no streams
    I uninstalled again went back into download with the intention of 7.5 but this time it went straight to 7.8 and now the streams appear to work
    Go figure

I keep getting a green screen when trying to do an automatic scan on a Hyperion 4 backup image (Fresh Pots). I've got the log but it means nothing to me unfortunately.

I was going to try and do a manual scan to mimic what is is happening in the automatic scan, but just fo rthe satellite channels.

I've downloaded a new satellites.xml and ftp'ed to the box. Its in the correct location, i found the details for this on the old enigma 2 thread.

When i go into manual scan and select OK with the default options, it only scans 12 channels. I noticed that an option (I'm in work now so i can't check to see what they are) can be changed but i left it at that last night as i wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do.

What do i need to change the options in the manual scan to mimic what happends in the automatic scan for sat channels?

TIA
    Did you reboot after the new sat.xml

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpqhrpjduubs4gw/AABMnD06x7q0hJaOOU9YEfK3a?dl=0
    satellites.xml found in etc/tuxbox

• Registered Users Posts: 16 davehal

Hi, I have a request.
    Would someone be able to recommend what they consider to be the most stable image.
    I don't need any jazzy graphics or features, apart from 7 day EPG and recording. I just want something that's reliable. I have saorview and the UK free to air channels (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, etc). The missus is sick of the messing around :-)

Any advise would be appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Championc has an open ARP image I'm using with virtually no issues of any kind

davehal wrote: »
    Hi, I have a request.
    Would someone be able to recommend what they consider to be the most stable image.
    I don't need any jazzy graphics or features, apart from 7 day EPG and recording. I just want something that's reliable. I have saorview and the UK free to air channels (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, etc). The missus is sick of the messing around :-)

Any advise would be appreciated!!!
    In my opinion the most stable image is the original
    Spark
    Not very pretty though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Technofobe wrote: »
    Did you reboot after the new sat.xml

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpqhrpjduubs4gw/AABMnD06x7q0hJaOOU9YEfK3a?dl=0
    satellites.xml found in etc/tuxbox

I turned the STB back on today and ran a manual scan.

I chose tuner B, single satellite. Scan came back with 740 channels however i seem to have lost a few of the obscure ones which the missus might watch from time to time.

Prob best if i re-flash the image.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 16 davehal

Hi,

I loaded Champs OpenAT-V image this evening and everything looks good, except it's lost RTE 1, RTE + 1 plus a few other channels. RTE 2, TV3 are ok. So it seems like it's only picking up one MUX and not the other. I tried a manual scan on channels 46 and 56 which are the channels for my transmitter but it only finds the channels on MUX 1 but not on MUX 2. It doesn't seem to matter which channel I pick in the manual scan, I get the same results. I've also tried an automatic scan with the same results.
    Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas?
    Cheers!

I turned the STB back on today and ran a manual scan.

I chose tuner B, single satellite. Scan came back with 740 channels however i seem to have lost a few of the obscure ones which the missus might watch from time to time.

Prob best if i re-flash the image.

Thanks for your help
    Did you do a blind scan ?
    As I have done a scan on my father in laws box and it missed some channels when set to only FTA

• Advertisement

davehal wrote: »
    Hi,

I loaded Champs OpenAT-V image this evening and everything looks good, except it's lost RTE 1, RTE + 1 plus a few other channels. RTE 2, TV3 are ok. So it seems like it's only picking up one MUX and not the other. I tried a manual scan on channels 46 and 56 which are the channels for my transmitter but it only finds the channels on MUX 1 but not on MUX 2. It doesn't seem to matter which channel I pick in the manual scan, I get the same results. I've also tried an automatic scan with the same results.
    Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas?
    Cheers!

are you sure it;s 56? i thought they were usually 3 apart. did you try deleting the existing channels before scanning, i had to do that to get it to work

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement